Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

American 767
Topic Author

South Florida Aviation Thread - Part 3

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:00 pm

Please continue posting your updates here:

South Florida Aviation Thread Part 2 (by 777ER Nov 26 2014 in Civil Aviation)

Ben Soriano
Ben Soriano

lpdal

RE: South Florida Aviation Thread - Part 3

Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:50 am

Congrats on part 3, gentlemen! 

I was just checking out MIA's carrier list with their served destinations, and it states US only flies to PHL and CLT from MIA...? Have MIA-TPA-MIA and MIA-MCO-MIA (plus others) been cut from US's destination list from MIA? CLT and PHL seem like a very tiny amount, hope it is just a wiki mistake...

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:58 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 1):

I'm pretty sure most of the non-CLT/PHL US flying has been moved back to AA metal for now.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

rta

Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:58 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 1):
I was just checking out MIA's carrier list with their served destinations, and it states US only flies to PHL and CLT from MIA...? Have MIA-TPA-MIA and MIA-MCO-MIA (plus others) been cut from US's destination list from MIA? CLT and PHL seem like a very tiny amount, hope it is just a wiki mistake...

I'm not sure I understand your question.
AA flies those routes.

Edit: I have a US airways boarding pass for MIA-TPA-MIA from November, but I can't remember if it was operated on US or AA metal.

[Edited 2015-03-15 19:02:23]

lpdal

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:04 am

Yes, and so did US. In fact it was possible only a short time ago to fly US and AA on MIA-TPA-MIA:

US Airways First Class, AA First Class MIATPAMIA (by LPDAL Dec 4 2014 in Trip Reports)

They (US) also flew mainline MIA-MCO-MIA and a few others from MIA. As MFG said, they have probably been just moved back to AA mainline for now, hence my confusion why US dropped from around 10 SKED routes from MIA to just CLT and PHL.

In any event, I fly MIA-TPA often due to my uncle and his family in Tampa, and am disappointed that US dropped this route (for now, at least). On US in first on MIA-TPA, they have a snack basket, on AA they only give this lame snack mix or nothing at all.

-LPDAL

[Edited 2015-03-15 19:05:50]
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

727LOVER

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:19 am

Pre-merger, wasn't US doing MIA-DCA?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

lpdal

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:45 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 5):
Pre-merger, wasn't US doing MIA-DCA?

Yes.

Also, ironically enough, US Airways attempted to open up a South American hub in FLL ala AA in MIA around 2004, with service to:

Cancun, Mexico
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Kingston, Jamaica
Nassau, Bahamas
Panama City, Panama
Providenciales, Turks & Caicos
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
San Jose, Costa Rica
San Juan, Puerto Rico
San Salvador, El Salvador

Naturally, with the proximity of AA's own South American hub, the venture went nowhere, and was gone by 2007. Humorously, this same airline ended up taking over AA, and now US management's team is heading the "New AA" which is pretty ironic if I do say so myself.

-LPDAL

MAH4546

Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:05 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 4):
In any event, I fly MIA-TPA often due to my uncle and his family in Tampa, and am disappointed that US dropped this route (for now, at least). On US in first on MIA-TPA, they have a snack basket, on AA they only give this lame snack mix or nothing at all.

AA and US first class service is 100% identical now. Not sure what MIATPA gets, snack mix is my bet.
a.

Sinlock

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:41 pm

Some small corrections.
Montego Bay Jamaica was left off the list.
Providenciales, Turks & Caicos was announced but never flown.
Nassau was operated as a code share with Bahamas Air.
Gutaemala City only operated for 2-3 weeks before it was dropped.
MIA was a minor factor in the failure. The two major factors was FLL lack of adequate international facility's for connecting passengers, and Spirit hiring away a key member of the US Air Caribbean management team and instantly gaining valuable contacts.

miaskies

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 1):

Congrats on part 3, gentlemen! 

-LPDAL

For the time being those routes legacy AA routes that were flown by US for a short while are back to AA metal. MIA-TPA, MIA-MSY, MIA-DTW come to mind. That said, you will catch an AA 738 or two on MIA-CLT and MIA-PHL along with US.

Any update on BA's A380 gate in the North Terminal? BA Lounge re-openinng?
Crosscheck Complete :)

lpdal

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 7):

AA and US first class service is 100% identical now. Not sure what MIATPA gets, snack mix is my bet.

Funny you should mention that, I flew MIA-TPA on the AA 738 once ( US Airways First Class, AA First Class MIATPAMIA (by LPDAL Dec 4 2014 in Trip Reports) ) and never again. During pushback the flight attendants announced "it is too choppy to serve any drinks or refreshments, so the pilots have told us to stay seated the entire time". What??? It was a clear day with deep blue Floridian skies, no turbulence, and no weather systems even remotely nearby. I checked FlightAware, Airnav, and the local METAR data and all three reported no weather and perfect flying conditions. I can't believe they fibbed like that! Ever since then I have always flown US on MIATPA and always receive a snack basket, PDB, and inflight beverages in real flag-branded glass.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7464/15738316350_8f62c31ba3_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8596/15813694871_3fe1dc3b71_c.jpg
LPDAL's Photostream on Flickr - Photo Sharing
On US: Three passes of the snack basket and three drink runs.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8546/15813160291_bb835ca35e_c.jpg
On AA: Nothing...?

Hence why I'd much rather ride on US Airways on this route, rather than AA.

-LPDAL

krsw757

Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:23 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 10):

Funny you should mention that, I flew MIA-TPA on the AA 738 once ( US Airways First Class, AA First Class MIATPAMIA (by LPDAL Dec 4 2014 in Trip Reports) ) and never again. During pushback the flight attendants announced "it is too choppy to serve any drinks or refreshments, so the pilots have told us to stay seated the entire time". What??? It was a clear day with deep blue Floridian skies, no turbulence, and no weather systems even remotely nearby. I checked FlightAware, Airnav, and the local METAR data and all three reported no weather and perfect flying conditions. I can't believe they fibbed like that! Ever since then I have always flown US on MIATPA and always receive a snack basket, PDB, and inflight beverages in real flag-branded glass.

As a controller, based on what I've heard from the pilots complaints, it's usually the clear days that have the most chop, typically after a cold front moves through. Not sure if this has anything to do with your case. but could be a possibility.

rta

Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 10):
On AA: Nothing...?

Hence why I'd much rather ride on US Airways on this route, rather than AA.

It's just a coke and a bag of pretzels.
Most people won't care about who they are flying on.

And soon enough, it probably won't matter. It seems like the next logical step in consolidation, IMO.

lpdal

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:13 pm

What "most" people do is of no concern to me, if anything, I'm one of the biggest non-conformists there is here.

In any event, I still prefer the service on US Airways on MIA-TPA over AA.

-LPDAL

MAH4546

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:27 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 13):
In any event, I still prefer the service on US Airways on MIA-TPA over AA.

The service is now aligned and identical. There is no longer a difference.

The only difference that remains between AA and US in catering is that US Airways Express does not serve meals because its planes don't have catering equipment, while Eagle does serve meals.

[Edited 2015-03-16 16:28:01]
a.

rta

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:34 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 13):

What "most" people do is of no concern to me

It does matter to the airlines though, and they call the shots.

I'm a bit surprised they did do any sort of cabin service for that short of a flight though. I believe when I flew DL from DTW-ORD, they didn't have any cabin service at all.

[Edited 2015-03-16 16:38:45]

lpdal

Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:02 am

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 14):

What an abhorrent state of affairs for their catering...I'd certainly prefer a full-fledged snack basket over pub mix...

Quoting rta (Reply 15):

I'm a bit surprised they did do any sort of cabin service for that short of a flight though.

They do it every time, even on shorter flights, but only in first class. Obviously, given the length of the flight there would be no way to serve all of Y.

Quoting rta (Reply 15):

It does matter to the airlines though, and they call the shots.

Well, it isn't that much of a loss in the grander scheme of things, pub mix is better than nothing I suppose, and each way on US refundable F is only $300 so it isn't that much of a dealbreaker. I've also got 3M doing FLL-TPA-FLL and PBI-TPA-PBI for a little less on Saab 340B aircraft.

-LPDAL

rta

Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 16):
I've also got 3M doing FLL-TPA-FLL and PBI-TPA-PBI for a little less on Saab 340B aircraft.

Don't forget about Southwest. They also do FLL-TPA-FLL.

MAH4546

Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:43 am

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 14):

What an abhorrent state of affairs for their catering...I'd certainly prefer a full-fledged snack basket over pub mix...

Then I guess you'll be excited to know both airlines serve the identical snack basket on routes of this length.

Quoting rta (Reply 15):

I'm a bit surprised they did do any sort of cabin service for that short of a flight though.

They do it every time, even on shorter flights, but only in first class. Obviously, given the length of the flight there would be no way to serve all of Y.

Short flights like MIA-TPA, LAX-LAS, etc. also get drink service in coach. Sometimes it is an abbreviated service of only water/juice.

[Edited 2015-03-16 17:44:13]
a.

Miami

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:36 am

Aerolineas Argentinas resumes Cordoba – Miami from July 2015.

Aerolineas Argentinas To Start MIA-COR (by mah4546 Mar 18 2015 in Civil Aviation)
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Miami

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:39 am

LAN, earlier this month further revised planned aircraft change for SCL-CCS-MIA on/after January 27, 2016.

http://airlineroute.net/2015/03/19/la-ccsmia-jan16update2/
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

lpdal

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:25 pm

LPDAL, Miami, MIASkies, OB1504, FlyMIA, MAH4546, GreenJet, RTA:

Update On American Eagle Network Realignments (by realsim Mar 17 2015 in Civil Aviation)

* Envoy MIA ops to end this year (base closes in May). It is unknown who will replace the current E145 flights.

Some questions:

1. Is MQ / American Eagle (airline) / Envoy Air being completely shut down, and, if so, why is it becoming defunct?

2. Will Envoy Air's ground handling division (if it is that) still remain? IIRC, they don't just handle their own planes, they also contract at many airports. For example, at FLL, they perform most (all?) of the below the wing ops at the tiny mainline-only station at that field.

3. Who will employ the rampers / ticket agents etc. of Envoy at MIA? I am planning to work as a ramper for American Eagle operators in Miami and was wondering this. Where will I apply? Republic? Do they employ their own rampers? What about gate agents?

-LPDAL

miaskies

Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 21):

Hey there! Thanks for the update - here is the feedback that I know with regards to MIA and American Eagle operations:

1) MQ is not being completely shut down at all BUT it is obviously seeing a drastic cut in company flying for AA. As we have seen over the last year or so, AA has contracted many other regionals (OO, YX, etc.) that has taken a big chunk of MQ flying for American Eagle. This trend will continue and will leave MQ flying only out of the DFW, ORD hubs with DFW beings its main hub. Some CR7's will remain with MQ til about early 2017 but then they will be phased out to PSA. Obviously come 2017, the MQ we know now and the one we knew years prior will be a thing of the past. MQ will be working towards operating a single type of aircraft, E75.

That said, I think MIA DESPERATELY needs a prop regional partner for certain markets out of MIA. Maybe Piedmont would be a good fit with its DH3's (not sure if they are in good shape or not) but not sure if that would even pan out seems as though Piedmont is to take over certain ERJ flying for MQ. No sense in bringing back ERJs. Again I will say it, 3M should have married into the AA family not UA when it came to South Florida ops; perfect fit.

2/3) Their is no reason for me to see why MQ employees would not handle ground ops air side and in the airport. Regardless of the regional actually flying the flight, the branded service to the passengers remain as is and remember the airlines want the passengers to think they are on American/American Eagle not Republic, SkyWest, etc. etc. I do not think we will see much change with MQ operations from that perspective in MIA. If anything we may see an increase IMO with regards to ground ops bigger planes and more passengers funneling thru the hub. I would be surprised to see AA management contract out ground operations in what already is an established group of hard working employees who know the brand, their job, and of course understand the unique dynamics of working in MIA.

[Edited 2015-03-19 13:27:57]
Crosscheck Complete :)

Miami

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:10 pm

Ryanair plans to start US flights included MIA. But it now appears their plan of flying to the US is no more.

Sinlock

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:44 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 21):

2. Will Envoy Air's ground handling division (if it is that) still remain? IIRC, they don't just handle their own planes, they also contract at many airports. For example, at FLL, they perform most (all?) of the below the wing ops at the tiny mainline-only station at that field.

This could not be further from the truth.
AA/US FLL below the wing operations are done by US Airways personal and US has always been in house. AA work was contracted to ATS until late this past October.
AA/US is by far not a small operation. Daily departures and arrivals add up to 70 or more operations per day.
The only non Mainline AA/US flight is a Republic flight to DCA that is operated a few times a week as an extra segment.

On rare occasions Envoy (I think it's them) operates private charters to HVN that are operated over at the Signature Aviation ramp

lpdal

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:59 pm

Nobody was talking about US Airways. I was talking solely about AA, and only AA. For all intents and purposes, AA and US are still separate airlines, for the time being.

DFW, PAP, and ORD as scheduled destinations? Yeah, not exactly a "huge operation" if you ask me, and no, I'm not going off the daily flight rosters. I'm going off the number of destinations served by AA from FLL, and only AA.

-LPDAL

727LOVER

Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:00 pm

Some notes from the most recent trip

FLL:

On 2 recent visits, no sign of the BANANAS

Air Transat 738 reached the holding point of 10L. It waited on 8 landings. By the time it turned onto the runway, there were 8 or 9 aircraft behind it. Wasn't the new runway supposed to relieve this congestion?

Would all landings on 10R/28L and all takeoffs on 10L/28R be more efficient?

MIA:

Great time as usual, but missed Qatar, which was the main reason I went. Finally, snagged a Russian. Probably saw my last pax 744 thunder down 8R--2 BA 744 about an hour apart. Didn't see an influx of F9. 4DL MD-80s on the ground at once, TWICE!

Saw 2 back to back AE 175s take off on 8L, don't recall seeing that before.

Looking forward to this:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Szabo Gabor

Can't understand why KLM can't make MIA work.  
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Miami

Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:46 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 26):
Can't understand why KLM can't make MIA work.

I'm sure they'll be back. Arke has done pretty good doing AMS-MIA.

Once the 787 comes in for KLM. I'm sure they'll restart MIA again. It's been rumored that they plan to come back but no time frame was given.

lpdal

Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:07 am

Good evening from Fort Lauderdale, everyone! Since I received a ton of praise whenever I posted photo essays in the South Florida aviation thread, here is another for you all to enjoy, about my daytrip to the Banyan Pilot Shop (Hangar 63) and subsequent spotting at FXE (Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport), which will come in a later post.

As always, please comment and let me know if you like the content.  

===
Banyan Pilot Shop at Hangar 63 in FXE
===

I was astonished to find out that most South Floridians on Airliners.Net aren't aware of the Banyan Pilot Shop, a literal heaven for Avgeeks, or anyone who loves aviation. They have two flight simulators, one of which is certified by the FAA, and every piece of aviation merchandise you can imagine! But don't take my word for it, I'll let the pictures do the talking:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7647/16875896151_8ee2c4e152_c.jpg
Nice weather and swaying palm frongs greet you as you park your car and head in.

You can tel you're in the right place--the entrance pavilion is shaped like a control tower, topped with a micro-windsock (that actually works), and the fence-posts are prop blades.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7620/16875768042_8ba8eb68c1_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8699/16875767542_c157ef2398_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7623/16876946265_76f0bb5954_c.jpg
Faux taxiways lit with tiny blue lights, a faux runway sign, nosecones, and propellers lead you up to the hold short line and into the "skies" of merchandise.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8677/16689326218_96d2a26fff_c.jpg
Are you having an Avgeek heart attack yet?

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8688/16875763952_6d0a179798_c.jpg
Bust-plaques of hand painted and sculpted models.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8591/16256956623_fb6dd2e400_c.jpg
Keychains and gift cards

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8721/16669651797_2ae265decc_c.jpg
Watch display

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7615/16875757772_ca4ffc948c_c.jpg
They have everything you need to build your own FSX cockpit here at Banyan.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8715/16257227493_863d752838_c.jpg
In fact, I built MY OWN home cockpit in my room at home with parts from Banyan.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8708/16875756432_4eca196abf_c.jpg
Mahogany hand-made aircraft models.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7607/16877086355_32a090abf4_c.jpg
I gave this guy, one of the few-airliner, non-private aircraft models, a new loving home at Casa de LPDAL. Worth every dollar, I wish they had more airliner models.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7603/16254571174_5d7b1e40f2_c.jpg
Aircraft parts, equipment, and components.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8570/16690806869_f31b1a9a55_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7640/16256941883_1349ed0c8e_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8697/16254563484_a07c338a4b_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7585/16689307038_2a25a89d6c_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8727/16690803509_de04ae9958_c.jpg
The genius engineers at Banyan Air Service turned this former Gulfstream front-half-of-a-fuselage into a lounge and flight simulator cockpit, lit, with plugs for working inside and everything! My own cockpit doesn't hold a candle to this one...

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8570/16256945503_d8cfee8e88_c.jpg
Their other, less-exciting simulator, which nonetheless is still FAA-approved.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7594/16875750512_111356cc2d_c.jpg
Nearby, a wall of sectionals.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7288/16689304118_6e7a55322a_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8679/16689303528_a73e9ecdbb_b.jpg
Various aviation-related products throughout the shop, and a Gemini Jets stand.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8612/16876915645_c7908479a9_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7595/16689297598_a49b852e8d_b.jpg
The radio-controlled-aircraft and pilot uniform section of the store.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8652/16876912265_206e7162a4_c.jpg
Finally, the shop's "Gate Guardian" a trike-ultralight aircraft, hanging from the ceiling of the hangar, Hangar 63, that is.  

===
END UPDATES
===

Banyan Private Jet Terminal Self-Tour, Ramp Self-Tour, and Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport viewing area / spotting posts all coming soon, in later posts. 

Miami, FlyMIA, OB1504, Sinlock, Greenjet, RTA, 727LOVER, MAH4546, MIASkies, and MesaFlyGuy, please let me know if you like these shots / updates!  

Best,

-LPDAL / Colby

[Edited 2015-03-20 18:17:28]

[Edited 2015-03-20 18:18:56]

727LOVER

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:05 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 28):
I was astonished to find out that most South Floridians on Airliners.Net aren't aware of the Banyan Pilot Shop, a literal heaven for Avgeeks, or anyone who loves aviation.

Oh, that's so cool. It reminds me of the shop that used to be at PIE.....USED to be  

Maybe most people don't know about it because few visit FXE, After 20 years of visiting S. Florida, I never have...just too much at FLL and MIA. Only recently have I started visiting OPF. I haven't been to PBI in ages.

It's certainly a good alternative to the now closed 72nd Ave store.

lpdal

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:01 am

Hi Ozell, and thanks for your feed back

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 29):
I haven't been to PBI in ages.

You know PBI is airline serviced by all the usual domestic culprits, right?  
=
Delta First Class+Dead Hubs+MD-90s PBI✈CVG✈MEM✈MIA (by lpdal Feb 18 2015 in Trip Reports)

The number of airline operations at PBI is more or less just a little higher than at SRQ.

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 29):
Maybe most people don't know about it because few visit FXE, After 20 years of visiting S. Florida, I never have...just too much at FLL and MIA.

Well, people who haven't been to FXE are missing a lot! It's one of the busiest GA fields in Florida, right next to OPF. Not only the Hangar 63 Pilot Shop, but also a dozen charter companies, many flight schools, and a few private jet terminals.

On that note, the part of my FXE series:

===
Virtual Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport Tour: Banyan Air Service Private Jet Terminal, Ramp Shots, Flight Schools, and Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport Viewing Area
===

Welcome to your virtual tour of the Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport, I'm your host, Colby McCormack, and I'll be guiding you through this fine facility. Come along with me...  
-
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8722/16851109916_bdf8fbc0ed_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7629/16689371318_482e60eb8f_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7622/16254623104_e372eb61e7_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7611/16875807272_7249a7238b_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8746/16690860599_540dd4686e_b.jpg
Welcome to the Banyan Air Service Private Jet Terminal, serving all your corporate jet, FBO, and general private aircraft needs. Come on in!

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8719/16689368338_ab2a1da68f_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7585/16851103916_384d59f3af_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7623/16689579680_d8d3a59bb0_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8687/16690857529_d16a23617f_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8691/16875802782_7ecb244ff4_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7613/16669665447_26239ae05b_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7608/16689361388_3c5fc67904_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7649/16254613494_887a885611_c.jpg
Immediately off to our left is a flight planning, clearance-obtaining, and general aviation information center that is perfect for dreaming up your next flight.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8755/16689374228_73ae41d432_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7281/16254612354_95b74bbee8_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7633/16851111786_2a52a183c7_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8699/16875964581_2975d70d90_b.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7617/16254609374_b3d1b398d3_c.jpg
Or, if you are a client chartering an airplane, you can relax in the serene company of a graceful waterfall and an aquarium.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7625/16254735254_b85be88286_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8699/16254733284_db42a6c00c_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8687/16690972209_97382f5feb_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8743/16257104743_2a850cdb44_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8735/16689693130_634cc996f3_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8749/16877094245_d38bda967f_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7631/16876076381_f997d08392_c.jpg
In and around the ramp near the Private Jet Terminal, you can view some awesome-looking, unique private airplanes.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8702/16254715244_2998d7c77f_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8701/16877076925_ddbcd6b291_c.jpg
Now, let us take a short ride to the observation area of the airport.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7628/16689672120_c93e6e663b_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8707/16689453588_baf3b211ab_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8754/16689668510_95fd5d7a68_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8744/16669753877_081d22cfe1_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7605/16689449448_2c9fb90171_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8740/16257079433_20ea099028_c.jpg
Arriving at the viewing area, we get to watch private aircraft land and depart while listen to the departure frequency linked on several nearby loudspeakers!

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8734/16851182626_c41a653197_c.jpg
Can someone tell me what the large, curvy-tail, red-striped aircraft is?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7600/16690913529_1a82aa9b3b_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7587/16689419468_565e3d33e2_c.jpg
Look, a Gulfstream landing! https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7590/16876053611_2b8f1129ea_c.jpg
This is N679AS, a 1995-built Jetstream 4101.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8710/16875879102_00466958d9_c.jpg
And this is Yankee-Victor-Two-Zero-Three-Charlie-Papa, a stripped Gates Learjet 25.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8687/16254689024_f9e99cd5c1_c.jpg
Right over here, we have a lone prop-job Cessna Skyhawk II among the various dormant corporate jets.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8742/16876043041_f9b90f64d6_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8755/16690925709_658eca1b13_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8704/16877052325_a8e309b206_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8732/16851168046_680ac41491_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7632/16689647730_738af147c6_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8748/16851167446_6a13dfc87d_c.jpg
N8476H, named "Spirit of the Freight Dog", is a Beech H18, now for sale by its owner. Notice the template for an indirect air carrier to place their actual operating air carrier AOC, the new PeoplExpress should take an interest in this (cargo) frame!   

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8743/16690920689_1b40a472b4_c.jpg
This rusty plane, N91119, is an old Piper PA-23.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7611/16851158616_1b57ee83f2_c.jpg
Over there is stubby-looking, tiny business-jet N110AJ, a Rockwell Sabreliner 80A.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7602/16254666574_792d629a88_c.jpg
Walking over here, you can see various private aircraft holding short for the active runway.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8755/16254665444_aa58e4b2d8_c.jpg
And some props, the towering Saab 340B+s being the most noticeable of them.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7606/16877024655_5d64686528_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8744/16254653404_e15da1acb0_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7589/16254651984_954a7112e2_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7287/16876011911_9a4c8b0933_c.jpg
Over here, we have a splash of tiny Pipers and Cessna twin pistons.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7648/16254650594_1947e2e70a_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8750/16690887079_cbb56fea4b_c.jpg
The next stop on our tour is the W Aviation / CTI Professional Flight Training hangar, which features some excellent spotting spots.  https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8741/16690889079_0ec2922643_c.jpg
Here we see the unique view of a hollowed-out jet engine nacelle.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7286/16689609840_2882f8a4aa_c.jpg
A Challenger, perhaps being scrapped for parts or being maintained.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8716/16689608430_77156b50bc_c.jpg
The final stop on our tour is the Toledo Jet MRO, with excellent views of the active runway and unique aircraft being serviced and parked on and within the nearby maintenance hangar.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7608/16875996391_fbbe889b21_c.jpg
That is N170PC, a 1986 British Aerospace Systems Jetstream 31.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8727/16690881119_5ff820be78_c.jpg
And right next to it is N680MD, a 1991 Fairchild SA227-AC.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7633/16689606390_0898abcca2_c.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8739/16257018593_9ba8b18315_c.jpg
Various American-registered and Venezuelan-based aircraft outside of the Toledo Jet Maintenance, Repair, and Operations (MRO) Hangar.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8710/16886566732_38d8e319ba_b.jpg
Unfortunately, our tour ends here, but don't be sad, more virtual tours are coming soon. 

===
END VIRTUAL TOUR
===

Potential (MAY happen, not CERTAIN these will occur yet) virtual tours:

-Opa Locka Airport & Associated Facilities (IATA: OPF, ICAO: KOPF)
-Palm Beach International Airport & Associated Facilities (IATA: PBI, ICAO: KPBI)
-Pompano Beach Airpark & Associated Facilities: (IATA: PMP, ICAO: KPMP)
-Boca Raton Airport & Associated Facilities (IATA: BCT, ICAO: KBCT)

Miami, FlyMIA, OB1504, Sinlock, Greenjet, RTA, 727LOVER, MAH4546, MIASkies, and MesaFlyGuy, please let me know if you like these shots / updates!

Best,

-LPDAL / Colby

[Edited 2015-03-21 17:04:44]

[Edited 2015-03-21 17:32:43]

Navion

Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:38 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 30):
Can someone tell me what the large, curvy-tail, red-striped aircraft is?

That large aircraft is a Fairchild C-123 Provider. It is likely a former USAF aircraft.

lpdal

Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:32 am

Thanks for that info! Unfortunately, I was driving the BMW around, trying to find a spot to capture it from near W Aviation / CTI Professional Flight Training / Toledo Jet, but it was obstructed, I think.

I'm going to PMP next, if I can even park there (I believe, but am not certain, that all PMP parking lots are gate-locked. Not sure about BCT or OPF, but with PBI being a large, commercially serviced international airport, it definitely has a pay-public-parking lot and some great places to spot from.).

The only problem with PBI is that it is literally an hour drive across a few counties just to get there, so I'd have to wake up early and count on the BMW's performance to get me to the airport. I don't think I'd have any problem with that.  

-LPDAL

Navion

Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 32):
Not sure about BCT or OPF, but with PBI being a large, commercially serviced international airport, it definitely has a pay-public-parking lot and some great places to spot from.).

All 3 of these airports are "secured" but you can drive around the access roads and parking lots and see quite a bit. You can see the BCT south ramp and runway from the 2nd level of the movie theatre parking lot (which is free). Don't forget also that PBI has a free viewing area off of Southern Blvd. but you are viewing the action at a distance unlike FLL.

One gem you should not overlook is LNA (exit I-95 at Lantana Road). You can pull in to the FBO, park, then get out and walk through the breezeway which gives you access to the ramp. I've flown out of there since the 1960's and it is my "home" airport.

Good hunting.

lpdal

Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:25 am

Quoting Navion (Reply 33):

Good hunting.

Navion,

Thank you! I made it out to PBI today, took a ton of pictures and spotted until early evening before heading back to Fort Lauderdale. It's a little late to write my next virtual tour, but it is coming soon! Look out for it in this here thread!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7281/16277055694_b83399594c_c.jpg
Teaser, one of my favorite shots.  

-LPDAL

Miami

Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:05 pm

Qatar Airways flight 778 (MIA-DOH) was diverted to Gander last night. Apparently a mother gave birth during flight.

QR flight 777 (DOH-MIA) was delayed and arrived at MIA at 9pm. When QR 778 is suppose to depart. Bad day for inbound and especially for outbound passengers.

phllax

Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:24 pm

Quoting Sinlock (Reply 8):
Some small corrections.
Montego Bay Jamaica was left off the list.
Providenciales, Turks & Caicos was announced but never flown.
Nassau was operated as a code share with Bahamas Air.
Gutaemala City only operated for 2-3 weeks before it was dropped.
MIA was a minor factor in the failure. The two major factors was FLL lack of adequate international facility's for connecting passengers, and Spirit hiring away a key member of the US Air Caribbean management team and instantly gaining valuable contacts.

BDA was also flown during this time.

Domestic spokes included the return of BOS & LGA plus EWR, PVD, BDL and I think RDU.

I sat next to Rhett Workman on a CLT-FLL leg right after they announced it. He was heavily involved in the FLL hub being on the international side, althought I don't think a VP at that time. They were very excited for this, and there were even plans to re-open the old EA Ionisphere Club as a US Club. It was located to the left of security. There were also plans for more Central American and Northern South America destinations such as Lima and Caracas.

I think the lack of facilities is what did it in more than the Spirit defection.

[Edited 2015-03-23 11:29:38]

flymia

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:20 pm

please let me know if you like these shots / updates!

Enjoyed the "tour." I have never been to Bayan certainly need to go sometime, I also think there is resturant at FXE too.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Flopped

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:40 pm

For FLL spotters, a Thompson 788 will be arriving as a charter from ARN tomorrow night around 1935L going to E8 and then head down to CUN.

In the morning time (11ish, I think, not certain) of 4/9, they will be doing a similar charter using a 763.

[Edited 2015-03-23 15:41:03]

lpdal

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:00 pm

I'm surprised the Thompson 787 isn't there to sub-service for the Norwegian 787 at FLL.  

There is a bit of humor as well as pseudo-fact wrapped within the above statement, but it does have an element of truth in it. Norwegian Long Haul's operation, at FLL, at least, is a major disaster. Last month, a family friend and her husband/children were deciding whether to take DL FLL-ATL-LHR or DY FLL-LGW for their British vacation. The parents ultimately decided to take DY's cheaper non-stop FLL-LGW flight, but they arrived to the airport only to hear that the plane was already delayed several hours. After waiting 5+ hours in T3, they packed up their stuff and went back home. They did end up flying FLL-LGW a day or two later, but not without a ton of strife.

I know us FLL residents are excited to finally have weekly service to Europe (besides Condor's summer seasonal service), but DY really needs to up the ante on making their operation reliable. It's a common site in FLL to see one or even two Norwegian 787s baking in the South Floridian sun, due to going tech the previous night.

-LPDAL

Flopped

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:33 pm

I wouldn't call Norwegian at FLL a disaster. They're actually mostly on time if not early; more so than Condor ever was. They will be dropping a LGW and CPH flight next month and will no longer have two flights in a night as they do on Mon/Fri currently.

Now Silver.. There's an airline with some issues right now. They grew really fast to get their "Signatory Airline" status and couldn't quite handle it. Right out of the gate, half their fleet went out of service which led to many cancellations and delays. They didn't have enough flight crews and ramp space. They were even hardstanding on A remote busing passengers to the gate. They're doing better now and relocated their flights to C8, so hopefully it works out.

[Edited 2015-03-23 16:49:14]

lpdal

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:56 pm

Quoting Flopped (Reply 40):
They will be dropping a LGW and CPH flight next month and will no longer have two flights in a night as they do on Mon/Fri currently.

So they are reducing flights because they weren't making money. That is the only reason.

Now Silver.. There's an airline with some issues right now. They grew really fast to get their "Signatory Airline" status and couldn't quite handle it. Right out of the gate, half their fleet went out of service which led to many cancellations and delays. They didn't have enough flight crews and ramp space. They were even hardstanding on A remote busing passengers to the gate.

I'm not sure what this means -- are you talking about when they moved from Gulfstream to being Silver or present day? 3M hasn't been Gulfstream for almost three and a half years.

As for bussing to hardstand--what is wrong with that? It's an extremely common practice worldwide, and I'd hazard a guess to say that not many people could name a major airline that hasn't bussed to hardstand at one point in time or currently.

They were even hardstanding on A remote busing passengers to the gate. They're doing better now and relocated their flights to C8, so hopefully it works out.

Do you have pictures of this? I fly almost 80% out of Concourse C, and C8 is NOT equipped to handle ramp-boardings or passengers regularly walking on it safely, which involves much more than painting lines on the ramp out to the stand. Nor does C8 have multiple spaces for the SAAB 340B+ aircraft, it only has a single line.

-LPDAL

Flopped

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:14 am

Norwegian has more routes planned than planes, so that doesn't help. The cut is supposed to be temporary for summer and pick back up in fall, but we'll see how that goes. They lost both HiFly and LOT subbing two flights a week.

With Silver, "Signatory Airline" basically means they signed a fixed field/facility usage agreement to provide x amount of service for x amount of time to get cheaper rates. I don't know what the exact terms are because I don't have that kind of info, but this has all happened in the past month or so..
And I didn't mean the hardstands were a bad thing.. They're just a solution to their ramp problems.

Also, C8 is now marked and fully operational with Silver as of last week I believe. I'll see if I can get some shots soon.

Flopped

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:16 pm

Here you go... Three Saabs stuffed into C8 (with the Allegiant 320 on C5 instead).

http://i.imgur.com/6lyX9RI.jpg

Miami

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:28 pm

Sadly, British Airways will only send 1 A380 daily to MIA instead of the previously planned 2 daily.

Frontier14

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:10 pm

Welcome to your virtual tour of the Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport, I'm your host, Colby McCormack, and I'll be guiding you through this fine facility. Come along with me...

Enjoyed the tour - thanks.

Frontier 14

lpdal

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:25 pm

Quoting Flopped (Reply 43):
Here you go... Three Saabs stuffed into C8 (with the Allegiant 320 on C5 instead).

I stand corrected then -- my apologies.

It seems strange for them to use that gate, though -- it's the same size as C5, isn't it? The terminal's two concourses are symmetrical, I believe.

Quoting Flopped (Reply 42):
With Silver, "Signatory Airline" basically means they signed a fixed field/facility usage agreement to provide x amount of service for x amount of time to get cheaper rates. I don't know what the exact terms are because I don't have that kind of info, but this has all happened in the past month or so..
And I didn't mean the hardstands were a bad thing.. They're just a solution to their ramp problems.

I hope Silver does do well, however, they do seem to have a ton of problems with route selection (CHS??? FLL-PIE??). Has anyone reported on their profitability yet?

-LPDAL

flymia

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:58 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 44):

Sadly, British Airways will only send 1 A380 daily to MIA instead of the previously planned 2 daily.

While I do enjoy the A380. At least watching them land have yet to get on board of one. If the 2nd daily remains a 744 no tears here. Love the 744 and the more 744s in MIA the better. They are starting to become rare in the passenger version in MIA!
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

greenjet

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:44 am

Quoting Flopped (Reply 38):
For FLL spotters, a Thompson 788 will be arriving as a charter from ARN tomorrow night around 1935L going to E8 and then head down to CUN.

Thanks for the heads up. Managed to get some shots of it, albeit at dusk.

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 32):
I'm going to PMP next, if I can even park there (I believe, but am not certain, that all PMP parking lots are gate-locked. Not sure about BCT or OPF, but with PBI being a large, commercially serviced international airport, it definitely has a pay-public-parking lot and some great places to spot from.)

I was at OPF at the weekend. There's not really any one great spot (to my knowledge) for watching the movements. I typically just drive around. Go down Bennett Road and you will see a lot of the stuff in storage (AN-12s, MD-80s, 737 classics) and aircraft being scrapped (just a handful of Gulfstreams at the moment). It's a lot less interesting than a few years ago but airports like OPF tend to be more interesting during downturns in the industry! If you drive around the airport there's plenty to see in all the nooks and crannies of the field - DC-3s, the resident B707 (N88ZL), Convairs, 737s, PAWA MD-80s, and all types of bizjets. The Coast Guard has a hangar too and one of their HC-144s landed as I arrived.

In other news, it looks like FLL-FRA is no longer bookable on Condor's website.

rta

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:53 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 47):
While I do enjoy the A380. At least watching them land have yet to get on board of one. If the 2nd daily remains a 744 no tears here. Love the 744 and the more 744s in MIA the better. They are starting to become rare in the passenger version in MIA!

Agreed. The 744's look great in BA's livery. I'm glad they'll still be coming to MIA.
Does anyone know if the 206 or the 208 will be the A380?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos