Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nitepilot79
Topic Author

CX Pax Sits In Jump Seat For Entire Flight

Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:16 pm

The plane was completely booked, so one of the jump seats was Ada Ng's for the entire trip from Taipei to Hong Kong.

http://www.yahoo.com/travel/internet...osts-photos-from-113169074757.html

mmo

RE: CX Pax Sits In Jump Seat For Entire Flight

Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:31 pm

So, what's the problem????

Stitch

Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Quoting mmo (Reply 1):
So, what's the problem?

Indeed. I am assuming she is a CX employee or family member of a CX employee and the article states:

"Cathay Pacific permits approved persons under the Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department guidelines to apply for the use of the Jump Seat," said a representative for the airline. "Eligible applicants include Cathay Pacific employees and their immediate family members."

DALCE

Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:39 pm

happens everyday on all continents. Nothing special. She's probably staff, or closely related to staff.
Every airline has it's own policy on this.

cedarjet

Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:40 pm

I don't see the problem. Lots of countries allow jumpseaters. Since 9/11 I have ridden in the jumpseat as a totally unaffiliated passenger (e.g. not staff or family or friends) on Thomas Cook Scandinavia, Iran Air, MEA of Lebanon, African Express of Somalia, Malev, African Safari of Kenya, Wideroe (Norway), Biman Bangladesh etc etc. KLM allow it too (on the last MD-11 from YUL to AMS the cockpit should have had a revolving door).

Shame that Yahoo should make a story out of nothing to make Cathay Pacific, one of the world's safest airlines, look bad when they were helping someone get home on time.

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:44 pm

Quoting mmo (Reply 1):

Don't shoot the messenger, the article mostly spins it as a problem, not me. Although she would be a bit of a distraction   

offloaded

Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:03 pm

I hate articles like this. I was lucky enough to sit in the jump seat nearly 30 years ago on British Midland and it saddens me that with the way things are my kids nowadays would be lucky to get a glimpse of the cockpit whilst still on the ground.

zeke

Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:08 pm

Quoting nitepilot79 (Thread starter):

Cabin crew coming back to HKG from seeing the family in TPE on days off.

hongkongflyer

Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:26 pm

She is a crew holding ID ticket.

The issue was that she took photos when the plane was taxing/ takeoff and landing, which was a violation of the regulations.

xiaotung

Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:28 pm

She was a regular on a famous dating show in Mainland China called "If You Are The One." She said on the show that she was a Cathay flight attendant.

She would have a lot of followers on social media. You wonder why this has made the news as more people are probably forwarding her posts than a regular person.

[Edited 2015-03-10 08:32:12]

B-HOP

Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:49 pm

It is not kid, she could well be a mum at that age. It is just a snap on the face to offering last minute SOS help. If rules are difficult to follow maybe the privilege should be withdrawn just so no rules would then needed to be followed, she just used the photos to increase the weibo following

Mir

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Just for the fun of it, I started reading the comments on the article. Most of them questioned whether the internet was really as outraged as the article claimed, and there was no actual outrage.

Well done, internet commenters. You're often hideous examples of a lack of any sort of humanity, but in this case...kudos.

Quoting dalce (Reply 3):
happens everyday on all continents.

Except North America, unfortunately.

-Mir

bmacleod

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:39 pm

Quoting mmo (Reply 1):

Not sure about Asian airlines policies, but in Canada and US and likely most of Europe, cockpits are off limits to passengers during flight. Main reason being security concerns of course....fallout from 9/11...

Sometimes if schedules permit flight attendants will allow a quick peek into the cockpit after landing, but that's it....

[Edited 2015-03-10 09:42:38]

32andBelow

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:44 pm

The jumpseat is safer than any passenger seat!

pliersinsight

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:45 pm

Quoting offloaded (Reply 6):

I hate articles like this. I was lucky enough to sit in the jump seat nearly 30 years ago on British Midland and it saddens me that with the way things are my kids nowadays would be lucky to get a glimpse of the cockpit whilst still on the ground.

I have flown commercially on six flights with my 6 year old daughter and 7 year old son. My daughter has an interest after she saw national news video of jet tankers dropping water/retardant in California and had LOTS of questions for me. (I only hold a Private certificate) She said she wanted to fly that jet because she would get to drop bombs that help people, which is pretty deep for a six year old. Anyway, on every flight they have been on, I would casually ask if when on the ground the kids could visit the cockpit. Every time I received a terse "NO". Well one time there was a "let me check with them" and then a terse "no" came. I don't even bother asking anymore. This is a shame because the visit, in flight, to the flight deck of a UsAir 727 as a kid was what got me hooked enough to get a private certificate.

I disagree with any security arguments, that is just letting the terrorists win. My kids aren't the type to act up, but I suppose I could see that that is not the norm and the airline doesn't want the responsibility/lability of letting parents with kids on the flight deck. Perhaps a bygone era is really bygone.

The last time I flew alone I was on a people mover at the airport with other travelers and I observed a Delta captain chatting up a kid maybe 7 years old who gave the kid a set of Delta wings. He also invited the boy and his parents to visit the cockpit after landing in Atlanta when it was determined he was flying the flight the family was traveling on. I made a note in my phone of his name from his visible security badge and wrote a letter to Delta about how amazing that was and the captain should be commended for getting a kid interested in flight. You just don't see old school cool like that anymore.

futureualpilot

Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:06 pm

Quoting pliersinsight (Reply 14):

I'm sorry you've recieved an unwelcome responses, as a pilot myself we love having visitors up front if we have the time. Those times we say no we are likely preoccupied with something pertaining to the flight and unfortunately don't have the time to spare to properly interact with you, our customers. Keep trying, especially on RJs where the boarding door and flight deck tend to be in closer proximity. I've heard many FAs deny people when they ask only to turn around and welcome them up front. it usually is a pleasure to have people up front and show off our office and answer questions. Unfortunately wings are difficult to come by anymore but occasionally we might have them to hand out as well.

BravoOne

Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:09 pm

I think the problem for one is that CX has a no photography policy from the flight deck.

paneuropean

Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:19 pm

I sat in a jump seat AMS- GIG two years ago. It was better than economy

chrisnh

Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:25 pm

Idiotic media: Story referred to the airline as 'Cathy Pacific.' Can't they do anything right when it comes to aviation?

MaverickTTT

Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:50 pm

My wife was recently asked if she would be willing to take the flight attendant jumpseat on a fully-booked KL flight to AMS while traveling on a ZED. She reiterated with the agent that she was not staff, but the spouse of an OAL employee (and flying without me). The agent told her that it was no problem as long as the captain approved. That seat wound up going to another OAL passrider (my wife didn't make the flight).

andz

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:34 pm

Back in the days before 9/11 I used to ride cockpit jumpseat all the time (my wife works in flight ops) but since then I have only had one jump seat, quite recently right at the back of the plane, folding out from the wall against the rear lav. I can't remember if it was a 320 or a 738 (not that geeky I'm afraid). It was quite cool sitting right in the middle and looking up the whole length of the aisle during take off and landing but it's a very uncomfortable seat, I had backache before we took off!

A320ajm

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:58 pm

A month after 9/11, when I was only 10, I flew on a Spanair flight from NCL-LPA (think it was an A320). The fight was very empty, maybe a combination of being so close to 9/11 and out of season. My mam, knowing my love for planes, asked the cabin crew if I could visit the flight deck mid flight, and they checked with the Captain who agreed. I still remember how amazing it was now. The flight was a night time flight, and seeing the lights of the flight deck and the cities below mesmerised me. It's a real shame this wouldn't happen now.

A320ajm

mmo

Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:09 pm

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 12):
Not sure about Asian airlines policies, but in Canada and US and likely most of Europe, cockpits are off limits to passengers during flight. Main reason being security concerns of course....fallout from 9/11...

Sometimes if schedules permit flight attendants will allow a quick peek into the cockpit after landing, but that's it....

As I wrote earlier, "what's the problem." Luckily, in other parts of the world, the jumpseat policy has not been turned back 50 years. I will not get into the politics about the change in some countries regarding the jumpseat, but not every airline and regulatory body thinks the jumpseat/cockpit should be off limits to anyone but pilots. Other airline staff are just as trustworthy as us pilots and should be treated that way. And I did fly in the US, so I am very familiar with the jumpseat policy.

migair54

Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:45 pm

It is okay if it's in the cabin jump seat, crew reserved seat for rest, however it's totally ilegal if it's in the cockpit jump seat.

Cockpit seat can be used by passangers as long as they have an assigned seat in the passenger cabin. The cockpit seat are by no excuse allowed to increase the capacity of the plane.

Only staff on duty and authorise to fly in the cockpit and after a safety briefing can fly in the cockpit as an extracrew member.

I'm sure this is going to be a very serious case in CX, I'd not be surprise if they even got fired.

Revo1059

Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:26 pm

I was fortunate enough to ride up front a few times pre 9/11. Once on an a320 from MKE to ORD (route was MBJ-MKE-ORD) once from CUN-ORD (MD-88 with ONE rev passenger, the flight crew and me) and from ORD-ATL (another 88). Now there is a better chance of getting a spare kidney by just asking than riding jumpseat in the US.

skyhawkmatthew

Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:51 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 23):

It is okay if it's in the cabin jump seat, crew reserved seat for rest, however it's totally ilegal if it's in the cockpit jump seat.

Cockpit seat can be used by passangers as long as they have an assigned seat in the passenger cabin. The cockpit seat are by no excuse allowed to increase the capacity of the plane.

Only staff on duty and authorise to fly in the cockpit and after a safety briefing can fly in the cockpit as an extracrew member.

This is not true with the airlines I have experience with. As long as you have the appropriate security clearance, the jumpseat is available for use. It is a regular occurrence for airline staff on standby travel to spend an entire long-haul flight seated in the cockpit jump as it's the only seat left.

DTWPurserBoy

Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:24 pm

Depends on the country and the airline. In the US off-duty pilots, airline senior management and even air traffic controllers can fly on the cockpit jumpseat with prior clearance and the approval of the pilot in command. He or she can deny anyone the cockpit jumpseat.

This is yet another non-story.

mmo

Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:43 pm

I'm sure this is going to be a very serious case in CX, I'd not be surprise if they even got fired

It is TOTALLY LEGAL in HKG!!! Just because the option does not exist in your country, which in fact the jump seat is available, does not mean it is illegal throughout the world. No one will get fired or anything else. It's business as usual!!!!

JDFLYVC10

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:20 pm

I can remember those flights I have been LUCKY to sit in the jump seat!

Air NZ 747-200 in 1989
"Sorry Mate... but we've got the jump seat open for you if you'd like?"
LAX-HNL-AKL

KLM 747-300 in 1987
AMS-LAX

Martinair DC-10 in 1991
LAX-SEA-AMS

Martinair DC-10 in 1992
AMS-LAX

LOVED MY "PICTURE WINDOW" behind the captain on those DC-10 rides!

ozark1

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:49 pm

Just typical anti airline media hysteria over nothing.

pvjin

Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:38 pm

No problem here, anyone who feels "outraged" by this should sell his/her PC and never watch the news again. Also this "reporter" should consider finding another profession or at least taking some re-education courses, to me it seems like western journalism just gets worse every year.

TheRedBaron

Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:51 pm

Before 9/11 I used to fly a lot on the Jumpseat... Been there on a 707, 720, 727, 757 and my favorite Dc10 with its HUGGGEEE window....

Too bad Its so difficult now, Id pay first class to use the jumpseat!!
(check my signature)

TRB

Prost

Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:46 am

Ask me on my flights, and I'll put in a good word for your kids to get in the flight deck. If they're not starting their checklists or going over their flight plan, I've never had a pilot tell me 'no' when a child wants to see the flight deck.

And I work for big bad Delta, and we still like to show our next medallion members how much we like flying. Go figure.

CXfirst

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:08 am

Not true everywhere. Here in Australia flying with Virgin, we are allowed to have someone assigned to the cockpit jump seat (ie when rest of seats are taken), as long as they have the necessary security ID, work for the airline and the Captain approves.

-CXfirst

CX Flyboy

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:37 am

The problem is people with no real clue on how things work in the industry spouting loud opinions on what is and is not wrong. They have no idea that rules are different for every airline and in every country. That goes for people on this thread and all the idiotic comments on as seen attached to idiotic articles in so called reputable news outlets as well as the not-so-reputable.

What is illegal is one country is allowed and common practice in another. This really isn't newsworthy at all. Many airlines allow staff in the cockpit jumpseat, and many airlines allow photography and video shooting - hell, YouTube is full of videos from various flightdecks!

Confuscius

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:57 am

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 26):
He or she can deny anyone the cockpit jumpseat.

Especially for scabs...umm, strikebreakers.

Oshkosh1

Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:54 am

What's everyone getting their P3's(PrettyPinkPanties) in a wad over??? As mentioned above...different airlines, different countries...different rules. You trust the CAPTAIN of a multi million dollar aircraft with the lives of100's of people, but don't trust he can use his discresction in a case such as this? It's an isolated event which has been blown WAY out of proportion...let it go people. He's not Hannibal Lechter...

[Edited 2015-03-10 21:55:55]

cf6ppe

Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:04 am

About 20 years ago my wife and I were invited to do a Munich October Fest by a vendor to my employer. To make the trip look good, the vendor held a concurrent technical review meeting at their Munich headquarters.

My trip was of course covered by my company, but my wife traveled on an KLM ID75 or ID90 ticket. When my lovely lady got to AMS, she checked in for the MUC segment and a KLM agent told her to wait for a minute while the agent called someone to escort my wife to the departing aircraft. This special treatment was unexpected, but she was taken onto the B737 and introduced to the two folks that sit in the front row. Although surprised, my wife didn't miss a beat and the crew got her fastened into the jump seat. The crew told her not to talk while enroute, but if possible that they would answer questions during the flight.

To this day my wife tells folks about her jump seat ride over the Alps.

Needless to say, I was jealous..

BTW, October Fest was a lot of fun..

JetBuddy

Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:11 am

I dont' see the problem.. I've sat in the jumpseat for the entire flight many times. Even TATL from EWR to OSL.

AAR90

Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:22 am

Quoting pliersinsight (Reply 14):
You just don't see old school cool like that anymore.

Keep asking. The worst that can happen is what you've already experienced. Receiving a: "NO!" OTOH, ALL of my flights welcome passengers visiting the cockpit (oops: "Flight Deck" per the "new AA") when at the gate. The new AA is pretty up-tight about having all pax seated 10 minutes prior to departure, but I have never encountered a flight attendant on my flights that said "no" when asked. I suspect that may be due to the Captain "setting the tone" for the crew, but I really don't know what other Captain's do.

hz747300

Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:35 am

Quoting hongkongflyer (Reply 8):
The issue was that she took photos when the plane was taxing/ takeoff and landing, which was a violation of the regulations.

Exactly, whilst the media is making the scandal that she was in the seat; for Cathay the issue is that she was taking photos and posted them (since removed). The PPRUNE forums are discussing in this great detail, though they are not being as kind as y'all about her appearance.

Francoflier

Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:02 am

Quoting mmo (Reply 27):
No one will get fired or anything else.

The wannabe Internet sensation broke the rule by taking pictures and publishing them online. She might very well feel the heat if she is indeed a CX employee.

What a generation the Internet era has spawned... The need for self publicity and the overriding quest for recognition has overtaken any shred of common sense, dignity and humility in some people.

Well, at least she is now getting the attention she was craving.

jeffh747

Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:30 pm

That's sad you guys have had trouble seeing the cockpit. I don't know about your circumstances but I typically have been able to see the cockpit after landing. I mostly fly with AA, G4 and NK, and most of those pilots- if they're still on the plane by the time you reach the exit, will be more than happy to welcome you in, all you gotta do is ask. The only times I haven't been able to see the cockpit is if the plane is late and the pilots are in a rush to get out and leave the cockpit before I even get there.

Unflug

Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:48 pm

Quoting cf6ppe (Reply 37):
To this day my wife tells folks about her jump seat ride over the Alps.

Where else did she go - AMS-MUC won't be over the Alps  

Depending on weather she might have had a pretty good view of the Alps when landing in Munich, though.

ChazPilot

Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:24 pm

What an outrage - the reports claims she sat there for the "two hour flight".

Anyone familiar with that route knows that even with the worst ATC flow restrictions airtime on that flight never exceeds 90 minutes!

DTWPurserBoy

Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:49 pm

When I first started flying in '74 it was common if the cabin was full and you VERY politely asked the PIC for permission to ride the cockpit jumpseat he/she would usually do so. As flight attendants we have been trained on the use of the O2 masks, how to open and use the window escape ropes, how to slide the pilots seats back, remove an incapacitated pilot and the silence below 10,000 feet rule. I have always found it ironic that now we cannot ride up there at all, at least in the US even though we are probably the best trained in the rules.

I really enjoyed the comments on the DC-10 cockpit windows. They were HUGE!

I think the saddest thing is that when a captain was making his last flight he would bring along his wife and kids and his wife would ride the jumpseat. If he happened to have sons, daughters or in-laws that worked for the airline they would be assigned to work the trip along with him. It was a sign of our great respect for their position and an acknowledgment of a long and safe career. Those days are, unfortunately, also gone.

The comment about sca.....er.....persons who crossed a picket line really made me laugh. On the 727's if you opened the cabinet in the forward lav where extra TP and Kleenex were stored you would always see a sticker with their names on it. They were there for years.

Navigator

Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:55 pm

Quoting nitepilot79 (Thread starter):
The plane was completely booked, so one of the jump seats was Ada Ng's for the entire trip from Taipei to Hong Kong.

http://www.yahoo.com/travel/internet....html

This is no problem whatsoever. This is entirely up to the captain of the flight. Happens in most Airlines in Europe I know of.

b747400erf

Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:11 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 13):
The jumpseat is safer than any passenger seat!

And these days just as (un)comfortable

bjorn14

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:30 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 47):
And these days just as (un)comfortable

Amen to that! As a kid I rode more jumpseats on a DC-7 than I care to remember. I have no desire to jumpseat, well maybe for an hour in brand new glass cockpit.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos