N62NA

RE: Star Carriers At JFK Vs. EWR

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:03 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 46):
Actually it's way easier getting out of the city to the West as the Hudson crossings connect directly to Inter-States.

George Washington Bridge = I-95, I-80
Holland Tunnel = I-78, I-95
Lincoln Tunnel = I-95

This makes absolutely no sense. The problems and delays are on the Manhattan side getting INTO the tunnels and onto the GWB.

There are no Interstates in Brooklyn or Queens, whatever time is gained by crossing the East RIver is quickly lost by the inadequacies of the freeways in the boroughs of Queens and Brooklyn. All those East River Crossings, Save the Brooklyn Battery tunnel who no one is going to take to JFK unless their looking for punishment, lead to local roads with traffic lights and pedestrians.

How can someone who lives in the NYC area be so wrong?

The Brooklyn, Manhattan and Williamsburg bridges connect pretty directly to Interstate 278.
The Brooklyn Battery Tunnel IS an interstate (I-478) and connects directly to Interstate 278.
The Midtown Tunnel IS an interstate (I-495) and continues out to eastern Long Island as I-495
The Tri-Boro Bridge IS an interstate (I-278)

The New Jersey Turnpike is 12 lanes that separates cars from trucks and buses. Once through the Lincoln or Holland Tunnel it's full speed to EWR. No lights, no traffic etc..

Perhaps the only true thing you posted - no traffic lights on the NJ Turnpike.

Everything else you've posted here is FALSE.

[Edited 2015-03-07 13:04:53]

scamp

Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:06 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 43):
But one thing I want to dispel on this site about getting out of Manhattan...if you're trip starts or end with the Lincoln or Holland tunnels or the George Washington Bridge...you are in for a crappy start to your trip almost all day long 7 days a week.

Unless you want to drive up the Hudson NORTH of the GWB, and then backtrack, these three options are the only PRACTICAL ways to get into Manhattan if you're in a land vehicle. Trust me. I've lived right across the river from Manhattan for ten years. You have no real alternative.

As for the Holland and the Lincoln, there are many hours of an average day that they aren't that bad, and I've used both. Moreover, I live very close to NJ 139, the highway that leads to the NJ entrance to the Holland, a mile from the entrance to the tunnel. I see the traffic all the time and there are plenty of times in the day that the trip into Manhattan from my home is 20 minutes. I do believe, however, that west bound is generally worse, at least for the Holland. But if you leave lower Manhattan at a good time, through the tunnel, past the 139 repairs and the Pulaski repairs, you can be at EWR in less than an hour.
If it pisses off the right, I'm all for it.

jfklganyc

Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:20 pm

Actually it's way easier getting out of the city to the West as the Hudson crossings connect directly to Inter-States.

George Washington Bridge = I-95, I-80
Holland Tunnel = I-78, I-95
Lincoln Tunnel = I-95

My apologies. I must be incorrect.

N1120A

Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:50 am

Quoting CONTACREW (Reply 45):
Right coming from someone that hates anything CO did

Actually, I find their EWR INTL base to be fantastic, and their senior people at the LAX base do a great job. I think their management suck and hate their most loyal passengers.

so your response doesn't surprise me since you consider EWR third world.

I'm not a big fan of EWR, that is true. I have actual reasons for it.

Funny how most of the people I live near to or know on personal level always seem to choose to fly out of EWR over JFK/LGA.

So, you are speaking in anecdotes and not empirically? Ok. Can't help you now.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

CONTACREW

Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:56 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 53):
Actually, I find their EWR INTL base to be fantastic, and their senior people at the LAX base do a great job. I think their management suck and hate their most loyal passengers.

Agree with you there I'm NTA (Newark International) based and I always try my hardest to provide excellent service even if I may be having a horrible day.

I'm not a big fan of EWR, that is true. I have actual reasons for it.

Which is understandable not everyone likes EWR just like not everyone likes JFK. I like EWR the airport the actually city ehhh not so much.

So, you are speaking in anecdotes and not empirically? Ok. Can't help you now.

Those are people I know the people you know more then likely have different needs/wants then those I know.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

hz747300

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:14 am

When I lived in Brooklyn (Bay Ridge) LGA was the easiest to get to by livery cab (no taxis in Bay Ridge!) and JFK the next easiest. Only because the freeway to JFK was always backed up, except at night or early AM flights. I flew out of EWR once just to try it, but the livery cab added $20 to the bill. That's not for me, as I found the airport offered little in the way of services.

We flew to / from EWR on a mileage ticket last year, and it was ok. We flew early in the morning out and only a coffee shop was open. Flying in, I thought that CBP was completely awful and decided that I would avoid making EWR my port of entry anymore.

The options for flying from EWR, especially on UA to Europe, cannot be beat though.
Keep on truckin'...

N1120A

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:21 am

Quoting CONTACREW (Reply 54):
Agree with you there I'm NTA (Newark International) based and I always try my hardest to provide excellent service even if I may be having a horrible day.

My single experience with EWR INTL, on EWR-HKG in C, was quite good. It certainly wasn't their fault the food was terrible, and they gave absolutely flawless service. IAH DOM crew - well, there is a reason the call button is called the CO button. They give you folks a horrible name.

Anyway, the CO of Gordon Bethune is long, long gone. There is a ton of hubris on that side from what worked for a debt-ridden, fairly regional, niche carrier.

N62NA

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:28 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 52):
My apologies. I must be incorrect.

You aren't incorrect. Your statement that it is very difficult getting out of Manhattan via GWB or the Holland or Lincoln tunnels is absolutely correct. The problem is the congestion at the entry points to those Hudson River crossings on the Manhattan side. It has nothing to do with what's on the Jersey side.

However, it is nice to see someone apologize on here because they thought they were mistaken.

STT757

Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:37 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 50):
How can someone who lives in the NYC area be so wrong?

The Brooklyn, Manhattan and Williamsburg bridges connect pretty directly to Interstate 278.
The Brooklyn Battery Tunnel IS an interstate (I-478) and connects directly to Interstate 278.
The Midtown Tunnel IS an interstate (I-495) and continues out to eastern Long Island as I-495
The Tri-Boro Bridge IS an interstate (I-278)

Those are not "Interstates", which is my point. Interstates have either one or two digits, interstates are part of the Federal Highway system and built / funded / supported by Federal Highway dollars.

Examples of Interstates:

I-95, I-78, I-80

What you listed are "Intrastates", and not part of the Federal Highway system as they are supported locally.

The examples provided like I-278 is an Intra State that will connect you to an Interstate which in this example is I-78, the last two digits indicating what Interstates you can reach from that intrastate. The other example I-495 is an Intrastate that leads to I-95.

Here in New Jersey we have three Intra States, I-280 which leads to I-80, I-195 and I-295 which both lead to I-95.

There are two Interstates that form the boundaries of EWR, I-78 and I-95. The only Interstate in NYC is I-95 which cuts through the Bronx.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

VC10er

Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Please excuse my ignorance but what does A++ mean?

Thanks
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

CONTACREW

Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:16 pm

Quoting VC10er (Reply 59):
Please excuse my ignorance but what does A++ mean?

Thanks

Transatlantic JV between UA, LH, AC, OS, LX, & SN.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

VC10er

Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:10 pm

I have lived in NYC for 53 years. It's my home, and I LOVE New York City. I find the bickering on this thread to be pointless. Both JFK and EWR are fantastic options with LGA as a great side dish!

Traffic is unpredictable in NYC and you can fly on the roads in a taxi or car service to any of them with a fair amount of ease today (vs 20 years ago etc) because there are far better public transit options than there was. I fly very often for business and any of the 3 airports are fine. Any one can either be a joy ride or hell, it's a roll of the dice- I can, by car, get to EWR in 31 minutes...or 1.5 hours at the all-out worst if luck is not on my side, JFK is a bit longer ride from my 10th st apt, but not enough to make it a factor in selection of a flight. I've also made it to LGA in 20 minutes when my driver has a lead foot. I do often take care as my business covers it. When flying for personal reasons, I will take some form of public transit, I like the bus from Park & 42nd.

I feel very fortunate when it comes to all 3. As a United flier, YES, I miss those days when UA had amazing routes out of JFK. At one point 2 747's could be seen there. But while I spiritually prefer JFK and its historic significance, EWR is fine. I loath the architecture and did from the day they cut the ribbon. While it screams 1970's, TC is not that bad, really! The new concourse etc is not a breakthrough in airport design by any measure but it's very nice and clean and modern, although it has the old CO gate signs and the worst United Clubs in the network. WHEN WILL THEY RENOVATE THOSE CLUBS TO BE AS NICE AS LHR...as they should have been done sooner for United's giant international gateway??? It's embarrassing as an American to see such a poor lounge experience- I get roasted over the coals by my foreign friends over US airline experiences.

As to the point about Star Alliance carriers at EWR, it doesn't matter much to me, if I'm flying SWISS I'm fine going to JFK. But given United's astounding connection opportunities, if I was the CEO of SWISS and others in Star, I think I'd want to take advantage of the countless United connections. But, perhaps United doesn't want all the Star carriers there? United flies to Zurich and Geneva. I would assume Smisek would want the Swiss to fly United to EWR (or IAD) and then connect to almost every city or town in America or even the Caribbean / Mexico etc. The problem there is most SWISS business travelers would rather jump off the Matterhorn before flying UA vs SWISS. (SWISS is an excellent airline in business) and in First. So, note to Smisek: replace that CO dated lie flat seat with a fabulous BF seat and don't use paper napkins with ads printed on them etc and service is getting much better so keep that trajectory!)
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

N62NA

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:21 pm

Wow, I truly can't believe you are posting even more incorrect information. Let's take these one by one:

Quoting STT757 (Reply 58):
Those are not "Interstates", which is my point. Interstates have either one or two digits, interstates are part of the Federal Highway system and built / funded / supported by Federal Highway dollars.

Examples of Interstates:

I-95, I-78, I-80

The Interstate Highway System ALSO includes 3 digit designated highways carrying the familiar Interstate shield.

What you listed are "Intrastates", and not part of the Federal Highway system as they are supported locally.

Incorrect.

The examples provided like I-278 is an Intra State that will connect you to an Interstate which in this example is I-78, the last two digits indicating what Interstates you can reach from that intrastate. The other example I-495 is an Intrastate that leads to I-95.

Here in New Jersey we have three Intra States, I-280 which leads to I-80, I-195 and I-295 which both lead to I-95.

You are partly correct on this one. The last 2 digits of a 3 digit Interstate highway do designate the "associated" primary highway.

You are incorrect in that 3 digit designated Interstate Highways are only located within a single state. Take your own state of New Jersey and I-287, which runs through both New Jersey and New York states.

I suggest you start reading up on the Interstate Highway System, with this being a good place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway_System

N1120A

Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:11 pm

That is completely and totally wrong. Three digit interstates are bypasses or spurs, depending on whether the first number is odd or even. They are just as federally funded, under the 90/10 rule, as one and two digit interstates.

N62NA

Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:27 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 63):

That is completely and totally wrong. Three digit interstates are bypasses or spurs, depending on whether the first number is odd or even. They are just as federally funded, under the 90/10 rule, as one and two digit interstates.

Thanks for helping me set the record straight.

I don't even know why he brought up interstates in the first place, except to somehow try and paint EWR in a better light.

The fact is, it is much more difficult getting out of Manhattan by road if you are going to EWR vs LGA/JFK. This is why many carriers will only serve JFK. In addition, many of the Star Alliance carriers fly to destinations served by UA non-stop from EWR, so it makes sense that these carriers offer service from JFK and not EWR.

jfklganyc

Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:30 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 57):

However, it is nice to see someone apologize on here because they thought they were mistaken.

I was being sarcastic. haha. But I know when I am licked. STT gets on a Jersey thing, I just let him have it.

As a lifelong NYer, anyone who chooses to go through those tunnels to Jersey at rush hour to catch an international flight should have their head examined by a doctor to see why they loathe themselves that much. Seriously.

N62NA

Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:30 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 65):
I was being sarcastic. haha. But I know when I am licked. STT gets on a Jersey thing, I just let him have it.

As a lifelong NYer, anyone who chooses to go through those tunnels to Jersey at rush hour to catch an international flight should have their head examined by a doctor to see why they loathe themselves that much. Seriously.

Ah, OK! I was a little puzzled until you cleared that up.

I lived in NYC for 20 years, prior to that north Jersey for 20 years, so when I see EWR / NJ defenders going to such lengths as to post false information just to paint EWR in a good light, it really needs to be pointed out.

Some on here think I hate EWR but that isn't the case. I wish EWR was as popular with those living in Manhattan as LGA/JFK are, which would then make EWR a much more dynamic airport. But that simply isn't the case, that's the reality. A reality a few on here refuse to see.

N1120A

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:00 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 64):
The fact is, it is much more difficult getting out of Manhattan by road if you are going to EWR vs LGA/JFK. This is why many carriers will only serve JFK

I think it has a lot more to do with the better infrastructure. EWR simply can't do what JFK does.

hoya

Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:49 pm

Quoting simairlinenet (Thread starter):
LOT: JFK (closed EWR)

LO plans to restart WAW-EWR once the EU-mandated restrictions that were imposed after the Polish government's bailout expire.
Hoya Saxa!!

jetblue1965

Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:55 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 66):

EWR is far better public transit than LGA will ever have. AirTrain LGA is such a pipe dream it's not even funny.

N62NA

Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:55 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 69):
EWR is far better public transit than LGA will ever have.

I would be willing to bet that most people using EWR (or JFK or LGA for that matter) don't take public transit. Actually, it would be very interesting to see stats on the various modes of travel people use to get to each of the airports.

tommy767

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:07 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 69):

I actually think JFK is the best option to midtown. LIRR runs more frequently and off peak (with express lane options) to Penn. It's a 2 seat ride and can be a 1 seat ride if you choose to use the Subway.

I hate NJ Transit with a passion. Their schedules off peak are horrendous, fares are overpriced, trains are falling apart, and the line between NWK-Penn and NY Penn is always clogged up with delays. That, combined with the inadequate Airtrain at EWR (JFK's is superior) makes EWR a worse option.

That isn't even taking into consideration the better ontime statistics and more choices JFK has to offer over EWR. LGA will be a true craphole for a while. I avoid that airport as much as possible.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

jetblue1965

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:09 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 70):

I would be willing to bet that most people using EWR (or JFK or LGA for that matter) don't take public transit. Actually, it would be very interesting to see stats on the various modes of travel people use to get to each of the airports.

That's their choice of enjoying the traffic jam. With NJT + AirTrain EWR or LIRR + AirTrain JFK, I can pretty much know exactly when I'll arrive the airport. With LGA, it's a pure roll of the dice.

Having previously lived in Midtown Manhattan and currently living in Financial District Manhattan, that's been my personal experience - LGA access is an absolute PITA unless it's 7am on Saturday.

tommy767

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:12 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 72):
Having previously lived in Midtown Manhattan and currently living in Financial District Manhattan, that's been my personal experience - LGA access is an absolute PITA unless it's 7am on Saturday.

Although if you say screw it and just take a cab from the financial district to LGA, that's a true one seat option and painless.

There is also a "secret" method taking either LIRR or one of the subway lines (I can't remember) to Woodside and then a cab to LGA. Cab ride from Woodside to LGA is 10-15 mins and cabs tend to wait outside the station.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

MaverickM11

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:18 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 67):
I think it has a lot more to do with the better infrastructure. EWR simply can't do what JFK does.

I don't know that it has anything to do with infrastructure. JFK was still the premier international airport when it was a downright sh#thole, with each terminal worse than the next, which only changed fairly recently. What JFK does have is history, and close proximity to an endless list of large ethnic neighborhoods. There are a few that are closer to EWR but generally speaking EWR serves a different catchment area--Northern NJ, some Manhattan--than JFK, which gets a better stab at Manhattan and all of the ethnic neighborhoods of Queens and LI.
E pur si muove -Galileo

jetblue1965

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:24 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 71):

I hate NJ Transit with a passion. Their schedules off peak are horrendous, fares are overpriced, trains are falling apart, and the line between NWK-Penn and NY Penn is always clogged up with delays. That, combined with the inadequate Airtrain at EWR (JFK's is superior) makes EWR a worse option.

NJT to EWR curbside is $12.50, inclusive of both NJT and AirTrain. LIRR is like $9-something during peak hours and another $5 AirTrain access, so JFK is actually slightly higher priced.

I wouldn't characterize NJT as "overpriced". And there's the added benefit of avoiding the transfer at Jamaica, which can have a few seedy characters.

tommy767

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:37 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 75):

Sketchy characters???

I did it half a dozen times last year via Jamaica, there are no seedy characters. As a matter they have vendors selling beer by the train tracks. If it were unsafe, they wouldn't be selling alcohol.

NJT in general is overpriced. Maybe not from EWR to NYC, but in general riding from the Northern NJ towns I grew up in to the city. That, and they are always crying poverty and not buying new trains on lines with heavy ridership. It has to do with pension issues for NJT workers, IMHO. Whereas on LIRR, the trains are clean and seem to be new.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

jetblue1965

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:47 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 76):

I did it half a dozen times last year via Jamaica, there are no seedy characters. As a matter they have vendors selling beer by the train tracks. If it were unsafe, they wouldn't be selling alcohol.

The AirTrain JFK station outside the turnstiles is absolutely infested by the homeless, especially when passing through it at 5am trying to catch a 6:30am AA flight (which I did last weekend)

OzarkD9S

Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:15 pm

There should be a separate forum just for "Verses"

As in:

Airbus vs. Boeing
DCA vs. IAD vs. BWI
JFK vs. EWR vs. LGA
Union vs. Non-union
Old Livery vs. New Livery

etc....

Hey Mods, how about it?
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos