tmiw
Topic Author

WN Adopting A Second Aircraft Type: Possible?

Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:58 am

WN has nearly always been a 737 airline. Given that there's been talk of Hawaii service, red-eyes and other international destinations though, is there a point where it won't be enough just to have the 737?

For instance, WN could probably only do Hawaii to/from their western US destinations (SAN, LAX, SFO/OAK/SJC, PDX, SEA); eastern US to Hawaii would not be possible without a connection. Would WN find value in 1-2 frequencies a day from a couple of their larger eastern cities to Hawaii using an aircraft such as the 787? There might also be a couple of international destinations which would not lend themselves well to high frequencies like their continental US service does that could benefit.

Thoughts?

Boeing778X

RE: WN Adopting A Second Aircraft Type: Possible?

Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:10 am

Quoting tmiw (Thread starter):
Given that there's been talk of Hawaii service, red-eyes and other international destinations though, is there a point where it won't be enough just to have the 737?

That what the 737-800s are for.
Also, the 737 MAX 7 can also probably do West Coast-Hawaii easily, with a range of 3800nm.

For the foreseeable future, WN will remain an all 737 airline, but when the NSA comes around, they get it.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

TWA772LR

Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:41 am

It's taken WN almost 40 years to fly international. Now it will probably take another 40 to fly across any meaningful body of water. Kidding of course. WNs expansions seem to be getting closer together and larger. Perhaps TATL in 10-15 years? They can probably do that with the 737-7MAX after a few PIPs from BOS.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Boeing717200

Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:53 am

Yes. As soon as the first 737 replacement rolls off the assembly line.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

tmiw
Topic Author

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:44 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 3):
Yes. As soon as the first 737 replacement rolls off the assembly line.

Of course. I should probably clarify though; I was wondering more along the lines of whether WN would ever adopt a different type (widebody/regional jet/turboprop), much like how B6 uses A320s and E190s.

baqnav

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:25 am

I think the ceo has said on record a second and even third type,is doable. Long after we are posting today, there will be another type as the 737 MAX is the last of the 737 line started in the mid 1960s.
My opions are mine, not my employers

AR385

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:33 am

Being that "Single Type Fleet" is one of their core competencies and one of their core philosophies, if not THE core philosophy, I very much doubt they´ll get something different than a 737.

They are also probably looking very closely at the mess that nowadays is Norwegian with their idea of getting 787s to fly international and are shaking their heads.

masseybrown

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:41 am

Tammy Romo, WN CFO, at the 3/3/15 J P Morgan Aviation Conference said WN evaluates virtually everything but currently there are no plans for a second aircraft type. She allowed for the possibility of a change at some future time.

TWA772LR

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:44 am

Quoting tmiw (Reply 4):
Of course. I should probably clarify though; I was wondering more along the lines of whether WN would ever adopt a different type (widebody/regional jet/turboprop), much like how B6 uses A320s and E190s.

When the Ejets were debuting, Airways stated that WN was "closely watching" the series. Perhaps an E195E2 order?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Thomaas

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:26 am

I think WN would benefit from a smaller aircraft to connect more cities together. The CS100/CS300 would fit perfectly in that model.

LAX772LR

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:15 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 6):
Being that "Single Type Fleet" is one of their core competencies and one of their core philosophies,

So was "secondary airports"... look where that went

Quoting AR385 (Reply 6):
if not THE core philosophy

Not as much as ya might think: IINM, Herb once told Boeing that if they could get 757s at (a price that was apparently insanely low), he would've bought and operated them side-by-side.

I tend to lean more toward thinking that this was possibly a ploy for better 737 prices, but considering that the 737NG wasn't on offer at that point, and the 737 Jurassics and Classics didn't have the longer-haul economics that we're used to today.... he could've been serious.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Boeing778X

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:22 am

Quoting Thomaas (Reply 9):
I think WN would benefit from a smaller aircraft to connect more cities together. The CS100/CS300 would fit perfectly in that model.

Well, the CS300 is arguably in the same league as the 737-700, which WN has several hundred of, and I don't see anywhere where the CS100 would be useful.

I mean, for any other airline with big fleets, sure. For example:

CS100
CS300
A320/737-8
A321/737-9

AR385

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:23 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 10):

Yes, of course anything is possible. But knowing how they operate and their philosophy, It´s not likely that airplane type may change in the short to medium term.

I also do not see them needing anything like a widebody. They would have to change their entire model if they were to efficiently use that type, which would mean long range, international routes. Mid to deep South America for example, and I really don´t see them doing that.

It´s not really about getting a different plane. Getting a different plane means a complete revampo of their model. I just don´t see that.

But sure, I don´t work there and have no knowledge of what goes on. I´m just offering and informed opinion I hope.

barney captain

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:34 am

Interestingly - and possibly related - is the fact that we, for the first time in our history, have dropped the 737 type rating as a requirement for a job offer.

[Edited 2015-03-03 23:34:26]
Southeast Of Disorder

Abeam79

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:34 am

In short, no. They have lots of labor/cost issues looming. WN is probably the most conservative company when it comes to their business model. They got rid of the FL 717's faster than they can even get them online. When they were going after buying F9 before buying FL they said they we're going to scrap the Buses. This philosophy has been good and bad. The good, it streamlined costs and made modest profits for many years, bad has been shown more recently with finally joining every other airline in the U.S. to go beyond our borders. But now that everyone else has, they are too late to the game and they have a hard time getting yields they like because of yield pressure in the already tapped area.
B6 on the other hand is very keen on evolving, and their networking is brilliant. They codeshare/interline with a total of 38 international carriers. They scoop up passengers from foreign markets afar so brand recognition is robust outside the U.S. Plus the focus cities are places with lots of international connections. WN have no codeshare/interline, fly into secondary airports with no other mainly foreign airline to partner with. IE bwi/hou/mdw/dal have almost nil international traffic. So beyond the U.S. Their brand is nonexistent. They can eventually evolve, secondary a/c type, etc, but it will be long, costly, and by then I'm sure You'll see B6 grabbing larger gauge widebodies as they hint at it seems. We'll see over time.

rwessel

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:40 am

Quoting barney captain (Reply 13):
Interestingly - and possibly related - is the fact that we, for the first time in our history, have dropped the 737 type rating as a requirement for interview.

Although that could simply be due to more a limited supply of pilots. Someone with an ATP and all the other requirements isn't going to take that much time to get their 737 cert, probably about a month.

SWADawg

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:49 am

B6 is a quarter of the size of WN with a regional focus primarily on the East coast. They simply don't have enough of a passenger base to fill Widebodies across the Atlantic. Now if B6 were to be acquired by WN, then the combined network would have more than enough passengers to fill Widebodies to Europe, South America and Asia if they so choose.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:55 am

I think we're gonna see wn stay in the 737 family. They had the opportunity to get a a second plane type and sold the 717s so I see them staying 737 focused.

Wn ain't headed to Europe too seasonal IMHO.

Abeam79

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:30 am

Quoting SWADawg (Reply 16):

B6 operate in the biggest international market in North America. It's not size that matters, no pun, it's network and market that's more important. They already said jfk-sju can easily support widebody, Nyc has most Puerto Ricans outside of P.R. Same for jfk-Dominican republic. They are majority o&d airline, so it would work. As Scott Laurence, v.p. Of B6's network planning said in a aviation week interview a little while ago: " “widebodies could make sense in the current network.”

[Edited 2015-03-04 00:31:54]

MaverickTTT

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:37 pm

I've said it before, will say it again: my gut feeling based on the way WN is evolving and their current trajectory is that there will be a widebody on the property within 10 years. Going smaller makes no sense. Going bigger, on the other hand...

There's a lot of technology and labor issues that should (hopefully) be ironed out in the next 24-36 months that will pave the way for much more rapid/ambitious expansion...and I think that expansion will include longer-haul flights. The "single-type" mantra works for the WN of old. For better or worse, they're evolving into something completely different...and, anything that may be leaving money on the table is likely being reconsidered.

Now if B6 were to be acquired by WN, then the combined network would have more than enough passengers to fill Widebodies to Europe, South America and Asia if they so choose.

[Edited 2015-03-04 07:42:56]

[Edited 2015-03-04 07:45:18]

SWADawg

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:52 pm

Quoting Abeam79 (Reply 18):

The flaw in your theory is the fact that B6 doesn't have the breadth of Network outside of NYC to consistently have the loads and yields necessary to fill Widebodies to Europe. WN does have that. In fact 1 out of every 4 Passengers in the US flies on a WN Aircraft. That is 25% domestic market share in the US for WN alone. B6 can't even come close to saying that. That is the reason that B6 has chosen to interline to Europe instead of flying their own Widebodies.

PHLBOS

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Not as much as ya might think: IINM, Herb once told Boeing that if they could get 757s at (a price that was apparently insanely low), he would've bought and operated them side-by-side.

I tend to lean more toward thinking that this was possibly a ploy for better 737 prices, but considering that the 737NG wasn't on offer at that point, and the 737 Jurassics and Classics didn't have the longer-haul economics that we're used to today.... he could've been serious.

I have to wonder whether or not the above took place when WN was briefly flying 727s.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

allegiantflyer

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:43 pm

WN made probably the most intellectual decision in aviation business and stuck with the single aircraft type. This has saved millions(probably billions but I am not sure of the actual statistic) of dollars, money they could spend on other things. The all 737 fleet is a major part of the Southwest culture, and I would hope they keep it as part of their culture as the rapid transition seems to be loosing a lot. But to sum everything up WN had a unique idea,made it happen and saved money on top of that! Pretty cool.

Quoting Abeam79 (Reply 14):

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with B6?

Ok not to nag or anything but I have a low tolerance for airline fanatics. And not to call you out but you are probably the most biased poster, especially about WN. I love southwest to but we need to stay realistic here WN will not be acquiring all the airlines you have said they would they literally just got done with an acquisition 3 months ago, they need realizing time. WN no surprise southwest is a big player in the domestic market they spent 40 years there so no surprise but look at the international market and WN is smaller than a fingernail while B6 holds a big part. WN is a big boy they can do things on their own(all though they only got into the international market because of AirTran so I could be wrong)

tmiw
Topic Author

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:46 pm

Quoting MaverickTTT (Reply 19):
I've said it before, will say it again: my gut feeling based on the way WN is evolving and their current trajectory is that there will be a widebody on the property within 10 years. Going smaller makes no sense. Going bigger, on the other hand...

There's a lot of technology and labor issues that should (hopefully) be ironed out in the next 24-36 months that will pave the way for much more rapid/ambitious expansion...and I think that expansion will include longer-haul flights. The "single-type" mantra works for the WN of old. For better or worse, they're evolving into something completely different...and, anything that may be leaving money on the table is likely being reconsidered.

If WN does go widebody, would they try to keep the single-class configuration of their 737 fleet or will we see some sort of J/F type option like B6's Mint?

SWADawg

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:49 pm

The story about the 757's that I've a,ways heard was that Boeing was begging Herb to give them a look see, and that they were seriously considered when the -300's first started showing up. The thing that ultimately killed the deal was the fact that the wingspan of the 757 wouldn't fit into the existing 737 gates, so the decision was made to stick with the 737. If Boeing had offered a folding wing option on the 757, then I think you could have potentially seen a fleet of about 100 red bellied 757's flying the U.S. and beyond. Unfortunately, it was not meant to be. Hopefully a folding wing will be an option on the NSA if the dimensions are similar to the 757.

Boeing778X

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Quoting SWADawg (Reply 24):
The story about the 757's that I've a,ways heard was that Boeing was begging Herb to give them a look see, and that they were seriously considered when the -300's first started showing up.

Well, ATA had 757-300s (those frames went to CO), and ATA became a codeshare partner.

Unfortunately, it was not meant to be. Hopefully a folding wing will be an option on the NSA if the dimensions are similar to the 757.

The NSA will make it to WN, but not sure about folding wings.

SXDFC

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:27 pm

I hate to break it to you all, but I seriously doubt WN will adopt another fleet type anytime soon. They recently had an opportunity to take on another A/C type and they couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Beatyair

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:38 pm

Why? Eastern cities would have to make a stop for fuel in a western city and continue or transfer to another aircraft. No big deal and maybe better then sitting on a plan for 7 hours. The price you pay for paying less with Southwest.

DDR

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:41 pm

If, WN ever does diversify the fleet, I believe they will go smaller than the 737. They are eventually going to start going after smaller markets, or add more point to point routes that can't fill 737s with high frequency. As for larger aircraft, I can't see them operating the 737-900.

barney captain

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:10 pm

Quoting DDR (Reply 28):
If, WN ever does diversify the fleet, I believe they will go smaller than the 737

Again, we had a smaller frame on property - and promptly got rid of it. If anything (and I think it's a long way off, if ever) WN will see a larger airframe.

As far as the KISS principle, WN could follow what SkyMark did with their A330's and still offer a single class, but in an all Premium Economy configuration.
Southeast Of Disorder

93Sierra

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:32 pm

Even though the current contract prohibits it, if they wanted smaller, wouldn't it be easier to have a Southwest Express, operated by Skywest etc? Get the feed from smaller markets without taking the risks associated with adding another type?

N1120A

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:01 pm

WN has nearly always been a 737 airline. Given that there's been talk of Hawaii service, red-eyes and other international destinations though, is there a point where it won't be enough just to have the 737?

They can do all of those things with the 737.

For instance, WN could probably only do Hawaii to/from their western US destinations (SAN, LAX, SFO/OAK/SJC, PDX, SEA);

And? Remember that Hawaii flying is really concentrated in the west anyway, with non-stop routes from even the Rockies being fairly limited.

Quoting Boeing778X (Reply 1):
Also, the 737 MAX 7 can also probably do West Coast-Hawaii easily, with a range of 3800nm.

Thew 73G/W can do that right now. So can the 738/H.

Well, that's not the best example anyway. They have always flown to some pretty major airports.

I'd imagine that, if they price was right, he would have done it. If he had, WN would probably already be in Hawaii and even in Europe.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 21):

I have to wonder whether or not the above took place when WN was briefly flying 727s.

Well, one of the 727 operations was part of a legal settlement and one was due to their massive growth and waiting on the 733. I don't think WN ever seriously considered the 727 as a long term fleet type, if only because of the terrible economics.

Quoting Boeing778X (Reply 25):
The story about the 757's that I've a,ways heard was that Boeing was begging Herb to give them a look see, and that they were seriously considered when the -300's first started showing up.

Well, ATA had 757-300s (those frames went to CO), and ATA became a codeshare partner.

I think the OP meant the 737-300, which debuted just 2 years after the 757.

Quoting 93Sierra (Reply 30):
Even though the current contract prohibits it, if they wanted smaller, wouldn't it be easier to have a Southwest Express, operated by Skywest etc? Get the feed from smaller markets without taking the risks associated with adding another type?

That is a massively expensive way of doing business.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

93Sierra

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 31):

If it's somexpensive why does every major have a regional feeder operation? There is no way a major could fly a 50 seated into BFE cheaper than a regional partner flying under a contract under negotiated termS.

N1120A

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm

Quoting 93Sierra (Reply 32):
If it's somexpensive why does every major have a regional feeder operation?

Because they have a different business model than WN does.

Quoting 93Sierra (Reply 32):
There is no way a major could fly a 50 seated into BFE cheaper than a regional partner flying under a contract under negotiated termS.

That is arguable, because it has never really been tried.

masseybrown

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:59 pm

Quoting DDR (Reply 28):
If, WN ever does diversify the fleet, I believe they will go smaller than the 737. They are eventually going to start going after smaller markets,

Historically, that isn't what happens in the US. I'd like to see it though; there nbeeds to be an economical way to serve the smaller cities.

MD80Nut

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:33 pm

Ultimately, as others have said, it depends on how far SW's international expansion goes. If they plan to go beyond Hawaii, The Caribbean, Mexico, Central America and maybe northern South America, they will need something like a 767, 787 or A330. That's pretty much the bottom line.

Cheers, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

tmiw
Topic Author

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:42 pm

Quoting MD80Nut (Reply 35):

Ultimately, as others have said, it depends on how far SW's international expansion goes. If they plan to go beyond Hawaii, The Caribbean, Mexico, Central America and maybe northern South America, they will need something like a 767, 787 or A330. That's pretty much the bottom line.

By the time WN gets there it would probably be between the 787 and A330neo. I don't think anyone's even ordering 767s now, actually.

Also, could they choose some city in Central America as a "focus city" and be able to go further south in South America without having to go widebody?

32andBelow

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:51 pm

Quoting tmiw (Reply 36):
By the time WN gets there it would probably be between the 787 and A330neo. I don't think anyone's even ordering 767s now, actually.

They don't have to be new ones. Granted if they got used 767s to start (WS) it would be more now than later.

INFINITI329

Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:06 am

Perhaps an E195E2 order?

If you go there might as well go with one that does more

Quoting MaverickTTT (Reply 19):
've said it before, will say it again: my gut feeling based on the way WN is evolving and their current trajectory is that there will be a widebody on the property within 10 years. Going smaller makes no sense. Going bigger, on the other hand...

I agree WN currently serves 76 out 390 Metropolitan areas in the United States (including the U.S.V.I and Puerto Rico). There is domestic growth for WN but it has to be with a smaller aircraft.

Within 10 years I think 737 MAX will be maxed as far as WN's route map is considered, they'll have to go either larger or smaller

Quoting tmiw (Reply 23):
If WN does go widebody, would they try to keep the single-class configuration of their 737 fleet or will we see some sort of J/F type option like B6's Mint?

They have to. From a revenue standpoint i think. If you want attract those willing to pay more you got to build it first.

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 26):
I hate to break it to you all, but I seriously doubt WN will adopt another fleet type anytime soon. They recently had an opportunity to take on another A/C type and they couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
Quoting barney captain (Reply 29):
Again, we had a smaller frame on property - and promptly got rid of it. If anything (and I think it's a long way off, if ever) WN will see a larger airframe.

The problem with the 717 its cost were too comparable with the 737 to justify to keep it. If WN goes smaller it MUST be at a lower cost than what it would cost to operate a 737-700.

chrisp390

Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:52 am

There is an absolutely massive market for them to serve in the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America and parts of South America that keeps growing year over year as those economies grow. Plus they dont even serve all US states yet plus they don't even serve Canada. So if and when those markets are fully exhausted they may consider it but by that time I am sure the widebody aircraft on offer and many other variables will have changed.

barney captain

Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:55 am

Quoting tmiw (Reply 36):
Also, could they choose some city in Central America as a "focus city" and be able to go further south in South America without having to go widebody?

I've actually heard this rumor FWIW. I believe there was to be an Intl airport constructed in Costa Rica that had very favourable fifth freedom rights planned. If this were to happen, any widebody possibility would be pushed even further back.
Southeast Of Disorder

INFINITI329

Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:07 am

Quoting barney captain (Reply 40):
I've actually heard this rumor FWIW. I believe there was to be an Intl airport constructed in Costa Rica that had very favourable fifth freedom rights planned. If this were to happen, any widebody possibility would be pushed even further back.

Will the pilots, and f/a contracts allow this is the bigger question. My gut is no

NYPECO

Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:23 am

I don't think Southwest will buy any other aircraft. All the Hawaii routes will stop in California.

WN has nearly always been a 737 airline.

Nearly? When did they have anything else?

tmiw
Topic Author

Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:43 am

Quoting NYPECO (Reply 42):

There was a brief period of time when they had 727s. And they briefly owned 717s from AirTran but never flew them.

barney captain

Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:49 am

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 41):
Will the pilots, and f/a contracts allow this is the bigger question. My gut is no

Staffed by WN employees, there's nothing stopping it.

Southeast Of Disorder

DocLightning

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:30 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.

Nope. WN has never had a separate type and never will. Even in 100 years when the 737 is ancient history to all other airlines.  
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

N1120A

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:51 am

Quoting NYPECO (Reply 42):

They flew 727s at 2 distinct periods in their history.

Quoting MD80Nut (Reply 35):
Ultimately, as others have said, it depends on how far SW's international expansion goes.

I'm pretty sure SW will keep their long haul network to WDH-FRA  

SXDFC

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:56 am

Never say never..

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc368/737-8H4/new/6B83A78B-A38F-4093-BF08-676F0AE73744_zpsg8lg66qa.jpg

barney captain

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:43 am

Don't tease me....

Southeast Of Disorder

SWADawg

Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:44 pm

Should have ordered those 5 years ago. WN could cover the globe with just 2 fleet types.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos