TYCOON
Topic Author

Electronic Cigarettes In Flight

Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:11 am

I've been meaning to raise this issue for a while now and seeing the new AF in-flight safety video where e-cigarettes are shown as forbidden, and AF has for a while been making on board announcements that e-cigarettes are included in the "No Smoking" policy, what is the general rule?
Reason I raise this was I was on a BA flight recently in Club Europe and a gentleman across the aisle was smoking his e-cigarette in flight. BA flight attendants passed by a few times and didn't comment or ask him to refrain from using it during flight. Was that just an oversight or do some airlines tolerate it?

phlsfo

RE: Electronic Cigarettes In Flight

Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:23 am

Most airlines lump them in with regular cigarettes for pax comfort reasons. The cabin would become very foggy if people were using their ecigs/mods inflight.

This should not be seen as cigarettes = e-cigarettes, because they certainly do not, but most vapers would agree that sitting on a long haul flight with vapor in your face the whole time would not be fun.

Andy33

Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:44 am

BA specifically state on their website that electronic cigarettes may not be used on board.

In more general terms, cabin crew have told me that e-cigarettes set off the smoke detectors in aircraft lavatories, and that one reason for banning them is the time wasted in investigating whether puffs of vapour rising from a row of seats are from e-cigarettes or smoke from actual cigarettes, quite apart from the irritation to other passengers already referred to.

zeke

Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:01 pm

I think I read recently the passive smoking risk with e-cigarettes was 6 times higher than normal cigarettes.

The actual mechanism is a battery with a heating element, which I would suggest poses a fire risk.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

rta

Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:09 pm

I would say in general, they're lumped together just because of how rarely I've seen it happen (I'd expect it to happen more frequently to be honest).

They really should be lumped together though. it can be irritating to other people. a lot of them give off annoying smells. I'm surprised BA didn't do anything, especially, since they are clearly forbidden.

seahawk

Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:40 pm

They should be forbidden. A woman on a train was using some kind of sweet, strawberry flavoured liquid, I dare not imagine sitting next to her in an airplane, I am sure I would have needed the paper bag.

jeffh747

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:25 pm

I "vape" pretty often myself. And as cool as these things may look, I would feel extremely sorry for my seatmate if they had to struggle with the fog from my vape through a long flight. Not to mention some mods can cause e-cigs to overheat (I think one checked in on a plane a few months ago forced the flight to return to the gate). Sure it's fun to use and play with, but certainly not for others around you. For the courtesy of other pax, just keep it away for a couple hours.
A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

phlsfo

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:27 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 3):

That simply isn't true.

As far as safety goes, as long as you use the device in the way it was intended you will be fine. Where people run into issues is with unregulated devices that connected the battery straight to the atomizer without and kind of MOFSET or regulation. Something that you definitely don't want to use on an aircraft.

pnwtraveler

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:39 pm

Electronic cigarettes have their own health issues which seem to grow by the day. Most restaurants as well are banning them just for comfort of non-smokers.

phlsfo

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:45 pm

Quoting jeffh747 (Reply 6):

Exactly. It's the people who don't have this same level of courtesy for others that give all vapers a bad name. I would never think of using one onboard a plane just for the sake of everyone else onboard.

pwm2txlhopper

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:49 pm

I use mine all the time on long flights. I just go into the restroom if they're banned. Since there's no burning or smoke, there's no left over smell. The vapor is simply water vapor, or steam. It's hilarious to be around anti-smoking types who start faking a cough when somebody's vaping and the byproduct is steam! You can even buy cartridges that produce no visible steam if you desire. You can sit right at your seat and use those and nobody notices because they can't see the steam. When they can see the steam and it looks like somebody's smokiing though, then ignorant people raise hell because it must be dangerous in their mind.

You could argue there's trace amounts on Nicotine released from e-cigs, but Nicotine itself isn't harmfull. It's the tars and byproducts of tobacco combustion that cause cancer and disease. Not Nicotine.

Quoting phlsfo (Reply 1):
Most airlines lump them in with regular cigarettes for pax comfort reasons. The cabin would become very foggy if people were using their ecigs/mods inflight.

This should not be seen as cigarettes = e-cigarettes, because they certainly do not, but most vapers would agree that sitting on a long haul flight with vapor in your face the whole time would not be fun.

This is an example or the general publics ignorance about e-cigs. There is no vapor that hangs around as smoke does. It's water vapor. The same as steam coming off cups of coffee and tea. Actual smoke has physical particle matter in it. Steam is just water.

When I got my e-cig it came with a card explaining that this device produces no smoke or burning matter of any kind. Nor do any state or federal no smoking laws apply to the use of this device in enclosed spaces. At the time, e-cigs were still so what of a novelty. I'd use them in bars and somebody would always go running to the bouncers claiming I was smoking. At first they'd try to tell me I couldn't, even after showing them the card. However, now five years later, I see people use them all the time in bars without issue.

Simple fact, if e-cigs really produced lingering vapor and odor the I would have been met by police after landing more than a few times after vaping on planes in the restroom. Nobody notices though because there is no odor or haze left over. The only time people notice is when somebody's vapong in front of them and they want to make a stink. When it's done discreetly, nobody notices.

I actually did a test a while back using my friends girlfriend who does the fake cough thing when I've vaped my e-cig in the car or house with her. Took a ride to the store with them. They went inside. I sat in her car with windows up and vaped for 15 minutes straight while they were inside. When they came back and got into the car, neither of them could tell I'd been vaping. I asked them the next day if they had noticed any smell or "smoke" in the car. She answered no, and said if I'd been "smoking" they both would have noticed it as soon as they got in the car. I proceeded to show them video I recorded on my phone vaping in her car. All made up complaints of my e-cig smell have since ceased when I use it around her.

[Edited 2015-03-18 09:00:29]

[Edited 2015-03-18 09:17:04]

zeke

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:53 pm

Quoting phlsfo (Reply 7):
As far as safety goes, as long as you use the device in the way it was intended you will be fine. Where people run into issues is with unregulated devices that connected the battery straight to the atomizer without and kind of MOFSET or regulation. Something that you definitely don't want to use on an aircraft.

Explain this then

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...es-about-fire-risk-of-e-cigarettes
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

rta

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:16 pm

Quoting pwm2txlhopper (Reply 10):
Since there's no burning or smoke, there's no left over smell. The vapor is simply water vapor, or steam. It's hilarious to be around anti-smoking types who start faking a cough when somebody's vaping and the byproduct is steam!

Just because its not giving off smoke, it doesn't mean its not bothersome for others. And a lot of those vapes give off annoying smells, depending on what kind of cartridge they're using.

The simple solution is just to prohibit these from being used onboard.

varsity

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:23 pm

Haven't been TATL since this was a thing, but B6 specifically mentions in the pre-flight that they are banned.
AB3, DC8, DC9, DH7, D10, E90, M80, M88, 320, 321, 330, 722, 737, 733, 734, 738, 747, 744, 757, 752, 753, 772
AA, AF, B6, CO, DL, EA, EI, FI, HP, KM, LX, MS, NW, OP, PA, TW, UA, US, VS, W9, WO, YX

sierra3tango

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:26 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 12):
annoying smells

Errr... so you've never sat next to a Pax who's giving off an annoying smell, totally unrelated to smoking?

phlsfo

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:26 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 11):

E-cigarettes use Lithium-Ion batteries. As mandated by many airlines, Lithium-Ion batteries are not to be place in checked luggage. Same goes with a battery for a camera, laptop, or just loose rechargeable batteries. This is not a rick specific to e-cigs.

But it is not water vapor. There is no water in your e-juice. It is propolyne-glycol, vegetable glycerine, nicotine and whatever flavorings that particular juice has in it. I'm not saying they are bad by any means, but it is ignorant just to say that it is simply "water", when it really isn't.

AT

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:31 pm

Emirates (and I think EY and QR as well) ban e-cigarettes too.

rta

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:31 pm

Quoting sierra3tango (Reply 14):
Errr... so you've never sat next to a Pax who's giving off an annoying smell, totally unrelated to smoking?

Right, so if we can't control one thing, we shouldn't control anything at all?
But to answer your question, no. Even so, these e-cigs are extremely likely to make smells that are not just noticeable to the people near the smoking passenger, but the entire cabin.

wingman

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:34 pm

I don't smoke myself but would agree that if you have the right vaper and it works as advertised..just hit the lavs and get your fix.

As for the smell, anyone that doesn't like bad smells shouldn't get on an airplane in the first place. There aren't many places worse than airplanes. Between fuel, body order, and the ultimate culprit (the stealth wind passer), it's not a great place for people offended by bad smells.

I recall a debate long ago over late night drinks with a group of road warriors on the best techniques for tummy relief. The best of all was "crop dusting". This technique involved ensuring, first and foremost, that you had tight control (maybe loose control would be more apt), over the audible portion of the exercise. Execution was simple, let loose while walking briskly down the aisle towards the lav and then make a 180 to take in your handy work.

Now ask those unwitting victims what's better, getting vaped or getting dusted?

Andy33

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:36 pm

Quoting AT (Reply 16):

Indeed, even possessing an e-cigarette is a criminal offence in the UAE. Its hardly surprising that airlines (EK, EY) based there don't allow them.

twal1011727

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:37 pm

You could argue there's trace amounts on Nicotine released from e-cigs, but Nicotine itself isn't harmfull. It's the tars and byproducts of tobacco combustion that cause cancer and disease. Not Nicotine.

Do you all know that IATA classifies Nicotine as a toxic substance in its pure form.
Page 276 of the 56th ed 2015 IATA DGRs UN1654 class 6.1

If you want to put that into your lungs, even with an e-cig go for it....but not on my flight.

KD

rta

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:39 pm

Quoting wingman (Reply 18):
As for the smell, anyone that doesn't like bad smells shouldn't get on an airplane in the first place. There aren't many places worse than airplanes. Between fuel, body order, and the ultimate culprit (the stealth wind passer), it's not a great place for people offended by bad smells.

That's not the point.
The other issue with this, many people don't want people's "water vapor" to get near them. I don't like when people smoke those e-cigs and their "water vapor" gets near me. It gets in my personal space and makes me uncomfortable.

You want to smoke that, I don't care. Just don't make other people have to do it.
People who need to smoke shouldn't be on a plane in the first place.

pwm2txlhopper

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:49 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 12):

Since there's no burning or smoke, there's no left over smell. The vapor is simply water vapor, or steam. It's hilarious to be around anti-smoking types who start faking a cough when somebody's vaping and the byproduct is steam!

Just because its not giving off smoke, it doesn't mean its not bothersome for others. And a lot of those vapes give off annoying smells, depending on what kind of cartridge they're using.

The simple solution is just to prohibit these from being

[quote=phlsfo,reply=15]

Well, it only bothers others when the placebo effect hits them. When people are using cartridges that produce no visible vapor, the same people who would be coughing and raising hell otherwise are suddenly mute. It's all in their head.

If we're going to ban them for allegedly producing sweet funny smells, then I guess we should also ban passengers from using perfume and cologne? When you're in public, you have to deal with things like smelling other people cologne, breath, food, drink etc.

Quote:
But it is not water vapor. There is no water in your e-juice. It is propolyne-glycol, vegetable glycerine, nicotine and whatever flavorings that particular juice has in it. I'm not saying they are bad by any means, but it is ignorant just to say

Anything liquid that produces steam has water in it. Including propolyne-glycol and vegetable glycerine. The same chemicals found in cake frostings and food colorings that we've been consuming with FDA approval for decades without problems.

wingman

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:50 pm

That's why I'm saying, just like gas, you should take it to the lav. If you get caught you pay the price. I'm not defending its usage in the cabin. But I would personally vote for vapor in my face over particulates. And I get the latter on at least 50% of my flights.

pwm2txlhopper

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:59 pm

Quoting TWAL1011727 (Reply 20):

Do you all know that IATA classifies Nicotine as a toxic substance in its pure form.

If you want to put that into your lungs, even with an e-cig go for it....but not on my flight.

KD

If I'm on your flight I'll be using mine with vapor less cartridges like I always do without problems. What you don't know won't hurt you.

Hell, considering it takes one about 30+ years of daily smoking before getting sick and dying, I'd venture you could even fly on an actual smoking flight on occasion for years with little effect on your health? Non-smokers lived in smoking society for years, and for the most park the majority didn't get sick. These days smoking just isn't PC. Most people opposed to smoking use the guise of public health when the real issue is they just think it's stinky and nasty and don't want to be around it,

[Edited 2015-03-18 09:59:38]

phlsfo

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:00 pm

Quoting pwm2txlhopper (Reply 22):

I'm not disagreeing with you on the health risks or whats in the juice. What I am saying is that it is wrong to refer to it as water vapor, as it is not water.

rta

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:08 pm

Quoting wingman (Reply 23):
But I would personally vote for vapor in my face over particulates.

Why should you have to put up with either?

pwm2txlhopper

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:10 pm

Does anybody opposed to inhaling trace amounts e-cig steam ever consider how much oxygen they inhale at the airport curbside that's rich with the pollutants and carginogenic byproducts from tens of thousands of gallons of burning jet fuel, as well as diesel and gasoline from all the taxis and busses coming in and out? And god forbid, all the secondhand smoke from people smoking outside the terminal?

Honestly, which one is more toxic?

[Edited 2015-03-18 10:11:30]

rta

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:19 pm

Quoting pwm2txlhopper (Reply 27):

Does anybody opposed to inhaling trace amounts e-cig steam ever consider how much oxygen they inhale at the airport curbside that's rich with the pollutants and carginogenic byproducts from tens of thousands of gallons of burning jet fuel, as well as diesel and gasoline from all the taxis and busses coming in and out? And god forbid, all the secondhand smoke from people smoking outside the terminal?

Honestly, which one is more toxic?

Those are designated smoking areas and those people have the option to go stand elsewhere or go inside.
Not the same when you're in a pressurized tube with other people for many hours.

qqflyboy

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:21 pm

As cabin crew we've been told e-cigs are banned due to the heating element inside. The use of heating elements (even chemical only), are prohibited on aircraft.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

seahawk

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:24 pm

I wonder why people think vapour is water. Any fluid evaporates at a certain temperature and the liquids usually contain mostly propylene glycol (PG), glycerin (G), and/or polyethylene glycol 400. Now I am not sure I want to be forced to inhale anti-freeze.

AT

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:38 pm

Quoting Andy33 (Reply 19):
Indeed, even possessing an e-cigarette is a criminal offence in the UAE. Its hardly surprising that airlines (EK, EY) based there don't allow them.

Is that true? If so surprising, given that they allow several other forms of smoking...

D L X

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:43 pm

Here's how I feel about it:

I don't smoke. I don't want to smell like smoke, and I don't want to have nicotine in my system. E-cigs only prevent part of that.

OBVIOUSLY there is stuff in the vapor that e-cig smokers get that brings them satisfaction. Whether you believe it is an addiction or not, the vapor has ingredients in it that smokers like. I don't begrudge them seeking that satisfaction, but their exhaust still has a lot of that stuff in it that I don't want in me. It is not steam. And breathing the vapor that has been in someone else's lungs is really quite gross.

For those reasons I would not like to be near e-cig smokers in public, so I sure as hell don't want to be near them in an enclosed space like an airplane. I would support a ban.

readytotaxi

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:43 pm

From the BA website.

http://ukprepin.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4579

A no no.

[Edited 2015-03-18 11:34:04]
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

JetBuddy

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:06 pm

What comes out of the e-cig is just water vapor. It doesn't smell, and it doesn't stick to your clothes. If anything, people should be vaping as much as possible to increase the humidity onboard the plane.      

NathanH

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:12 pm

Quoting JetBuddy (Reply 34):
What comes out of the e-cig is just water vapor.

No.

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2014/05/114...ater-vapor-and-should-be-regulated

"The report also tackles secondhand exposure.

“E-cigarettes do not burn or smolder the way conventional cigarettes do, so they do not emit side-stream smoke; however, bystanders are exposed to aerosol exhaled by the user,” said the authors. Toxins and nicotine have been measured in that aerosol, such as formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acetic acid and other toxins emitted into the air, though at lower levels compared to conventional cigarette emissions."

D L X

I don't believe that for a second.

If it were just water vapor, why would anyone smoke it, when a hot wet rag gets you the same?

And if it is not _just_ water vapor when someone smokes it, why would it just be water vapor when someone exhales it?

WildcatYXU

Quoting seahawk (Reply 30):
I wonder why people think vapour is water. Any fluid evaporates at a certain temperature and the liquids usually contain mostly propylene glycol (PG), glycerin (G), and/or polyethylene glycol 400. Now I am not sure I want to be forced to inhale anti-freeze.

You'd be surprised how much propylene glycol have you eaten and drank during your life. It's a very often used food additive. Glycerol (glycerin) is a food additive as well, so I'm certain you've ingested some during your life too. PEG 400 is widely used in pharmaceutical industry and is considered non toxic. So nobody is forcing you to inhale anti-freeze.

All that said, I agree with all the posters saying that nobody should use the e-cigs while seated in an aircraft cabin.

[Edited 2015-03-18 12:14:19]
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

lewis

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:40 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 11):
Explain this then

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...es-about-fire-risk-of-e-cigarettes

I can give you a lot of stories of laptop/phone batteries catching fire and/or exploding. Is the use of those items forbidden onboard?

Quoting sierra3tango (Reply 14):

Quoting rta (Reply 12):
annoying smells

I want to throw up every time I walk into a full cabin. The smells coming from everyone would overpower even a normal cigarette smell.

Quoting D L X (Reply 32):

Here's how I feel about it:

I don't smoke. I don't want to smell like smoke, and I don't want to have nicotine in my system. E-cigs only prevent part of that.

OBVIOUSLY there is stuff in the vapor that e-cig smokers get that brings them satisfaction. Whether you believe it is an addiction or not, the vapor has ingredients in it that smokers like. I don't begrudge them seeking that satisfaction, but their exhaust still has a lot of that stuff in it that I don't want in me. It is not steam. And breathing the vapor that has been in someone else's lungs is really quite gross.

For those reasons I would not like to be near e-cig smokers in public, so I sure as hell don't want to be near them in an enclosed space like an airplane. I would support a ban.

On principle I totally agree with you. In reality, the crap you breathe every time you step out of your house (hell, inside your house too) are thousands of times more harmful than inhaling vape 24/7. I don't say that just because we breathe polluted air on a daily basis we should put up with more but the outrage is silly.

32andBelow

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:41 pm

Quoting lewis (Reply 38):
I can give you a lot of stories of laptop/phone batteries catching fire and/or exploding. Is the use of those items forbidden onboard?

The amount of modifications some of these have made by companies that aren't apple and lenovo...It would be hard to compare.

b747400erf

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:11 pm

Quoting pwm2txlhopper (Reply 24):

Hell, considering it takes one about 30+ years of daily smoking before getting sick and dying, I'd venture you could even fly on an actual smoking flight on occasion for years with little effect on your health? Non-smokers lived in smoking society for years, and for the most park the majority didn't get sick. These days smoking just isn't PC. Most people opposed to smoking use the guise of public health when the real issue is they just think it's stinky and nasty and don't want to be around it,

You claim to know the real reason people are opposed to smoking including vaping? So health issues besides carcinogens such as asthma and allergies is labelled politically correct? Let me turn the tables and tell you it sure looks to me like people always complaining about political correctness are only angry they are called out for their selfish and clueless behavior that affects others around them. From conservatives complaining they cannot be racist or use veiled racist dog whistles to anger that women are becoming more equal the old 1950's world where you could do anything you wanted and everyone around you "knew their place" is thankfully gone and your mentality is going with it.

D L X

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Quoting lewis (Reply 38):
On principle I totally agree with you. In reality, the crap you breathe every time you step out of your house (hell, inside your house too) are thousands of times more harmful than inhaling vape 24/7. I don't say that just because we breathe polluted air on a daily basis we should put up with more but the outrage is silly.

In reality, I avoid all that crap you're talking about too. I would not CHOOSE to introduce that crap on a plane.

There is nothing silly about this being outrageous.

lewis

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:31 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 41):
In reality, I avoid all that crap you're talking about too.

So you never walk down the street? You do not inhale car/bus exhaust fumes? You are never close to someone grilling on a bbq? Unless you wear a gas mask every time you walk outside your house then you aren't avoiding anything.

Quoting D L X (Reply 41):
There is nothing silly about this being outrageous.
Quoting D L X (Reply 32):
For those reasons I would not like to be near e-cig smokers in public

Let's agree to disagree then. Sometimes people just like to be outraged. And for the record, I do not vape.

csavel

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:34 am

Quoting TWAL1011727 (Reply 20):

And nicotine is *sold* at many garden shops as an insecticide? A damned good one too.

Quoting D L X (Reply 36):

I don't believe that for a second.

If it were just water vapor, why would anyone smoke it, when a hot wet rag gets you the same?

And if it is not _just_ water vapor when someone smokes it, why would it just be water vapor when someone exhales it?

Yep, the "it's just water vapor" stuff is simply not true. I will admit the second hand smoke from a vaper isn't like second hand smoke from a conventional cigarette, but to claim it is just water vapor is flying in the face of reality.

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 37):
You'd be surprised how much propylene glycol have you eaten and drank during your life. It's a very often used food additive. Glycerol (glycerin) is a food additive as well, so I'm certain you've ingested some during your life too. PEG 400 is widely used in pharmaceutical industry and is considered non toxic. So nobody is forcing you to inhale anti-freeze.

Just because propylene glycol is eaten doesn't mean it is good for it to be *inhaled* Water is great for drinking. I get my 8 glasses. But inhaling water? I think that is called drowning.

OK so that was snarky but I couldn't resist. My point, however, is that things that we eat that are harmless can be very bad inhaled AND vice versa. Tea tree oil is great for topical use on the skin, toxic if ingested - even in tiny amounts.

People who work in flour mills often get debilitating ling diseases becaous of flour dust.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

solarflyer22

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:33 am

1st off, GREAT thread question. I've noticed varying policies as well so I think its airline driven.

Quoting TYCOON (Thread starter):
Was that just an oversight or do some airlines tolerate it?

I don't think it violates Federal law so its airline driven.

True, its just like the patch. I have seen and smelled Cannabis oil which is often used with Vapes. I personally would not anything with an odor on flights. My guess is they will be banned eventually.

Powdered Alcohol is coming out soon as well. Soon you can snort it or vape it and get wasted. lol. Let the mayhem ensue.

cal764

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:35 am

Bah, just take it in the bathroom..won't become a distraction or cause discomfort in others, won't have to worry about tripping the smoke detector and you'll probably leave the bathroom smelling better than you found it. No harm done..?
1. Fly to Win 2. Fund Future 3. Reliability 4. Work Together CO: Work Hard, Fly Right...

opethfan

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:48 am

You made the stupid, idiotic, ridiculous, inexcusable, laughable decision to get a habit / addiction that anyone born in the last 50-60 years knows is going to only cause you and those around you discomfort and suffering with no conceivable benefit.

So deal with it and leave me as far away from the ramifications of your poor judgement. Ban it all and if you can get away with it in the washroom, no harm no foul.

What if I slept around without protection and got a nasty rash on the ol chap? No one wants to be in a tube with someone who keeps scratching down there, and it doesn't matter whether or not I wear single use gloves and hand sanitize so much that Purel host a party for me on landing. It's gross, inconsiderate toward others, goes against our conventions of proper behaviour in public, and is my fault and my fault only.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:22 am

For those of us with Asthma... e-cigarettes may cause problems. Not necessarily as bad as tobacco smoke; but, to claim that there is no harm from the vapor to an asthmatic lung is not true.

Have a great day,

Beatyair

Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:29 am

Bad idea, kill that one,

D L X

Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:56 am

Quoting lewis (Reply 42):
So you never walk down the street?

Sure I do.

You do not inhale car/bus exhaust fumes?

By CHOICE? ABsolutely not! WTF?

You are never close to someone grilling on a bbq?

When I CHOOSE to be, yes.

Unless you wear a gas mask every time you walk outside your house then you aren't avoiding anything.

Baloney. Your counterarguments are downright silly. In each of the examples you gave, all outdoors, I am able to avoid those things. I can hold my nose for the second or two they are present, or I can simply choose to distance myself from them. That is not the case on a plane, is it?

Sometimes people just like to be outraged.

And sometimes people just choose to be contrary.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos