MayaviaERJ190
Topic Author

Initiative To Open Way For 2way MEX-USA Pre-Clear

Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:09 pm

Mexican President Peña has sent the Mexican Senate an initiative that will change law so that foreign immigration, customs and head-of-state-guard agents can act in Mexican soil while armed.

The explanation for the initiative includes measures leading to foreign immigration and customs agents to operate, while armed, in designated areas in 50 Mexican international airports, as well as in all 47 MEX-USA land border-crossings.

From my point of view, the establishing of US pre-clearance in Mexico can become a very important measure and tool for all Mexican airlines to be able to compete vs CM and others on South America-US traffic through MEX, the new MEX and CUN.

This two-way pre-clearance project will absolutely help boost the south-bound traffic as pax should be able, in the future, to experience an almost seamless connection through Mexico, as all paperwork will be able to be done at the departure point.

I am liking it, very much, that the Mexican Government is accompanying the building of the new MEX with a broad-view-planning that will help guarantee its future success.

All of this becomes very important for TIJ too, as the Western Hemisphere's first bi-national cross-border airport terminal, at a price tag of US $78m, is scheduled to open in November and, for sure, the TSA is interested to be able to operate within all of both, the US-side and MX-side terminals.

Here's the report on the initiative from Univision (in Spanish): http://noticias.univision.com/articl...eros-puedan-portar-armas-en-mexico

Here's the report and update on the cross-border terminal in TIJ from San Diego's ABC's 10 News (in English): http://www.10news.com/news/cross-bor...ort-terminal-taking-shape-01272015
My other plane is an A380.

enilria

RE: Initiative To Open Way For 2way MEX-USA Pre-Clear

Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:29 pm

2way means that Mexico might put reverse pre-clearance in ONT, for example?

MayaviaERJ190
Topic Author

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:13 pm

Exactly. That is what the initiative says in the explanation part, maybe revealing that negotiations are well on their way with the US. US gets its agents operating in Mexico as well as Mexico can get its agents operating in the US.

This is a very important measure as Mexico and the USA exchanged over 23 million pax by air in 2014, but not only the pre-clearance matters for airports, it also matters a lot for the 47 land border-crossings as more than 300 aeronautical industry manufacturers, among many other industries, have plants in Mexico and most of them ship the aircraft parts over land to the USA and Canada.

International Air Traffic to the US: http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...traffic-to-US-up-7-percent-in-2014

Mexican Aerospace Industry Summit http://www.mexicoaerospacesummit.com/

[Edited 2015-02-26 07:26:50]

[Edited 2015-02-26 07:29:40]
My other plane is an A380.

Delta763

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:58 pm

It would be interesting to see which US airports are chosen for Mexican preclearance and how they make it work.

My only experience with this was flying back from Dublin, where a rather large section of the terminal is dedicated for US immigration and customs and separate waiting area next to the gates, complete with concessions.

Do any US airports get enough traffic to Mexico to justify dedicating terminal space to something like this?

FlyingSicilian

Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:08 pm

Quoting Delta763 (Reply 3):
It would be interesting to see which US airports are chosen for Mexican preclearance and how they make it work.

Well the usual suspects come to mind, Houston, Los Angeles, D/Ft Worth....
It will be interesting if they actually put them in US airports vs just land crossings.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

fernanlnin

Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:04 pm

Quoting Delta763 (Reply 3):
My only experience with this was flying back from Dublin, where a rather large section of the terminal is dedicated for US immigration and customs and separate waiting area next to the gates, complete with concessions.

Do any US airports get enough traffic to Mexico to justify dedicating terminal space to something like this?

Good question. Well I guess for some smaller US airports the situation is similar to that of many (most actually) international airports in Mexico: The only reason why they are international is because they have flights to the U.S.A.

That used to be the case for my hometown airport (GDL) before CM started flying to PTY.

32andBelow

Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:26 pm

Quoting MayaviaERJ190 (Thread starter):
as well as in all 47 MEX-USA land border-crossings.

The last time I walked into Mexico it was literally just a walkway and you did not have to talk to anyone.

Delta763

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:01 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 6):
The last time I walked into Mexico it was literally just a walkway and you did not have to talk to anyone.

When was this? I don't get the impression things are that lax at the border these days.

rojo

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:15 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 6):
The last time I walked into Mexico it was literally just a walkway and you did not have to talk to anyone

It has been like that for years because the real border (where you will need to show your passport or Mexican ID) is 40 miles from the actual border. Same happens in the United States, a Mexican Citizen can cross the border with a BCC (Border Crossing Card) without getting an I94 and stay in border towns. If a Mexican Citizen intends to go farther than 40 miles, he/she needs to get an I94 at the border. The Texas border patrol is stationed 40 miles from the real border (bridge). In San Diego, there is a border patrol station on I5.

Therefore, if you intend to drive 40 miles south of the border, you will get a full inspection from Mexican Customs and Immigration.

yellowtail

Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:05 pm

Don't think the intent is to do all airports and land crossing on both sides....but if you writing a law might as well think way off in to the future. You also don't have to do both sides, though by writing the law that way it makes it more palatable to politicians facing their voters.

A good example of how it will probably work is like Canada.

The obvious choices for US pre clearance are CUN, MEX, and MTY. CUN especially.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

adamh8297

Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:10 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 9):
The obvious choices for US pre clearance are CUN, MEX, and MTY. CUN especially

Add PVR and SJD as well.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

EddieDude

Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:36 pm

This would be great for people who constantly fly to the U.S. from Mexico. I hope it goes ahead.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

Marcus

Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:27 pm

MEX-US relations are not the best right now, plus armed foreign law enforecement agents in Mexican soil is a toxic idea for a big percentage of the population; with this being an electoral year I highly doubt we will see this anytime soon, on the other hand the current government has shown multiple times to not give a damn about public opinion so I could be wrong.
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

FlyingSicilian

Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:43 pm

Quoting Marcus (Reply 12):
MEX-US relations are not the best right now

Based on what exactly?
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

Delta763

Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:14 pm

MEX-US relations are not the best right now, plus armed foreign law enforecement agents in Mexican soil is a toxic idea for a big percentage of the population; with this being an electoral year I highly doubt we will see this anytime soon, on the other hand the current government has shown multiple times to not give a damn about public opinion so I could be wrong.

Considering the amount of cross-border traffic between the two countries, I can't imagine any initiative that makes it easier would be met with anything other than appreciation from the many who'd benefit, who likely outnumber xenophobes on both sides.

ROSWELL41

Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:18 pm

I'm not sure how the U.S. government feels about reciprocity in allowing Mexican agents to be armed on US soil. The U.S. government tends to be pretty one sided in demanding our law enforcement be allowed to be armed on foreign soil while not allowing foreign agents to be armed in the USA. That could be a major sticking point. Although, US CBP typically aren't armed at foreign preclearance facilities. Usually they are supported by armed LEO's of the host country.

ytz

Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:25 pm

Quoting ROSWELL41 (Reply 15):
The U.S. government tends to be pretty one sided in demanding our law enforcement be allowed to be armed on foreign soil

US CBP at Canadian airports are not armed. They rely on local police for protection.

FlyingSicilian

Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:56 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 16):
US CBP at Canadian airports are not armed. They rely on local police for protection.

And IIRC per the treaty CBSA could set up stateside but choose not to.

ODwyerPW

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:31 pm

When you are walking across, it's pretty lax. That goes for both sides.
Last few times no one inspected any of the luggage I was dragging.
Brought back a cat from Mexico last month (nice story, but not avaiation related.. lol) and the US didn't look in the cat carrier, nor ask for paperwork (the cat had received a full battery of immunizations 3 days prior entry as required by US law, but no asked for the proof).

Driving across.. different story... I've gotten a random time out in detention for secondary auto inspections a time or two. (I guess an Irish American who splits time between the two countries and crosses often occasionaly raises flags.)

In Mexican airports you are subjected to the same level of inspections you are in the US... (well, I've only flown out of Monterry, Tijuana, Guaymas and Hermosillo). Then on the US side, you are inspected again upon entry...
learning never stops.

AR385

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:57 pm

MEX-US relations are not the best right now, plus armed foreign law enforecement agents in Mexican soil is a toxic idea for a big percentage of the population

That is true, but you have to be rather naive (not you, figure of speech) to think that since a few years ago there are no LEO US personnel operating in Mexico without their weapons. They are less visible now than with Calderón, but they are here. With the acquiecense of both governments.

I see the "sovereignity" issue being more delicate when it is negotiated who will pay for the CBP facilities in Mexico. I can see the headlines now: "Mexican Government is paying for the US CBP facilities in Mexico..." People are going to be pissed over that one...

Now, the idea is a good one. And with Peña Nieto´s government they will have no trouble passing it. The problem is going to be with the US more radical republicans. Although they tend to forget their anti-immigration stance when own of their own is in the White House, and are usually more friendly towards Latin America.

But as the OP mentioned, it would give Mexico and unprecedented competitive advantage in terms of connectivity with the rest of Latin America.

Anyway, I don´t see this happening in the next 2-3 years. Good idea though. I´m tending to think this is going to start to happen at the more local level, like what is happening in Tijuana and San Diego. The airport tends to be the more visible of the initiatives over there, but both cities are cooperating at an unprecedented level and consider themselves one singel economic region.

The Rio Grande Valley, is another example, although less developed, but more and more, that area seems like its own third country. Independent from the US and Mexico.

[Edited 2015-02-27 14:00:09]

2travel2know2

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:03 am

When discussing Canadian pre-clearance at U.S. airports on these forums before, the subject of U.S. airlines having to move its aircraft from its gates to the Canada-bound gates so to make use of the Canada immigration facilities.
While it seems very logical for major Mexican airports with large U.S. bound traffic (MEX, CUN, PVR, SJD, MTY and GDL) to host U.S. pre-clearance, even U.S. airports with a huge number of Mexico bound flights (IAH, LAX) the logistics of moving aircraft around to the Mexican gates could be a hassle airlines won't want to have.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:25 am

Personally i would think CUN makes the most sense to get pre-clearance. Almost all tourists and US passport holders ,very little connection traffic or CUN based origin traffic. You could make a whole terminal US pre clearance an seal it pretty nicely and securely.

As someone who has flown into MEX many times and seen how crazy an airport it is I can't imagine keeping a facility there truly secure and you have so many people connecting from south america and countries that require lots of extra inspections and questioning. Many more mexico originating traffic in MEX holding foreign passports that will require much more time and questions. CUN seems like the no brainer spot to me the flights are what 95+% US passport holders pn vacation would you say?

I bet we see Montreal pre-clearance at the train station before we see this. Just my thoughts on pre clearance

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos