Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jfklganyc
Topic Author

MXP Redo

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:24 am

Versus 6 months ago, MXP terminal 1 is looking better.

But one point of contention

In a design only Italians could come up with, you go through immigration while looking out big windows onto the ramp and departing US aircraft sitting at the gate...but after clearing immigration instead of walking right for a short walk to the gate, you now walk through a duty free store that spans the entire space between the two concourses, then make a U turn and walk back the entire length between the two concourses in an empty, sterile corridor

They make a short walk to the gate area a very very very long U turn.

Thinking of disabled, very old, very young or people who don't want to walk a half mile to the gate

[email protected]

RE: MXP Redo

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:52 am

For MXP finding a working toilet in a clean state would be a massive improvement. What a dump of an airport.
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue." Steven McCroskey, Airplane!

AA737-823

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:53 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Thread starter):
In a design only Italians could come up with, you go through immigration while looking out big windows onto the ramp and departing US aircraft sitting at the gate...but after clearing immigration instead of walking right for a short walk to the gate, you now walk through a duty free store that spans the entire space between the two concourses, then make a U turn and walk back the entire length between the two concourses in an empty, sterile corridor

The Italians certainly do NOT have the market cornered on that nonsense. Maybe the stereotypical Italians you speak of are busy designing airports other than their own, but I've been to plenty of airports (Zurich comes to mind, but Singapore, Dubai, and others are included) where a person has to walk through a dozen shopping malls before they remember that there are aircraft located somewhere on the property.

aerdingus

Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:22 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 1):
For MXP finding a working toilet in a clean state would be a massive improvement. What a dump of an airport.

Oh God yes.

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 2):

The Italians certainly do NOT have the market cornered on that nonsense.

I agree. My base airport GRO recently got done up like this...now takes a minute longer to McDonald's when on airport standby!! Other airports I've seen rejigged like this are STN & BCN.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

Francoflier

Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:30 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Thread starter):
Thinking of disabled, very old, very young or people who don't want to walk a half mile to the gate

The disabled's, elderly's and young's money is as good as anybody's...

I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

SCQ83

Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:00 pm

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 3):
I agree. My base airport GRO recently got done up like this...now takes a minute longer to McDonald's when on airport standby!!

Not only GRO, but most Spanish airports have suffered this treatment recently (even the newer terminals) in order to get more revenue now AENA is in the stock market and is soon to be privatized.

MAD (both T-1-2-3 and also T4) airside is a completely different airport than 5 years ago. They closed/moved security and passport controls so you have to walk more through the airside (removing "short-cuts") and there is no way to avoid the new walk-through duty-free areas and shopping areas (which feel exactly like a luxury mall).

Kind of a Kafkaesque experience to make you buying some sh_t you don't need. Soon all major airports will look like that IKEA labyrinth  

LOWS

Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:01 pm

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 3):

The Italians certainly do NOT have the market cornered on that nonsense.

I agree. My base airport GRO recently got done up like this...now takes a minute longer to McDonald's when on airport standby!! Other airports I've seen rejigged like this are STN & BCN.

Also, the new Star Alliance terminal at VIE. I seem to recall something similar in the new wing at FRA, too.

At SZG, it's off to the side, but if you want to use the toilet, you have to walk through the duty free shop.

I don't mind the walking part, I often go for long walks when I have connections.

But I can't stand the perfume smells that permeate those places.

jsnww81

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:29 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 1):
What a dump of an airport.

So true. The first time I visited MXP (in 2006) I couldn't believe the terminal was only eight years old. For a facility opened in 1998, it lacks the light, spaciousness and smart design of airports opened at the same time. Architecturally, it feels more like something designed and built in the mid-1980s.

Now that it's gotten the retail-uber-alles treatment (the only design element the British have contributed to the world of airport design in the last 30 years) I'm sure it's even more charmless.

UALWN

Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:06 am

Quoting LOWS (Reply 6):
I seem to recall something similar in the new wing at FRA, too.

Correct, in order to get to the new Z gates from the A gates (that would be connecting from Shengen to the US, for instance), you need to go through a large duty-free store...
AT7/111/146/Avro/CRJ/CR9/EMB/ERJ/E75/F50/100/L15/DC9/D10/M8X/717/727/737/747/757/767/777/787/AB6/310/32X/330/340/350/380

IndianicWorld

Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:47 am

The Duty Free operators and general retail bring in a lot of revenue for airports, so the move to squeeze in more space is not unexpected.

At the end of the day, as airports become more and more commercially focused (ie. Profit), not just exercises in prestige as many once were, airports are having to look at additional revenue streams remain competitive and to invest in the future infrastructure projects required.

As for MXP, it seemed to have dusted off plans from the decade prior when it built its new terminal. When I was there in around 2004 it was already looking tired.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos