Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RWA380

RE: Emirates To Start A380 Service On MXP-JFK

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:07 am

Quoting planesmart (Reply 133):
So you are buying no products made in, or with components from China, India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Thailand

Correct, I go to some extent to ensure the products I buy are American made with American components. This is not always possible, then I need to decide if the item is worth it.

Quoting planesmart (Reply 133):
Not dealing with American companies employing illegal immigrants, with pay and working conditions at or below the minimum....

Try buying your clothing at Duluth Trading Company, they offer US made clothing with US made materials. Of course since you are being a smart ass, because you know there is little chance of being 100% perfect in our consumer based society, what I was saying & you know it, was that one has a responsibility to make the effort to support local when possible.

I do not buy Ralph Lauren or most any other designers because other than haute coture, most of their clothes are made in Bangladesh, Indonesia or other exploited nations. I can't even buy Levis any longer.

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 136):
I don't believe they were "mandated"; I would agree that they were permitted.

They sure were to the travelers.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

Planesmart

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:39 am

Quoting tomcbaker (Reply 139):
Highly subjective; I strongly prefer EK coach to just about any other international long haul coach product I've seen so far, especially to DXB. And I also prefer the A380, even though it has a lot of people on board. I like the extra room (I felt less cramped rather than more cramped), I like the EK service and menus and I feel that EK FA's are friendlier than most of the competition, having flown to DXB also on Delta, BA (via LHR) and KLM (via AMS) on multiple occasions. I also LOVE EK's in flight entertainment; ICE has won awards and in my experience it's far superior to anything DL, BA or KLM offer, and it's offered in coach and business.

I strongly agree. Hard to beat EK economy class on the A380 in terms of space, comfort, food, ICE, ratio of toilets to passengers, service.
However, not quite the lead when it comes to other aircraft in the fleet, but ICE, food and consistency of service is a plus.
And the EK call centre leaves the rest for dead, whatever class you've booked.

Planesmart

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:55 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 150):
Of course since you are being a smart ass,

I'm too old to be one of those.

If the US3 want to be protected and continue to enjoy high profits, and US citizens support less choice and higher prices for international flights, the USA should require all USA residents to only fly on the US3 internationally (where practical), and the rest of the World could let customers choose for themselves. Win win.

aajfksjubklyn

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:40 am

Quoting Aquila3 (Reply 113):

I also believe in Human Rights and a country who's laws discriminate against women and gays will never get my business. Their planes can be flying resorts and I wouldn't step foot on one. It's pretty pathetic in today's day in age such political and ancient court system practices still exist.

ytz

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:46 am

Quoting aajfksjubklyn (Reply 153):
I also believe in Human Rights and a country who's laws discriminate against women and gays will never get my business.

Great. Ban the US3. After all, where are LBGT rights in the US compared to Europe and Canada?

As for women's rights and benefits, ask any lady in the US about maternity/paternity leave. Absolutely horrendous by Western standards.

thekorean

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:50 am

Quoting YTZ (Reply 154):

About on the par actually.

ytz

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:56 am

Quoting thekorean (Reply 155):

The US allows same-sex marriage in every state and give women a year of maternity leave? Since when? I should really let my American relatives know of this change...

thekorean

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:58 am

Quoting YTZ (Reply 156):

Not every European countries have same sex marriage.

alfa164

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:03 am

Quoting YTZ (Reply 154):

Quoting aajfksjubklyn (Reply 153):
I also believe in Human Rights and a country who's laws discriminate against women and gays will never get my business.

Great. Ban the US3. After all, where are LBGT rights in the US compared to Europe and Canada?

Unfortunately, you are comparing a country where certain areas - particularly the South - are lagging behind the rest of the world to a part of the world where such discrimination and intolerance are a matter of law - and those Middle Eastern countries are proud to brag about their determination not to join the 20th Century (much less the 21st Century).
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

EBGflyer

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:00 am

Quoting seahawk (Reply 21):
Lucky Italy. I would wish for EK to open routes from Germany to the US.

You have Singapore Airlines flying from FRA to JFK.
Future flights: CPH-BOS; CPH-SVG; CPH-PVG-HKG-MNL-DVO; CPH-CDG; CPH-NRT; CPH-MIA; CPH-PVG

ASA

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:43 am

Quoting YTZ (Reply 138):
I don't get why on MXP-JFK. I would have thought, they'd go A380 on BOS first. But guess the demand is there....

BOS isn't ready for the whale yet ... so EK thought of sticking it up to DL I guess 

UALWN

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:03 am

Quoting thekorean (Reply 128):
Not only that but at least with China and India there is give and take relationship. ME3 countries have nothing to offer.

The huge trade deficit with China seems to indicate otherwise.

Quoting thekorean (Reply 155):

Labor laws in the US are most definitely not on par with those in Europe. Should the EU ban US airlines from the EU?
AT7/111/146/Avro/CRJ/CR9/EMB/ERJ/E75/F50/100/L15/DC9/D10/M8X/717/727/737/747/757/767/777/787/AB6/310/32X/330/340/350/380

ytz

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:22 pm

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 158):

That's my point. You can't start arguing based on certain rights standards that

Quoting thekorean (Reply 157):

Neither do the Chinese or the Koreans. Where is your campaign against them?

Seems to me that you only care about rights when it concerns the ME3.

MSN007

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 4):
Will probably cry again about open skies.

Congrats for nailing the outcome.

bobdino

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:01 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 58):
So now I will ask you...how did EK get the 5th freedom rights to fly MXP-JFK and as per my original post, do they have the rights to fly Europe-US from any port?

No one answered that. Maybe you can.

It's discussed at length in this article:
http://www.mondaq.com/x/240244/Aviat...ights+A+New+Target+On+EU+US+Routes

Details that are not in the above article include the exact regulations under which the routes are permitted, but the gist is:

It's a combination of the US-EU open skies, plus special dispensation from the Italian regulator ENAC, which Emirates asked for and received. Note that the flight must continue on to Dubai to qualify as fifth freedom.

tomcbaker

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:27 pm

Quoting planesmart (Reply 151):
However, not quite the lead when it comes to other aircraft in the fleet, but ICE, food and consistency of service is a plus.

Agreed, I flew a ratty old EK A330 from BAH-DXB and it was gross, as was the 772 I flew DXB-BAH. Both aircraft had IFE problems, the aircraft cabins were run down, and the seat I had on the 772 wouldn't recline properly (i.e., all the way back or not at all, very jerky). But I've also flown on EK 772's that were international (DFW-DXB a few years back) and it was significantly nicer and in better shape. I got the strong impression that the aircraft EK uses for shorter flights within the ME and to Africa/India are not as well maintained as their long haul 777's and A380's.
Tom

ytz

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:37 pm

Quoting tomcbaker (Reply 165):
I got the strong impression that the aircraft EK uses for shorter flights within the ME and to Africa/India are not as well maintained as their long haul 777's and A380's.

Absolutely. I remember on one trip many years back. LHR-DXB great service with metal cutlery and expensive fresheners and colognes in the lav. DXB-BOM plastic cutlery and the colognes were chained down in the lav. And I absolutely know why they did that. My parents have a set of cutlery from Air France at our house, from the 80s.

That said. It's less of an issue to put up with 2 hrs of crap service than 8 hrs of crap service when you got the ratty old bird from FRA, on LH....until their recent change to 748s and A380s.

tomcbaker

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:46 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 166):
Absolutely. I remember on one trip many years back. LHR-DXB great service with metal cutlery and expensive fresheners and colognes in the lav. DXB-BOM plastic cutlery and the colognes were chained down in the lav. And I absolutely know why they did that. My parents have a set of cutlery from Air France at our house, from the 80s.

That said. It's less of an issue to put up with 2 hrs of crap service than 8 hrs of crap service when you got the ratty old bird from FRA, on LH....until their recent change to 748s and A380s.

Same has happened to me in the past - service was more refined on North America-DXB routes and then significantly less so on DXB-Asia/Africa routes, where I might add, we also embarked/disembarked from the remote stands at DXB and took a bus to the terminal versus the Europe/North American flights at DXB which go to the actual terminal. Not to mention the dilapidated cabins of the aircraft used on these routes.

Yes I absolutely agree that LH's old A330/A340 and 744's really needed an upgrade. The worst I've seen so far are BA 763's used on long haul international, which is a separate fleet from their short haul Club Europe 763's. I've flown several times on LHR-BWI and LHR-ALA and I'm not joking when I say these were the worst 763's I've ever seen. On two out of four of my last flights on them, the flights were delayed over 2 hours (each) due to equipment problems, the last one being a GPS/INS fault. On all four of these flights, the IFE did not work properly in the forward economy cabin (all of the screens had static/noise at various times or constantly on the map screen), the cabin was ratty and dilapidated, and the washrooms were disgusting. On the last flight I took from LHR-BWI, there was approximately an inch of urine soaking the floor of one of the toilets and it would puddle when the jet was ascending or descending. Nothing was done about it for the entire trans atlantic flight. All I could think about was the last time I was on a new 773 or A380  
Tom

Andy33

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:07 pm

Quoting tomcbaker (Reply 167):
The worst I've seen so far are BA 763's used on long haul international, which is a separate fleet from their short haul Club Europe 763's. I've flown several times on LHR-BWI and LHR-ALA and I'm not joking when I say these were the worst 763's I've ever seen. On two out of four of my last flights on them, the flights were delayed over 2 hours (each) due to equipment problems, the last one being a GPS/INS fault. On all four of these flights, the IFE did not work properly in the forward economy cabin (all of the screens had static/noise at various times or constantly on the map screen), the cabin was ratty and dilapidated, and the washrooms were disgusting. On the last flight I took from LHR-BWI, there was approximately an inch of urine soaking the floor of one of the toilets and it would puddle when the jet was ascending or descending. Nothing was done about it for the entire trans atlantic flight. All I could think about was the last time I was on a new 773 or A380

Ah, the 7 unrefurbished long-haul 763s that should have gone 3 years ago if the 788s had been delivered on time. Well the 788s have all come, and the terrible 7 763s have all gone. The other seven long haul 763s had a cabin refurb (possibly paid for by Boeing?) so weren't nearly as bad, and even they are due to leave between next month and summer 2016 as deliveries of 789s and A380s allow a fleet reshuffle. The short-haul examples on the other hand will be around till 2018.

tomcbaker

Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:15 pm

Quoting andy33 (Reply 168):
Ah, the 7 unrefurbished long-haul 763s that should have gone 3 years ago if the 788s had been delivered on time. Well the 788s have all come, and the terrible 7 763s have all gone. The other seven long haul 763s had a cabin refurb (possibly paid for by Boeing?) so weren't nearly as bad, and even they are due to leave between next month and summer 2016 as deliveries of 789s and A380s allow a fleet reshuffle. The short-haul examples on the other hand will be around till 2018.

Yeah, I knew there were some good reasons why BA was forced to keep flying these nasty things. I blame Boeing equally, and for the record, I've been on some beautiful BA 777's and LAX-LHR on their A380 was great. I'm flying YVR-LHR-JNB soon, all on 744's, and I'm a little worried after my 763 experiences with BA. Hoping for the best.
Tom

VC10er

Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:55 am

To and from JFK, how does United First Class (on a 3 class aircraft) stack up by price vs Emirates Business or First Class? Certainly United does not price their Global First the same Asa's EK or even SQ?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

olle

Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:40 pm

US companies faces the fact that their point to point strategy with frequency becomes more expensive for consumer then a few A380 (if full) per day.

This means that the customers that prefer frequency and willing to pay for it they using it. Other customers who compares price an using search engines (like me) will not care too much about which company I go with as long as I pay less without travel to much additional time for the specific price. In my Job and private matters too. Private If I travel I pay for 2 adults +1 child. In some cases if I need to pay too much the trip will not happen.

In professional travel it is different. I shall arrive in the correct location connected in time to meeting etc. A few hundred USD does not matter too much in most cases.

If more carriers using A380 they will have cost advantage compared to smaller airplanes and a big part of the market is price sensitive and will go for them.

frostyj

Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:42 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 1):

that would be most people to be honest.

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 5):

Um ok? Well from EWR United use hardly any 777's to Europe so this is a big surprise.

[Edited 2015-02-21 04:44:01]
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

frostyj

Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:48 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 79):

LOL. I have been to Manchester and North Dakota and they are NOT even on the same wavelength.

An area where you don't see houses or neighbours for 20 miles is not an appropriate comparison with a city of 2 million.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos