Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Miami
Topic Author

MIA Wants EVA Air/China Airlines

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:01 pm

MIA officials are trying convince Asian airlines to fly nonstop flights to MIA.

Last week, Aviation director, Emilio Gonzalez traveled to Taipei to have meetings with key Asian airline executives and government officials to discuss possible Miami-Asia passenger service in the future.

Quote:
González’ busy agenda included meetings with airline executives from the Republic of China’s flag carrier China Airlines, which is based at Taipei’s Taoyuan International Airport, and with Taiwan-based EVA Air. The MDAD Director met with two of China Airlines’ top officials: Senior Vice President Hsiao-Hsing Tung and Assistant Vice President for Corporate Development Alex Tung. He also met with Andrew Su, Deputy Senior Vice President for Corporate Planning for EVA Air. Additionally, González met with the Senior Vice President of Taipei’s Taoyuan International Airport, Jerry Dann. Like MIA, Taoyuan is a leading world hub for both international passengers and international freight traffic.

“Our MIA team is being very deliberate in its efforts to bring direct Asia passenger service to Miami for the first time,” said González. “Traveling to this untapped market and holding face-to-face meetings with high-level decision-makers is essential to the process, and it puts Miami squarely on the radar of these expanding Asian carriers. Taipei is a natural Asian hub that offers travelers easy access to the Chinese mainland, Southeast Asia, South Korea and Japan, so connecting it with MIA’s Latin America-Caribbean gateway makes perfect sense.”
http://www.thenextmiami.com/index.ph...e-airlines-to-fly-nonstop-to-asia/

IMO, it's not a matter of if but a matter of when MIA would see its first Asian airline. MIA-NRT makes the most sense, but AA might start that route. MIA just wants it's first Asian Airline.

What's your thoughts on this? MIA-TPE in the future with EVA Air or China Airlines??  

-Miami   
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

IAHflyer97

RE: MIA Wants EVA Air/China Airlines

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:11 pm

MIA-TPE is a loooooooong flight! Heck, the upcoming IAH-TPE flight is already about 15 hours. TPE from MIA probably won't end up happening (but I've been wrong before). There's not really anythung MIA can do that LAX, SFO and now IAH can't handle going out that way.

Now NRT on the other hand is the likely candidate. I'm surprised JAL hasn't put a 788 there yet! But it's been that way for years. Again, I've been wrong before, but Tokyo needs to happen before anyone starts TPE from MIA

And technically they already have an Asian airline in QR. They're doing just fine!

[Edited 2015-03-18 13:12:44]
A man is only as big as the amount of strings on his guitar.

Miami
Topic Author

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:15 pm

Quoting IAHflyer97 (Reply 1):
MIA-TPE is a loooooooong flight! Heck, the upcoming IAH-TPE flight is already about 15 hours.

MIA-TPE is 8651 mi

IAH-TPE is 7939 mi

It is pretty long..

I'm surprised JAL hasn't put a 788 there yet!
Tokyo needs to happen before anyone starts TPE from MIA

Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

thekorean

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:26 pm

I would not fly to TPE to fly to MIA from ICN or NRT.

Its too far out of the way.

IAHflyer97

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:32 pm

And here's another thing. MIA is completely untapped to East Asia right now. NRT is the safe bet to test the waters. Alliance ties, a shorter distance with connections to pretty much anywhere in Asia.

BR or CI would be reliant on mainly a local market with limited alliance feed on the MIA end. Not saying it won't be done, but it's highly unlikely.

[Edited 2015-03-18 13:35:15]
A man is only as big as the amount of strings on his guitar.

adamh8297

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:38 pm

Quoting IAHflyer97 (Reply 4):
a shorter distance with connections to pretty much anywhere in Asia.

Got to be careful of timing with NRT. NRT-BOS had to be retimed with the plane sitting overnight in BOS to maximize connections.

In my opinion the best for MIA would be - KE ICN-MIA with a codeshare by their new friend AA.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

migair54

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:44 pm

TPE-MIA!!!! it won´t happen, it´s as long as the former SIN-LAX, so for this flight to be viable we are talking about very high yields, and high loads on a 7.500NM journey. I only see any of that airlines in MIA if it´s with a stop somewhere.

I don´t even think that CI or BR have any plane capable of doing the journey with a decent payload.

I think we could see JAL trying in the future having AA in MIA could help, still difficult market.

Now NRT on the other hand is the likely candidate. I'm surprised JAL hasn't put a 788 there yet! But it's been that way for years. Again, I've been wrong before, but Tokyo needs to happen before anyone starts TPE from MIA

Agree.

I think Mr Gonzalez should have flown to Tokyo or Seoul, better chances and better connectivity than TPE. Specially Korean has a very extensive network to China and South East Asia.

If they can get KE or JAL to South East Asia, China, Korea and Japan and Qatar to India, Iran, Pakistan and Middle east they will have a good coverage, maybe adding EK in the future will be extraordinary.

MAH4546

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:47 pm

A non-stop between Miami and Taipei is not happening. MIA is probably tapping into the Taiwanese carriers because the average fare between Miami and Taipei is very high - $1,400 o/w. Small market, great premium demand. Maybe hoping one of them will fly via Tokyo or Toronto, but I doubt that would happen.
a.

Miami
Topic Author

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:50 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 5):
In my opinion the best for MIA would be - KE ICN-MIA with a codeshare by their new friend AA.

I personally want to see that the most. As there was rumors of Korean planning to start MIA on a 787.

Quoting migair54 (Reply 6):
I think Mr Gonzalez should have flown to Tokyo or Seoul, better chances and better connectivity than TPE.

Exactly what I was thinking as well.

trex8

Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:37 pm

Taiwan-Japan ASA allows flights via IIRC KIX, NRT to US destinations. CI runs 3 cargo flights weekly to MIA. BR none. Maybe CI might try a 77W TPE-NRT-MIA but a daily flight still gives you only maybe half the cargo capacity of those 744Fs plus they tramp to SEA, IAH, SFO on the way back to TPE. Maybe a 3-4x weekly 77w and two 744F/week and then the pax are all gravy.

LAXdude1023

Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:49 pm

Of course they do.

They should stick to more attainable goals like a flight to NRT or Emirates.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

TWA772LR

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:06 am

NRT should, and most likely will happen first before TPE.

Slightly OT, what are the chances of a CX HKG-YVR-MIA flight?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

rta

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:12 am

Quoting Miami (Thread starter):
MIA just wants it's first Asian Airline.

Technically, MIA has QR.
But to East Asia, I would really like a nonstop flight to Japan on a OW carrier.

VCEflyboy

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:13 am

With the current bilaterals, the chance is 0. CX is only allowed fo fly one US destination from YVR and JFK makes the most sense.

Miami
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:27 am

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 13):
With the current bilaterals, the chance is 0.

That Cathay starts MIA? I hope you know CX has MIA in it's future book. Sure, it may not happen now or the next 5 years, but you can't say there's no chance.

CX is only allowed fo fly one US destination from YVR and JFK makes the most sense.

I'm sure they can get YVR, YYC, or Quoting rta (Reply 12):
I would really like a nonstop flight to Japan on a OW carrier.

So you pretty much mean JAL?

[Edited 2015-03-18 17:28:30]

rta

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:53 am

Quoting Miami (Reply 14):
So you pretty much mean JAL?

Unless AA wants to do it  
To be honest, I'd be fine even if ANA did it. But there would be better connections on OW, and that would more likely make the route successful.

VCEflyboy

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:03 am

Quoting Miami (Reply 14):

With the current bilaterals, the chance is 0.

That Cathay starts MIA? I hope you know CX has MIA in it's future book. Sure, it may not happen now or the next 5 years, but you can't say there's no chance.

CX is only allowed fo fly one US destination from YVR and JFK makes the most sense.

I'm sure they can get YVR, YYC, or

What I am saying is the current CANADA HK bilaterals allow CX and AC to fly ONE 5th freedom flight each only.
CX has been operating YVR JFK and they have been doing very well so there is no sign they will discountinue it any time soon. So unless the current bilaterals change, there is 0 chance of any other CX 5th freedom flight from Canada to the US as this would not be legally allowed.
CX is free to start MIA any day, but not from Canada, at least not unless they terminate the JFK tag or the bilaterals are amended.

continental004

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:15 am

TPE-MIA will be longer than SYD-DFW, with no meaningful feed at either end. NRT on AA/JL is a better bet.

TWA772LR

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:29 am

With the current bilaterals, the chance is 0. CX is only allowed fo fly one US destination from YVR and JFK makes the most sense.

Can a 77W not make HKG-JFK nonstop? What does CX fly into EWR?

They can just shift the YVR-JFK flight to MIA and offer JFK nonstop. One world ties on both ends and you can tackle MIA-YVR for the snowbirds ftr a little extra cash.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

VCEflyboy

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:36 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 18):
Can a 77W not make HKG-JFK nonstop? What does CX fly into EWR?

It can and it does. CX flies to JFK both direct and with a stop-over in YVR.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 18):
They can just shift the YVR-JFK flight to MIA and offer JFK nonstop. One world ties on both ends and you can tackle MIA-YVR for the snowbirds ftr a little extra cash.

This will be a bloodbath. There are countless of one-stop options from YVR to MIA and not massive demand I am afraid.
On the other hand, CX was until recently the only direct option between YVR and JFK, and CX enjoys a strong reputation at YVR.

rotating14

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:39 am

I think we had a thread like this one not too far back. I'm sure that the officials at MIA are pretty smart and knowledgeable but what types of pax are coming from Asia to Miami connecting from LAX or SEA. I'm in no way denying the Asian connection from MIA to TPE and the like but I'm guessing if this untapped market has been untapped in 2015, I'm guessing that it's that way for a reason that we (I specifically) don't know.

For obvious reasons it seems AA would've tried to this already but couldn't because of the sheer distance and/or because the numbers don't work. With the 788, TPE-LAX/SEA is doable but it seems like a huge investment/gamble for unknown returns.

flyinghippo

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:41 am

CI is in SkyTeam and BR is Star - both has little to no presence in MIA - I don't think this would be profitable.

Also as some have already mentioned, the longest range for BR and CI currently is 77W, which would take a severe penalty MIA-TPE. Even after CI received their 359, I don't think they will do it.

The only market I can see both BR or CI will go for is Panama via MIA... but I think they can do a tag on with IAH when TPE-IAH starts.

iahmark

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:41 am

MIA is Latin centric I don’t think is a business case for O&D…maybe, just maybe for tourism but Florida has MCO for that, unless they manage to convince future travelers from Asia to go to the Caribbean /Bahamas thru MIA I don’t see it happening.

29erUSA187

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:50 am

Maybe, although now that they serve JFK and EWR nonstop, it may make sense to change the YVR flight. Or have it route through ANC, or YYC, or heck, even SEA

VCEflyboy

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:09 am

I wouldn't expect any huge surprise from CX. They are traditionally extremely cautious in their decision-making.
Their latest routes had been in the works for years, and they always tend to increase frequency to current destinations rather than starting new ones.

About YYC, there is no plan CX will fly there for the time being. The media speculation happened because some CX executive at the launch of the YYC cargo route said that YYC was under consideration as a future passenger destination, a statement which was quickly dismissed by the airline. JFK has been doing very well and is here to stay.

777Jet

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:25 am

IMO, it's not a matter of if but a matter of when MIA would see its first Asian airline.

Agreed that it's not a matter of if - it's a matter of when.

I could see it happening within 2 years but possibly sooner.

The harder question to answer is: Will it be AA metal flying to Asia or will Asian metal be comming to town?

More on that below...

MIA-NRT makes the most sense, but AA might start that route. MIA just wants it's first Asian Airline.

Given the OneWorld ties, JAL metal to MIA is a possibility. JAL have Dreamliners too which are ideal to start up such routes. If AA start MIA-NRT then IMO we won't see JAL to MIA so then who would the first Asian non-stop carrier into MIA be given that NRT is the Asian destination that makes the most sense and there is no way that I can see two carriers operating MIA-NRT (perhaps JAL could do 4x weekly and AA do 3x weekly! - problem solved!). Perhaps if AA is really considering such a route they need to work on a deal that would see JAL operate the route instead?

[Edited 2015-03-18 21:27:58]
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

Fastphilly

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:02 am

As long as AA is offering non-stop flights to Asia from DFW, I don't see AA flying MIA to Asia. I seriously doubt AA is going to overfly their super hub to serve a small O&D market with weak yields. The O&D pool MIA has for Asia bound passengers is enough to be absorbed by one stop connections through DFW, LAX and SFO.

The DFW flights depend on connection feed to fill those TPAC which includes feed from the South Florida region.

MAH4546

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:20 am

Quoting Fastphilly (Reply 26):
I seriously doubt AA is going to overfly their super hub to serve a small O&D market with weak yields.

While you have your opinion, there is no "opinion" about the size of an O&D market. Miami-Asia is not a small O&D market by any means. At 750+ PDEW and growing, It is the largest U.S.-Asia local market without a non-stop. Orlando is the second largest.
a.

777Jet

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:47 am

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 27):
I seriously doubt AA is going to overfly their super hub to serve a small O&D market with weak yields.

While you have your opinion, there is no "opinion" about the size of an O&D market. Miami-Asia is not a small O&D market by any means. At 750+ PDEW and growing, It is the largest U.S.-Asia local market without a non-stop. Orlando is the second largest.

In addition, with more efficient twins like the 787 (which AA has) making routes that once seemed unlikely actually happen, the idea that carriers are not going to start new routes if it means overflying their superhub is no longer as relevant as it might have been in the past.

Like you say, MIA-Asia is no small O&D market and is the largest USA-Asia local market without a non-stop. Now that the 787 is around and AA is looking at expanding TPAC, I would not rule out MIA-NRT. Who would have thought BA would have started LHR-AUS before the arrival of the 787?

As I previously said, I think a non-stop from MIA to Asia is just a matter of time and I can see it happening within two years.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

VCEflyboy

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:15 am

Personally I think the only factor that matters here is how much MIA is willing to fork out to fish an airline flying to Asia.
Eventually these subsidies will make the difference between profit and loss.
Neither TPE nor HKG make ideal hubs for Northeast Asia - the most strategic part.
I also dont buy the "787 will make it work because it is more efficient" argument because it is only valid if you are flying the 787 and the rest of the world is not. In reality, in a few years the 787 will be today's 767, just like the a350 will be today's a330, and all major airlines will be flying those, therefore the competitive advantage argument goes out of the window.

777Jet

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:28 am

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 29):
I also dont buy the "787 will make it work because it is more efficient" argument because it is only valid if you are flying the 787 and the rest of the world is not.

I disagree.

Why didn't BA launch LHR-AUS with a 772 or anything else they had in their fleet before the 787-8 arrived?

Why didn't UA launch LAX-MEL before the 787-9 arrived?

There are other routes as examples.

These airlines, among others, pretty much started these new routes not long after they got the right type of plane on their property - and it just happened to be a 787.

I doesn't really matter if other airlines are also operating 787s or not. If you want to start a route and the numbers are not justified with type A and then type B arrives into the fleet and the numbers look much better and justify giving the route a try then maybe it is time to consider starting the route, no?

ORDJOE

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:48 pm

The only wild card I could see with this would be if the MIA airport and or chamber of commerce would offer some sort of subsidy.

My thought though is AA or JL 788 is probably the only real viable option. That is long enough, anything deeper into asia is a true ULH route.

I also dont buy the "787 will make it work because it is more efficient" argument because it is only valid if you are flying the 787 and the rest of the world is not. In reality, in a few years the 787 will be today's 767, just like the a350 will be today's a330, and all major airlines will be flying those, therefore the competitive advantage argument goes out of the window.

I would have to disagree. Add to the list BOS SJC SAN to NRT. While the 788 is not going to make as many routes as some were talking about 10 years ago like STL-NRT it does give the right size and range to open routes that would just not work on a 772 or bigger

jfk777

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:24 pm

Its time for AA to help MIA after MIA has been great to AA since they took over the hub from Eastern, its time to go to Tokyo. They can do it with a 77W or a 787.
Its time to do it. NRT is viable with any pane capable of 7,500 mile range( that is LAX to Sydney). JFK to NRT is about 6,500 miles plus 1,000 from MIA to JFK.
Hoping AA will use the 787 to launch new routes and not replace 777 flights with 787 as they are with the launch of 787 from DFW to PEK and EZE. Seoul could be a great second route from Miami to Asia, Taipei and Hong Kong are too far west for a viable flight from Miami( NRT to HKG is 1,800 miles).

kaichinshih

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:35 pm

I agree with most people here that NRT/ ICN services should happen before TPE services

However, just thought that I should throw this out:
China and Taiwan are reaching an agreement on allowing Chinese passengers to transit via Taiwan
News from just days ago states that the negotiations are "almost done"
and that the final agreement will likely be announced during the 11th Cross Strait High Level Talks

Chinese passengers transferring via Taiwan will boost the likelihood of BR/CI launching MIA services
CI has previously stated that, once Chinese transit passengers are allowed, it will launch two individual routes to SEA and IAH
Who knows? Maybe BR/CI will launch MIA if the airport authorities provide certain subsidies while helping with the advertising.

Fastphilly

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:37 pm

Your PDEW numbers include the entire continent of Asia. The far east which this thread is in discussion about is far less than 750. And yes compare to Miami's other peer US cities it is a small O&D.

You need to look beyond the numbers. There is virtually no cultural ties between Miami and the Far East. The business ties are miniscule. No airline is going to operate what would be one of the longest flight in the world to haul trash yields to a beach destination. I know your one of the most MIA boosters on this board but the facts are facts. You have been saying service will happen soon for 15 years now. I can provide the link if you wish.

Miami is a fine city and is well connected to Europe and Latin America but your city barely registers in the Far East. I have family and friends there and have visited there many times. Outside of the Miami Heat NBA team most know very little of Miami.
Your geographic location is a negative for Asia much like the US west coast is for South America. In this age of hub and spoke air service IAH, DFW and MIA is a roadblock for US west coast to SA nonstops much like DFW, LAX and SFO are roadblocks for Asia bound nonstops from the extreme southeastern US.

[Edited 2015-03-19 08:47:59]

tommy1808

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Neither TPE nor HKG make ideal hubs for Northeast Asia - the most strategic part.

but, traffic rights permitted, TPE-NRT-MIA would get you two cities for the price of one.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

727LOVER

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:01 pm

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 25):
The harder question to answer is: Will it be AA metal flying to Asia or will Asian metal be comming to town?

To the MIA fanboys, this makes a big difference

Miami-Asia is not a small O&D market by any means. At 750+ PDEW and growing,

Is this MIA-Tokyo or MIA-Asia?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

MAH4546

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:19 pm

Quoting Fastphilly (Reply 34):
Your PDEW numbers include the entire continent of Asia. The far east which this thread is in discussion about is far less than 750. And yes compare to Miami's other peer US cities it is a small O&D.

No, it does not include the entire continent of Asia, it only includes the Pacific Rim and Southeast Asia. It is a larger local market than peer cities such as Philadelphia.

Many can't stand the idea of Miami getting a non-stop to Asia. Many couldn't stand the idea of Miami getting an ME3 carrier and not only did it happen, but that carrier announced a doubling of capacity in less than a year.

MIA will be connected non-stop to a major Asian city in due time, just like many other U.S. cities will gain new inter-continental links with more fuel efficient planes and the growing popularity of hub overflying.

[Edited 2015-03-19 09:24:07]
a.

migair54

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:25 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 36):
Is this MIA-Tokyo or MIA-Asia?

It is MIA-Asia, but Asia is very big, so it will be nice to have a bit of break down in the figures. If it was MIA-Tokyo 750 PDEW then we´d have seen plenty of flights already in the route.

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 35):
but, traffic rights permitted, TPE-NRT-MIA would get you two cities for the price of one.

Yes, but then the route will not be so attractive for travellers because it will involve 2 stops to any point in Asia, and they have plenty of them via other points.

I think it´s time for AA to start the flight, it´s a big hub and offer that kind of flight will get a big boost in the hub, and who´s better than AA for the route?? it´s time to act against the ME3 with facts (flights) and not words.

adamh8297

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 37):
Many can't stand the idea of Miami getting a non-stop to Asia. Many couldn't stand the idea of Miami getting an ME3 carrier and not only did it happen, but that carrier announced a doubling of capacity in less than a year.

Why does MIA spark so much controversy on this forum? Its up there with A vs B and ME3 vs US3

I just cannot see the following not being served in 5 years

DXB
NRT
ICN
IST
DUB
TLV

If HU expands even more they may take a shot at PEK-MIA as well.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

Motorhussy

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:45 pm

Quoting thekorean (Reply 3):
I would not fly to TPE to fly to MIA from ICN or NRT.

Its too far out of the way.

Yes, you'd obviously take a NRT/HND/ICN flight to ORD or MSP to connect to MIA but customers in Singapore, The Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia etc would find TPE a good connecting point for MIA.

Long flight though.
come visit the south pacific

DLPMMM

Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:56 pm

Quoting motorhussy (Reply 40):

I think the OP misread the article....MIA officials said they were hoping for DIRECT flights from TPE....that does not mean non-stop.

The Taiwanese carriers (if they decided to fly to MIA) would likely use 5th freedom rights ...probably via NRT....and that way they can also pick up local traffic in NRT.

LAXdude1023

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Many can't stand the idea of Miami getting a non-stop to Asia.

Well, no. Ill be happy for Miami if they get a flight to Asia, but honestly it wont affect my life nor anyone elses if they do or dont unless you live in that area of the country. Good for them if they get it but most people just dont care.

In 2012, the number was around 500 PDEW. I suppose QR could have stimulated the market, but I would think to the point of 750. I might be wrong since I dont have access to numbers more recent than that.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

CV880

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:42 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 41):
I think the OP misread the article....MIA officials said they were hoping for DIRECT flights from TPE....that does not mean non-stop.

Unfortunately it does for most people not in the airline industry. Nonstop is the correct terminology for what those dudes probably want. It is the center of the universe, isn't it (next to ATL)?

Fastphilly

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:55 pm

No, it does not include the entire continent of Asia, it only includes the Pacific Rim and Southeast Asia. It is a larger local market than peer cities such as Philadelphia.

MIA will be connected non-stop to a major Asian city in due time, just like many other U.S. cities will gain new inter-continental links with more fuel efficient planes and the growing popularity of hub overflying.

[Edited 2015-03-19 09:24:07]

Tokyo may happen in the future but this thread about TPE-MIA is laughable. Besides MNL, TPE is one of the lowest yield destinations in the Pacific Rim. Neither carrier at TPE is OW and would require back tracking to many Asia destinations. QR is making the flight from MIA work by serving the ME, India and southeast Asia and that is with alliance feed.

If CI couldn't make Houston work which has a larger O&D than Miami then how would the flight work to MIA which is further away? BR is just about to start IAH which is a *A hub so that makes a bit more sense than MIA that has a much smaller Asian population and is a non *A hub?

These city officials run their mouths about flights that are unrealistic financially. NRT on JL. Yeah I buy that because Tokyo is like the London of Asia. Tokyo flights work from a few US second tier cities and is a traditional Asia trunk route from the US plus they JV with AA.

HKG, MNL, TPE or any other Southeastern Asia destination is a pipe dream. For the foreseeable future NRT and maybe ICN

[Edited 2015-03-19 12:02:13]

MAH4546

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:03 pm

Quoting Fastphilly (Reply 44):
but this thread about TPE-MIA is laughable. Besides MNL, TPE is one of the lowest yield destinations in the Pacific Rim.

While I will agree MIA-TPE is never going to happen, the average MIATPE fare is $1,400+ round-trip. It is a high-yield, premium heavy market. Taipei and Hong Kong are the two Asian cities with the strongest business and cultural ties to Miami.

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 42):
In 2012, the number was around 500 PDEW. I suppose QR could have stimulated the market, but I would think to the point of 750. I might be wrong since I dont have access to numbers more recent than that.

It's from memory of 2014 numbers, but Manila alone has grown ~30%, Japan traffic has normalized back to previous levels (2011/2012 it collapsed), and Indonesia and China traffic keeps growing annually in large increments. Combined with normal growth rates for other markets, 750 is on the high side, but probably about where it is at.

[Edited 2015-03-19 12:06:10]
a.

B8887

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:12 pm

Quoting northwestEWR in this thread:

Clark: I Want Apology From US Carriers (by dubaiamman243 Mar 17 2015 in Civil Aviation)

Yeah and I'd love a date with Katy Perry. Good luck with that, Timmy.

I think the same applies to this matter...

Regards.

B8887

Miami
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:45 pm

Korea-Florida O&D passenger traffic is estimated at 38,000 passengers annually with overall passenger flows at 71,000 to 76,000 annually.

MIA-ICN can be done 3 weekly with a 787.

Japan-Florida O&D passenger traffic ranges between 118,000 and 143,000 annual passengers with 163,000 to 205,000 overall passengers. Miami offers the most opportunities for connections to Brazil and all of Latin American/Caribbean markets for Tokyo’s 325,000 annual O&D traffic traveling to/from Latin America and the Caribbean.

MIA-NRT can be daily but I don't believe it will start off that way.

MAH4546

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:56 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 47):

Korea-Florida O&D passenger traffic is estimated at 38,000 passengers annually with overall passenger flows at 71,000 to 76,000 annually.

MIA-ICN can be done 3 weekly with a 787.

Japan-Florida O&D passenger traffic ranges between 118,000 and 143,000 annual passengers with 163,000 to 205,000 overall passengers. Miami offers the most opportunities for connections to Brazil and all of Latin American/Caribbean markets for Tokyo’s 325,000 annual O&D traffic traveling to/from Latin America and the Caribbean.

MIA-NRT can be daily but I don't believe it will start off that way.

Those figures are ancient.
a.

Miami
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:00 pm

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 48):
ancient

Well, I'm pretty sure those numbers aren't off by much.

I believe those numbers are not too old.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos