Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mrcomet
Topic Author

Other Paper Airlines Like Manx2

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:42 pm

I was watching one of those airline crash shows and they were looking at the Manx 2 crash in Cork of a Metroliner. One of the safety findings was that Manx 2 was an airline only in its paperwork. They owned no airplanes and basically put together contracted crews and planes to fly their routes. Basically, they were a ticket selling company. This, safety experts said, contributed to the crash because pilots were afraid to divert because they didn't have a way to buy fuel.

The thought occurred to me: after this finding, did this mean an end of these kind of operations? Was Manx 2 unique? Are there any airlines now operating regularly scheduled services that basically follow this model? Are there any paper airlines?
The dude abides

777way

RE: Other Paper Airlines Like Manx2

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:56 pm

Air Sinai of Egypt who fly to Tel Aviv for Egypt Air, but they originally were a proper airline with their own fleet, routes and branding.

vatveng

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:24 am

PeoplExpress was a paper airline. They contracted with Vision to fly a pair of 737s between PHF and Newark, Atlanta, Orlando and a couple other places. Their spectacular failure was well-chronicled in a half-dozen threads here on a.net

PEOPLExpress Announces Inaugural Service (by MSYtristar May 30 2014 in Civil Aviation)
PEOPLExpress Has Started Ops (by N62NA Jun 30 2014 in Civil Aviation)
PeoplExpress Loses Half Fleet In Mishap (by DTWPurserBoy Sep 26 2014 in Civil Aviation)
People Express Still Suspending Service? (by American 767 Oct 19 2014 in Civil Aviation)
PEX No Longer Allowed To Operate At PHF (by flyiguy Nov 10 2014 in Civil Aviation)
PeopleExpress Evicted From Offices At PHF (by DTWPurserBoy Jan 23 2015 in Civil Aviation)

N415XJ

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:40 am

Quoting 777way (1" class="quote">Reply 1):
but they originally were a proper airline with their own fleet, routes and branding.

I don't think that they were ever a 'proper' airline like Egypt Air or El Al. From what I understand, they always operated on the 'down low', with unmarked planes or even clearly marked gates. I may be wrong, however.

Here is a link to an article that reads almost like an Air Sinai trip report. Very interesting. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...om-flight-to-israel/article627176/

*EDIT* Never mind. I found some old pictures of their 737-200s and F-27s in full branding. What an odd little airline, though. Would be quite the experience to fly with them some day.

[Edited 2015-03-02 16:44:54]

777way

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:58 am

In 1980s they were a full airline, serving some Eurpoean points as well besides domestic services.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Propfreak

ElanusNotatus

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:34 am

Would Danish company FlexFlight fall into this category?

They sell tickets under their own IATA two letter code W2 but the flights are operated by other carriers. Basically, FlexFlight offers subhosting as well as sales and marketing support for the likes of Avies, Direkyflyg, AIS Airlines, and others.
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

zippyjet

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:28 am

https://books.google.com/books?id=muUCAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA13&lpg=PA13&dq=royal+atlantic+airways&source=bl&ots=Fxw0-bvUJY&sig=Zal3TRCkGQCQGdvhJXSe1RLKnwA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=I3D1VIryLuSwsAS1rYHgBw&ved=0CDcQ6AEwBA

Big hair, President Regan, The Cosby Show, MTV doing music videos; The year 1987 and a rich New York dude was coming up with a boutique airline named Royal Atlantic Airways. Flying a Boeing 707 with a super luxury interior for 50 well heeled travelers. I remember seeing splashy ads in W Magazine. It was a concept and flew on the pages of upmarket print media but never climbed to cruising altitude.
Later in the Mid to late 2000 decade some other investors came up with another boutique airline with the same name. More trees sacrificed themselves for these flights of paper fantasy.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

edina

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:46 am

Quoting mrcomet (Thread starter):

I was watching one of those airline crash shows and they were looking at the Manx 2 crash in Cork of a Metroliner. One of the safety findings was that Manx 2 was an airline only in its paperwork. They owned no airplanes and basically put together contracted crews and planes to fly their routes. Basically, they were a ticket selling company. This, safety experts said, contributed to the crash because pilots were afraid to divert because they didn't have a way to buy fuel.

The thought occurred to me: after this finding, did this mean an end of these kind of operations? Was Manx 2 unique? Are there any airlines now operating regularly scheduled services that basically follow this model? Are there any paper airlines?

Manx 2 are alive and still operating albeit after a name change and a management buy output it's still the same people running the show and with the same business plan.

Flights are operated by Van Air Europe LET410s and Links Air J31.
Worked on - Caravelle Mercure A300 A320 F27 SD3-60 BAe146 747-100/200/400 DC10-30 767 777 737-400 757 A319 A321

vfw614

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:38 am

Es Air of Denmark --> flights are operated by Jettime
Rhein Neckar Air of Germany --> flights are operated by MHS Aviation

Eurohub

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:46 am

Quoting edina (Reply 7):
Manx 2 are alive and still operating albeit after a name change and a management buy output it's still the same people running the show and with the same business plan.

I watched the show referred to by the OP and the investigators seemed both horrified and surprised that an operation like Manx2 was at the time of the ORK crash could exist.

It left me wondering if those people were for real! I mean, anyone browsing A.net prior to ORK would have known about the business model of Manx2 and the fact that it was entirely legitimate - were these investigators unfamiliar with ACMI leases?

Regards,
Eurohub
Forget A vs B - Give me E or BAe any day of the week!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos