B8887
Topic Author

QR Denies Firing Crew Who Marry

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:07 am

Link:

http://news.yahoo.com/qatar-airways-...ff-permission-marry-074709069.html

Quote:

"The chief of Qatar Airways, Akbar al-Baker, has furiously denied claims that its flight attendants are sacked if they get married."

The controversy over the ME3s labour practices is alive and well, I think...

B8887

Plane Holland

RE: QR Denies Firing Crew Who Marry

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:09 am

2 days ago I thought about posting this article, however, you don't have to work for Qatar Airways. Give them the finger if you don't like how they work. Also doesn't Singapore Airlines 'fire' stewardess when too old?

[Edited 2015-02-18 01:10:09]

PlanesNTrains

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:09 am

Was it Richard Anderson that tipped the media off?  

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

SKAirbus

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:17 am

Quoting Plane Holland (Reply 1):
you don't have to work for Qatar Airways

That's true but when people sign up they are most likely single but during the course of a few years a lot can happen. An employer can stipulate whatever the want in the job advert, but when they start sacking people because their circumstances change. And they have no moral right to compromise the human rights of any person. Unfortunately Qatar is a country that thinks nothing of construction workers dying on a daily basis... Maybe you can justify that by saying "well, they shouldn't work in Qatar"?

Qatar Airways is a disgusting excuse for an airline and until they buck up their ideas and treat their employees with the respect and humility they deserve, I for one will not be flying with them.
Base: BRU

speedbird128

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:23 am

I know first hand of a cabin/cockpit crew relationship that had to be secret because of General Al Baker's internal policy towards couples at the airline...

They subsequently left as job security is kinda important to some people. They gave the general the finger.

Of course, ummm, certain activities in the middle east countries are not permitted unless the two individuals are married. Or nationals of that country, then you can do as you please whenever you please.

So, he might be right - they aren't getting fired. However if you threaten them with it, then it kinda becomes voluntary.

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 3):
Qatar Airways is a disgusting excuse for an airline and until they buck up their ideas and treat their employees with the respect and humility they deserve, I for one will not be flying with them.

Sadly I have to agree.

Maybe you can justify that by saying "well, they shouldn't work in Qatar"?

Pretty much sums it up.
A306, A313, A319, A320, A321, A332, A343, A345, A346 A388, AC90, B06, B722, B732, B733, B735, B738, B744, B762, B772, B7

pvjin

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:00 am

Exactly. Anyone with good moral should avoid the airline and its host country.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

bjorn14

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:01 am

I have to travel to SIN and MNL a few times a year and QR would be a great choice from OSL but for the above reason I avoid them like the plague. I'm not giving I'll Bicker a krone of my money. Thankfully, Qatar is off the table if we open a ME office.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Auchmithie

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:03 am

Quoting pvjin (Reply 5):
I for one will not be flying with them.

An excellent policy and excellent to see people here agreeing with it.

Lufthansa

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:10 am

Firmly sign me up too! I'm more than happy to fly Emirates and Etihad but Qatar is firmly on my know fly list! They don't get a single dollar. Ever!

cougar15

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:11 am

Does anybody have a link to Bakers CNN Interview? I would love to see that after all the othert threads & dick from Delta spitting the dummy as he did...??  
some you lose, others you can´t win!

ElanusNotatus

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:12 am

Quoting pvjin (Reply 5):

Exactly.

Remember that for all the vocal condemnation of QR's labour practices, overseas investors are perfectly happy to exploit the host country's labour laws if it improves the bottom line. So please direct such advise to the numerous European companies that design, build and manage various projects in Qatar.

I am sure that the shareholders in those companies would be only too happy to accept a lower dividend if it means the workers are better paid and have better working conditions. Every shareholder in those companies should be demanding this.

Better yet. Insist on sanctions. Ban the sale of Airbus aircraft to QR. Airbus directors and employees surely wouldn't mind as they will readily find other buyers with more ethical employment policies. Who could possibly object?
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

MaverickM11

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:25 am

Quoting B8887 (Thread starter):
"The chief of Qatar Airways, Akbar al-Baker, has furiously denied claims that its flight attendants are sacked if they get married."

He knows that every person QR fires under dodgy circumstances sings like a songbird to anyone that will listen right?
E pur si muove -Galileo

3rdGen

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:55 am

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 6):

I have to travel to SIN and MNL a few times a year and QR would be a great choice from OSL but for the above reason I avoid them like the plague. I'm not giving I'll Bicker a krone of my money. Thankfully, Qatar is off the table if we open a ME office.

So where will you open an office? Bahrain, Saudi, UAE, Oman, Kuwait? While your at it, you might as well shun Coke and Sprite and switch to Pepsi and 7up, they're completely different.

European and American Companies have been exploiting cheap labour throughout the world for centuries now. Why don't you go and tell your governments to stop shaking hands with these people rather than making big noise in order to try and sooth your own guilt. Your like the people who give $5 for charity to Somalia and then go and buy a pair of sneakers made in a sweatshop for $100. If you guys in the developed world really cared about issues you'de start by taking your own governments to task and realize that the real power that is allowing all this worldwide corruption is emanating from your own very backyards.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

okay

Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:41 am

Who (Westerner at least) would want to work for them anyway? As a proud gay man I would rather be unemployed until finding something suitable somewhere else than work in the ME. Just my two cents.

3rdGen

Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:25 pm

Westerners who have families to feed but can't find jobs in their home countries. That's who.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

dtw2hyd

Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:47 pm

I guess they can marry as long as they won't get pregnant, which is a big no no.

Kiwirob

Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:49 pm

Is this really a big deal? So what if they don't want married people working for them, often with younger married females it leads to babies. I don't think working for a ME3 airline is a job for life and really shouldn't be treated as such.

Some might decide not to fly with them but remeber the vast majority of passangers are not a.net members and have no idea or even really care about the employment practices of airlines. Cabin crew are there to serve you food and drink, pilots fly, and if there's an emergency you hope thart your crew is well trained, beyond that what else matters?

enilria

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:01 pm

Quoting speedbird128 (Reply 4):
Maybe you can justify that by saying "well, they shouldn't work in Qatar"?

Pretty much sums it up.
Quoting pvjin (Reply 5):
Also doesn't Singapore Airlines 'fire' stewardess when too old?

You are missing the whole point. Delta isn't pissed with Singapore Airlines, so all other questionable airline labor practices should not be mentioned.

Actually, what airline would force employees of their approved contractor to work without coats in below freezing conditions just so their uniforms are fully visible?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...-contractors-uniform-union-low-pay

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 2):
Was it Richard Anderson that tipped the media off?

Yuh think?

This whole story was news like 6 months ago and suddenly it was news again.

yowza

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:36 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 17):
This whole story was news like 6 months ago and suddenly it was news again.

This has been going on for YEARS. Head over to that popular pilot website starting with F and you will find no shortage of horror stories from camp Doha. A few sketchy stories here and there with EY, EK etc but QR is negatives across the board.

Quoting enilria (Reply 17):
what airline would force employees of their approved contractor to work without coats in below freezing conditions just so their uniforms are fully visible?

This really has nothing to do with DL or Richard Anderson. Yes, it's a shambles and a disgrace that contractors are getting the shaft BUT this will be resolved, the workers do have avenues to pursue changes and various governmental bodies and organizations are around to coax change along. Also not too many people dying on the ramp at JFK or LGA due to DL's practices. You think any of that is the case in Qatar? The government turns a blind eye to what amounts to slavery. The government created a "guideline" (under international pressure) that suggests outdoor workers must have access to drinking water when temperatures hit 50C but then cynically arranges it that the official temperature sits at 49C? Did you know Nepalese migrant workers are dying at the rate of 1 ever 2 days building Qatar various vanity projects? Do you honestly believe that because the West and DL is not perfect that it's OK to flatly ignore these atrocities?

YOWza

as739x

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:03 pm

I date a QR FA for a while and she said the policy was FA's could marry after 5 years with the company. However, I don't know if that included someone from within the company.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

SIA747Megatop

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:10 pm

While you're at it - don't step into any building in the Middle East or East Asia or use any infrastructure including roads - they don't treat construction workers well at all - and don't buy any electronics or clothes made in China, Vietnam, Indonesia or elsewhere in East Asia - I hear they don't get bonuses for 14 days leave.
"I do not yet know of a man who became a leader as a result of having undergone a leadership course." - Lee Kuan Yew

ytz

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:34 pm

I don't agree with the policy and I think he's understating realities. Though I do suspect as more of this comes to light, QR has probably resorted to quietly implementing some kind of internal policy change (put married/pregnant women on ground staff).

But honestly, i I can think of several restaurants right here at home where staff can be let go for "not meeting service standards", right here in North America. How many preggers or overweight waitresses at Hooter's? Outside of restaurants, go to a top law or accounting firm or a higher end car dealership. Tell me, if you'll find any with anything other than a young, attractive, hetero female, out front as a receptionist. In some cases, they'll even pick certain ethnicities to target certain demographics. The idea that North Americans don't care at all about the attractiveness of customer-facing employees is bunk. It's just that for a whole host of reasons (not in the least unions), this standard has long since passed for FAs in North America and Europe, while it hasn't for most of Asia, where flying is still somewhat mysterious and glamorous.

Not saying I agree with the mentality. But I do recognize that cultural differences are at play here.

Quoting ElanusNotatus (Reply 10):
Who could possibly object?

Absolutely. Western hypocrisy on this stuff boggles the mind. I have friends who blather on about climate change and whine about oil sands development. I always ask them, "Would you live in a smaller house?" and "Would you give up meat?" Those are arguably the two choices other than commuting that would reduce your carbon footprint. Of course, they all live in 2000 sqft houses in the burbs, only half take public transit and all eat meat. But they assure me that they are deeply concerned about saving the planet. And they are all mad at the oil companies.

I am equally skeptical about people who complain about abusive labour practices but won't do the most easiest of things to effect change: shop at a farmer's market and buy ethical clothing. They don't care about the child workers being abused, but they'll rush to save the labourers who chose to voluntarily leave home and work in the Middle East?

Quoting 3rdGen (Reply 14):
Westerners who have families to feed but can't find jobs in their home countries. That's who.

You mistake a.netters for compassionate people. Half these folks here would rather have other people starve or live worse lives than work for the ME3 with decent wages. Hurts their principles.

ytz

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:42 pm

Quoting Lufthansa (Reply 8):
Firmly sign me up too! I'm more than happy to fly Emirates and Etihad but Qatar is firmly on my know fly list! They don't get a single dollar. Ever!

Absolutely agree. Voting with dollars is much better than moral outrage. I wouldn't fly QR either. But then again, I try to buy ethical foods and shop at farmer's markets and take public transit. I'm a bit granola that way....

I would only fly EK again of the 3. They have a better Y offering. Other than that TK is my preferred. Not just for the service, but because I will take a stop in Istanbul any day over Doha, Abu Dhabi or Dubai (despite having grown up in the latter).

PW100

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:00 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 5):

Not to pick on you, but the line was pretty good to make my point.

Judging on the number of I-phones sold, NIKE shoes, etc. etc.etc., the number of people with "good moral" is obviously very limited.

While I don't necessarily disagree with this position, I can't ignore feeling a certain level of hypocrisy with these kind of statements. And FWIW, that probably also applies to myself . . .
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

ORDJOE

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:23 pm

Why does the airline care if one is married. I thought for such a religious and socially conservative part of the world that marriage would be considered a good thing and encouraged.

As for those who believe that if you do not like the conditions do not work there mantra. While I agree to a certain extent you are getting on a slippery slope with that mindset. America during the industrial revolution was sort of like that if you do not like the conditions then do not work here. We would still have child labor, grossly unsafe working conditions and other things reminiscent of the industrial revolution working conditions if stuck with the idea if you do not like what is offered then do not work here

incitatus

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:44 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 5):

Most people will not take any moral consideration when purchasing an airline ticket. For the vast majority price is the main factor. Service has to be a complete disaster to be a factor. Very few people will care about how employees are treated.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

hohd

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:45 pm

In Qatar unmarried couples are discouraged - to the extent sexual relations between unmarried couples is a firing offense and a foreigner can be deported. So why is the airline (QR) not receptive to marriage, in fact they should encourage it rather than discourage it.

I agree between the various airlines in ME, QR's practices (don't know much about Saudia) are the most questionable.

[Edited 2015-02-18 08:50:56]

cuban8

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:47 pm

Lol  ) Yes, Qatar Airways has some doubtful ways of treating their employees. Meanwhile, Norwegian International, Ryanair, Wizz Air and many other airlines in the western world has similar or worse practices (and that is for some reason much more accepted here on a.net).
I bet the Qatar Airways flight deck crew are crying for not having the same conditions as in Scandinavia.  
When business goes to hell, you get rid of three things. Your private jet, your yacht and your mistress..........and most importantly in that order.
~ Russian Billionaire ~

Buyantukhaa

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:47 pm

Quoting SIA747Megatop (Reply 20):
While you're at it - don't step into any building in the Middle East or East Asia or use any infrastructure including roads - they don't treat construction workers well at all - and don't buy any electronics or clothes made in China, Vietnam, Indonesia or elsewhere in East Asia - I hear they don't get bonuses for 14 days leave.

I think there are two things to distinguish: on the one hand a company treating people badly *only* in the work environment (dangerous conditions, bad pay, no job security etc) which is bad for sure and happens across the world, and on the other hand a company trying to control peoples' private lives. QR is an example of the latter, and to my knowledge the only such example in aviation.

Furthermore, while there can always be some preference for young single female staff when hiring, this is hard to prove in court, and does not necessarily lead to that individual being worse off - however when a company tries to control their private lives while already working there without there being any link to performance (why would married FAs be bad employees?!) then that really takes it to a new (low) level in my opinion.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

ozark1

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:54 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 16):
Is this really a big deal? So what if they don't want married people working for them, often with younger married females it leads to babies. I don't think working for a ME3 airline is a job for life and really shouldn't be treated as such.

Excuse me? Are you sure you don't live in the Australian Outback? It is a VERY big deal. Hundreds of thousands have made a career out of the job and I will just assume you are ignorant about that fact.

Flighty

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:58 pm

Quoting ORDJOE (Reply 24):
Why does the airline care if one is married.

As long as they do not act like it, there should be no problem.   

flyboy_se

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 11):
Better yet. Insist on sanctions. Ban the sale of Airbus aircraft to QR. Airbus directors and employees surely wouldn't mind as they will readily find other buyers with more ethical employment policies. Who could possibly object?

I am sure Airbus and the people working there would be happy to give away those billions so that the QR staff can get married without permision. I am sure that is their biggest concern.

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 9):

Because EK and EY are an oasis of human rights, and AUH and DXB were built by companies who treat the labourers oh so much better than in Qatar. Do not be fooled that the grass is greener over there. They too have a high turnover of crew.

People are free to not like the practices of these airlines and avoid them. But please if you are gonna be an angel, then stop being a hypocrate and start using this practice in your every day life as well. Pay this much attention to everything you buy. Buy clothes made locally, by local produce, use fair trade goods. Go on environmently friendly holidays. I would hope that this much energy would be put into freeing children from slavery, ending starvation, finding a cure of aids, cancer etc.
I am sure this is much more important then crying over QR staff who need permission to get married.

I do not really understand this. First of all, if they want to get married in Doha to another QR crew and live together i can understand. But otherwise, why does your work need to know you are getting married in the first place and to whom?? How is this relevant?

Most crew stay for few years. It is not a job or country you want to retire with/in. Unless you are from there, which none of the cabin crew are.
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

gatechae

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:31 pm

Quoting flyboy_se (Reply 31):
I do not really understand this. First of all, if they want to get married in Doha to another QR crew and live together i can understand. But otherwise, why does your work need to know you are getting married in the first place and to whom?? How is this relevant?

Well, I dont know if the QR workers get any benefits, but most companies with benefits will allow you to extend said benefits to your spouse (health insurance, life insurance, etc).

PlanesNTrains

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:23 pm

Quoting 3rdGen (Reply 12):
European and American Companies have been exploiting cheap labour throughout the world for centuries now. Why don't you go and tell your governments to stop shaking hands with these people rather than making big noise in order to try and sooth your own guilt. Your like the people who give $5 for charity to Somalia and then go and buy a pair of sneakers made in a sweatshop for $100. If you guys in the developed world really cared about issues you'de start by taking your own governments to task and realize that the real power that is allowing all this worldwide corruption is emanating from your own very backyards.

Hard to disagree with. Devil's Advocate might say "Well, at least they have a job by me choosing their product." As they say on Facebook, "It's Complicated".

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

cougar15

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:40 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 30):
As long as they do not act like it, there should be no problem

UPS has for years and will still fire you for relationships at work! whats new? Why the Beef with QR when global US cooperations have been practising this for years?
some you lose, others you can´t win!

AAIL86

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:01 pm

I agree with you in theory, but have to ask - In what country were your clothes, shoes, and electronics manufactured? Do you hold those suppliers to the same standard?
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamim Franklin

Kiwirob

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:38 pm

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 29):

Excuse me? Are you sure you don't live in the Australian Outback? It is a VERY big deal. Hundreds of thousands have made a career out of the job and I will just assume you are ignorant about that fact.

Pretty sure I've never lived in Australia. I said working for the ME3 as crew doesn't appear to be a long term proposition, if you look at most of the cabin crew they are mostly younger people, not jaded oldies like in the US and some European carriers. Besides if this is company policy they should be aware of it before they sign on, I don't see any problem with this at all, just the same as I don't have an issue with SIA keeping there cabin crew young and fresh, rather than old and jaded.

flflyguy

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:18 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 36):
as I don't have an issue with SIA keeping there cabin crew young and fresh, rather than old and jaded.

Pity there's no way to keep the passengers young and fresh, rather than old and entitled ...... Just sayin'..... What's good for the goose is good for the gander!
The views expressed are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer.

32andBelow

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:21 pm

Besides if this is company policy they should be aware of it before they sign on, I don't see any problem with this at all, just the same as I don't have an issue with SIA keeping there cabin crew young and fresh, rather than old and jaded.

In civilized countries you cannot create policies that are discriminatory, it's illegal.

ytz

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Quoting flflyguy (Reply 37):
Pity there's no way to keep the passengers young and fresh, rather than old and entitled ...... Just sayin'..... What's good for the goose is good for the gander!

The customer is paying. Simple as that. There's a reason restaurants try to get younger and prettier waitresses and lots of businesses (including in the West) have an attractive receptionist out front.

Pretty sure I've never lived in Australia. I said working for the ME3 as crew doesn't appear to be a long term proposition, if you look at most of the cabin crew they are mostly younger people, not jaded oldies like in the US and some European carriers. Besides if this is company policy they should be aware of it before they sign on, I don't see any problem with this at all, just the same as I don't have an issue with SIA keeping there cabin crew young and fresh, rather than old and jaded.

Not that I care that much about having a young, pretty FA. But this difference speaks to a cultural difference between the carriers. Being a flight attendant at a Western legacy has come to be seen as a career. Asian aviation is where the Western legacies were in the 60s, when flying was still sort of glamorous. So they can attract educated, youthful and attractive women (and a few men) to work as cabin crew. Heck, when Kingfisher was around in India, they hired some FAs through modelling agencies. Such a practice would never pass in the West (though I've heard of restaurants here doing the same). Very few of these young people would consider it as a long term career. It's considered a short, adventurous, decent paying gig for the young. The cultural expectation is that when you meet your future husband (mostly) or wife (sometimes), you move on to an "actual" job or become a stay at home parent. It's a very, "Leave it to Beaver" mentality. However, that is the culture over there.

Even the language used is different. In Asia, the FA is often called an "Air Hostess". That term has connotations of service well beyond what "Flight attendant" would stand for.

The problem for Western legacies is that they have to compete with that, using unionized cabin crew, who by and large don't have the same service ethos as Asian cabin crews. Western FAs are far more safety oriented. Over time, as Asian society matures and as those carriers grow, attitudes will change. But with cultures that are very service oriented, it's not likely to change all that much. Western legacies will have to figure out a solution that works within their labour contexts (maybe rostering younger crew to Asia?).

[Edited 2015-02-18 13:09:51]

Aesma

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:44 pm

Quoting ORDJOE (Reply 24):
Why does the airline care if one is married. I thought for such a religious and socially conservative part of the world that marriage would be considered a good thing and encouraged.

They might want only virgins as FAs ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

bennett123

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:31 pm

I recall my mother saying that when she first went to work that women commonly left work when they married.

Not sure if they applied in all occupations, but I suspect that FA would have been included.

RetiredWeasel

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:50 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 39):
Western legacies will have to figure out a solution that works within their labour contexts (maybe rostering younger crew to Asia?).

Your entire post might have been true 25 years ago, but is totally outdated today and 'rostering younger crew to Asia'? Get serious...lawsuits against age discrimination in the industry (here in the US) were settled 25 years ago too.

bennett123

Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:50 pm

A large part of the FA is Customer Service.

It seems that some ME and Asian score better than US carriers.

Arguing that we are some combination of Police and Fire Department is hardly a strong selling point.

ozark1

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:12 am

It's really interesting to read the comments from around the world. It seems that, basically, you believe in age discrimination, bigotry and unfounded and untrue thinking. I don't think, as you would like, that I am prepared to quit the job that I do very well and go live in a senior citizen leper colony. So you would have anyone older, assuming they are automatically jaded, to work in a non public service contact job? May I do yard work? Wash cars? Do filing? I always have to try and remember that people have different opinions. I'm just glad that I believe that if someone is kind, efficient and good at what they do, at least in a progressive society, they can rest easily about their employment.

777Jet

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:16 am

you don't have to work for Qatar Airways. Give them the finger if you don't like how they work.
Besides if this is company policy they should be aware of it before they sign on, I don't see any problem with this at all, just the same as I don't have an issue with SIA keeping there cabin crew young and fresh, rather than old and jaded.

And the FAs that work at airlines that are known to overwork and underpay employees should also be aware of this before they sign up / join and should therefore just put up with it instead of complain...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

bjorn14

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:53 am

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 41):

I recall my mother saying that when she first went to work that women commonly left work when they married.

That was probably back in the day when Income Tax was 5% and a family could be supported on one income.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

bennett123

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:02 pm

The point I am making is that this was common in the UK in the relatively recent past, (probably in Norway as well).

I am talking about the 1950's.

Kiwirob

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Quoting flflyguy (Reply 37):

really, you're going to pull that one, it just proves you have no argument.

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 38):
In civilized countries you cannot create policies that are discriminatory, it's illegal.

Sometime civilised countries should be a little less civilised. I also wouldn't call Singapore and uncivilised country.

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 43):
A large part of the FA is Customer Service.It seems that some ME and Asian score better than US carriers.

Customer service on US and many European airlines is abysmal, I think a lot of it is down to staff ages, too many old and self entitled aircrews.

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 45):
And the FAs that work at airlines that are known to overwork and underpay employees should also be aware of this before they sign up / join and should therefore just put up with it instead of complain...

If an airline is known to overwork and underpay it's staff, then anyone who decides to work for that airline is an idiot, they get no sympathy from me.

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 44):
It seems that, basically, you believe in age discrimination, bigotry and unfounded and untrue thinking.

In some jobs a little age discrimination isn't a bad thing, pilots for instance in many countries retire early, as do train drivers, police officers in Norway retire at 50/55.

For cabin attendants I think 45 is a good cut off, after that I age I find most of them are miserable people who don't provide decent service. I do realise I'm generalising, there are of couse young crap one and older good one, but in general I find the older ones are jaded and uninterested.

dtw2hyd

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 45):

Its not like someone working an extra shift at Walmart, it is a safety risk. One particular ME carrier is playing with FDTL rules.

Young crew on temporary contracts may not complain extra hours and local regulators may very well ignore complaints about fatigue, but it is not going to be pretty.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos