Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

idlewildchild

DL MD-88 Off Runway At LGA

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:23 pm

Quoting fotoflyer71 (Reply 139):
Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 122):
Brian Williams will verify this for us. I heard he was on both flights.

Haha   

And Bill O'Reilly can report how he was an eye witness, battling the weather elements to help people to safety while combating back the bad people!

psa188

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:41 pm

There is a good article on this incident on yahoo finance. It contains good words about the controllers: "Compared with the way most people in most roles handle the unexpected, air-traffic controllers are amazingly steady—as are the flight crews too. Since most things about modern airline travel are unpleasant for most of the traveling public in most circumstances, it's worth being reminded of how these professionals do their work."
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/air-tr...rollers-sound-close-192700381.html

A332DTW

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:48 pm

Quoting psa188 (Reply 202):
"Compared with the way most people in most roles handle the unexpected, air-traffic controllers are amazingly steady—as are the flight crews too

Absolutely. Also the crash-rescue responders. It's amazing how quickly they respond every time, usually within seconds. They were the eyes and ears for the controllers today with visibility and wx being what it was. Those evacuating passengers were walking out into a hazardous environment and those responders where there providing a guiding hand and medical attention.

[Edited 2015-03-05 14:49:35]

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Quoting IDLEWILDCHILD (Reply 201):
Quoting fotoflyer71 (Reply 139):
Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 122):
Brian Williams will verify this for us. I heard he was on both flights.

Haha   

And Bill O'Reilly can report how he was an eye witness, battling the weather elements to help people to safety while combating back the bad people!

Ok, now that we got the requisite left- and right-wing references out of the way.....

Quoting 727forever (Reply 200):
One must be very careful not to come above 1.1 EPR until the nosewheel is on the ground and both engines have accelerated above idle before going deep into reverse otherwise pulling to one side is

It'll be interesting to see what the ultimate cause(s) are of this event, both primary and secondary.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

catiii

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:12 pm

The Wolf Blizter, David Soucie, Miles O'Brien threesome on CNN right now is making me want to put a bowling ball tbrough my TV.

"Is this 27 year old airplane, an MD88, worthy of flying in these conditions?" - Wolf Blitzer to Deb Hersman

YYZAMS

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:14 pm

Quoting capri (Reply 193):

Wow they things going back quick. Only a 5 hour delay on that flight. Delta Air Lines Flight 1875

capri

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:16 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 205):
"Is this 27 year old airplane, an MD88, worthy of flying in these conditions?" - Wolf Blitzer to Deb Hersman

That's why news media hire them other than others, because they are good at dramatizing and that's what makes money unfortunately, but O'brien is ok, I never saw him going off board into too much drama

American 767

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:26 pm

Thread now archived.

Please click on this link to continue:

DL MD-80 Off Runway At LGA - Part 2 (by American 767 Mar 5 2015 in Civil Aviation)

Ben Soriano
Ben Soriano

spacecadet

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:28 pm

Quoting capri (Reply 207):
O'brien is ok

*Conan* O'brien is a better newsman than any of these CNN idiots.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

ltbewr

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:30 pm

One has to wonder too about the pressure on the pilots to land rather than do a go-around.
I would note that the condition of the landing surface, wind speeds, wind directions can all change quickly, more than can be communicated to approaching and landing pilots.
Fortunately, some things went bad here, but only a few had injuries requiring hospital treatment. PA rescue services were very quick to get to this plane and apparently the F/A's did their job right.
Others have noted the number of areas to be involved in the of investigation, one I would add is the speed of the a/c upon landing.

RickNRoll

Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:06 am

Quoting SonomaFlyer (Reply 125):
Although its amusing seeing folks prognosticating this baby is a write-off, we literally have no idea the extent of the damage. Some of the things we can see from pics can be easily replaced (don't forget how much work DL performs in-house and they have a good supply of parts).

I think they claim is not that it can't be repaired but just that it's not worth repairing.

[Edited 2015-03-05 19:08:18]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos