SCQ83
Topic Author

CNN's Richard Quest Explores The Rebirth Of Iberia

Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:09 am

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/busine...spc-business-traveller-spain-a.cnn

Interesting video with Richard Quest in conversation with Willie Walsh and Luis Gallego about the future of Iberia.

LOWS

RE: CNN's Richard Quest Explores The Rebirth Of Iberia

Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:31 am

Interesting, but is Richard Quest always so, erm, exuberant?

ClassicLover

Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:11 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Thread starter):
http://edition.cnn.com/videos/busine...spc-business-traveller-spain-a.cnn

That was really interesting to see!

Looks like I might have to give a Business Class trip a go - that food looked great! I didn't mind the Business Class cabin either  
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

migair54

Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:19 pm

Very interesting. Nice video.

Iberia CEO said clearly that Asia and Africa are on the table for the future.

I think so far they're doing a good job in IB, maybe some insider could give us some impressions from inside IB as well.

Quoting LOWS (Reply 1):

He's a showman, it doesn't look like he's doing a serious interview for CNN but a documentary for food network.

777way

Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:43 pm

I like Quets style, some guy in BBC tries to copy him too.

LondonCity

Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:47 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 3):

But hasn't IB left it too late in developing Asia ? The Gulfies already have a foothold in the Spanish market.

SCQ83
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:53 pm

Quoting LondonCity (Reply 5):
But hasn't IB left it too late in developing Asia ? The Gulfies already have a foothold in the Spanish market.

I don't expect Iberia to open routes left and right in Asia, but one or two could be possible. I think of HKG (Oneworld to Oneworld with LATAM-Asia connections) to serve the growing trade & tourism between China and Spain; and NRT (another Oneworld hub; though with little connectivity) as a longer shot.

Navion

Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:56 pm

Quoting LOWS (Reply 1):

Yup, that's his schtik. He's always a little over-the-top and with that gravely voice, you can't mistake who's talking!

I liked the Iberia CEO's simple explanation of the new paint scheme for Iberia - "lean". Makes sense and is consistent with their turnaround efforts.

migair54

Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:00 pm

I think IB could make some routes work if the choose nicely, looking to transfer pax to SA and West Africa, given that IB and MAD will not be very attractive for European transit maybe it will be less affected than AF or LH.

For example PEK or PVG to most places in South America are shorter via MAD than via DXB. And ME3 don't serve many places in SA yet, plus trade between Spain and Asia is much bigger than years ago, so getting direct flights to Spain could attract good yields And tourism.

TonyBurr

Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:09 pm

Quoting LOWS (Reply 1):

In

Yes, that is the total Richard.

lukeyboy95

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:36 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 4):

You surely can't be referring to Aaron Heslehurst!? That man is his own man... a force! Less narcissistic too.
Breaking down the stereotypes - one by one

sierra3tango

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:19 pm

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 10):
Quoting 777way (Reply 4):

You surely can't be referring to Aaron Heslehurst!? That man is his own man... a force! Less narcissistic too.

Richard Quest went to CNN from the BBC!

notaxonrotax

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:27 pm

I like Richard....though he is a weird boyo!!

His "personal episode" in NY's Central Park (around midnight) was classic!

His knowledge on aviation is not bad, actually....better than the average journalist.

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

lesfalls

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:28 pm

Quoting sierra3tango (Reply 11):

Why did he quit BBC? Real interesting.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

directorguy

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:52 pm

Caught that on CNN yesterday, never knew you could put olive oil on ice cream lol.
The Spanish CEO said that Africa/Asia are key growth markets for IB...but then again, everyone says that. Their real strength, which Quest talked about, is their Latin American network. Quest mentioned about IB re-instating certain routes that had been cut due to the GFC but brought back when the economy turned around.

sierra3tango

Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:00 pm

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 13):
Quoting sierra3tango (Reply 11):

Why did he quit BBC? Real interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Quest

Who knows - money maybe

lesfalls

Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:13 pm

Great video. Unfortunately though doesn't show much of what they offer in economy class.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

Aisak

Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:35 pm

The Gulfies already have a foothold in the Spanish market

That's nothing to be afraid of. Iberia stopped flying several markets some years ago (HAV, MVD, SDQ, AMS...) and its place was mainly taken by Air Europa, with a lower cost base. That hasn't prevented IB to re-enter some of those markets when they were ready even if the market was already served.

Quoting migair54 (Reply 3):

I think most places in Africa within 5 hours from MAD could hit a try with the A319 configured for medium-haul. Anything longer could be started with the new A332, which should be cheaper to operate than the previous A343-A333.

Quoting migair54 (Reply 8):
For example PEK or PVG to most places in South America are shorter via MAD than via DXB.

Well, IB and IAG have a good partner in the region: QR. And a good place to start by leveraging on DOH connection opportunities.
The problem with China is that some years ago, when everyone in Spain was literally printing money, Air Comet and Air Europa already tried and left. Even though in the final days, they were allowed to cooperate on both PEK and PVG routes.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 6):
I think of HKG (Oneworld to Oneworld with LATAM-Asia connections) to serve the growing trade & tourism between China and Spain; and NRT (another Oneworld hub; though with little connectivity) as a longer shot.

HKG could be a good place to start with. The new A332s have a good premium product and the the economy class is quite decent. Cathay and JAL (even when the latter was not in OW) had some PAX transfer in AMS, as IB's MAD-AMS and BCN-AMS carried the CX and JL codes, so both are good places to launch an Asia route. But I feel connections could be better at HKG for all south-east Asia than NRT, which is way further and could mean some backtrack for most destinations.
How flight times can cope with MAD two longhaul banks is another story.

LatinPlane

Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:45 pm

Great report and kudos to Iberia. I really thought they wouldn't survive with how things were revolving just a few years ago.
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

Markam

Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:57 pm

Quoting directorguy (Reply 14):
The Spanish CEO said that Africa/Asia are key growth markets for IB...but then again, everyone says that. Their real strength, which Quest talked about, is their Latin American network.

While I agree with you, I think that MAD would also make a great IAG hub for flights to Africa. It has greater slot availability than LHR, and would allow for shorter travel times from most North and South American airports to African destinations compared to a stopover in LHR, and most importantly, the Gulf. This would provide IAG would a long-term growth strategy which is mostly immune to ME3 growth (Gulf hubs will never be competitive with MAD for North/South American connections to most African destinations, perhaps with the exception of parts of Eastern Africa), and which very likely benefit from increased South-South trade and business links.

Quoting aisak (Reply 17):
I think most places in Africa within 5 hours from MAD could hit a try with the A319 configured for medium-haul. Anything longer could be started with the new A332, which should be cheaper to operate than the previous A343-A333.

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 16):
Great video. Unfortunately though doesn't show much of what they offer in economy class.

Economy class has also improved very notably (PTVs in every seat with a good selection of content, decent legroom - which is not true of IB shorthaul product if you seat further back than row 10 or so-, and one of the best Y foods out there), and I would say say that it is now competitive with any other carrier out there. My main problem with IB now is the relative lack of connectivity through MAD, compared to BA through LHR or other large competitors. But this would be quite easy to address: if they grow their network in the US by a few destinations, expand in Africa, and serve a few more not-so-large markets in Europe from MAD, they will be a very solid option for many travelers.

thekorean

Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:59 pm

Quoting Markam (Reply 19):

'
Expand in East Asia to feed the growth of South American markets. Exploit areas where ME3 are weak.

9w748capt

Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:28 pm

Interesting to watch this today as my wife and I just flew back to the US on IB J yesterday. For the most part we were pleased - the seat is very comfortable. A bit narrow and foot room is restricted, but hey you can't argue with 180 lie-flat and all aisle-access. We had two "honeymoon seats" in the middle, so it was nice to be close to each other yet have plenty of space at the same time. While the seat was very comfortable, the cabin was a bit warm for our taste. And the IFE was just horrific. Selection wasn't great, and the TV, while it's a touch screen, was almost impossible to use. I've never used a more poorly functional system before. Nearly impossible to watch anything, so we ended up just reading and keeping the moving map on for our IFE.

The food and service were hit and miss. My wife is vegetarian so I'd preordered veg meals for her - since from what I found online, there may/may not be a veg first option (pasta), and most likely would not have anything for the pre-arrival snack. Her meals basically consisted of piles of lettuce and tomato times three. Pretty pathetic in my opinion. IB has enlisted michelin starred chefs and this is the best they could come up with? Do vegetarians not deserve good food? The actual catering was quite a bit better - I had the sea bass which was quite good, and definitely far better than the crAAp USdbaAA is serving in J these days. Service was overall good, but inconsistent - they missed us on bread runs a few times - and initially neglected to serve me dessert (a quick push of the call button fixed the issue). It is nice though that they had quite a nice selection of Spanish wines to try - we quite enjoyed that.

So it seems IB has certainly made strides and I'd even say overall their product is better than the new USdbaAA now, which is really saying something.

thekorean

Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:31 pm

I read all the horror stories about rude and lazy flight attendants.

I hope those were the vicims of the layoffs.

directorguy

Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:55 pm

Quoting Markam (Reply 19):
While I agree with you, I think that MAD would also make a great IAG hub for flights to Africa. It has greater slot availability than LHR, and would allow for shorter travel times from most North and South American airports to African destinations compared to a stopover in LHR, and most importantly, the Gulf. This would provide IAG would a long-term growth strategy which is mostly immune to ME3 growth (Gulf hubs will never be competitive with MAD for North/South American connections to most African destinations, perhaps with the exception of parts of Eastern Africa), and which very likely benefit from increased South-South trade and business links.

Problem is, MAD doesn't have the O&D demand that LHR on African routes. You can easily fill a 747/A380/777 from Lagos/Jo'burg/Cape Town/Cairo/Accra to London but not from MAD. But with some capacity and yield management, IB can take over traffic flows from say, Nigeria to the US, that used to go on BA, freeing up space on LHR-Nigeria flights for high yield O&D pax.
Plus, IB can serve places like Dakar, Bamako, Freetown with smaller planes at higher frequencies and provide connections not just long-haul, but within Europe.

thekorean

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:01 pm

Quoting directorguy (Reply 23):

True but they get feed from regional Iberia and Iberia Express flights plus Air Nostrum.

They can serve more African destinations with smaller planes.

Planeflyer

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:10 pm

Richard Quest is a breath of fresh air. Entertaining and informative. Always learn something w him. How many aviation stories are accurate? They r with him!

Good for IB! And good for BA! They took a gamble. Glad t c an roi!

Markam

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:36 pm

Problem is, MAD doesn't have the O&D demand that LHR on African routes. You can easily fill a 747/A380/777 from Lagos/Jo'burg/Cape Town/Cairo/Accra to London but not from MAD. But with some capacity and yield management, IB can take over traffic flows from say, Nigeria to the US, that used to go on BA, freeing up space on LHR-Nigeria flights for high yield O&D pax.
Plus, IB can serve places like Dakar, Bamako, Freetown with smaller planes at higher frequencies and provide connections not just long-haul, but within Europe.

Agreed, the first batch of routes you mention would probably need to be kept at LHR in any scenario, but I was indeed thinking of the latter group of smaller destinations for which there is less O&D demand from LHR, which would also have the advantage of being within reach of narrowbodies from MAD (maybe I am wrong, but I imagine that with the A321NEO-LR they could probably do reach LAD or NBO from MAD without much sweat - although they would definitely need to have the right medium haul product on those routes, I do not think that their current short haul product would make the cut).

migair54

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:44 pm

that´s the idea, even better in the future with A321, it will help to have an even nicer Business and some more space for cargo and pax. Basically everything except Congo and south could be serve with A320 family from MAD, that´s a huge potential market.

I´m sure BA-IB will share the numbers and make an easy calculation, I still think that MAD will be a future hub for West Africa, now that market is mainly dominated by AF but with the extensive network has in France, Germany, Italy, and some more countries and if they expand a bit to USA (BA-IB-AA Atlantic JV will be important) and why not, Canada, they could attract a lot of traffic, also cargo revenue, very important to in this regions, some of them quite far from the sea and with difficult ground transportation.

HKG could be a good place to start with. The new A332s have a good premium product and the the economy class is quite decent. Cathay and JAL (even when the latter was not in SA)">OW) had some PAX transfer in AMS, as IB's MAD-AMS and BCN-AMS carried the CX and JL codes, so both are good places to launch an Asia route. But I feel connections could be better at HKG for all south-east Asia than NRT, which is way further and could mean some backtrack for most destinations.
How flight times can cope with MAD two longhaul banks is another story.

I think it´s a no brainer that IB if they start Far East flights they will go to friendly turf at first, so HKG and NRT are the best candidates, they are also very high yield markets, but I won´t be surprise if they decide to start PEK or PVG also, even if UX failed, IB network is much stronger and bigger, even the brand name is stronger, specially in South America.

Do you think IB could do a DOH flight in the future in cooperation with QR?? like CX does, for IB could be great to add many destinations to South East Asia and Oceania with 1 stop and not to give away all the pax to other airlines and QR could also get feeding from IB SA network.

For the banks, MAD has a treasure that most big hubs in Europe don´t have, 24 hours operation and plenty of space available and for future expansion if needed., I´m sure LHR, FRA, CDG or AMS would kill to have that.

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 21):

Indeed they need to increase and level all the services to a higher standard, but I think it way much better than few years ago, so at least we can see IB is working hard to build a reputation and the brand. Let´s hope next time you travel with them you don´t have to experience the same issues.

Quoting thekorean (Reply 20):
Expand in East Asia to feed the growth of South American markets. Exploit areas where ME3 are weak.

Yes, but it´s easier to say than to do, but as I said before IB is the less affected airline in Europe because of the ME3, so all the noise other airlines, countries do against the ME3 is an added bonus for IB.

777way

Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:58 am

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 10):

Yes thats him, I guess I saw him after Quest so I assumed.

MKIAZ

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:04 am

They should be absolutely dominating South America - Europe. They have the best geography, a lot of O/D, limited competition. It's a no brainier. They should expand - with the right AC. If they had some 77W's those would be perfect for many of the more popular routes. The ME3 can't touch them on these routes.

DOH would be interesting, and they have the geographic advantage for using narrowbodies to north Africa. HKG I think is a bit risky and would tie up 2 AC they could deploy to much more profitable South America routes. Not to mention lacking the obvious geographic advantage for connections, since most all of europe would need to backtrack to fly XXX-MAD-HKG.

chrisp390

Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:51 am

Richard Quest calls an A320 an A320. Which says a lot since most journalists talk about a A320 or something and attach a picture of an A340, A380, 737.

directorguy

Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:35 am

Quoting Markam (Reply 26):
Agreed, the first batch of routes you mention would probably need to be kept at LHR in any scenario, but I was indeed thinking of the latter group of smaller destinations for which there is less O&D demand from LHR, which would also have the advantage of being within reach of narrowbodies from MAD (maybe I am wrong, but I imagine that with the A321NEO-LR they could probably do reach LAD or NBO from MAD without much sweat - although they would definitely need to have the right medium haul product on those routes, I do not think that their current short haul product would make the cut).

Perhaps they could focus on secondary destinations in Africa, provided bilaterals aren't the issue. Algeria in particular seems to be opening up, and airlines like TK are taking full advantage of that. Most of the Spain-Algeria sectors probably aren't even 2 hours flying time.

Quoting migair54 (Reply 27):
I´m sure BA-IB will share the numbers and make an easy calculation, I still think that MAD will be a future hub for West Africa, now that market is mainly dominated by AF but with the extensive network has in France, Germany, Italy, and some more countries and if they expand a bit to USA (BA-IB-AA Atlantic JV will be important) and why not, Canada, they could attract a lot of traffic, also cargo revenue, very important to in this regions, some of them quite far from the sea and with difficult ground transportation.

How much room does MAD have? I'm assuming plenty of gate space, runway slots aren't an issue, which should give them an edge over CDG/LHR?

vinniewinnie

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:37 am

You got to watch what royal air Maroc does And basically imagine the same type of operations: night flying (for better aircraft utilization), competitive pricing and plenty of connections opportunities from all across Europe to all across Africa.

Doesn't really matter what kind of od there is if there is a good and efficient connecting bank.

As for the Iberia in general congratulations! What a turnaround!

bwest

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:57 am

Quoting vinniewinnie (Reply 32):
You got to watch what royal air Maroc does And basically imagine the same type of operations: night flying (for better aircraft utilization), competitive pricing and plenty of connections opportunities from all across Europe to all across Africa.

Exactly. RAM is building a very solid network in West-Africa, something European airlines flying there should be watching very carefully. The service on boad is still subpar, but they are making improvements.

I've flown IB in business short haul a couple of times, and I'm quite pleased. You get the standard "economy middle seat free", but the food, drinks and service are all top notch. Friendly crews, always there in the cabin. A real pleasure.

SCQ83
Topic Author

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:37 am

Regarding Africa, there is a new wave of immigration to Europe from the continent (those Ceuta and Melilla borders are unfortunately quite famous). Now that the Spanish economy is improving (and others like France are slowing down), I have a very strong feeling that the African community in Spain will grow very fast (jn fact it is already growing). Also the EU (through Frontex) wants those people to stay at their country of arrival (Spain in this case).

During the previous economic boom, at some extent, Spain received 1M. foreigners a year (for a country of 40-45M), mainly from Eastern Europe, Latin America and the Maghreb. And in addition, tourism has also became more global; for instance those 2nd holiday homes in the Mediterranean coast that were previously sold to central Europeans; are now bought by Arabs, Russians and, more recently, Chinese for their retirement or holidays. All that combined has enabled multiple VFR routes that 15 years ago would be unthinkable. Who would have thought back in the day that there would be regular flights Zaragoza - Cluj Napoca or Alicante - Saint Petersburg?

I wouldn't be surprised that the need to expand in medium-haul for IB, the ability to do it with narrow-bodies in West Africa (due to the convenient geographic location of MAD) and an increased VFR to Africa (ex-Maghreb) would make viable more routes to that part of the world. Also many of those new immigrants actually come from French-speaking countries (that would otherwise reach France or Belgium). And most VFR links between the UK and Africa, and BA routes, are to English-speaking countries. There are a good number of destinations in Africa that are served mainly by Air France and Brussels Airlines that are not served by IAG.

So it could be an interesting development. The same way that BA is "specialized" in English-speaking America and IB in "Latin"-speaking America could apply to Africa IMO. IB could eventually serve cities like Conakry, Yaoundé, Abidjan, Banjul, Brazzaville or Kinshasa that are currently a "duopoly" with Air France and Brussels Airlines.

vinniewinnie

Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:20 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 34):
Regarding Africa, there is a new wave of immigration to Europe from the continent (those Ceuta and Melilla borders are unfortunately quite famous). Now that the Spanish economy is improving (and others like France are slowing down), I have a very strong feeling that the African community in Spain will grow very fast (jn fact it is already growing). Also the EU (through Frontex) wants those people to stay at their country of arrival (Spain in this case).

I'm not too sure how illegal immigration plays in this picture but the rest of your analysis (iag response to AF and SN) is spot on. Question is can they compete effectively against RAM and their lower cost base?

migair54

Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:50 pm

Quoting vinniewinnie (Reply 35):
I'm not too sure how illegal immigration plays in this picture but the rest of your analysis (iag response to AF and SN) is spot on. Question is can they compete effectively against RAM and their lower cost base?

Not only in response to AF and SN but to help OneWorld to strenght the presence in a weak area for the alliance, actually the whole Africa, except SA is a big hole in oneworld, now with QR is a bit better but America to Africa and Europe West Africa are big business, that can be flowed via MAD.

The lower cost base of RAM is difficult to match for IB, but for RAM the IB-Oneworld network to Europe and NA via MAD is also difficult to match.

Quoting vinniewinnie (Reply 32):

With current IB schedule it will be great if planes could fly in the night to West Africa, but the problem will be the connectivity, it will be long times of waiting in MAD for any pax flying to America, or from America but for European connections could work nicely.
Departing Madrid at around 9 pm and back around 6-7 am.

r2rho

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:38 pm

Do you think IB could do a DOH flight in the future in cooperation with QR??

IMO, now that QR had bought into IAG, it is a matter of when, not if.

Basically everything except Congo and south could be serve with A320 family from MAD, that´s a huge potential market.

That's a huge luxury no other EU carrier has except AZ. I can even see this as one of the niche markets where a handful of A319NEO's can make sense, though it would be A32xNEO's for the most part.

Indeed. IAG knows the numbers, but IMO some routes without a strong London O&D component should be gradually shifted to MAD. MAD doesn't have the O&D, but is geographically better situated to capture EU transfer traffic. And remember IB does not need to fill a 777 - an A319CEO or any A32xNEO will do just fine.

Quoting directorguy (Reply 31):
How much room does MAD have? I'm assuming plenty of gate space, runway slots aren't an issue, which should give them an edge over CDG/LHR?

Plenty. The airport was designed for 70million pax, and the runways can handle 120 ops/hour. Plus 24hr ops.

SJOtoLIR

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:56 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 6):
I think of HKG (Oneworld to Oneworld with LATAM-Asia connections) to serve the growing trade & tourism between China and Spain; and NRT (another Oneworld hub; though with little connectivity) as a longer shot.

Iberia flew to Tokyo in the past by means of their own planes.
Regarding IB-BA as a whole, the coverage heading to the Far East supplied by BA through LHR is decent.

Quoting migair54 (Reply 8):

I think IB could make some routes work if the choose nicely, looking to transfer pax to SA and West Africa, given that IB and MAD will not be very attractive for European transit maybe it will be less affected than AF or LH.

Iberia in Africa: Tanger, Rabat, Marrakech, Oran, Argel, Casablanca, Accra, Lagos, Malabo, Dakar and Luanda.
South Africa is the big gap in that region. However, Iberia bears its code on both BA LHR-JNB and BA LHR-CPT.
I don't count the Canary Islands and Melilla.
Their coverage in Africa is fair if we compare the level of service offered by other European carriers.

Regards.

[Edited 2015-03-15 15:58:37]
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

thekorean

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:00 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 38):

Yea but who wants to fly to SA with 2 or more stops from Far East? NRT-LHR-MAD-SCL doesn't sound that appealing.

SJOtoLIR

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:12 pm

Quoting thekorean (Reply 39):
who wants to fly to SA with 2 or more stops from Far East? NRT-LHR-MAD-SCL doesn't sound that appealing.

OneWorld grouping actually supplies JL NRT-LAX and then LA LAX-SCL.
That segment is easier than any NRT-MAD plus MAD-SCL, in terms of distance travelled.

Regards.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

Planeflyer

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:24 pm

Tokyo sounds like a pure tourist route. Is that accurate?

SCQ83
Topic Author

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:54 pm

Regarding IB-BA as a whole, the coverage heading to the Far East supplied by BA through LHR is decent.

Spain is increasingly looking East so direct links to China are becoming more necessary. Currently Air China links PEK to BCN (via VIE) and MAD (that continues to GRU). China Eastern has shown interest to launch PVG-MAD (with potential connections with Air Europa to LATAM), and Cathay HKG-BCN. So the "missing" link is MAD-HKG (Oneworld to Oneworld). At least for the time being, that seems the "basic package". I guess at some point AGP to China might make same sense, at least seasonally.

There are more Chinese companies and individuals investing in Spain (mainly in property), and Chinese tourism is increasing fast. From 300k last year to an expected +1M in 2020. Those Chinese-speaking shop assistants and billboards in Mandarin in El Corte Inglés (which I am sure you know well) or in many shops in Serrano were not there 5 years ago and are not there by chance.  

Viscount724

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:50 am

Quoting Planeflyer (Reply 25):
Richard Quest is a breath of fresh air. Entertaining and informative. Always learn something w him. How many aviation stories are accurate?

To each his own, but I can't stand him. He's one of the main reasons (among others) that I almost never watch CNN now. He considers himself some kind of aviation expert but in fact he's a lawyer who I don't believe ever practised. He also has a voice that's like fingernails on a blackboard.

Much of his reporting on the MH370 disappearance was embarrassing.

Planeflyer

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:47 am

Viscount724,

OK, I didn't see his coverage of MH370. Was it accurate? Over the top? I like his enthusiasm but I suppose there's a fine line between this and over the top.

MH370 is a tough story to cover. So easy to speculate so little to report.

Nowadays I use our little forum for my aviation news.  I think we can all agree that most aviation coverage on most of the big TV outlets is pitiful.

directorguy

Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:18 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 34):
During the previous economic boom, at some extent, Spain received 1M. foreigners a year (for a country of 40-45M), mainly from Eastern Europe, Latin America and the Maghreb. And in addition, tourism has also became more global; for instance those 2nd holiday homes in the Mediterranean coast that were previously sold to central Europeans; are now bought by Arabs, Russians and, more recently, Chinese for their retirement or holidays.

I get then that 2 important countries missing from IB's route map are Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.
It's no secret that for decades, people from these countries have been holidaying in Spain, with some buying homes. However, the numbers have increased drastically so that even in the dead of winter, during the low season, there are Arab tourists. Most of the Gulf nationals go to places like Malaga etc. so even a route like a seasonal Malaga-Jeddah a few times per week on an A320 series a/c would be doable. Right now I bet airlines like TK are scooping up most of that traffic.

Markam

Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:06 pm

Quoting r2rho (Reply 37):
Indeed. IAG knows the numbers, but IMO some routes without a strong London O&D component should be gradually shifted to MAD. MAD doesn't have the O&D, but is geographically better situated to capture EU transfer traffic. And remember IB does not need to fill a 777 - an A319CEO or any A32xNEO will do just fine.

Iberia in Africa: Tanger, Rabat, Marrakech, Oran, Argel, Casablanca, Accra, Lagos, Malabo, Dakar and Luanda.
South Africa is the big gap in that region. However, Iberia bears its code on both BA LHR-JNB and BA LHR-CPT.
I don't count the Canary Islands and Melilla.
Their coverage in Africa is fair if we compare the level of service offered by other European carriers.

I would add to the gap list many national capitals in French speaking countries, in which IB could give AF and SN a run for their money even when taking into account the comparative disadvantage of language, since MAD is better positioned for connecting many Europe-Africa city pairs.

In particular, I think that Abidjan, Bamako, Ouagadougou, Cotonou, Lomé, Libreville, Brazzaville, Yaoundé, Kinshaha, Kigali, Niamey, N'Djamena would all be markets worth exploring, since it would be possible to serve them with new generation narrow bodies from MAD, and the yields and growth prospects should be quite decent.

Also, I would add Khartoum, Nairobi and Entebbe to the list, but there the scale might tip more in favor of BA given that they are anglophone countries (although if MAD becomes a true hub for African connections, then it would probably be worth to replicate some of those routes.

Regarding Southern Africa, I imagine that IB might restart their JNB route flown until a few years ago, but I do no think that it will grow more than that (or that it would make a lot of sense, at least for now).

migair54

Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:36 pm

Quoting directorguy (Reply 45):

Saudi Arabia and Kuwait would be very difficult market given the ME3, TK and Saudia, but RJ could keep doing the connectivity with MAD via AMM.

Quoting Markam (Reply 46):
In particular, I think that Abidjan, Bamako, Ouagadougou, Cotonou, Lomé, Libreville, Brazzaville, Yaoundé, Kinshaha, Kigali, Niamey, N'Djamena would all be markets worth exploring, since it would be possible to serve them with new generation narrow bodies from MAD, and the yields and growth prospects should be quite decent.

Many of them could work, but it won´t be easy, however they are all market with a lot of future potential, specially the ones in West Africa.

However the ones in East Africa are served by BA already in some cases, NBO, EBB, before even DAR.

Quoting Markam (Reply 46):
I imagine that IB might restart their JNB route flown until a few years ago

I also think so, very high yield markets, however they have to park a plane the whole day there, so IB needs to be sure it´s worthy, nowadays they do so in LAD and I think the route is doing good, it will be great also to get more frequencies to LAD a very restricted market with high yields.

Quoting Planeflyer (Reply 41):
Tokyo sounds like a pure tourist route. Is that accurate?

Tourist will be a big part of the flight, but high yield frequent business travellers are the most important part to make it work, same for PEK, HKG and PVG.

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 40):
OneWorld grouping actually supplies JL NRT-LAX and then LA LAX-SCL.
That segment is easier than any NRT-MAD plus MAD-SCL, in terms of distance travelled.

Yes, but you gave us the example of the longest flight from MAD, SCL-NRT, what about GIG, GRU, BOG, to PVG, PEK, HKG, distance are shorter and connectivity is better via MAD than LAX, and no transit visa required, something very important to consider.

TYCOON

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:07 pm

I just flew Iberia business class on a short-haul European flight last week and service was great. The food wasn't anything to write home about, but at least a hot meal. It was the service of the Business Class purser that was truly excellent: addressed me by name, recognized my OneWorld elite status, even brought me a chocolate "Since you didn't want any coffee, I thought I would at least bring you the chocolate!"
However, I have been much less impressed with Iberia on the long-haul business class flights. I don't find the service to be nearly as friendly and the food is not very good (fish and meat way too dry). Last long-haul business class I flew with IB was EZE-MAD last November (old seats) and due to fly IB again GIG-MAD in May (new seats), so I will see if there is any improvement on that front.
I don't see IB taking any meaningful share of the African market, particularly the Francophone one, as that is very well covered by AF and SN, in addition to AT. I still think AFKL has a better and denser coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean than does IAG, so it will be difficult in my view for IB to compete for the Asia - Latin America traffic with the AFKL group.
CDG is not a capacity restricted airport and has room for growth... Furthermore, CDG is a 24-hour airport, with restrictions only on certain types of aircraft between 00.00 and 5.00.

GRJGeorge

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:27 pm

Hopefully JNB is on the radar again. Mentioned before in a different thread that IB don't have to spend as much time at JNB as the other European airlines, they used to have the "shortest" ground time, around 9hours, but they can shorten it with a half-hour/1hour later departure to close to 1am from MAD, and return also 1/1and half hour earlier from JNB, arriving MAD 05:00-05:30.
It's not such a heavy business traffic orientated route, as previously flights only arrived around 11am in JNB anyway.
To capture more traffic, especially for connecting Portuguese traffic they could add a tag-on to Maputo (MPM) as well.
Differences from then to now...TAP Air Portugal also withdrew from JNB, use A330 instead of the old A340s, much better onboard product...focus on connecting to Portugal, southern France, NorthAfrica, North,Central and South America.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos