fxramper
Topic Author

United To Start EWR-DXB?

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:27 pm

There is a new commercial having cab drivers from around the world ask what airline in the foreign language and the only city not served by EWR n/s is DXB. I've heard UA wants to open IAD - Saudi n/s and transfer their DXB route to EWR to link Dubai and NYC. Any truth to this rumor? Also, I couldn't locate the commercial on youtube.

http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2015/united-airlines-nyc-half

United787

RE: United To Start EWR-DXB?

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:31 pm

Quoting fxramper (Thread starter):

There is a new commercial having cab drivers from around the world ask what airline in the foreign language and the only city not served by EWR n/s is DXB. I've heard UA wants to open IAD - Saudi n/s and transfer their DXB route to EWR to link Dubai and NYC. Any truth to this rumor? Also, I couldn't locate the commercial on youtube.

Sorry, I am having a hard time following what you are saying. Whose commercial?

DCAYOW

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:32 pm

A transfer would surprise me.

My understanding is the UA flight from Dulles to DXB carries a lot of defense contractor, diplomatic and other US government workers to the Gulf. This traffic is from DC and not so much from NYC so by transferring this to EWR would make UA uncompetitive in any future GSA contract bid process as DL serves DXB from ATL and may wish to undercut a UA: WAS-EWR-DXB connection.
Retorne ao céu...

fxramper
Topic Author

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:40 pm

Quoting DCAYOW (Reply 2):

Gov seats will be covered regardless from NYC or DC. Direct isn't an issue. Hearing a lot of chatter from UA crews saying UA wants to serve DXB from NYC direct. Was curious if the commercial I just watched was one of those coded admissions that the route is in the works.

Rdh3e

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:42 pm

Quoting fxramper (Reply 3):
Hearing a lot of chatter from UA crews saying UA wants to serve DXB from NYC direct.

Ahh the fount of Network Planning knowledge!

CALMSP

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:55 pm

I anticipate an a/c swap coming for DXB with the 787 being introduced for both DXB and KWI/BAH. Closer to the Q4 timeframe.

tommy767

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:55 pm

I don't think it's happening. IAD-DXB is succesful in it's own right so I hope it doesn't get moved in favor of EWR.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

jayunited

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:17 pm

Hearing a lot of chatter from UA crews saying UA wants to serve DXB from NYC direct.

And here is the answer to the question that everyone is going to ask? So the source of the this rumor is crew chatter, while sometimes crew chatter does turn out to be true what would UA gain by moving this flight from IAD to EWR? The load factors are great, from what UA has stated in the past on flying together when they ended the DXB-DOH tag UA claimed the IAD-DXB sector continued to exceed expectations, UA re-timed the flight going back to the original 22:15 departure time to make for better more convenient connections from the West Coast and UA still carries some government traffic on this flight. I'm not sure what can be gained by moving this flight to EWR, I think this rumor is nothing more than speculation built on top of a foundation of crew chatter.

LAXdude1023

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:50 pm

Gov seats will be covered regardless from NYC or DC. Direct isn't an issue. Hearing a lot of chatter from UA crews saying UA wants to serve DXB from NYC direct. Was curious if the commercial I just watched was one of those coded admissions that the route is in the works.

No. Those government contracts come from DC. Thats where the flight needs to be.

It will either be an additional flight or nothing.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

fxramper
Topic Author

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:12 am

Quoting jayunited (Reply 7):

A former college roommate that works at UA in Chicago.

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 8):
No. Those government contracts come from DC. Thats where the flight needs to be.

Seats the gov use aren't paid for they are a write off and don't attribute the the financial success of a flight so I fail to see what you mean. The majority of federal traffic on that flight isn't fd in Dubai.

32andBelow

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:26 am

No the government can care less if you need to connect. They are gonna fly you how they want to.

LAXdude1023

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:31 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 9):
Seats the gov use aren't paid for they are a write off and don't attribute the the financial success of a flight so I fail to see what you mean. The majority of federal traffic on that flight isn't fd in Dubai.

Its not the people working for the government directly, its the contractors that get government or military based work and yes they do use that flight to DXB frequently. I work with quite a few of them.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

enilria

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:40 am

While I also think it would be dumb to move the IAD flight given the obvious locked in USA govt business, I do think it's inevitable that EWR has nonstop service to DXB.

jfklganyc

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:02 am

On Emirates...not United

There are too many seats US to DXB. Emirates is connecting a lot of people because they are the hub airline. Any US airline serving NYC to DXB has to go against 4 380s ( one via MXP)

Thomaas

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:01 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 10):

No the government can care less if you need to connect. They are gonna fly you how they want to.

Many companies will allow their employees to pay a few hundred dollars more for a non-stop over a connecting flight. The route has good O&D because of the US Gov't and all the companies that work with them that are required to fly with a US carrier when possible. Don't think for a minute that this traffic would stay on UA if they moved the flight over to EWR. They would have to split the pie with DL on this one since their flight would not be the most convenient option anymore.

commavia

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:09 am

Quoting Thomaas (Reply 14):
US Gov't and all the companies that work with them that are required to fly with a US carrier when possible. Don't think for a minute that this traffic would stay on UA if they moved the flight over to EWR. They would have to split the pie with DL on this one since their flight would not be the most convenient option anymore.

U.S. government and government contractor traffic need not actually fly a U.S. carrier - but merely a flight that carriers a U.S. carrier code. While I agree that United surely dominates the WAS-DXB U.S. government-driven O&D traffic because of its nonstop flight, a U.S. government or government contractor employee would, for example, but perfectly within the rules to fly BA/AA* via LHR, AF/DL* via CDG, LH/UA* via FRA, etc.

Thomaas

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:36 am

Quoting commavia (Reply 15):

Quoting Thomaas (Reply 14):
US Gov't and all the companies that work with them that are required to fly with a US carrier when possible. Don't think for a minute that this traffic would stay on UA if they moved the flight over to EWR. They would have to split the pie with DL on this one since their flight would not be the most convenient option anymore.

U.S. government and government contractor traffic need not actually fly a U.S. carrier - but merely a flight that carriers a U.S. carrier code. While I agree that United surely dominates the WAS-DXB U.S. government-driven O&D traffic because of its nonstop flight, a U.S. government or government contractor employee would, for example, but perfectly within the rules to fly BA/AA* via LHR, AF/DL* via CDG, LH/UA* via FRA, etc.

So UA's share of that market would drop even more significantly if they transfer the route to EWR.

luckyone

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:39 pm

I've heard UA wants to open IAD - Saudi n/s and transfer their DXB route to EWR to link Dubai and NYC

Are the events linked for a reason per crew chatter? Nothing is stopping United from operating EWR-DXB, as DXB-US is Open Skies. Why couldn't they operate both as IAD is doing quite well for them, it appears.

aca36

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:44 pm

There is a new commercial having cab drivers from around the world ask what airline in the foreign language and the only city not served by EWR n/s is DXB.

Sadly, BKK is another that's not served anymore...

kgaiflyer

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:59 pm

There is a new commercial having cab drivers from around the world ask what airline in the foreign language and the only city not served by EWR n/s is DXB.

http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events...-half

Forgive me.

What does this link have to do with the thread.

I've heard UA wants to open IAD - Saudi n/s

Seems perfect for a 789. And recently there have been complaints about in-flight service on SV (no alcohol allowed; women in a separate cabin from men).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos