Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TFFIP
Topic Author

Qantas @LHR Future/plans?

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:33 am

Qantas has a recruitment drive for its FA base in London. There are about 10 interview days that I know of which seems like a large number of crew needed for only 2 flights a day LHR DXB LHR
Currently only 1 or 2 crew on a trip go all the way to Oz. Are they planning something else -- sending larger numbers of FAs on trips that include SYD/MEL - or what else?
Just curious...

Ty.

[Edited 2015-03-05 00:35:38]

ozglobal

RE: Qantas @LHR Future/plans?

Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:32 pm

Not sure what the plans are, but really hope they commit permanently to stay in LHR as Oz flag carrier. I would really like to see them return to CDG and FRA maybe on A350s and stop being just a 'virtual' carrier in continental Europe.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

undertheradar

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:57 pm

Quoting ozglobal (Reply 1):

Maybe (some)more Continental European airlines could also stop being 'virtual' airlines in OZ too!!   If you expect it one way, you should equally expect it the other way....ie Air France, Lufthansa etc etc etc
The reality is that ,same aircraft, 2segment flights (OZ via X to get to LHR/EUROPE) are very costly routes for any airline to fly...it takes approx 3 aircraft to provide ONE same plane daily service from OZ to LHR...thats a huge investment/cost for just ONE destination...and it must be prifitable at the same time.

TN486

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:07 pm

I don't think any of us can answer your questions right now as QF are in a very positive state of flux - possible expansion, possible 789's etc etc.They are in a very "good place" right now, so............watch this space!!..........It's going to be one hell of a ride. cheers.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

ozglobal

Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:19 am

Quoting undertheradar (Reply 2):

Quoting ozglobal (Reply 1):

Maybe (some)more Continental European airlines could also stop being 'virtual' airlines in OZ too!!   If you expect it one way, you should equally expect it the other way....ie Air France, Lufthansa etc etc etc
The reality is that ,same aircraft, 2segment flights (OZ via X to get to LHR/EUROPE) are very costly routes for any airline to fly...it takes approx 3 aircraft to provide ONE same plane daily service from OZ to LHR...thats a huge investment/cost for just ONE destination...and it must be prifitable at the same time.

1/ As I'd hope you could guess from my tag, I'm from Oz.

2/ Two segment flights are a challenge, but they're a challenge QF has maintained for decades and which is a big part of its DNA and identity. That's why I hope they return...
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

undertheradar

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:18 am

Quoting ozglobal (Reply 4):

We are all (as Australians) sentimental when it come to QANTAS, and we all want them to fly to our 'doorstep'/port. (be it in OZ or OS)....QANTAS has done well to survive over 90yrs, and the only reason it has, its because it must/does continue to adapt to the 'environment' its business operates in...(much to the 'disgust' of some 'armchair' critics on many forums)... I don't dispute LHR is a 'DNA' route for QF..the two nations have a long history. And NYC is a great marketing tool for exposure of the QANTAS brand on east coast USA...so it's worth the cost to do so.
Over the past few months/year or 2, QF has undertaken a huge transformation (which had to happen for it to survive..regardless of all the 'sky is falling' mob) QF can't be everything to everyone.....Let's not forget that QF is based in a country of only 23million people, with a very high cost of living, and an 'end of line' carrier...Australia is fast becoming a nation 'living beyond its means'....and this in turn affects ALL businesses/services based in OZ