Hi folks

Ryanair not flying to USA anymore.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31975456

Regards
musapapaya

vfw614

RE: Ryanair NOT Going To USA

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:41 pm

Well, as usual they had their free PR worth millions of dough. WOnder when the media will learn not to always take the bait.

billreid

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:47 pm

Has it occurred they could change their mind again next week.
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

B8887

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:51 pm

Quoting musapapaya (Thread starter):
Ryanair NOT Going To USA

Yep, I agree a new thread should be started as a follow-up to this one...

Ryanair Board Approves Plans Transatlantic Service (by kl911 Mar 16 2015 in Civil Aviation)

Regards.

B8887

mayor

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:02 pm

Perhaps this applies to them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHcim_KNZYw
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

jumpseat

Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:19 pm

FR will come up with this transatlantic story again in about 4 months. Mark my words.

readytotaxi

Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:32 pm

Hmmm!
Who is in charge/running the PR machine?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

rampbro

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:10 pm

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 6):
Who is in charge/running the PR machine?

Same fella doing Netanyahu's.....

EIDL

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:43 pm

Quoting jumpseat (Reply 5):
FR will come up with this transatlantic story again in about 4 months. Mark my words.

Since they can no longer use the standard cycle of "standing flights" "no window blinds" "pay toilets" (all nixed by the IAA and all running against their new policy of pretending to be nice), they may be repeating this one even quicker.

BD338

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:49 pm

one day if they do decide the fly transatlantic nobody will book with them because they'll think it's just another publicity stunt  

Aquila3

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:05 pm

Quoting musapapaya (Thread starter):
Ryanair not flying to USA anymore.

Does it mean they fly TATL to Canada then?
Special discounts for the NHL ?   
chi vola vale chi vale vola chi non vola è un vile

LHRFlyer

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:08 pm

I think someone could be in a lot of trouble over this. The original announcement was quite vague about the approval.

Ryanair have now issued a formal statement to the stock exchange (which they didn't do earlier this week - their intentions were just leaked to the press)

http://www.investegate.co.uk/ryanair...-2015--dublin/201503191644569571H/

If Ryanair had really approved a new transatlantic airline they would have to have made announcement to the stock exchange as it would be a share price sensitive development. Investors do not take kindly to surprises and mixed messages.

CalTex

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:32 am

Quoting LHRFlyer (Reply 11):
If Ryanair had really approved a new transatlantic airline they would have to have made announcement to the stock exchange as it would be a share price sensitive development.

One of the first things I did when this story hit the news was go straight to Ryanair's website and look for a press release in their media centre/investor relations area. Nothing. At the time, I thought "why would Ryanair approve a major decision but remain silent on their official media releases?" Guess I should've paid more attention to that fact.

Chisky16

Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:47 am

This may be a coy marketing strategy to make more Americans aware of Ryanair's existence so that they will fly the airline when in Europe.
Using common knowledge to save the day!

VCEflyboy

Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:14 am

Perhaps FR TATL dreams were cut short when Norwegian pilots went back to work.

[Edited 2015-03-19 19:23:30]

Max Q

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:32 am

This 'story' had as much credibility as paying for toilet use.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

ltbewr

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:44 am

Once again, even us airline buffs got taken in by a rumor, from an airline with a notorious reputation for over the top comments for free media publicity and a CEO who is an attention whore.
The TATL LLC concept is pretty much impractical as proven by numerous failures and the major airlines trying to protect their turf and profits from price erosion.

Luftymatt

Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:08 am

Well that's good news anyway.
chase the sun

eicvd

Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:16 am

Quoting Luftymatt (Reply 17):

Why? Nobody was going to force you to fly TATL with them.
COYBIB

kdhurst380

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:43 pm

Quoting eicvd (Reply 18):
Why? Nobody was going to force you to fly TATL with them.

I don't understand the naysayers. They'd drive prices down across the board, because the legacies would be forced to compete, as they have had to do within Europe. It would be good for everyone.

Luftymatt

Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:15 pm

Quoting eicvd (Reply 18):
Nobody was going to force you to fly TATL with them.

I'm thinking of the other airlines flying the North Atlantic, to/from Europe.
chase the sun

nighthawk

Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:53 pm

Quoting kdhurst380 (Reply 19):
It would be good for everyone.

Except for the employees of legacy airlines who would be forced to drastically cut costs to compete.

2travel2know2

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:18 pm

Chances are U2 might be flying seasonal A319 BFS/GLA/EDI-YHZ maybe even BFS-MHT/BOS before FR flies transatlantic.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

Indy

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:14 pm

Personally, I would be thrilled if FR would just go away. We don't need or want them contaminating the TATL market. We don't need the other carriers feeling they need to match this sub par service. TATL in flight service is bad enough as it is. We don't need pressure on airlines to lower the standards even more. This FR service not happening is a win for everyone.
IND to RDU to OKC in 18 months. This is what my life has become.

fanofjets

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:34 pm

I next expect to see a mock-up of the Orion III space liner from 2001: A Space Odyssey with Ryan Air instead of Pan American markings, the golden harp replacing the blue meatball. If they cannot do trans-Atlantic service, why not orbital space shuttle flights to the ISS?

The only downside here is that there won't be a thread on reviving the Boeing 757 line for single-aisle service on such flights.
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

eicvd

Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:28 pm

Quoting Indy (Reply 23):

I've seen many ignorant posts on here but you sir take the cake!
COYBIB

Revelation

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:09 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 15):
This 'story' had as much credibility as paying for toilet use.

I think there eventually will be a LCC/ULCC flying TATL. There's just too much money sitting there waiting to be earned.

Quoting Indy (Reply 23):
Personally, I would be thrilled if FR would just go away. We don't need or want them contaminating the TATL market. We don't need the other carriers feeling they need to match this sub par service. TATL in flight service is bad enough as it is. We don't need pressure on airlines to lower the standards even more.

As you are admitting legacies seem to already have no problem reducing standards all on their own, so we might as well get some price pressure into the market too.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

tommy1808

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:12 pm

Quoting kdhurst380 (Reply 19):
They'd drive prices down across the board, because the legacies would be forced to compete, as they have had to do within Europe. It would be good for everyone.

next time I get out of an intra-EU flight with my knees bruised, telling myself that the ULCC boom was good for everyone will sure as hell provide me with some comfort...

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

vv701

Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:06 pm

The original link provided by the TO starts:

'Budget airline Ryanair has abandoned plans to operate transatlantic flights, just days after it said its board had approved the measure.'

It is almost certain that if FR was to operate across the Atlantic it would do so with NEW wide-bodied aircraft. Trying to compete against highly efficient twin-aisle aircraft with small single-aisle planes would, I think, fail. Buying or leasing competitive aircraft would require board approval.

It appears to me that that approval was sought as a preliminary step. Going any further without such approval would likely be a disaster.

It appears to me that the granting of board approval was then accidentally (or otherwise) leaked (by who?) and then officially confirmed by FR.

Any plan to introduce flights across the Atlantic would likely impact FR's share price. So if this was a preliminary but leaked step immediate clarification would be required.

So my own conclusion - and I am far from being an FR lover - is that this was no publicity stunt but a correct procedure to follow following a leak of a preliminary and perhaps qualified board decision.

However now the board appears to have given its provisional approval . . . Never say never. But sometime in the next five years now seems to me highly unlikely.

DocLightning

Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:30 pm

Quoting Indy (Reply 23):
Personally, I would be thrilled if FR would just go away. We don't need or want them contaminating the TATL market. We don't need the other carriers feeling they need to match this sub par service. TATL in flight service is bad enough as it is. We don't need pressure on airlines to lower the standards even more. This FR service not happening is a win for everyone.

But no-frills TATL service has existed for some time now. Just because we Americans have no such airlines flying those services doesn't mean that the Europeans haven't.

Most of the service has been to tropical and subtropical leisure markets (the Caribbean, mostly) but some European LCCs have entered major US markets. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not so much. Air Berlin and Norwegian have both served the AF Airlines (Argentina)">SF Bay Area (Norwegian still does). MCO is another common LCC destination.

The thing about these airlines is that they are only competing with a segment of the majors. They are competing for low-yield, low-cost customers who will travel on a leisure basis. They can afford to give their customers bare-bones treatment because for most of their customers, flying is something they do occasionally (like 3-4x/yr or less) and they can deal with the discomfort on that basis.

Majors are more suited to frequent fliers, often who yield higher. For those customers who fly TATL on a regular basis, comfort becomes very important. Also, for flyers like myself who like the increased comfort, I take long-haul carriers in premium-Y when I can. That class of service seems to be working for the European carriers. I thought AF's was quite nice (although the seat needs some work).

I don't think that the long-haul LCC is the death of full-service longhaul, but they do appeal to an untapped market of budget travelers.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

JoeCanuck

Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:42 pm

Airlines such as Air Transat, and other charter/holiday airlines, have been doing long haul, low cost for decades...and Transat, at least, has very good load factors.

There will always be room for a cheap option.
What the...?

Max Q

Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:04 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 26):
think there eventually will be a LCC/ULCC flying TATL. There's just too much money sitting there waiting to be earned.

There, already is, it's called Norwegian airlines.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Viscount724

Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:27 am

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 30):
Airlines such as Air Transat, and other charter/holiday airlines, have been doing long haul, low cost for decades...and Transat, at least, has very good load factors.

There will always be room for a cheap option.

Several US carriers operated scheduled longhaul services to Europe in the past. None lasted very long. Those that come to mind below. The last 3 were charter/supplemental carriers but later added a few low-fare scheduled routes.

People Express
Air Florida
Transamerica Airlines (originally Trans International)
Capitol International Airways
World Airways

[Edited 2015-03-20 17:34:07]

JoeCanuck

Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:47 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 32):

Like any other potentially money making venture...some can make it work, some can't. The ones that do probably have the right combination of market savvy, timing, product, price, costs and luck.
What the...?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos