Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

b747400erf

RE: DFW Ice Storm Update?

Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:43 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 18):

You can't sit on plane for a few hours in bad weather because you will start tweeting about how horribly you are being treated by the big, bad airline. Worst experience of your life, I'm sure.

I cannot believe a.net let you get away with downplaying trapping customers in an airplane for hours sometimes having no air conditioning. Is the hero worship of airline brands and execs so much to trump the most basic common sense from the traveling a.net users?

It's always the entitled people complaining about others acting entitled. I feel bad for those forced to fly your (American Eagle guaranteed) airplane.

[Edited 2015-02-23 16:45:10]

jfklganyc

Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:54 am

Im surpsrised at the ignorance of airport ops on here

AA has hundreds of flights at DFW

Assuming Alaska has 5 or 10...it is much easier to take a wait and see attitude. Heck, launch the flight and divert to IAH!

Its only 150 people...hopefully it works. But if it t doesnt it is two busses from IAH or 80 hotel rooms (assuming couples or families)

AA cant take a wait and see approach. Their flights during the same period involve 30000 people

If things go bad at DFW it will get ugly quick

drerx7

Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:40 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 51):
two busses from IAH

3-4 hr drive.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

iahcsr

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:02 am

Houston Rodeo is happening now... So don't bet on many hotel rooms available ATM
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

TW870

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:03 am

Oh absolutely. Airport ops, crew scheduling, etc., is lost in this conversation. I was a United FA in the 1990s when we would try to operate through these kind of events. We would, for example, send east-bound LAX, SFO, DEN, SEA based flight attendants into O'Hare in marginal weather with conditions worsening. Everyone would miss their evening East Coast departures. The RON crews would all be in place on layovers out East, but would have no aircraft to work in the morning as all the RON aircraft were stuck at ORD. But because everyone was on duty at ORD until 2am the night before, we would have no legal crew in the morning. Thus the system would grid-lock. On bad months, we would be out of crew time system wide by the 27th, 28th of the month.

Of course AS can operate into DFW in marginal weather, because there is very little impact on their system if they get a couple of airplanes or crews stuck. It is the hub operator who has to make the decision about pre-emptive cancellation, as they are the ones who have to look at all the block hours on their whole system for the given month.

MSJYOP28Apilot

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:05 am

One of the big issues today was with light to moderate sleet and cold temperatures. With sleet, you only have about 10-25 minutes depending on the temperature to takeoff before you need to get de-iced and anti-iced again. When you have a bunch of planes in line to takeoff and land along with runway treatment going on this will increase takeoff time waits which means you can find yourself in a gridlock situation with planes needing to be de-iced and anti-iced multiple times. When you have fewer flights, the volume is lighter and you have less planes competing for takeoff. That is why other airlines had it so easy today with the sleet compared to AA. AA cancellations actually in a way benefitted the competition in that sense while protecting AA from having stranded crews, planes and long taxi delays.

kstateinALB

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:59 am

WFAA-TV just tweeted that AA296 slipped off a taxiway after landing at DFW from SAT.

Looks like it happened a little after 8pm.

ipodguy7
Topic Author

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:05 am

Quoting kstateinALB (Reply 56):

WFAA-TV just tweeted that AA296 slipped off a taxiway after landing at DFW from SAT.

NBC5 Facebook showing it as an MD80. They have shared a picture that appears to show pax evacuating/leaving the aircraft via the unique rear center (don't know the technical term) airstairs...
NBCDFW Facebook Page
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AS/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ/JL

thomasphoto60

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:09 am

Quoting ipodguy7 (Reply 57):
NBC5 Facebook showing it as an MD80.

Guess that's why MD80s are dubbed "Skid Buggies" by some crews.
"Show me the Braniffs"

Miami

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:13 am

You have N800AN (787) on it's way.

Hearing the weather isn't looking so good.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Sooner787

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:47 am

Quoting Miami (Reply 59):
Hearing the weather isn't looking so good.

There's no precip here at DFW right now.....but, the roads have glazed over.

perhaps then N800AN lands, they can tow her in a warm hangar and the crews

can crash out in the lie flat business class seats.... better option than trying

to drive home.

CO777DAL

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:57 am

Here is the photo
https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/10974551_10152833752962690_4039026882862493522_o.jpg
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

texdravid

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:01 pm

Glad no one was hurt, but this picture does encapsulate the awful time that AA is
Having this week....better luck next storm.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

iahcsr

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:53 pm

FYI those are called ventral stairs on MD80
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

Whiteguy

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:33 pm

Quoting texdravid (Reply 62):

Glad no one was hurt, but this picture does encapsulate the awful time that AA is

Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

So first you criticize AA for canceling flights due to weather conditions, now you criticize for having an incident in those same weather conditions. To funny.......

ipodguy7
Topic Author

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:01 pm

Weather forecast now showing 1-4 inches of snow to fall between 6am and noon on Wednesday, with temps increasing above freezing later that day. Should be interesting to see what plays out.

nkops

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:02 pm

As an airport ops person here, I can tell you almost nothing is worse than freezing rain.. I will take snow over FZRA any day. Luckily, my airport doesn't have a gazillion flights and we have plenty of time between flights to do potassium or whatever is needed.. I can only imagine how difficult it is in someplace like DFW especially when they probably dont have tons of equipment like the NY airports, etc.

As for pre cancelling flights.. on this forum it seems to be a damned if you do , damned if you dont scenario. I personally would prefer a cancel well in advance before I brave the slippery roads to the airport, then have to turn around and go back, but thats just my opinion
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

glbltrvlr

Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:31 pm

Quoting ipodguy7 (Reply 65):
Weather forecast now showing 1-4 inches of snow to fall between 6am and noon on Wednesday, with temps increasing above freezing later that day. Should be interesting to see what plays out.

I don't know what happened this morning, but I just arrived at DFW from FRA and aside from a larger than normal number of cancelled flights on the monitors, everything is fine. Bright sun, no sign of precip.

Sooner787

Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:35 pm

Quoting glbltrvlr (Reply 67):
I don't know what happened this morning, but I just arrived at DFW from FRA and aside from a larger than normal number of cancelled flights on the monitors, everything is fine. Bright sun, no sign of precip.

I drove thru DFW to work this morning in snow flurries and rain.

I left for lunch and the sun was out.

Welcome to Texas   

ipodguy7
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:46 pm

Quoting texdravid (Reply 62):

At least AA keeps up with inspections on its own planes and doesnt have to ground 128 planes (WN). Your anger at being bumped from a flight is turning into an irrational hatred for AA. Try to disavow yourself of your bias.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos