Kotzebue
Nome
Petersburg
Prudhoe Bay / Deadhorse
Sitka
Wrangell
Yakutat

HAWAII
If you combine Ohana and Hawaiian they would have it for number of destinations. Otherwise many would have the main five destinations.
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3

Beechtobus

RE: Strongest Airline Presence By US State

Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:44 am

By metrics of cities served, Great Lakes should actually take AZ (5 cities, PHX, PRC, SOW, IGM, and PGA), NE (6 cities; BFF, EAR, CDR, AIA, LBF, and MCK), and have a tie with DL in SD (3 cities; PIR, HON, and ATY). ZK is not linked up with any other airlines.

Update- Just read the portion that said EAS is not included

[Edited 2015-02-20 20:54:43]

mayor

Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:59 am

Quoting aklrno (Reply 36):
My real objection is the title. Simply say what it is, the ranking of most airports served by state. If you didn't notice the premise as explained in the text, you would presume an erroneous result. Strongest presence to me means most passengers, or at least most flights, or available seats. Especially for Nevada, counting two daily visits by a CRJ-200 more than a few dozen 737's is silly.

Which all means nothing more than the fact that, after reading the title, you failed to read the original post and saw what his criteria was.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Beardown91737

Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:57 am

The map has ND with stripes of DL and US colors. It should be DL and UA.

Quoting aklrno (Reply 29):
The title says "Strongest Airline Presence". Maybe it should say "Most Airports Served". It is a statistic, but a fairly meaningless one

Strongest Presence would count numbers as well as airports. Also G4 has less than daily service on a lot of routes.

Interesting case of Cincinnati, Kentucky. Does most of its pax come from the KY side or the OH side?
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

lugie
Topic Author

Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:23 am

Thank you for all your feedback, especially the very nice reception by FlyPIJets and others but also criticisms help for future projects.

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 45):
What I find most interesting is how US still dominates by number of destinations served from New York down to South Carolina. The legacy of Allegheny and Piedmont is still very evident in US Airways' network today.

Surprised me too, especially NY and Va. If I remember correctly, in NC, SC, VA and NY they actually serve every single active airport .

Quoting Beardown91737 (Reply 54):
Interesting case of Cincinnati, Kentucky. Does most of its pax come from the KY side or the OH side?

Most certainly the majority of CVG traffic originates in Cincinnati which obviously is Ohio, but CVG, as the code (derived from Covington) tells, is located in Kentucky
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

LAX772LR

Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:08 am

Quoting lugie (Thread starter):
by the NUMBER OF AIRPORTS an airline currently flies into

Odd criteria to use, and seems to present many flawed outcomes. You should probably use the a more realistic standard like ASMs, to allay some of the more ridiculous conclusions.

For example, Louisiana:
AA/UA send RJs and props to some of the smaller airports, from their Texas hubs...

...but DL is nearly twice those airlines' size at MSY, an airport that accounts for nearly 80% of the seats flown into/out of that entire state, while still serving all but one or two of the smaller regionals that AA/UA do.

...and WN is nearly twice DL's size at MSY, and probably hauls more people in/out of the state than all of the others combined, despite only serving one gateway.

So to say that AA/UA dominate the state of Louisiana, is about as falsely skewed of an assessment as one can get, regardless of how many airports they serve.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

lugie
Topic Author

Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:58 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 49):

Well I said I did not include EAS flights that aren't operated on behalf of a larger carrier and not all, but many 9K destinations in those states are such EAS flights so I did not count them which leads for example to the result that B6 wins Massachusetts. If you have closer information on 9K operating their flights in the northeast as a subsidiary of non - EAS carriers, I will accept your objection.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

Byrdluvs747

Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:34 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 56):
Odd criteria to use, and seems to present many flawed outcomes. You should probably use the a more realistic standard like ASMs, to allay some of the more ridiculous conclusions.

From a passenger perspective, its not an odd criteria at all. Everyone here is screaming "ASM", but how many passengers look at ASMs when booking a flight? Virtually none. They look at who provides service to where they're going/departing.

ASMs are for airline bean counters, analysts, and a.net geeks. Outside of that, its an irrelevant metric not used by the traveling public.

...but DL is nearly twice those airlines' size at MSY, an airport that accounts for nearly 80% of the seats flown into/out of that entire state, while still serving all but one or two of the smaller regionals that AA/UA do.

...and WN is nearly twice DL's size at MSY, and probably hauls more people in/out of the state than all of the others combined, despite only serving one gateway.

The concept of network breadth seems to be lost on many here. Who cares how big DL or WN are in MSY if a passenger happens to live in LCH. If a LCH passenger needs to go west, DL and WN are non-existent.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

lugie
Topic Author

Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:01 pm

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 58):

The concept of network breadth seems to be lost on many here. Who cares how big DL or WN are in MSY if a passenger happens to live in LCH. If a LCH passenger needs to go west, DL and WN are non-existent.

Thank you. That was exactly what I meant by "visual presence" in my OP outline. Maybe you managed to express it better as a native speaker.

Also for everyone, here is the corrected map, with ND now in DL/UA colors and TN without AA, only DL and US as I forgot to count TRI.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag71/lgieser95/carrierdestinationsperstate_zpsde54a86d.png

[Edited 2015-02-21 06:10:56]

nkops

Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:09 pm

I would decide "strongest presence" by the NUMBER OF AIRPORTS an airline currently flies into in a state (lower 48)

I appreciate your research, however I respectfully disagree with NJ.... according to your own rules shown above, the airline has to CURRENTLY be flying.... AC is not flying in ACY yet, so you should have a color for all airlines which is what NJ should have.... otherwise, good job
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

Byrdluvs747

Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:14 pm

At this point in the merger I find it a little misleading to keep AA and US as separate carriers. If this were a year ago, I could understand. However, with the two operating in many ways as one carrier, and a single SOC completion by the end of summer, I see no reason to count the two carriers separately anymore.

OHIO > * TIED in numbers between DL Delta Air Lines/Delta Connection and UA United Airlines/United Airlines Express and WN Southwest Airlines and US US Airways/US Airways Express and AA American Airlines/American Eagle *

ALL serving:
DAY Dayton
CMH Port Columbus
CLE Cleveland

WN, UA, US, DL serving:
CAK Akron-Canton

AA destination:
TOL Toledo

OHIO > * AA/US American Airlines/US Airways *

CAK Akron-Canton
CMH Port Columbus
CLE Cleveland
DAY Dayton
TOL Toledo

[Edited 2015-02-21 06:17:30]

YYZAMS

Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:48 pm

Quoting ytib (Reply 51):

Glad you mentioned Hawaii and AK! I was looking for them!
I would think Mokulele Airlines has a big presence in Hawaii.

peanuts

Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:25 pm

Some of you can bash the OP all you want. But he specifically laid out his research criteria. So what's the beef?
It's interesting. Thanks for your three hours.

exFWAOONW

Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Very interesting results.

As a follow-up study, maybe you could do non-stop destinations served FROM each state. That should result in slightly different colors on your map. (hubs would have a clear advantage) It would also reflect something the flying public looks at, rather than ASMs.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

miaskies

Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:36 pm

FLORIDA > * DL Delta Air Lines/Delta Connection * [very closely followed by US with just 1 destination short]

PBI Palm Beach
VPS Valparaiso
TPA Tampa
TLH Tallahassee
SRQ Sarasota
PNS Pensacola
ECP Northwest Florida
MCO Orlando McCoy
MIA Miami
MLB Melbourne
EYW Key West
JAX Jacksonville
GNV Gainesville
RSW Fort Myers
FLL Fort Lauderdale
DAB Daytona Beach

Hmm - not sure I am quite in alignment with calling DL the leading airline in the state of Florida. I think the state of Florida is a special case due its size, demographics, and airlines that serve specific regions of the state.

Florida is a tough call. You could either split it by state - North/NW Florida, Central Florida/SW Florida, South Florida or by major metropolitan area.

Here are my 2 cents;

** North/NW Florida (JAX, TLH, PNS, ECP, GNV, and surrounding areas):

1st place - DL > clearly the winner a plethora of flights to its ATL hub.
2nd place - AA > with a presence in all of the major North Florida markets servicing most of its major east coast hubs.
3rd place - WN > more than likelyI think their presence is a bit stronger than B6 in these parts

** Central Florida/SW Florida (TPA,MCO,RSW and surrounding areas):

1st place - B6 >has taken over what many tried in the past, setting up a successful operation out of MCO and having a healthy presence at its neighbor TPA.
2nd place - AA/DL >
DL would have taken the 1st place spot years back and perhaps the 2nd place spot not too far back but with the AA/US marriage the market share is an even split between these 2 mega carriers IMO. DL has many of the smaller central Florida markets while AA has a plethora of flights between its MIA fortress and MCO/TPA; while also serving smaller SW Florida markets from its other hubs.
3rd place - WN > Once again comes in serving the leisure market strongly; NK follows not too far behind.

** South Florida (MIA, FLL, PBI, EYW)
This is where it gets interesting...

1st place - AA/B6 >
In terms of seats and destinations AA is clearly the winner with its huge Latin American hub out of MIA that is increasingly becoming also a domestic and European player as AA connects the dots. But B6 is a stronger contender for first place as well as it continues to grow its FLL operation and "shadow" if you will AA's Latin American operation while still being the "go to" airline for many Northeastern markets.

2nd place - DL/WN >
Another tie, WN has increased the pressure in the South Florida market and IMO quickly stealing what would have been a 2nd place spot for NK. WN is in line to open a hub in FLL as of 2016 and begin operations to Latin America and the Caribbean, interesting times to come. DL while not as strong in South Florida as it maybe once was, it still has a VERY strong and healthy relationship with the South Florida market. DL continues of course to be the leader when it comes to connecting South Florida to ATL but it also connects South Florida to many major markets nonstop (LAX, BOS for example). Interestingly enough, DL is the 2nd leading domestic carrier in MIA, and healthy growth continues - what's next?

3rd place - NK >
NK has had a long standing relationship with South Florida. While it was once IMO the leader in the FLL market it has since been met with extensive competition but it still a strong player albeit not my favorite.
Crosscheck Complete :)

calpsafltskeds

Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:45 pm

This is only one way of looking at strength by state. A better method would be to look at departures or better yet departures times seats from each deprature at that state.
You would get vastly different numbers.
New Jersey would be UA vs. AC.
Utah would obviously be DL, not UA.Etc., etc.

Byrdluvs747

Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:18 pm

Quoting miaskies (Reply 65):
Here are my 2 cents;

Did you actually read the OP's post? This has nothing to do with regions, traffic flows, or carrier sizes. The sole criteria is number of airports served per state per airline. Thats it. Period.

LAX772LR

Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:19 pm

Everyone here is screaming "ASM", but how many passengers look at ASMs when booking a flight? Virtually none. They look at who provides service to where they're going/departing.

ASMs are for airline bean counters, analysts, and a.net geeks. Outside of that, its an irrelevant metric not used by the traveling public.

COMPLETELY disagree with both of your points, and here's why:

Passengers most certainly DO take ASMs into consideration, just not in the way you're envisioning:
Your "bean counters, analysts, and a.net geeks" comment indicates that you only think of ASMs as a DOT statistic, which of course no one is going to bother with.

But that's not it. After the all-important criterion of Price, the ensuing two things most pax look for are Nonstops and Brand.
If I'm in BTR, AEX, or LFT and I want to go to NYC on DL or UA... my historical choices are to get up at the butt-crack of dawn or leave at the end of dusk, take an RJ or prop to ATL/IAH, wait there for God knows how long, and then finally get into NYC.

Or, I can search out of MSY, find that DL/UA have nonstops to NYC leaving all throughout the day, on bigger aircraft, offering F class (if that's my desire), with the collective choice of JFK, EWR, and LGA all served nonstop; and get there in that manner, or have the options of connecting in ATL/DTW/IAH/IAD/ORD, all of whom collectively have departures leaving on the hour every hour.
Congratulations pax-- you've just unwittingly undertaken an ASM comparison.

And that's why MSY handles more pax from Baton Rouge and Lafayette than either of those home airports do.

And let's not even talk about how far people will drive to fly WN: pax drive from as far as LCH, AEX, BTR, GPT, and MOB to MSY for that very reason, it's a straight shot down I-10, so why would they not?

So that's why attempting to make the case that Airline-X is somehow "stronger" in a state because they fly an RJ to a far-flung destination or two.... when many (if not most) pax in said destinations would rather drive somewhere else to fly someone else.... comes off as an erratic, arguably-illogical, and completely anecdotal conclusion.

Who cares how big DL or WN are in MSY if a passenger happens to live in LCH.

Hmm, all the people who drive from there, to MSY, any given month, perhaps? ....as mentioned above.

[Edited 2015-02-21 12:30:16]

bjorn14

Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:33 pm

Quoting nkops (Reply 34):
RI- wouldnt 9K take it with PVD and BID?
Quoting ScottB (Reply 49):
Quoting nkops (Reply 34):
RI- wouldnt 9K take it with PVD and BID?

The would be tied with New England Airlines who serve BID and WST.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

miaskies

Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:37 pm

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 67):
Did you actually read the OP's post? This has nothing to do with regions, traffic flows, or carrier sizes. The sole criteria is number of airports served per state per airline. Thats it. Period.

1. I can read - 3 languages
2. His subject thread title is a bit misleading which lead to the discussion, exploration/suggestion of breaking down the state specifics by airline as I did.
3. Simmer down
4. That's it. Period.
Crosscheck Complete :)

airliner371

Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:38 pm

** Central Florida/SW Florida (TPA,MCO,RSW and surrounding areas):

1st place - B6 >has taken over what many tried in the past, setting up a successful operation out of MCO and having a healthy presence at its neighbor TPA.
2nd place - AA/DL >
DL would have taken the 1st place spot years back and perhaps the 2nd place spot not too far back but with the AA/US marriage the market share is an even split between these 2 mega carriers IMO. DL has many of the smaller central Florida markets while AA has a plethora of flights between its MIA fortress and MCO/TPA; while also serving smaller SW Florida markets from its other hubs.
3rd place - WN > Once again comes in serving the leisure market strongly; NK follows not too far behind.

Not at all. WN is easily #1 considering it is the largest airline at MCO and TPA by wide margins. B6 #2 and DL #3.

** South Florida (MIA, FLL, PBI, EYW)
This is where it gets interesting...

1st place - AA/B6 >
In terms of seats and destinations AA is clearly the winner with its huge Latin American hub out of MIA that is increasingly becoming also a domestic and European player as AA connects the dots. But B6 is a stronger contender for first place as well as it continues to grow its FLL operation and "shadow" if you will AA's Latin American operation while still being the "go to" airline for many Northeastern markets.

2nd place - DL/WN >
Another tie, WN has increased the pressure in the South Florida market and IMO quickly stealing what would have been a 2nd place spot for NK. WN is in line to open a hub in FLL as of 2016 and begin operations to Latin America and the Caribbean, interesting times to come. DL while not as strong in South Florida as it maybe once was, it still has a VERY strong and healthy relationship with the South Florida market. DL continues of course to be the leader when it comes to connecting South Florida to ATL but it also connects South Florida to many major markets nonstop (LAX, BOS for example). Interestingly enough, DL is the 2nd leading domestic carrier in MIA, and healthy growth continues - what's next?

3rd place - NK >
NK has had a long standing relationship with South Florida. While it was once IMO the leader in the FLL market it has since been met with extensive competition but it still a strong player albeit not my favorite.
AA is easily #1 here. B6 while important, is not even close to AA at MIA. That said B6 is #2, WN #3, NK #4 and DL #5.

And miaskies took analysis to another level. I admire that he did as the OP used numbers that are almost entirely irrelevant (number of cities served per state). There is nothing wrong with miaskies adding further analysis.

[Edited 2015-02-21 12:40:28]

mayor

Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Quoting miaskies (Reply 70):

1. I can read - 3 languages

You weren't asked if you COULD read.......you were asked if you DID read the post.

Quoting miaskies (Reply 70):
His subject thread title is a bit misleading which lead to the discussion, exploration/suggestion of breaking down the state specifics by airline as I did.

Not misleading at all......the original post meets the title of the post, just fine.

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 71):
And miaskies took analysis to another level. I admire that he did as the OP used numbers that are almost entirely irrelevant (number of cities served per state). There is nothing wrong with miaskies adding further analysis.

No, first he criticized the OP on his work. If misakies has a better idea, maybe he should invest three hours of his own and come up with his own analysis.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

airliner371

Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:58 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 72):
No, first he criticized the OP on his work. If misakies has a better idea, maybe he should invest three hours of his own and come up with his own analysis.

No what? You say no and then don't even respond to what I said. Why you are going off on him while quoting me is beyond me.

mayor

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:03 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 73):
No what? You say no and then don't even respond to what I said. Why you are going off on him while quoting me is beyond me.

You said he took analysis to another level. True, but first he criticized the OP on what he had done. You got caught in the crossfire because you defended him. No need to criticize, especially if he hadn't bothered to read the original post.

Kaiarahi

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:04 pm

Sometimes, I don't believe this site. The original poster does a lot of research, clearly posts his premise in the first post, posts in a language other than his own, and is unfailingly polite ... and half the people on here shit on him. No wonder the aviation professionals are abandoning a.net.

Lugie - the data is interesting. Thank you for taking the time to research and post it.
Empty vessels make the most noise.

ScottB

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:14 pm

Quoting lugie (Reply 57):
Well I said I did not include EAS flights that aren't operated on behalf of a larger carrier and not all, but many 9K destinations in those states are such EAS flights so I did not count them which leads for example to the result that B6 wins Massachusetts. If you have closer information on 9K operating their flights in the northeast as a subsidiary of non - EAS carriers, I will accept your objection.

There are no airports in either Massachusetts or Rhode Island covered by the EAS program.

jetwet1

Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:32 pm

That would be an understatement.

Nevada is in no way shape or form DL country, it's WN all the way.

The Same with Illinois, to think that G4's opertions for a month even equal AA or UA's for a day at just ORD is not good.

As others have said, a very flawed piece, maybe the OP should go work for a new channel :-P

Sorry, not trying to be rude.

YYZAMS

Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:34 am

Quoting mise in the first post, posts in a language other than his own, and is unfailingly polite ... and half the people on here shit on him. No wonder the aviation professionals are abandoning a.net.

Lugie - the data is interesting. Thank you for taking the time to research and post it.
" class="quote" target="_blank">Kaiarahi (Reply 75):

+++++1

well said!

[Edited 2015-02-21 16:35:38]

Nola

Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:58 am

I agree with LAX772R:

DL and WN are by far dominant in Louisiana in terms of Passengers. If one were looking at passengers and destinations, the only area that DL doesn't serve is Lake Charles, which is well served by Lafayette to the east and Houston Hobby and Intergalactic to the West.

747400sp

Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:03 am

WN and AS, have a very strong presence in California.

LAX772LR

Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:46 am

Quoting Kaiarahi (Reply 75):
and half the people on here shit on him.

Hmm, so you apparently missed when the OP said:
if there are any criticisms
.....which, there apparently have been.

feel free to correct me.
......which, plenty of posters have.

mayor

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:17 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 77):

That would be an understatement.

Nevada is in no way shape or form DL country, it's WN all the way.

The Same with Illinois, to think that G4's opertions for a month even equal AA or UA's for a day at just ORD is not good.

As others have said, a very flawed piece, maybe the OP should go work for a new channel :-P

Sorry, not trying to be rude.

And failing. Did you read the first post because if you did, you obviously didn't comprehend what was said. All he said was that he compiled data which showed which carrier operates to the most airports IN A STATE and whichever carrier that was would WIN. Simple as that. Nothing about which carrier was the most popular........nothing about ASMs.....just a simple, winner take all, based on a simple premise.

Have you folks been to the Tim Clark or Michael O'Leary school of charm?

lugie
Topic Author

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:02 am

there have been statistics on ASMs and seats offered statewise before on this page, I was surprised that nobody had made a statistics like this before. I do understand if some of you consider it "odd" but I would definitely not say that it is flawed, yes it does sometimes give deceiving impressions and kind of disadvantages mainline only carriers like B6, WN etc but that doesn't make it flawed. Is just a completely different way to look at it and though it might not contain any significant value for FAA or airlines it could still be interesting

mtnwest1979

Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:37 pm

How about doing one this way: Doing it by time zones. That'd be fun.
I can see it now, "but Arizona should be in with PT in summer" etc etc.  
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

DDR

Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:01 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 53):

Agreed!!!

I think this is a great thread and the OP did a lot of research.

OP, thanks for the thread and pay no attention to the rude, negative people on here.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos