Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

American 767
Topic Author

Qatar Boss Accuses DL Of "Flying Crap Planes" - P2

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:37 pm

Please continue the discussion here.

Qatar Boss Accuses DL Of "flying Crap Planes" (by g500 Mar 16 2015 in Civil Aviation)

Ben Soriano
Ben Soriano

Brewfangrb

RE: Qatar Boss Accuses DL Of "Flying Crap Planes" - P2

Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:19 am

Quoting brewfangrb (Reply 193):
I guess I missed the NTSB's final report that found a mechanical defect caused the plane to skid off an ice or snow covered runway in gusty, highly variable winds.

Quote:
I never suggested that it did.

So then why is whether this will be a hull loss or a write-off at all relevant? This tells us nothing about the airline's safety.

What is this obsession with write-offs?

Quote:
None of the airlines have had deaths for twenty years, so writeoffs are the next best (worst) thing for comparison. Qatar Airways has many issues but thus far, their safety record is perfect.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you meant that "none of the airlines" is none of the US3 or ME3. Othewise, this is obviously untrue.

I couldn't care less how many aircraft are written off.

Quote:
Well you might not, but I certainly hope that the airline does!

And their loss management program or the financial impact to the airline is for them to worry about--it still doesn't have anything to do with actual safety if people aren't dying.

Go shout at clouds with someone else.

Quote:
I'm not the one using Caps Lock.

LOLOL. "Caps Lock"? I wrote one word in caps ("safer") for emphasis, not shouting. Sorry if nuance is difficult.

billreid

RE: Qatar Boss Accuses DL Of "Flying Crap Planes" - P2

Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:37 pm

From MAYOR:

Lets set the record straight.......DL has filed for bankruptcy ONCE in 85 years. It's not like it's a yearly event as you seem to imply.

Answer: Didn't DL and NW file for Ch-11 on the same day? And I think to be fair you need to include all airline components that have merged into DL as Part of the CH-11 process. Anderson took over DL as NW CEO, you can keep the brand DL but it remains a fact that DL/NW and components have filed multiple times.

Quoting billreid (Reply 204):
Why is my statement crap. Do I not have the right to suggest that there should be a VALUE PROPOSITION?

Mayor: You stated, yourself, that you haven't flown on DL since they started the refurbishment program.

Answer: No I don't think I said I havent flown DL. I believe I stated that I am a million miler. I have flown DL every year in the last 15 years, including this year. In fact I believe my 1.3 million miles ranks me pretty high unless you compare me to crew. And there is a huge difference between crew and REVENUE pax.

For info I have also flown on over 40 flag carriers in my life. A lot of them no longer exist like British Caledonian, Martinair, Hughes Air West, Trans America, ATA, Air Tran, Canadian, TWA, Pan Am, Western, Eastern, Allegheny, Royal, Branniff, Peoples Express (1), National, Swiss Air, Sabena, Reno Air, Northwest, North East, PSA, US Airways

I have also flown on surviving carriers: Air Canada, CanJet, WestJet, KLM, Air France, Alitalia, Iberia, Lufthansa, British, Cathay Pacific, Singapore, Air Berlin, Easy Jet, Ryanair, Alaska, American, United, Delta, Frontier, Southwest, SAS, Transavia (NL), Aer Lingus, Allegiant, ArkeFly, Icelandair, JetBlue

There are others I just cant remember.
The point is over a life time one has the ability to compare and watch the development of the industry based on the product of that day. Apples to Apples.
For me DL, AA, UA aren't focussed on delivering world class high quality, they never have been. Its more about volume rather than quality.This is OK, its their business plan, and except for the CH-11 from time to time it works. At the same time airline staff believe in their product. If DL was truly interested in top quality then it would be buying the latest and greatest, not using 15 year old planes. (refurbished or not)

There is no question that CX, SQ, VS, and the ME3 make the US carriers look week on quality. There are others too.

I have argued for years that the US3 could create Delta-International, United-International and American-International and compete on long-haul quality with the top brands. Unfortunately there is no pressing need because Americans simply buy on home carriers first. Beyond that alliances brings in revenues from many foreign carriers. Ask Germans United vs Lufthansa? the French; AF vs DL? The British: AA vs BA or VS? The answer is their flag carriers generally, except when arguing on price point.
So in reality, the US3 in comparison to the ME3 are crap, because they chose to be. Its the Walmart business model.

The best inflight service I had was on CX.
The best food I ever was served on board was AF.
Worst airline ever flown Sabena.
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos