Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Eurohub
Topic Author

BMI Regional Dropping BHX-GOT

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:39 am

Whilst researching the possibilities for a trip to Gothenburg this week I noticed that BM have called time on their last route ex-BHX by dropping GOT with the last flights being on the 27th March 2015.

GOT's Wikipedia entry (not the most reliable source) confirms that as well as the airline itself but goes on to mention new routes to Gothenburg from BA (operated by franchise partner Sun-Air) from Cambridge and Birmingham (starting 30th March 2015).

BHX-GOT isn't bookable on ba.com and I can't find any recognised reference to it as a new route but CBG-GOT is certainly available. Sun Air press release here: https://tmcomponents.travelmarket.com//modules/TM_Attachbank2/upload/1166/PressemedCBGGOTFEB17UK.pdf

As it turns out, my meetings have been brought forward to the 23rd March so I can fly with BM from BHX as originally planned but does anyone know whether a Sun Air/BA route BHX-GOT is a reality or just some mischief making on Wikipedia?

Regards,
Eurohub
Forget A vs B - Give me E or BAe any day of the week!

tom11

RE: BMI Regional Dropping BHX-GOT

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:06 pm

There is a reference listed in the article that should answer your question, no?

http://www.emtonica.com/news/danish-...to-take-over-gothenburg---birm?tm=

GSTBA

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Quoting Eurohub (Thread starter):
BHX-GOT isn't bookable on ba.com and I can't find any recognised reference to it as a new route but CBG-GOT is certainly available. Sun Air press release here: https://tmcomponents.travelmarket.com//modules/TM_Attachbank2/upload/1166/PressemedCBGGOTFEB17UK.pdf

SUN-AIR of Scandinavia have not made any official announcement regarding replacing BM on the BHX-GOT route. If such a announcement is made then flights will be available to book on ba.com

Quoting tom11 (Reply 1):
There is a reference listed in the article that should answer your question, no?

http://www.emtonica.com/news/danish-...to-take-over-gothenburg---birm?tm=

This article doesn't state were the information has come from, therefore it should be treated as a rumour until some sort of official announcement is made.

seansasLCY

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:43 pm

It was also reported on CH Aviation but I haven't seen anything elsewhere. Surely they are leaving it late now as we're already in March.

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ne...e-bmis-birmingham-gothenburg-route

777way

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:09 pm

There are various sources now reporting the suspenson.

vv701

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:48 am

I wonder about Sun-Air taking over the BHX-GOT route.

bmi Regional are currently operating this service with an EMB-135 configured for up to 38 passengers. Sun-Air's Do 328s are configured for up to 32 passengers. I do not know the relative efficiencies of these two types but doubt it is likely that a type with just six fewer seats would turn what is almost certainly a loss making service into a profitable one.

seansasLCY

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:53 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 5):

I wonder about Sun-Air taking over the BHX-GOT route.

bmi Regional are currently operating this service with an EMB-135 configured for up to 38 passengers. Sun-Air's Do 328s are configured for up to 32 passengers. I do not know the relative efficiencies of these two types but doubt it is likely that a type with just six fewer seats would turn what is almost certainly a loss making service into a profitable one.

Sun Air has BA's brand, frequent flyer programme and website to support it so it might help.

cityairline

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:09 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 5):
what is almost certainly a loss making service into a profitable one.

Based on?

The flight was mostly 90% business travelers.

Quoting seansasLCY (Reply 6):
Sun Air has BA's brand, frequent flyer programme and website to support it so it might help.

I completly agree. I believe the problem was not the route, but the airline. Sun Air (BA) already serve GOT-MAN nonstop on a daily basis.

When City Airline was alive, they served both GOT-MAN and GOT-BHX double daily, so the business demand on these routes is actually quite healthy.

/Alex

[Edited 2015-03-04 04:09:42]
I don't fly to live, I live to fly...

gkirk

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:12 pm

Quoting seansasLCY (Reply 6):

Do BA have any kind of brand whatsoever in BHX anymore?  
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

BHXLOVER

Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:45 pm

No, they disappeared off back to LHR and donated BHX's nearly 10 million passengers a year to AF,LH,KLM TK and EK.

vv701

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:40 pm

Quoting CityAirline (Reply 7):
The flight was mostly 90% business travelers.

Source? After all it is a Y Class only flight. No C Class tickets are sold. So counting the number of business travellers is not easy. Anyway would it make that much difference to route profitability unless a majority of business passengers paid around an extra third for a fully flexible ticket that would bring no other benefit?

The 38Y EMB-135 used on the BHX-GOT service will be redeployed to a new BM base at MUC along with one of their EMB-145s come the start of the Summer 15 Timetable. This again suggests that the BHX-GOT flight is not a great money spinner. Start up costs from a new base can be quite high.

gkirk

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:48 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 10):

BHX-GOT was operated by a GOT based a/c IIRC, and the GOT base is closing.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos