Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Sparrow787
Topic Author

LGA Hangars

Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:54 pm

One of the old hangars of LGA is currently being demolished, the one closer to Delta's C terminal has the whole front already gone, I assume that the one next to it should be next, does this mean that construction for the new terminal can begin from there and slowly expand to the left (if viewed from the parking lot) until a whole new terminal is built?

FoxBravo

RE: LGA Hangars

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:18 pm

Quoting Sparrow787 (Thread starter):

I noticed that yesterday too--it's really coming down now.

There may have been some subsequent changes, but this is a pretty good overview of the project: http://www.panynj.gov/business-oppor...ties/pdf/project-briefing-book.pdf
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

jfklganyc

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:20 pm

That's the plan. TWA hangar almost gone. United up next

N62NA

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:38 pm

Sad to see them go, they could be seen for miles and were a unique part of LGA. But I suppose they do need to go in order for us to have much needed improvements at LGA.

737tdi

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:06 pm

A tad off subject but I wonder if any one bid to re-purpose the wood from those hangars? There were some huge timbers in the structure of those hangars and it is probably all old growth wood. Would sure hate to see all of that beautiful stuff go to waste but I would bet it is headed for a landfill. A lot of people have good memories in those buildings.

airliner371

Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:32 am

In an unprecedented move by the PANYNJ, they actually posted pictures of the progress so far.
http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lgareimagined/

Good to see progress. Hopefully in another 40 years, this new terminal will actually be up and running.

NYPECO

Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:35 am

Those hangars gave a unique look to LGA, but I guess it's necessary for modern terminals.

Sparrow787
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:46 am

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 1):

Thank you for adding the PDF file.

How long you guys think this new terminal will take to be built?

HeeseokKoo

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:06 am

Quoting Sparrow787 (Reply 7):

The document has a nice timeline, from -19 to +78 months and another 2 years of post completion stage. The question is which phase are we at. Probably phase 1 or early stage of phase 2. Then it will take 6+2 years from now on.

Sparrow787
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:19 am

I hope this doesnt turn into an extensive construction like they have on the van wyck, thats been going on for years.
I do wan't to see the outcome of this renovation, maybe Lagarbage can become a nickname of the past.

NYC-air

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:23 pm

The question is why hasn't there been any progress recently. When is the PA going to pick a contractor?

jfklganyc

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Quoting NYC-air (Reply 10):
The question is why hasn't there been any progress recently. When is the PA going to pick a contractor?

NY State took over the funding for the project because it was stalled. Same with the new AirTrain. I am not sure if the PA is picking the contractor, if NY State is, or if both are.

I think people are really going to be shocked with how close the new terminal is to the Grand Central.

There will be no airport property at all between the terminal and highway

[Edited 2015-02-18 07:59:12]

777wt

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:05 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 2):
That's the plan. TWA hangar almost gone. United up next

Then American hangars last to go...

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 4):
A tad off subject but I wonder if any one bid to re-purpose the wood from those hangars? There were some huge timbers in the structure of those hangars and it is probably all old growth wood. Would sure hate to see all of that beautiful stuff go to waste but I would bet it is headed for a landfill. A lot of people have good memories in those buildings.

Wood? I worked in the ex-TWA hangars 4 since 2006 before the shop been relocated right before it was closed down for demo.

Don't recall seeing any wood in there...it's all concrete/metal/brick structures.

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 5):
In an unprecedented move by the PANYNJ, they actually posted pictures of the progress so far.
http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lgare...ined/

Are you talking about the renderings images? I don't see any photos on there other than computer generated ones.

Good to see progress. Hopefully in another 40 years, this new terminal will actually be up and running.

The PANYNJ redevelopment page FAQ's says it's expected to be completed in 2021...we all know how construction projects rarely finish on time and almost always run over.

airliner371

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:14 pm

Quoting 777wt (Reply 12):
Are you talking about the renderings images? I don't see any photos on there other than computer generated ones.

Looks like they removed the image gallery but it had renderings and it also had photos of the construction progress. It still pops up briefly when I load the page but it disappears quickly thereafter.

eastern747

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:15 pm

The contractor will be picked once those white envelopes are passed out to the politicians....SOS

varsity

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:51 pm

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lgare...ined/

Am I missing something? I do not see any photos but did enjoy the site, particularly the PDF. I was intrigued to see how the phasing will happen and like the idea that there will be a connection to Terminal C as well. It appears to be in the post-security sterile area if I am reading the plans correctly.
AB3, DC8, DC9, DH7, D10, E90, M80, M88, 320, 321, 330, 722, 737, 733, 734, 738, 747, 744, 757, 752, 753, 772
AA, AF, B6, CO, DL, EA, EI, FI, HP, KM, LX, MS, NW, OP, PA, TW, UA, US, VS, W9, WO, YX

jfklganyc

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:57 pm

He spoke to soon

Photos came down! Haha

I saw them briefly though

aajfksjubklyn

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:03 pm

The current hangers are being torn down to erect temporary hardstands and gates for those that will be relocated when the central terminal comes down. Its part of the phasing.

afcjets

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:29 pm

This may not be fair because I have only seen one picture/drawing of the new terminal, and it looks very lackluster IMO. While the current CTB is certainly dated and beyond cramped, the new one looks so generic and if you are going to tear something down iconic, including the most vintage operational hangars in the nation, please build something better than this. This is New York after all.

777wt

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:15 pm

Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 18):
This may not be fair because I have only seen one picture/drawing of the new terminal, and it looks very lackluster IMO. While the current CTB is certainly dated and beyond cramped, the new one looks so generic and if you are going to tear something down iconic, including the most vintage operational hangars in the nation, please build something better than this. This is New York after all.

afcjets

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Quoting 777wt (Reply 19):

Thanks for sharing those pics, definitely not the one I saw, it was an interior shot of the ticket counter where the ceilings were low and no light coming in. It is definitely impressive. I am however getting a little tired of the S and wave shaped roofs on airports and other civic projects. It was popular in the late fifties or early 60s I believe and has come back with a vengeance in the last decade or so. I do think it works here though because it is such a small area and gives a feeling of spaciousness, yet I probably would have gone with something else if it were for me to choose, something more classic to represent New York.

NYC-air

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:14 pm

Well, we got more talk from the governor today but no firm announcements of anything:
http://observer.com/2015/02/cuomo-ca...hird-world-jab-slightly-insulting/

aajfksjubklyn

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:33 am

The final two consortiums are led by Aeroportes de Paris and another led Vantage airport group. Each group has 5-6 major finance and design partners. The decision was said to be late January or mid- feb. Both have passed. So soon.

HeeseokKoo

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:52 am

Quoting varsity (Reply 15):
Am I missing something? I do not see any photos but did enjoy the site, particularly the PDF. I was intrigued to see how the phasing will happen and like the idea that there will be a connection to Terminal C as well. It appears to be in the post-security sterile area if I am reading the plans correctly.

PDF link is offered at reply #1.

jfklganyc

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:56 am

"“You want to talk about business development? The gateway to business and tourism, which is very big business in New York, is the airports. And, frankly, the airports are terrible. And this is not what we deserve as New Yorkers,” he said. “We’re going to take over, and we’re going to build New York the airports we deserve.”"

I wish there was a way to tag a member on a.net. Big discussion about this last week with my NJ friend.

Understand, NY is taking over payment and redevelopment at LGA and JFK because the PA has failed to raise the funds needed to fund projects.

This is bad for NJ, a much smaller state with a more cost conscience Republican governor.

The chances of EWR projects (Terminal A) happening without NJ funding are slim.

I

NYC-air

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:05 pm

This morning they are reporting further delays. The PA is waiting for the results of Cuomo's design competition before proceeding.

Here's the link:
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...l-Renovation-Delays-292596801.html

bobnwa

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Quoting Sparrow787 (Reply 7):

It will be finished the same time as the New York to London tunnel

STT757

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:03 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 24):
“We’re going to take over, and we’re going to build New York the airports we deserve.”"

I wish there was a way to tag a member on a.net. Big discussion about this last week with my NJ friend.

Understand, NY is taking over payment and redevelopment at LGA and JFK because the PA has failed to

How does that jive then with this:

Quoting NYC-air (Reply 25):
This morning they are reporting further delays. The PA is waiting for the results of Cuomo's design competition before proceeding.

Here's the link:
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...l-Renovation-Delays-292596801.html

The Port Authority is paying for the project, the Port Authority is in charge of construction planning and selection of contractors. Outside of those issues then yes the Governor of New York and New York State are in charge  

If someone could point to where in the New York State budget there is money allocated for construction of the new CTB I would love to see it. The only place you can find the project is in the Port Authority budget.

From the Port Authority's 2015 Budget:

Quote:
Capital expenditures of $3.6 billion in 2015 provides for critical investment in our transportation assets, continued redevelopment
at the WTC site, continued restoration efforts from Superstorm Sandy and implementation of resiliency efforts to protect against
future storms. Major investment highlights include:
• Ongoing state-of-good-repair investments to maintain all Port Authority assets in good operating condition;
• Continued work on upgrades and modernization of tunnels, bridges and terminals such as, raising the Bayonne Bridge
roadway; replacing the Goethals Bridge; access improvements to the Lincoln Tunnel; rehabilitating and improving the
George Washington Bridge; and improving the quality of commute at the PABT;
• Airfield and infrastructure improvements at the region’s airports and ongoing investment in the redevelopment of
LaGuardia Airport (Central Terminal Building) and continued planning and design for Newark Liberty International Airport
(Terminal A);
• Redevelopment of critical port facilities including new berths, wharves, terminals, roadways, as well as intermodal rail
facilities;
• Improvements to the PATH rail system, including planning for PATH to Newark Liberty International Airport, to expand
capacity and improve service, modernize and upgrade stations, and replace critical fire alarm, signals and communications
systems; and
• Ongoing investment in the redevelopment of the WTC site to complete the delivery of the World Trade Center
Transportation Hub, retail development, new public open spaces, new streets and a new common WTC site infrastructure.

And where their funding comes from:

Quote:
Sources of Funds
The Port Authority relies upon its own creditworthiness to access the capital markets to raise the necessary funds for the financing of its capital programs. It is not dependent on state or local taxes from New York or New Jersey and has no power to levy its own taxes or assessments. The agency generally funds its operating and capital expenditures through operating revenues generated by its facilities, the issuance of bonds, notes and other obligations, receipt of grants, insurance proceeds and other contributions, financial income earned on its investments, and the collection of Passenger Facility Charges (PFCs) at its airports. In 2015, the sources of all funds are anticipated to be $7.8 billion, including $4.7 billion in gross operating revenues, $1.4 billion in bonds, $1.0 billion in other sources, $409 million in grants and contributions and $259 million in PFCs.
http://www.panynj.gov/corporate-info.../pdf/2015_PROPOSED_BUDGET_BOOK.pdf

The LGA project is a Port Authority project. There is no New York State department, whether the MTA or Department of Transportation, that has any money allocated for construction of the new CTB at LGA.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

jfklganyc

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:32 pm

It totally jives

They are waiting on Cuomos design competition. Not there's

And Terminal A, how's that progressing? If it's all equal and PA is funding and building it all, how come shovels are in the ground at LGA but EWR looks as it did since the 80s?

afcjets

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:33 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 28):
They are waiting on Cuomos design competition.

Does that mean the pictures in Reply 19 are just design proposals, and the design has not been decided on? The more I look at the those pics, the less I like them. The outside is impressive, but doesn't seem to fit for some reason IMO. I do not like the interior pic at all. The ceiling reminds me of what you might expect at an airport in Kenya or somewhere like that.

tommy767

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:46 am

I've always wondered of how old those hangars were? And have they been regularly used by AA, DL, UA in the last 15-20 years?
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

jfklganyc

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:14 am

They opened with the airport in 1939.

I believe 2 were torn down for the US Air Terminal in the early 90s.

The two being currently being torn down: TWA and United/Delta.

TWA was used by Eagle right to the bitter end and was always called the "TWA Hangar" internally.

I have seen United use their side of the Hangar. Not sure about Delta.

The other 3 hangars are A*A. They have a major maintenance base in there believe it or not.

So yes, all were used.

As for conditions within, I have been in all 3 A*A hangars and the TWA Hangar.

The TWA Hangar was almost a 1950s museum piece. It was a complete and utter mess inside.

The A*A hangars have falling plaster, peeling paint, cracked decrepit windows, and RATS. Lots and lots of rats.

For those that have warm and fuzzy feelings about these buildings...they deserve nothing but the wrecking ball...TWO DECADES AGO!  

Sparrow787
Topic Author

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:39 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 26):

Haha good one

FoxBravo

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:34 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 26):
It will be finished the same time as the New York to London tunnel

But possibly sometime before the 2nd Ave subway.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

airliner371

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:10 pm

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos