chrisp390
Topic Author

Could EK Launch An Express Delivery Service?

Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:40 am

With all the recent rumours of EK making massive new orders I can imagine they will have a solid presence in every corner of the world when it is all said and done. That got me thinking could they start a service similar to Fedex and UPS offering door to door express shipment services. They will have a lot of cargo space in all their flights plus will cover the world much better than even FX does with their own metal I can imagine. Maybe we could even see the A380F NEO launched by Emirates. What do you think?

LAX772LR

Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:43 am

Deceptive title, even with the question mark.

That, and one can't expect to directly compete with FX/5X/etc using just a standard pax fleet.... no matter how big it is.

Sure they've got a lot of aircraft, but they really wouldn't be doing anything differently than most other network carriers. They'd need a dedicated fleet, and that flight would probably have to have hub timings quite different/independent of their pax fleet.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

sandyb123

Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:55 am

EK has a strong cargo distribution network through pax flights and EK Skycargo, but I don't see them setting up a branded competitive delivery business. What's in the hold is put there by other shippers  

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

chrisp390
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:05 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 1):

I appologize for the title if you believe it is deceptive. What change would you suggest?

It just seems with their aerospace ambitions it would be on the list and they have the infrastructure and resources it seems to be able to launch such a venture.

petertenthije

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:35 am

Quoting chrisp390 (Reply 3):
What change would you suggest?

Something like "Could EK launch express delivery service".

As for the answer: anyone can do so, Emirates included. But they would be stupid to do so. They are far better of offering their cargo space to forwarders and express delivery companies.

Remember that for the likes of DHL, UPS, TNT and FedEx the aviation operation, while very important, is a small bit of their business. By far most of their network is ground based.

[Edited 2015-03-06 00:37:15]
Attamottamotta!

chrisp390
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:55 am

Quoting petertenthije (Reply 4):

I see, thank you for the information. The ground bit seems like it could be an issue. What is the difference between flying cargo in the hold of a pax aircraft then vs dedicated freighter ops? Other than large cargo that wouldn't fit in a pax aircraft, why would they need dedicated freighters instead of just using hold space?

bill142

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:53 am

Quoting chrisp390 (Reply 5):
I see, thank you for the information. The ground bit seems like it could be an issue. What is the difference between flying cargo in the hold of a pax aircraft then vs dedicated freighter ops? Other than large cargo that wouldn't fit in a pax aircraft, why would they need dedicated freighters instead of just using hold space?

It's not all oversize cargo that goes on the dedicated freighters. There's plenty of small boxes.

LAX772LR

Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:55 am

Something like "Could EK launch express delivery service".

Quoting bill142 (Reply 6):
It's not all oversize cargo that goes on the dedicated freighters. There's plenty of small boxes.

But the inverse is also true, and far more effective on the industry:
You can ship everything from livestock to full-sized cars in a large twinjet's belly nowadays; there's really not all that much which requires a dedicated freighter anymore.

The few things that do, aren't in sufficient quantity to justify a dedicated freighter operation for most airlines.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

PanHAM

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:34 pm

That would be a most stupid Thing to do because it would alienate the freight forwarders world wide.

No Airline gets their bellies or main deck capacities sold without freight forwarders Setting up a competition would mean flying a lot of hot air through the world. Freight forwarers would simply bocott hem and Airlines like LH, AFKL would have a field day.

PS - do not confuse FX and UPS as freight airlines, they are Integrators.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

lightsaber

Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:39 am

As for the answer: anyone can do so, Emirates included. But they would be stupid to do so. They are far better of offering their cargo space to forwarders and express delivery companies.

I concur. EK/Dubai does *not* have the bilaterals to set up the truck fleets required to feed an express company.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 8):
No Airline gets their bellies or main deck capacities sold without freight forwarders Setting up a competition would mean flying a lot of hot air through the world. Freight forwarers would simply bocott hem and Airlines like LH, AFKL would have a field day.

PS - do not confuse FX and UPS as freight airlines, they are Integrators.

EK is no where ready to take on their freight supply chain.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 7):
You can ship everything from livestock to full-sized cars in a large twinjet's belly nowadays; there's really not all that much which requires a dedicated freighter anymore.

Agreed, but EK mostly flies to and from DXB. They would need other hubs to be an express delivery service. This is not the time to set up such an operation. Better to 'build from strength,' which means better relations with freight forwarders. One day they might become like travel agents, but not yet and it might never happen.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

mayor

RE: Could EK Launch An Express Delivery Service?

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:18 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 9):
Agreed, but EK mostly flies to and from DXB. They would need other hubs to be an express delivery service. This is not the time to set up such an operation. Better to 'build from strength,' which means better relations with freight forwarders. One day they might become like travel agents, but not yet and it might never happen.

Even if they flew to every other major city or hub, that still leaves alot of medium to small cities out of a freight network. All those packages that UPS and FedEx handle don't just go to ATL, MSP, LAX, etc., they go all over the country. The same is true in most every other country that they operate in.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

PanHAM

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:49 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 10):

Even if they flew to every other major city or hub, that still leaves alot of medium to small cities out of a freight network. All those packages that UPS and FedEx handle don't just go to ATL, MSP, LAX, etc., they go all over the country. The same is true in most every other country that they operate in.

we are talkin about international freight, not domestic. Cities not served direct can be served by road Feeder Service (trucks) hauling the cargo to the Gateways.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

mpdpilot

Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:00 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 7):
But the inverse is also true, and far more effective on the industry:

This is very true. The big reason for the use of large dedicated freighters is not for the size of individual cargo, but the volume in a single flight. Look at FX and UPS they use large freighters to most of their destinations due to the fact that they need to carry that many small boxes.

For EK to make freight of this kind work, they wouldn't be able to carry their current cargo and the increased volume of carrying a lot of small packages.

Now I don't know exactly how EK works, but if it works like most airlines, you could show up at the ticket counter/Freight desk and ship a small package with them to one of their destinations. The problem being, it would cost a lot more than the fastest shipping option with FX or UPS. Once again due to volume. EK doesn't have a lot of volume to each city, looking at their further cities from DXB (LAX, SFO) even less.

Freight doesn't care if it has to make a connection. And while there are a lot of urgent packages shipped across the globe most don't matter if they get there in 1.75 days verse 1.5 days.
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

B777LRF

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:09 am

EK may have the aircraft, but they don't have the network and neither do they what is by far the biggest component in any integrator: The ground operation. This include both the huge sorting centres (e.g. FedEx in MEM or DHL in LEJ), the 10s of thousands of ground vehicles used for the distribution, the customs brokerage (DHL is, by some margin, the biggest customs broker in the world), the sales teams and the thousands of customer service agents.

Quoting chrisp390 (Thread starter):
plus will cover the world much better than even FX does with their own metal I can imagine.

FX's global coverage, while better than UPS, pales into insignificance compared to that of DHL. You can, as a matter of fact, purchase a DHL product in more countries than you can buy a Coca-Cola. TK has a better global coverage than EK, which makes me wonder why you didn't bring that name forward.

The answer to your question, however, is a resounding 'NO' - regardless of which airline you might think of.
Signature. You just read one.

PanHAM

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:32 am

Quoting mpdpilot (Reply 12):
Now I don't know exactly how EK works, but if it works like most airlines, you could show up at the ticket counter/Freight desk and ship a small package with them to one of their destinations. The problem being, it would cost a lot more than the fastest shipping option with FX or UPS. Once again due to volume. EK doesn't have a lot of volume to each city, looking at their further cities from DXB (LAX, SFO) even less.

Again, here i a mix-up between an Integrator and a combination carrier resp. a belly carrier.
EK is, like most Airlines, not intersted in the private customer Business. especially not in today's world. Most carriers even send People who want to ship their excess luggage to a freight forwarder to handelt the documentation. There are forwarders who specalize in such Business, however most do that as a side-kick and it is cash on the table and for security reasons no confirmed flight.

Commercial customers use the Services of freight forwarders for direct or consolidated shipments,., time sensitive or regular freight.

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 13):
pales into insignificance compared to that of DHL. You can, as a matter of fact, purchase a DHL product in more countries than you can buy a Coca-Cola

If yu take the main pillars, which are mail, express (Integrator) and conventional freight forwardering combined. But in fact they work separately.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

cougar15

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:56 am

I dont know if this question is so out of place. Last year, QR was in talks to take take a 49% stake of TNT Airways. And looking at the belgian press back then... TNT seemed interested. if was only the Air Operations that were part of the deal, TNT´s ´crown jewles´ these days is their ground Network, whilst their Air Ops seem a bit of a mess.
If you then consider that TNT operate all of their 777´s as a Joint venture with EK and that TNT operates 744´s for EK Cargo, the idea makes sence. Add to that that TNT Courier material from anywhere east of Dubai mostly moves on EK Pax flights to DXB to connect to the JV T7´s, then this whole thread suddenly makes sence.
Such a move would be great for EK with high Revenue courier material filling their bellies, whilst TNT could do the european Distribution out of Liege with their fleet.
Given how Close These 2 work together already, such a deal could be a win win for both I would think........
some you lose, others you can´t win!

PanHAM

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:05 am

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 15):
Such a move would be great for EK with high Revenue courier material filling their bellies, whilst TNT could do the european

When TNT or any other smaller courier operater Tenders freight to EK or any other combination or belly carrier, they pay a premium airfreight rate like LH "TD Flash", but for the Airline it is not high priced courier material, it is premium airfreight.
The high priced courier rate includes pick up, handling customs clearanmce and delivery. That makes it high priced. An Integrator using the Services of Airlines for line haul keeps the most of what he charges to his customers.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

CALMSP

Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:38 pm

they most certainly could. I'm kinda surprised they have not. IAG Cargo is currently offering this type of service with their sprinter vans in the US markets.

BestWestern

Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:02 pm

The most difficult part of ground logistics is what is called 'the last mile'. This is make or break for logistics companies and why so many have failed in Asia where the last mile is really tough.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

mayor

Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:13 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 11):

we are talkin about international freight, not domestic. Cities not served direct can be served by road Feeder Service (trucks) hauling the cargo to the Gateways.

Are we?

That got me thinking could they start a service similar to Fedex and UPS offering door to door express shipment services.

Where does it say, specifically, "international"? Surely if they were to set up something like this, they would have to include the ENTIRE U.S. and even UPS and FedEx use air transport, within the U.S. at some point in the package's journey.

Quoting mpdpilot (Reply 12):

Now I don't know exactly how EK works, but if it works like most airlines, you could show up at the ticket counter/Freight desk and ship a small package with them to one of their destinations.
Quoting PanHAM (Reply 14):

Again, here i a mix-up between an Integrator and a combination carrier resp. a belly carrier.
EK is, like most Airlines, not intersted in the private customer Business. especially not in today's world. Most carriers even send People who want to ship their excess luggage to a freight forwarder to handelt the documentation.

Unless things have changed in the last ten years, you can't just walk up to the ticket counter or cargo office and ship something (with some exceptions). It has been that way since 9/11. That is in the U.S.

Kind of funny, but I can remember DHL, UPS & FX using our Delta DASH, small package service to get their packages to their final destination. I also remember, FX in particular, removing the DASH tape from the packages when they picked them up from us. Wouldn't want the customers to know exactly WHO did the work on this, would we?

[Edited 2015-03-08 09:16:16]
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

PanHAM

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:29 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 19):

Are we?

yes, EK is not doing cabotage in the US last I checked

Quoting mayor (Reply 19):
Unless things have changed in the last ten years, you can't just walk up to the ticket counter or cargo office and ship something (with some exceptions). It has been that way since 9/11. That is in the U.S.

[
you could not do that before 9/11 either. Some People you don't know mwalking into the Office tendering personal effects never got a booking, never were told a flight Number and there have been times when that cargo went into the pressure chamber for 24 hours before it was even touched and made ready for flight.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

mayor

Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:02 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 20):
you could not do that before 9/11 either. Some People you don't know mwalking into the Office tendering personal effects never got a booking, never were told a flight Number and there have been times when that cargo went into the pressure chamber for 24 hours before it was even touched and made ready for flight.

It was different in the U.S.........anyone could come in and ship, but their shipments were thoroughly inspected.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 20):
yes, EK is not doing cabotage in the US last I checked

I think we were talking about possible future plans, not what is currently done. If they were to set up a WORLDWIDE cargo operation, such as UPS and FX, all that would have to be worked out, I would think.

cornishsimon

Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:17 am

I assume that Ek do sell belly space to anyone who wants it once the SLF bags are loaded ?

So there's currently morning to stop FX using Ek to move a pallet of packets MAN-DXB on behalf of FX ?

cs

rwessel

Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:30 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 18):
The most difficult part of ground logistics is what is called 'the last mile'. This is make or break for logistics companies and why so many have failed in Asia where the last mile is really tough.

At least in the US, they could contract with the USPS, just like UPS and FedEx do for many deliveries. That reduces your problem to one of delivering to about 31K locations.

PanHAM

Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:56 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 21):
I think we were talking about possible future plans, not what is currently done. If they were to set up a WORLDWIDE cargo operation, such as UPS and FX, all that would have to be worked out, I would think.

It was said already that this would be a most stupid Thing to do since they would alienate their prime customers, the freight forwarders. FX and UPS and the express part of DHL are Integrators, a hybrid between Airlines and freight forwarder. Regular combination carriers and belly carriers do not retail, they wholesale to freight forwarders who are the retailers.
Walk up ustomrs are very rare BTW,, the normal freight customers are businesses who call their freight forewarder to handle and pick up shipments.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

mayor

Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:55 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 24):
Walk up ustomrs are very rare BTW,, the normal freight customers are businesses who call their freight forewarder to handle and pick up shipments.

They may be, now......post 9/11, but they weren't before. By weight, the freight forwarders may be leading the way, but at one time, there were as many off the street customers coming in as there were freight forwarders. I realize it's different now and it probably WAS different before in Europe, but not here. BTW, FX and UPS still maintain walk up locations around the country for just this sort of thing. Someone that walks in with a 10 box shipment certainly isn't going to pi** off the freight forwarders because that same customer didn't go to them. As as been said, that particular scenario isn't going to happen with the airlines now, just because of security regulations, in the U.S. The only way that EK could do it without scaring away customers would be to set up a separate, all inclusive, cargo operation.....much like FX and UPS.

PanHAM

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:05 pm

I worked in NY in the 70s and Airlines did not handle freight direct then and they did not in the decades after. Airlines are not set-up to do the freight forwarding Business. Cargo is 99,9% b2b and the 0,1% or less are pets and personell effects.

Again, UPS and FX are in a different field of Business, they are Integrators, not cargo airlines .
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

mayor

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:54 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 26):

Again, UPS and FX are in a different field of Business, they are Integrators, not cargo airlines .

With cargo a/c....?  
Quoting PanHAM (Reply 26):

I worked in NY in the 70s and Airlines did not handle freight direct then and they did not in the decades after. Airlines are not set-up to do the freight forwarding Business. Cargo is 99,9% b2b and the 0,1% or less are pets and personell effects.

I worked in cargo at ORD in the 70s and we certainly handled our own cargo AS WELL AS cargo from freight forwarders. Did you not have freight picked up by ACI (Air Cargo Inc) when you worked at NY? That was (and, I assume, still is) an organization put together by the airlines to do their freight moving (trucking, pickups, deliverys, etc.). Depending on who you worked for, maybe you didn't get involved with them.

PanHAM

Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:04 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 27):
With cargo a/c....?

There are:

combination carriers (with main deck aircraft and belly capacity
cargo Airlines, operating cargo aircraft only, like Cargolux for instance
belly carriers, operating passenger aircraft only
and there are Integrators operating cargo aircraft but using passenger Airlines for destinations they do not serve with their own metal for various practical reasons.

We picked up or freight in the City with our own trucks and with triúcking Services which there were and still are many around JFK. We used our own truck delivering freight from our warehouse to the Airlines across Rockaway Blvd as well. Or to Container packing stations.
Jersey customers pick up was farmed out and pick up across the USA was by whoever served the regions.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

mayor

Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:38 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 28):
We picked up or freight in the City with our own trucks and with triúcking Services which there were and still are many around JFK. We used our own truck delivering freight from our warehouse to the Airlines across Rockaway Blvd as well. Or to Container packing stations.
Jersey customers pick up was farmed out and pick up across the USA was by whoever served the regions.

Same thing at ORD, using ACI, in some part. Don't get me wrong, the Freight Forwarders tendered much more cargo to us than the ACI truckers did. ACI just acted as an agent for the airlines. They also did the pickup and delivery for our DASH service, if the shipper should so desire to have that done.

PanHAM

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:07 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 29):

Same thing at ORD, using ACI, in some part. Don't get me wrong, the Freight Forwarders tendered much more cargo to us than the ACI truckers did. ACI just acted as an agent for the airlines. They also did the pickup and delivery for our DASH service, if the shipper should so desire to have that done.

are you talking about domestic? I talk about international freight. When I order a Trucker to pick up cargo than it is solely a pick up of freight. The Trucker dos nothing else, the freight forwarder is the architect of shipping, he has the customer relation, he has the Little helpers, like Truckers, he dos he customs Export and Import declarations and if the customers at both Ends want it, he does arrange the delivery as well.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

mayor

Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:01 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 30):

are you talking about domestic? I talk about international freight. When I order a Trucker to pick up cargo than it is solely a pick up of freight. The Trucker dos nothing else, the freight forwarder is the architect of shipping, he has the customer relation, he has the Little helpers, like Truckers, he dos he customs Export and Import declarations and if the customers at both Ends want it, he does arrange the delivery as well.

I'm talking about both. I would imagine that if EK wanted to set up a system such as this, they would have to deal with both.......international AND domestic (although not sure how much it would be needed at their homebase). When we used ACI, they worked with us to do much of what the forwarders do, as well. They do the pickup, inspection, paperwork (although in some cases we would do all the paperwork) and we'd do the processing......labelling, loading, etc. That goes for domestic OR international. Basically, the forwarder is doing much the same thing as a pickup agent is, until he gets to the airline and then it's just the same.

ER757

Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:31 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 27):
Did you not have freight picked up by ACI (Air Cargo Inc)

Wow - you are bringing back memories for me when I was a night ops manager at a forwarder back in the mid to late 80's. I believe that ACI is no more, however. I could be wrong about that, if someone knows better feel free to correct me.

As to the OP's question - could they? - Sure. Would they? Heck no - they don't fly to nearly enough places to be efficient and they have no ground network at all.

mayor

Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:39 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 32):
As to the OP's question - could they? - Sure. Would they? Heck no - they don't fly to nearly enough places to be efficient and they have no ground network at all.

Thanks......that's what I was alluding to.......in addition to not having a network, air or ground, like UPS or FX, they don't have the network that many airlines do.

As for ACI, I couldn't tell you. I retired in '05 at DL Cargo.

CALMSP

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:53 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 32):

you don't need an extensive ground network to do this type of operation. IAG is currently doing it in certain US markets already with their IAG Connector. EK or any airline could offer this type of to-door service.

mayor

Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:35 pm

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 34):

you don't need an extensive ground network to do this type of operation. IAG is currently doing it in certain US markets already with their IAG Connector. EK or any airline could offer this type of to-door service.

Who are they using for their ground delivery and pickup operation? It would have to be pretty extensive to compete with UPS, FX or even the USPS. Even when the U.S. airlines were using ACI to make their deliveries and pickups of the airlines' small package service, even that was relatively limited, network wise, compared to UPS, FX & USPS.

CALMSP

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:20 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 35):

not sure who they are using, but they continue to expand after starting I believe 2 years ago in 1-2 US markets and are now in the majority of their major cargo markets.

mayor

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:17 am

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 36):
not sure who they are using, but they continue to expand after starting I believe 2 years ago in 1-2 US markets and are now in the majority of their major cargo markets.

Different situation......according to what I'm reading about IAG's Connector service, it's mostly a service for smaller freight forwarders, nearby the major airports it operates in. I doubt if a operation like that would expand to small town america, which is what we're talking about with UPS, FX & USPS.

PanHAM

Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:28 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 37):
Different situation......according to what I'm reading about IAG's Connector service, it's mostly a service for smaller freight forwarders, nearby the major airports it operates in. I doubt if a operation like that would expand to small town america, which is what we're talking about with UPS, FX & USPS.

The key word is "line haul", that is what airlines provide to (and here we are again) freight forwarders who use an Airline line haul to build their express Services based on that line haul. The carrier does not have to worry who picks it up or makes the delivery. Each Partner does what he can do best and for the Airlines it is the line haul, from receiving expprt customs cleared goods to delivering uncleared goods at the other end.

Airlines do not and should not compete with freight forwarders, who are their customers.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

747megatop

Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:34 am

With all the recent rumours of EK making massive new orders I can imagine they will have a solid presence in every corner of the world when it is all said and done. That got me thinking could they start a service similar to Fedex and UPS offering door to door express shipment services. They will have a lot of cargo space in all their flights plus will cover the world much better than even FX does with their own metal I can imagine. Maybe we could even see the A380F NEO launched by Emirates. What do you think

Just having the cargo space in the plane bellies isn't enough. To go with it they need to setup the huge logistics required from scratch - the mega sorting hub like FX's center at MEM; on the ground delivery logistics etc.; basically they will have to mirror what UPS or FX have. Otherwise just about any large carrier with a significant international presence like LH or BA would do it.

PanHAM

Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:49 am

Quoting 747megatop (Reply 39):
Otherwise just about any large carrier with a significant international presence like LH or BA would do it.

at LH for instance the product is called TD Flash wihich hasa late cut-off time and early delivery time (90 to 120 minutes Prior to departure/scheduled Arrival time) The infrastructure except the line haul is provided by thousands of freight forwarders around the world.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

CALMSP

Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:06 pm

Not necessarily. Its still a concept of moving small shipments beyond the airlines warehouse or freight forwarders facility.

mayor

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 40):
at LH for instance the product is called TD Flash wihich hasa late cut-off time and early delivery time (90 to 120 minutes Prior to departure/scheduled Arrival time) The infrastructure except the line haul is provided by thousands of freight forwarders around the world.
Quoting CALMSP (Reply 41):

Not necessarily. Its still a concept of moving small shipments beyond the airlines warehouse or freight forwarders facility.

There's the difference.......the airlines are able to do it because of all the freight forwarders, basically doing much of the ground operation......if we're talking about a network like UPS, FX and even the USPS (and I thought we were), they're doing it all, themselves. If we're not talking about the same thing, then, of course, it will be just like almost any airline's freight services, anywhere in the world.

PanHAM

Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:25 pm

.....even FX and UPS have agents in some countries that do the deliveries, pick-ups and handling on their behalves. Not even the line haul is done exclusively by UPS and FX material, they use scheduled carriers line haul as well.

Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos