kaichinshih
Topic Author

AF Kicks Off "France Is In The Air" TV Campaign!

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:43 am

After a year of merely print advertisements
Air France has finally kicked off the TV campaign for "France Is in the Air"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ahlbWNZPk

IMO a really creative, different and eye-catching commercial
The music is nice...except for the lyrics
Yes...the lyrics is perhaps the only thing I dislike about the commercial

The "France Is in the Air" campaign has been going on for about a year now
Here are some of the print ads from the campaign:
http://thefoxisblack.com/blogimages//BETC-AF-9.jpg

uberflieger

RE: AF Kicks Off "France Is In The Air" TV Campaign!

Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:01 am

C'est vachement c o o l         

LHRFlyer

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:43 am

It's interesting that AF-KLM is moving towards clear brand differentiation between Air France and KLM with their unique characteristics accentuated. It's something IAG has done to some extent but AF-KLM is really taking it further.

VCEflyboy

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:28 am

The ad photos look like they were taken from a calendar hanging on the wall of a body shop. The only difference is their boobies are covered..

kl838

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:29 am

I love the commercial, its definitely different and really sells the French touch. They are finally taking full advantage of whatever France has to offer culturally. This could also be seen with the new cabins and it does give the airline a much more classy appearance as opposed to what used to be quite a drab experience.

Quoting LHRFlyer (Reply 2):
It's interesting that AF-KLM is moving towards clear brand differentiation between Air France and KLM with their unique characteristics accentuated. It's something IAG has done to some extent but AF-KLM is really taking it further.

That is the best thing to do, KLM has been the fun and quintessentially Dutch brand with the use of everything Dutch on board, from designs to products etc. Yet the core hardware of the group is pretty much standard, with now KL implementing similar Business seats as AF on their 789. The more the group consolidates its operations while creating strong visual brands that create a value for the customer will definitely help bring them to profitability.

usdcaguy

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:57 pm

The commercial is interesting, but it doesn't really tell me what is unique about the AF product besides what their business class seat looks like. A bunch of people on swings is captivating, but I have no idea what that will mean when I step onboard an AF aircraft, most of which do not have two rows of windows. The problem with airline commercials these days is that they tell you almost nothing about the real experience of flying on them and rely on images that convey some sort of emotion that might mean something to some people. That said, I do like the AF product, but I would like to see more airline in their adverts.

Alitalia744

Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:49 pm

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 5):

The commercial is interesting, but it doesn't really tell me what is unique about the AF product besides what their business class seat looks like. A bunch of people on swings is captivating, but I have no idea what that will mean when I step onboard an AF aircraft, most of which do not have two rows of windows. The problem with airline commercials these days is that they tell you almost nothing about the real experience of flying on them and rely on images that convey some sort of emotion that might mean something to some people. That said, I do like the AF product, but I would like to see more airline in their adverts.

That's the strategic intent. To celebrate the art of French living and to present Air France as an ambassador and carrier of that art. It was not to highlight product features in a hard-sell way.

Different. Beautifully shot and executed. A refreshing change for airline TVCs and marketing which typically focus on hard/soft product, breadth of destination, efficiency of service and travel, and amenities.

They are there implicitly, through the gastronomy, the depiction of La Premiere as a lounge in the sky, the attitude, etc.

Well done.

The only thing I find odd is the way in which the kiss at the end was executed, as if forced.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

goldorak

Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:59 pm

Very nice. I love it  

DDR

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:04 pm

The San Francisco picture looks like it is from the 60's. The hippie movement is long gone. But I LOVE the Paris poster. Tres chic! Congrats to AirFrance.

LawnDart

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:24 pm

meh...

I like this one better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6bGnSEwdKY

AFCDGPTP

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:14 am

Sensual, sophisticated and delicate

nicholasjet

Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:28 am

zoulastar

Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:05 pm

I love it! I think it's elegant, original and unique for an airline commercial. It shows what France has best!     

EI320

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:22 pm

Top marks for creativity and execution, but as an airline commercial I don't find it particularly effective. I feel as indifferent about AF as I did prior to watching it.

An example of a truly great commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_wxDuN3WNA

This commercial invokes a strong desire to fly with SIA as the experience is portrayed as a truly special and unique one.

The AF commercial leaves you questioning what actually lies behind the glamour of the clip.

[Edited 2015-03-08 10:45:16]

TYCOON

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:36 pm

I love it!! And all the subtle and not so subtle references to French culture: the Tour de France and the yellow (and poke-a-dot) jerseys, France as world capital of fashion, French gardens, pastries (macarons) and Degas-like Young ballerinas... All in a 45 second clip. Really excellent, I think it is much more creative and cutting edge than other airline commercials we see now a days (sorry EI320, that Singapore one was boring as hell).
I also like the couple on the swings meeting up at the end: the man dressed in a typical Breton sweater than mimics the blue and white bar-code of AF's tails joining up with a woman dressed all in red... that completes the barcode... Bleu, blanc, rouge.

flyingcat

Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:55 am

"France is in the air", not a particularly smart headline in the US.

Curiousflyer

Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:46 am

I think it is very efficient and catchy. It gives a great image of the firm, really well done!

PM

Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:53 am

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 5):
it doesn't really tell me what is unique about the AF product

Quoting LawnDart (Reply 9):
meh...

Quoting EI320 (Reply 13):
as an airline commercial I don't find it particularly effective

Quoting AFCDGPTP (Reply 10):
Sensual, sophisticated and delicate

Silly, shallow and vacuous.

varig md-11

Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:09 pm

Quoting PM (Reply 17):
Silly, shallow and vacuous.

That's odd.
My father is technically born in Germany because some of your countrymates found French style as shown in this video as light, interesting, desirable and fresh.
Ach Paris....I guess times are changing
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TX PY

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos