Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sq452
Topic Author

MH52 Severely Delayed...Again. Any Ideas?

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:12 pm

Flying up to KIX in a few days on MH and just so happened to check flightaware for MH52 (KUL to KIX) and noticed in the history that it has been severely delayed multiple times in the month of February, including delays of over five hours the past two nights.

Flight is scheduled to depart KUL at 23:50 for the red-eye up to KIX but both Feb 13 and Feb 14 flights left/are leaving at the crack of dawn now around 05:00 or 06:00.

Further research shows that the Feb 11 flight didn't leave till nearly 3am coupled with three other days in the beginning of the month of 2-5 hour delays.

I know aircraft get delayed all the time, but I find this severe delay at this frequency for a single flight in a two week period highly unusual. Anyone know why? Just seems incredibly odd to have so many in such a short period for such significantly long delays.

Data points here: http://www.airportia.com/flights/mh52/kuala_lumpur/osaka/
SIN > CVG > BOS

EK413

RE: MH52 Severely Delayed...Again. Any Ideas?

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:11 pm

I'm only taking a wild guess, with the loss of 2 B777s and nil replacements in sight with exception of a B744 perhaps not enough slack in the fleet? Therefore MH52 concenquently is delayed awaiting an aircraft (if this flight is operated by a B777).

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

sq452
Topic Author

Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:10 am

Aircraft is an A330-300. The inbound aircraft for this flight -when I can track it- seems to come from PVG but that flight doesn't seem to be delayed so there isn't a knock on effect. The loss of two B772 in the last year also doesn't have anything to do with it as MH has adjusted their schedule accordingly and MH52 has operated on time a handful of days already in February.

For what it's worth MH52 departing Sunday night the 15th is already delayed 2.5 hours and we are still 12 hours from scheduled departure.

What is going on???
SIN > CVG > BOS

egph

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:35 am

Well taking a quick look on Flightradar24's data service it shows that for both the 13th and 14th February MH52 was operated by planes inbound from Australia which landed on time but many hours after MH52's scheduled departure.

FR24 is giving me what I think are Zulu times and it's too early in the morning here for me to convert them:

14 Feb - operated by 9M-MTK

MH52s scheduled departure time in Zulu time is 15:50.
9M-MTK arrived into KUL from BNE at 21:05 Zulu which was 15 mins ahead of schedule. 9M-MTK lifted off as MH52 at 22:50 Zulu (7 hours behind)

13 Feb - operated by 9M-MTI

9M-MTK was inbound from SYD and landed on time at 09:15 Zulu and departed as MH52 at 11:35 Zulu, only 45 mins late.

Certainly an aircraft issue here is it's used twice in a row by aircraft that were not due in until after the scheduled take-off.

dash8

Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:58 am

Quoting EGPH (Reply 3):

Im pretty sure Zulu is the same as UTC.

9MMPD

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:06 pm

9M-MTL which operated the MH125/124 arrived 4 hours late into Perth tonight could MH52 be a knock on for the late inbound MH124?

IndianicWorld

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:29 pm

Sounds like some significant scheduling issues being encountered .

Not good for customer perception really. Let's hope they can sort it out soon.

sq452
Topic Author

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Quoting 9MMPD (Reply 5):
9M-MTL which operated the MH125/124 arrived 4 hours late into Perth tonight could MH52 be a knock on for the late inbound MH124?

That could be it. Looks like tonights flight (15 Feb) has been retimed to 01:00 (1 hour 10 minute delay). Tomorrow is still showing on time but it's still way too early.

Quoting EGPH (Reply 3):

Well taking a quick look on Flightradar24's data service it shows that for both the 13th and 14th February MH52 was operated by planes inbound from Australia which landed on time but many hours after MH52's scheduled departure.

FR24 is giving me what I think are Zulu times and it's too early in the morning here for me to convert them:

14 Feb - operated by 9M-MTK

MH52s scheduled departure time in Zulu time is 15:50.
9M-MTK arrived into KUL from BNE at 21:05 Zulu which was 15 mins ahead of schedule. 9M-MTK lifted off as MH52 at 22:50 Zulu (7 hours behind)

13 Feb - operated by 9M-MTI

9M-MTK was inbound from SYD and landed on time at 09:15 Zulu and departed as MH52 at 11:35 Zulu, only 45 mins late.

Certainly an aircraft issue here is it's used twice in a row by aircraft that were not due in until after the scheduled take-off.

I think you're off by about an hour (8 hours behind not 7) but it seems to be an aircraft issue if anything. I don't think MH flight ops would be so naive to schedule planes and block flights in such a manner where a severe delay of an aircraft on a certain flight sector would send ripple affects through the system 48 hours out. I can understand a specific aircraft operating two or three flight sectors in a row with 2 hour breaks in between but eventually the aircraft will get a longer layover somewhere in the system of 5-7 hours either RON'ing somewhere or back at home base. International airlines are usually pretty good from my experience about this.

MH53 was delayed about 4 hours today due to the severe late arrival of MH52. But they were able to turn the plane in about an hour or so at KIX so credit the ground crew there. The plane is supposed to sit on the ground in KIX about 5 hours between flights.

Stay tuned...lets see what transpires over the next 24 hours with MH52/MH53 but it seems their flight ops department has dropped the ball over the last 48 hours.
SIN > CVG > BOS

sq452
Topic Author

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:43 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 6):
Sounds like some significant scheduling issues being encountered .

Not good for customer perception really. Let's hope they can sort it out soon.

Yeah seriously. It's a good airline honestly that has just had a very unlucky year with the MH370 and MH17 disasters.

I took them to HK in October (insanely cheap fare) and they were great. I'm just perplexed their flight ops and scheduling department has obviously encountered a curveball and they just don't seem to know how to deal with it.
SIN > CVG > BOS

sq452
Topic Author

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:46 pm

Just speculating here but It could also be a technical issue too...we just don't know. But for that many separate aircraft to have "technical issues" would be extremely rare, almost a perfect storm of sorts.
SIN > CVG > BOS

sq452
Topic Author

Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:43 pm

MH52 for 15february has now been delayed till 02:10 on 16 February (2 hour and 20 minute delay from scheduled departure time)...Here we go again! Their flight ops is obviously completely messed up to the point they are embarrassing themselves.
SIN > CVG > BOS

9MMPQ

Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:47 pm

From 13Feb onwards this is a knock-on effect from 9M-MTA being AOG in KUL which was supposed to operate as MH52/13Feb. It still seems to be AOG. A couple of swaps in the A330 schedule arising from that since have also affected the PER flight 9M-MPD has mentioned.

I can't trace back if there were other AOGs in he fleet or delays around that time but without knowing about that & other operational constraints they might have faced in their scheduling it would be going a bit overboard to say

Quoting sq452 (Reply 10):
Their flight ops is obviously completely messed up to the point they are embarrassing themselves.

Anway, hope you'll have a good flight !
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

sq452
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:15 pm

Quoting 9MMPQ (Reply 11):
From 13Feb onwards this is a knock-on effect from 9M-MTA being AOG in KUL which was supposed to operate as MH52/13Feb. It still seems to be AOG. A couple of swaps in the A330 schedule arising from that since have also affected the PER flight 9M-MPD has mentioned.

I can't trace back if there were other AOGs in he fleet or delays around that time but without knowing about that & other operational constraints they might have faced in their scheduling it would be going a bit overboard to say

Thanks for clarifying. That makes sense if an A330 went tech or had to be grounded.

Quoting 9MMPQ (Reply 11):
Anway, hope you'll have a good flight !

Well, turns out MH52 to KIX was delayed on 16 February by nearly 7 hours. Fortunately, I hadn't checked in at my originating point (I was connecting to this flight in KUL) when I got the SMS notification on my phone (credit to MH for that!). I was transferred to another airline for a non-stop flight to KIX that only got me in about 1.5-2 hours later than planned. No hassle whatsoever from MH and the staff was great and handled it well. I have to give them credit.
SIN > CVG > BOS

9MMPQ

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:13 pm

Happy to hear things worked out for you !
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos