Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DDR

RE: AA To Snaz Up Food Presentation

Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:38 pm

Quoting eisenbach (Reply 49):

How much does OS charge for that one hour flight? AA will fly me from TUL to DFW (one hour flight) for 59.00 if I don't check bags. My guess is that if OS can fly you for 59.00 and provide a hot meal, they aren't making money on that flight.

Stitch

Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:48 pm

Quoting eisenbach (Reply 49):
Even on short hops like VIE-FRA (1 hour) you get a hot meal on OS.
Quoting DDR (Reply 50):
How much does OS charge for that one hour flight? AA will fly me from TUL to DFW (one hour flight) for 59.00 if I don't check bags.

Looks to be 75 Euro.

And bags fly free.  

DDR

Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:11 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 51):

So "roughly" 22.00 more for the same flight time. Since I wouldn't need to check bags, I would rather save the 22.00 than have a meal on a one hour flight.

On longer flights there is no comparison, the EU traditional carriers are much better.

codc10

Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:15 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 16):
You're kidding, right? As a 1K, I've been eating the same garbage meal for breakfast on UA for the last 3 years.

The omelet/sausage puck/potato glop is mostly history, and lots of new breakfast choices now...

Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:38 pm

Quoting Prost (Reply 18):
For those of you who are flying a lot, do you think a fruit and cheese plate served on a China plate would be more palatable?

Yes, I'd like something like this, or at least some variety. I get tired of the snack baskets; goldfish, muffins, etc.
I love to fly!

eisenbach

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:11 am

Quoting DDR (Reply 52):
So "roughly" 22.00 more for the same flight time. Since I wouldn't need to check bags, I would rather save the 22.00 than have a meal on a one hour flight.

On longer flights there is no comparison, the EU traditional carriers are much better.

Good point. Maybe it's even more difference, as you'd have to compare J prices!

The J-fares for FRA - HEL - FRA were € 406,85. So about EUR 200,- for a 2 hours flight.

But you can always argue, that people might prefer real J seats on narrow-bodies, rather than having a good meal.

So I think you can summarize: European carriers might invest in better food but want to be more flexible with seating; US carriers don't care about good food but invest in proper J seats  
DC-6, DC9, Do228, Saab340, Twin-Otter, C212, Fokker50, AN24, MD90, MD83, EMB120, A380, A300, A343, A346, B721, B742, B744, B748...

hz747300

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:51 am

Quoting Phillyramp270 (Reply 26):
All I'm saying is, if I'm paying $6,000 for first class from MIA to LHR, I expect a T-Bone Steak of Same quality from Ruth & Chris or Shrimp scampi from McCormicks and Schmick's... Is food so hard???

Really makes you wonder where the $'s go. I'd love to see a breakdown of what my fare actually pays for...
Keep on truckin'...

afcjets

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:06 pm

The irony is while AA served the best meals in F and much better than US, the actual seat is inferior, as it is very narrow, and this is a fixed cost. While AA flyers are complaining about the food US has implemented, US flyers will be complaining about the F seats on American's two cabin aircraft.

[Edited 2015-03-19 09:12:06]

jsnww81

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:09 pm

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 56):
Really makes you wonder where the $'s go. I'd love to see a breakdown of what my fare actually pays for...

Those 40-year-veteran FAs don't come cheap.   Extra charge if F-class pax want a smile with their watery, reheated steaks.

N1120A

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:26 pm

Quoting codc10 (Reply 53):
The omelet/sausage puck/potato glop is mostly history, and lots of new breakfast choices now.

Doesn't change how it was for all that time, or that they even served that garbage in C on EWR-HKG to me on 12/27.

Quoting AAplat4life (Reply 20):
I was referring to a 2014 survey of the World's top 100 airlines that had AA in the high 80's, with #1 being the best. UA and DL scored better.

I'm guessing a lot of that is combined scoring coming out of the LCC side.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

GSPSPOT

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:42 pm

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 56):

EXACTLY. Airlines are swimming in $$ these days. I hope AA continues to invest in the passenger experience apart from their new a/c. The older a/c need some TLC!
Great Lakes, great life.

afcjets

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:15 pm

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 60):
The older a/c need some TLC!

By TLC, do you mean they need those new fancy slim line seats?   

I will take an older aircraft any day, if they are safely maintained. New aircraft are being delivered with increasingly uncomfortable cabins and seats.

[Edited 2015-03-19 12:16:58]

AWACSooner

Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:00 pm

So, AA is basically polishing a turd and trying to convince us it's a new and improved product, is that what I'm reading from all these replies? Oh and DUI-Doug = Smisek 2.0?

ckfred

Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:50 pm

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 62):
So, AA is basically polishing a turd and trying to convince us it's a new and improved product, is that what I'm reading from all these replies? Oh and DUI-Doug = Smisek 2.0?

I'm going to give Parker & Co. the benefit of the doubt for a while, for two reasosns.

First, US's management team told AA's unions, when lining up support for the merger, that the US route structure didn't support offering the AA service, both hard and soft. AA has far more premium routes, and the combined carrier had the abiliity to expand AA's service to US routes.

Now, it's easy to say what the unions want to hear, and then ignore those pledges and promises. But, that makes for bad labor relations. Part of the reason the unions supported Parker was that they believed that US had better relations with its unions (forget the pilot senority issue, since that was between the US and HP pilots) than AA did. Backtrack on the pledge to maintain AA service, and then every labor issue, including contract negotiations, looks like the old AA.

Second, Parker got his start at AA and has worked in the airline industry his entire life. Smisek was a securities lawyer, before he went to work for CO, first in the legal department as general counsel, then as COO and president. Practicing law for 20 some years doesn't teach a person one thing about running an airline and making passengers happy.

About the only lawyer who has been a passenger-focused airline executive is Herb Kelleher.

AAplat4life

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 63):
Backtrack on the pledge to maintain AA service, and then every labor issue, including contract negotiations, looks like the old AA.

Based on my last few AA flights, we're getting back to the old AA pretty quickly. The crew is noticeably unhappy, because the premium passengers are unhappy, they take the brunt of it and can't do anything but tell the passenger to write a letter. I don't think that Parker has an advantage here over Smisek. If anything Smisek might be at an advantage since UA operates in more premium markets overall than the post-merger AA network, and Parker had to react after AA announced reduced meal service and UA and DL then announced improvements.

DDR

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:43 pm

Quoting eisenbach (Reply 55):

And you make a good point   it's too bad we can't get a proper seat and a nice meal at a fare most people can afford.

afcjets

Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:23 pm

the US route structure didn't support offering the AA service, both hard and soft.

Parker's claim is completely irrelevant because at the end of the day, AA must compete with DL and UA. No elite passenger when choosing a preferred airline is going to hold AA to a lower standard because it's CEO feels it's first class meal service and quality must be degraded system wide because not all routes are worthy.

[Edited 2015-03-19 16:28:53]

commavia

Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:32 pm

Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 66):
Parker's claim is completely irrelevant because at the end of the day, AA must compete with DL and UA.

It's not completely irrelevant - and the above sentence illustrates why. As said, Parker apparently contended - reasonably, I think - that the USAirways network was too small and weak to support the higher service (cost) levels of larger rivals AA, Delta or United. He hasn't said that about AA, which he now runs - which is now larger than Delta and United must, indeed, compete with them.

Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 66):
No elite passenger when choosing a preferred airline is going to hold AA to a lower standard because it's CEO feels it's first class meal service and quality must be degraded system wide because not all routes are worthy.

And therein lies the bottom line in all of this: AA needs to make sure it stays broadly competitive with its two most important peers, Delta and United. And for all the complaints, I see little to no evidence that AA's premium service is particularly worse than either of its chief rivals.

afcjets

Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:43 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 67):
As said, Parker apparently contended - reasonably, I think - that the USAirways network was too small and weak to support the higher service (cost) levels of larger rivals AA, Delta or United. He hasn't said that about AA, which he now runs - which is now larger than Delta and United must, indeed, compete with them.

Then why has meal quality at AA deteriorated, based on the posts here. The only airline I have flown recently is Delta, and it's first class meal SNA-ATL was delicious!

And for all the complaints, I see little to no evidence that AA's premium service is particularly worse than either of its chief rivals.

Except for it's narrower First Class seats, but that is nothing new, that began with 738 deliveries and ultimately even older 757 first class seats were shrunk too, which made no sense.

[Edited 2015-03-19 16:45:24]

commavia

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:10 am

Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 68):
The only airline I have flown recently is Delta, and it's first class meal SNA-ATL was delicious!

And I flew AA last week and the First Class meal on my flight - far shorter than SNA-ATL - was also quite delicious. Everybody's got their opinion, and experiences.

Except for it's narrower First Class seats, but that is nothing new, that began with 738 deliveries and ultimately even older 757 first class seats were shrunk too, which made no sense.

Every airline has pros and cons. Personally, all else equal, I'll take AA's "narrower" First Class seats and AAdvantage any day of the week over Delta's First seat and SkyMiles. Again - everybody's got their own preferences, and value drives that truly influence their decisions.

afcjets

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:28 am

Quoting commavia (Reply 69):
I'll take AA's "narrower" First Class seats and AAdvantage any day of the week over Delta's First seat and SkyMiles. Again - everybody's got their own preferences, and value drives that truly influence their decisions.

That is so true. I would think most people would prefer a wider first class seat but clearly it has worked for American, I have not heard many complaints about it but I think some people just stick with one airline and don't even realize it. I quit flying them specifically because of their narrow first class seat, and not because of my size (waist 30 here). It really saddens me too because they were always my favorite major airline too and now they are my least favorite, at least as far as first class.

Thomaas

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:58 am

First, US's management team told AA's unions, when lining up support for the merger, that the US route structure didn't support offering the AA service, both hard and soft. AA has far more premium routes, and the combined carrier had the abiliity to expand AA's service to US routes.
the USAirways network was too small and weak to support the higher service (cost) levels of larger rivals AA, Delta or United.

I fail to see how US's network structure doesn't support a decent first class meal. We aren't talking about introducing lie-flat seats on routes like PHX-DEN or CLT-SAN here, we are talking about a meal that would probably barely cost them 5$ more to produce. It's not like US didn't have it's own first class service either. If US already had passengers that pay a premium to sit in the front, they shouldn't have too much trouble offering a decent meal to them as well as legacy AA passengers. If there are too many F seats into US hubs to support higher fares, they can simply reconfigure the fleet with fewer F seats, flying the F heavy birds to AA hubs. The only reason that the meal quality at AA has gone down is because they are trying to save money by doing so, not because US's hubs can't support improved meals.

commavia

Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:13 am

Quoting Thomaas (Reply 71):
I fail to see how US's network structure doesn't support a decent first class meal. We aren't talking about introducing lie-flat seats on routes like PHX-DEN or CLT-SAN here, we are talking about a meal that would probably barely cost them 5$ more to produce. It's not like US didn't have it's own first class service either. If US already had passengers that pay a premium to sit in the front, they shouldn't have too much trouble offering a decent meal to them as well as legacy AA passengers. If there are too many F seats into US hubs to support higher fares, they can simply reconfigure the fleet with fewer F seats, flying the F heavy birds to AA hubs. The only reason that the meal quality at AA has gone down is because they are trying to save money by doing so, not because US's hubs can't support improved meals.

I don't believe anybody - including Doug Parker - has suggested that "meal quality at AA has gone down ... because US's hubs can't support improved meals." Rather, again, the contention that I believe Parker made - in the past, before the merger - was that owing to its relatively smaller hub markets and overall smaller network, and resulting lower revenue-generating power of said network, USAirways' cost structure had to be lower (i.e., inferior catering) in order for USAirways to generate similar returns to larger rivals.

Thomaas

Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:14 am

Quoting commavia (Reply 72):
I don't believe anybody - including Doug Parker - has suggested that "meal quality at AA has gone down ... because US's hubs can't support improved meals." Rather, again, the contention that I believe Parker made - in the past, before the merger - was that owing to its relatively smaller hub markets and overall smaller network, and resulting lower revenue-generating power of said network, USAirways' cost structure had to be lower (i.e., inferior catering) in order for USAirways to generate similar returns to larger rivals.

Catering costs are a small part of the equation especially considering that most of it is directed to F class meals for which passengers already pay a premium. There are other much more obvious cost cutting methods such as reducing the number of flights (if you can't operate them profitably), improving efficiency (delays cost airlines a lot of money) and cutting benefits such as FF rewards. I fail to see how SLC and MSP can sustain decent DL catering in F while PHL and CLT can't on AA. The only reason the current US hub structure can't sustain it is because they try to be everything to everyone by offering the lowest fare on many city pairs on which they connect passengers through their hubs. US is a volume driven airline. Cutbacks in the amount of F seats and trimming the oversized CLT and the low-yielding PHX hub would do wonders to their revenue generation potential.

9w748capt

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:20 am

Quoting commavia (Reply 72):

Dougie hasn't said that openly, but he did say that 1) LCC's meal windows were significantly different from pmAA due to a lower yielding network, and that 2) the harmonization of meals on the combined LCC/AA resulted in far more additions to legacy-US routes than subtraction from AA routes, particularly given the huge outcry from AA elites when the initial adjustment eliminated meals on sub 1000 mile routes. So read between the lines - yes, the new LCC may be spending more overall on food, but instead of raising standards across the board, they took the cheap way out and decided to serve inedible slop to all. Shocker.

pu

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:02 am

Quoting peanuts (Reply 46):
Their market cap has now eclipsed DL.
Impressive.

Agreed.
It's like people complaining about Delta's SkyMiles: look at their profits, not the number of free seats they give away.

I think the US3 have more or less locked down their respective markets and are actually giving up on competition - or call it capacity discipline if you prefer.

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 34):
Why the heck was this comment necessary?

I think it's necessary.
He has 3 DUIs, afaik.

No one gets a job at AA with even a single DUI....not the flight crews of course but also not the ramp, not airport staff, not in reservations.
It's a relevant dichotomy.

Pu.

afcjets

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:25 am

Quoting Thomaas (Reply 73):
I fail to see how SLC and MSP can sustain decent DL catering in F while PHL and CLT can't on AA.

Delta's $2 billion profit last year is pretty impressive too.

Quoting pu (Reply 75):
I think the US3 have more or less locked down their respective markets and are actually giving up on competition - or call it capacity discipline if you prefer.

Not when it comes to corporate contracts, the battle will be messier than ever, but yes as far as individual flyers, with so few choices things like free upgrades will likely become a lot more restrictive if not almost completely non-existent. It makes more sense to price first class intelligently though rather than give it away. Mileage status will still get you in the priority lane though but with three network carriers left and 90% LDFs, they have little incentive to offer individual flyers more than that.

Brewfangrb

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:47 am

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 43):
I am absolutely floored by this thread. Do you know how life altering a DUI is? For it to be even mentioned, and then only met with minimal protest, is unconscionable. You go right back into talking about sandwiches as if nothing else had been brought up. Go through the experience, the consequences, and the grit as you rebuild your life. Then perhaps you won't make fun of it. You guys are truly appalling and completely immature. I joined here to explore the wonder of planes and I end up reading about stuff that I am trying to put behind me.

If I'm reading this right, you want us to not only not criticize Parker, but to have SYMPATHY for him? It seems you're alluding to your own history of having had a DUI and having to go "through the experience, the consequences, and the GRIT (lol!)"? Are you seriously serious? Parker committed a crime that could have killed someone. A person who has had a DUI deserves NOTHING from anyone for having to go through the experiences and consequences. The consequenes are exactly what are deserved. My God.

I guess everyone has different priorities. Some people have said "forget the wifi, IFE..." and give me a steak like Ruth's Chris. (That itself is truly mind-boggling--regardless of what we've paid for a first class fare, I can't understand how anyone could expect an airline to cook a steak like you'd get at a good steakhouse...or why you'd really want or expect one there).

For me, the meal is blip on a 4 hour flight. Otherwise, I'm stuck there--give me something to do! (Yeah, I'm sure the response there will be "read a book!" and as much as I love doing that, having a variety of activities is nice). I think on very long intl flights, meals are a necessity and given you might be flying 12 hours, they should be good. But a 4 hour flight across the US? No one's dying of hunger in 4 hours. I get that flights land at times at destinations where nothing is open and you might have to go overnight without food. But certainly then, you could eat before the flight. I'm not convinced it's as easy to make meals at the quality level people are demanding. OTOH, when you're flying in F, your fare is largely dictacted by a constraint of supply. But given the discrepancy between F and Y fares, it's baffling they couldn't spend even another $10 to provide a better quality meal.

N62NA

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:00 pm

Quoting brewfangrb (Reply 77):
But given the discrepancy between F and Y fares, it's baffling they couldn't spend even another $10 to provide a better quality meal.

Exactly. Or just raise the F ticket price $5 or $10 to cover the cost.

aajfksjubklyn

Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:12 pm

How about a proper negotiation with the caterer's who definitely have a monopoly on airline catering. Instead of cheating the customer, go after the vendors. How much could a first class meal cost on an airline anyway (On a typical 3+ domestic flight and a 5+ hour international)? I often wondered about this?

Its easier to go after the customer, then it is to negotiate with a provider. Its what I call the easy route.

N1120A

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:03 pm

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 62):
Oh and DUI-Doug = Smisek 2.0?

No. Dougie can admit a mistake and fix it. He did that with soft drink sales, and he did that with meal service.

Quoting AAplat4life (Reply 64):
I don't think that Parker has an advantage here over Smisek.

He definitely does.

Oh, I think the newer 757 seats are a big improvement over the Eisenhowers.

Quoting pu (Reply 75):
It's like people complaining about Delta's SkyMiles: look at their profits, not the number of free seats they give away.

SkyPesos is a rebate program, at this point. No reason to show loyalty. There is a reason AA has kept on all the PMAA people on the AAdvantage side - they are smart and know what a loyalty program is. They aren't going 4 tier, they aren't going UDU outside EXP, they are keeping SWUs the same, no sign of a rebate program...

AWACSooner

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:33 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 80):
No. Dougie can admit a mistake and fix it. He did that with soft drink sales, and he did that with meal service.

He may have done that with US stupidly charging for drinks, but based upon the quality of the meal I had in Y from LHR-RDU last Wednesday, it sure didn't look like that has improved at all! The international airlines are far and beyond better than that with their service.

questions

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:34 pm

What are the F seat widths on AA's narrow body fleet?

Doesn't AA domestic F have a seat pitch of 38-40" depending on aircraft type vs Delta's new a Race to the Bottom standard of 37" on new 739's and refurbished 757's?

klkla

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:37 pm

Quoting aajfksjubklyn (Reply 79):
How about a proper negotiation with the caterer's who definitely have a monopoly on airline catering. Instead of cheating the customer, go after the vendors.

The airlines choose the food, the recipes and the presentation. The caterers just prepare what the airlines buy for them and to their specifications. They are not the issue.

DDR

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:40 pm

Quoting aajfksjubklyn (Reply 79):

I too would be curious to know what it really costs the airlines for first class catering. I have always heard that the meals don't just cost 5 or 10 dollars but cost significantly more than that because of the delivery fees, etc.

Having said that, I think the "snack basket" that gets passed around first class is an insult based on what people pay to sit in first class. It's all cheap crap that you can buy at 7-11 and bring yourself.

uberflieger

Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:19 am

Flew US out of FRA this week in J. Lunch was excellent and standard AA. The tray set up came with a nice sized Caprese appetizer and smaller side salad. I chose the salmon entrée, which was delish and so substantial I didn't even have dessert.  
My one complaint is the bubbly, which has been downgraded to Prosecco. C'mon Dougie, bring back the real stuff      

afcjets

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:54 am

Quoting questions (Reply 82):

Doesn't AA domestic F have a seat pitch of 38-40" depending on aircraft type vs Delta's new a Race to the Bottom standard of 37" on new 739's and refurbished 757's?

Yes.

21 inch width on AA narrowbody domestic first class seat. Problem is it is a straight back chair like a coach seat or dining room chair, does not contour out like all other US airlines First Class seats always have including AA until they received the first 738. So the width at the seat is the same width at the top, which means above the armrest there is an unnecessary and awkward wide gap between a pair of seats, wide enough where you get a full view of passengers in front of you. You could even ask the passenger in front of you "wish I got the steak, looks good , can I have a bite?" If they said yes or were totally into their PTV, you could lean forward with your fork and take it right off their plate!  laughing 

[Edited 2015-03-20 21:13:16]

9w748capt

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:30 pm

and he did that with meal service.

The hell he has! Downgrading the meals to inedible was his first major move after the merger - and you know how well that was received. Pardon my language but he hasn't fixed jack $hit. All he'd have to do is return AA/LCC meals to pmAA quality, problem solved. But he's too cheap and greedy to do that. Yes, within a month of the new slop, Hector reversed some of the changes and upgraded the meat quality from dog food to Taco Bell quality, but since then, minimal to no improvements have been made.

Quoting klkla (Reply 83):
The airlines choose the food, the recipes and the presentation. The caterers just prepare what the airlines buy for them and to their specifications. They are not the issue.

Correct - the caterers are just working within the budget constraints presented by LCC.

Quoting uberflieger (Reply 85):
Flew US out of FRA this week in J. Lunch was excellent and standard AA. The tray set up came with a nice sized Caprese appetizer and smaller side salad.

Lucky you! FRA must not have flipped over to the new LCC standards just yet. Only a matter of time I assume. AA catering from non-US airports has always been far superior anyway.

He definitely does.

Smisek has brought UA to depths not previously known to the US airline industry, so no, in that sense, Dougie has a ways to go. But even SMI/J is trying to improve UA's food offerings, unlike LCC management.

questions

Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:47 pm

Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 86):

Quoting questions (Reply 82):

Yes.

21 inch width on AA narrowbody domestic first class seat. Problem is it is a straight back chair like a coach seat or dining room chair, does not contour out like all other US airlines First Class seats always have including AA until they received the first 738. So the width at the seat is the same width at the top, which means above the armrest there is an unnecessary and awkward wide gap between a pair of seats, wide enough where you get a full view of passengers in front of you. You could even ask the passenger in front of you "wish I got the steak, looks good , can I have a bite?" If they said yes or were totally into their PTV, you could lean forward with your fork and take it right off their plate!   

[Edited 2015-03-20 21:13:16]

Thanks. I re-googled some images and now understand.

What also strikes me is the open outer armrest. Delta is installing a similar design in F. I prefer the closed armrest on both sides because that's where I'll tuck a pillow, reading material, etc during flight, esp during meal service. I hate being able to do that on only one side of the seat.

On my last trip to the US I flew VX F ORD-SFO. I know people say VX transcon is now dated but I found the service and dinner on this ~4.5 hour flight to be top notch.

uberflieger

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:33 pm

Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 86):
Problem is it is a straight back

and the very reason I love it  
Love having my back supported sitting upright. Sitting straight up in the previous generation F narrowbody seats meant not having any back support, because the seatback was slightly reclined. The old seats also didn't have an adjustable headrest, and that really became bothersome when AA eliminated pillows on domestic flights.

Quoting questions (Reply 88):
I prefer the closed armrest on both sides because that's where I'll tuck a pillow, reading material, etc.

Below the outer armrest is space for all of that, really clever design!   

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 87):
FRA must not have flipped over to the new LCC standards just yet

In my experience the menu is identical no matter what European city I leave from. The exception is wine & champagne, and presentation. In J on 777, entrees are in casseroles, while they're being served on plates on all other airplanes. Go figure!  
Dessert actually has been upgraded with a 3rd choice, which AA did not have before the merger.

afcjets

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:58 pm

Quoting uberflieger (Reply 89):
Love having my back supported sitting upright. Sitting straight up in the previous generation F narrowbody seats meant not having any back support, because the seatback was slightly reclined. The old seats also didn't have an adjustable headrest, and that really became bothersome when AA eliminated pillows on domestic flights.

It is possible to have wider seats with back support and adjustable headrests. There is no reason for the wasted open space between the seats.

aajfksjubklyn

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:19 am

Well, I felt compelled to share a positive thought about service on AA I flew JFK-EGE yesterday, and honestly was surprised by the service and food which included ice cream I guess they are hearing the customer complaints

Thomaas

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:50 am

Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 90):
Quoting uberflieger (Reply 89):

It is possible to have wider seats with back support and adjustable headrests. There is no reason for the wasted open space between the seats.

Saving on weight maybe ?

MAH4546

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:14 am

As posted a elsewhere, another April 1st improvement is that on pasta service flights, FAs will be provisioned with Parmesan cheese and basil leaves to be added to pastas on passenger's request.
a.

uberflieger

Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:21 am

Quoting AFCJETS (Reply 90):
There is no reason for the wasted open space between the seats

There are lots of good reasons the 2 side by side seatbacks no longer bump up against each other like in the Jimmy Carter days, the least being waste  

Back on topic, which is about American's culinary offerings I believe   

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 93):
Parmesan cheese and basil leaves to be added to pastas on passenger's request

I have full confidence Senor Adler will snaz it up some more.   

eaglepower83

Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:17 pm

It's perplexing to me.
2 years ago I had a delicious brisket sandwich on pretzel roll for $9 on AA MIA-ORD.
It was quite delicious. And I'm sure it had a nice margin to AA.

If they kept serving good deli sandwiches like that, I'd totally buy more of those.
It was better, and healthier than some of the terminal offerings for sure.

OB1504

Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:48 am

Quoting EaglePower83 (Reply 95):
It's perplexing to me.
2 years ago I had a delicious brisket sandwich on pretzel roll for $9 on AA MIA-ORD.
It was quite delicious. And I'm sure it had a nice margin to AA.

If they kept serving good deli sandwiches like that, I'd totally buy more of those.
It was better, and healthier than some of the terminal offerings for sure.

I shudder at the thought of spending $3-$6 on snack foods, but I would happily spend $7-$10 on the inflight sandwiches. What a shame they don't stock them on flights under three hours or so.

F9Animal

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:21 am

Quoting irishayes (Reply 45):
personally, i think that is BS....when i buy a sandwich in the concourse and eat half of it on the ground and the other half in the air, i've personally never noticed any difference.

This is actually the answer to all airline food now. I remember when the food variety at the airport was garbage. I will snatch a subway sandwich before my flight. The crap served today on planes has me bringing my own now.
I Am A Different Animal!!

eaglepower83

Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:13 pm

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 96):

I shudder at the thought of spending $3-$6 on snack foods, but I would happily spend $7-$10 on the inflight sandwiches. What a shame they don't stock them on flights under three hours or so.

I know right?!
Who the hell wants a $4 giant bag of M&Ms? I don't have 4 kids with me.
I just want a nice sandwich. UA and AA used to have decent sandwiches, often cheaper or better than ones i'd find in the terminals.
Now they're gone :/
What a waste of possible revenue.

N1120A

Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:55 pm

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 87):
The hell he has! Downgrading the meals to inedible was his first major move after the merger - and you know how well that was received.

The meals were still more edible than UA, and they reversed course very quickly on the Miso Chicken disaster.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos