Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

celestar
Topic Author

Asiana HK To ICN Wrong Passenger Onboard

Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:23 am

Not sure if this is true. Asiana flight from HK to ICN had to returned back to HK after finding the passenger on board are not actually not going to ICN but to Jiju island. I cannot confirm this news and it apparently happen on the 17th of March. Do or can someone know more on this or confirm this is the case? Wonder how that would have happened?

thegoldenargosy

RE: Asiana HK To ICN Wrong Passenger Onboard

Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:34 am

These things happen. I was an agent for a legacy for several years. Once while working at a smaller outstation a passenger got off an RJ looking for the Moscow flight. She had gotten on the wrong flight, she thought she was at JFK.

VS239

Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:52 am

This happened on the 16th March on OZ722. It was over Taiwan when it turned back to HKG.
Who...me??

YLWbased

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:18 am

I once work in a smaller station for a Canadian based carrier, these things do happens, however it is 100% sure that someone will get fired should it actually happened.

Out of the 2.5 yrs I've spend in this station, I've witnessed 2 cases of pax on wrong plane, the first incident with a 73 years old lady who was scheduled for Calgary took off on an Edmonton bound flight; the 2nd case was someone thought they've landed in Victoria, BC when he obviously wasn't.

YLWbased
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

777way

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:26 am

A couple travelling to Dakar on Turkish Airlines ended up in Dhaka, there was a discussion on it here.

[Edited 2015-03-20 03:32:03]

gabrielchew

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:33 am

Quoting VS239 (Reply 2):
This happened on the 16th March on OZ722. It was over Taiwan when it turned back to AND OLD: Hong Kong - Kai Tak International (HKG / VHHH) (closed), China - Hong Kong">HKG.

Why would they turn back to AND OLD: Hong Kong - Kai Tak International (HKG / VHHH) (closed), China - Hong Kong">HKG and delay the aircraft and hundreds of people for 3-4 hours, rather than continuing to ICN, and putting the pax on a plane to Jeju there? The pax wasn't a security risk as they'd already gone through airport security, AND the plane was already in the air. If it was a major risk, they'd have gone straight to TPE, not flown another hour to AND OLD: Hong Kong - Kai Tak International (HKG / VHHH) (closed), China - Hong Kong">HKG?!

Strange that the system let the pax board with the wong boarding pass in AND OLD: Hong Kong - Kai Tak International (HKG / VHHH) (closed), China - Hong Kong">HKG. How did they only notice an hour into the flight?
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

JU068

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:38 am

Won't the handling company be fined for this?

eielef

Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:38 am

Once upon a time, a very funny christmas story, in the rather small airport of Río Gallegos, in southern Patagonia, they were simultaneously two flights leaving. One F28 to RGA and USH and one B742 to SYD.
An old lady, maybe not used to fly, just boarded the big one and without much counting of passengers took of to Australia. She got a bit afraid after 2 or 3 hours and asked a flight attendant why the flight (mostly a 35 mins flight, RGL-RGA) was taking so long.
She eventually got to Sydney without passport nor Visa so she was kept in the transfers area until the plane flew back to EZE (the return flight was nonstop). Then, she was given a new flight, nonstop, from AEP to RGA.
It took her almost 3 days to get home. Her family was worried, Australian authorities were angry, and the airline (AR) fired some people.
But the old lady had a nice adventure!

roseflyer

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:18 pm

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 5):

Why would they turn back to AND OLD: Hong Kong - Kai Tak International (HKG / VHHH) (closed), China - Hong Kong">HKG and delay the aircraft and hundreds of people for 3-4 hours, rather than continuing to ICN, and putting the pax on a plane to Jeju there? The pax wasn't a security risk as they'd already gone through airport security, AND the plane was already in the air. If it was a major risk, they'd have gone straight to TPE, not flown another hour to AND OLD: Hong Kong - Kai Tak International (HKG / VHHH) (closed), China - Hong Kong">HKG?!

Asiana doesn't fly from HKG to Jeju. The only airline that flies that route is Dragonair. Did she get on the wrong airline? If so, the passenger was more of a stowaway since the passenger didn't even have an Asiana ticket.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

BestWestern

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:25 pm

How did she do this. Everyone is barcode scanned onboard in HK

There are no Jeju flights on Mondays from HKG anyway? Are we sure this is true?
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

747megatop

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:28 pm

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 5):
rather than continuing to ICN, and putting the pax on a plane to Jeju there

Maybe visa issues for the passenger at ICN and the airline having to pay a fine for transporting a passenger without visa to ICN?

gabrielchew

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:50 pm

Quoting 747megatop (Reply 10):
Maybe visa issues for the passenger at ICN and the airline having to pay a fine for transporting a passenger without visa to ICN?

But Jeju and ICN are in the same country
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

thekorean

Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:15 pm

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 11):

Different Visa rules to encourage Chinese tourism to Jeju.

YYZAMS

Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:40 am

Juju Island is still part of South Korea. Why didn't they just put her on an Asiana flight from ICN. This smells fishy

SYDSpotter

Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:57 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 9):
How did she do this. Everyone is barcode scanned onboard in HK

I was on a flight from HKG to BKK yesterday. When everyone had boarded, a man sitting a few rows in front of me called for a FA and after a brief chat, got up got his carryon and left the aircraft. I didn't hear the conversation but he looked a bit embarrassed as he left the plane. Not sure if it was a case of getting on the wrong flight or another issue, strange either way !
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

38m

Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:52 am

Sources in Korea say that two passengers on different flights exchanged their tickets with each other after entering airside. Both flights were from HKG to ICN. One passenger was supposed to be on OZ flight and the other one was supposed to be on 7C (JeJu Air, I think this is why some people think the flight was to Jeju) which was scheduled 40 minutes after the OZ flight.
OZ did not notice the wrong passenger, but 7C did (40 minutes later lol), so they took a U-turn and headed back to HKG.

[Edited 2015-03-21 01:53:40]

BAeRJ100

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:19 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 4):

A couple travelling to Dakar on Turkish Airlines ended up in Dhaka, there was a discussion on it here.

I believe in that case it was an error going all the way back to ticketing, due to the names sounding similar. Those pax technically got onto the correct (ticketed) flight, but not heading for where they thought they booked. In the case in this thread, it was people boarding the wrong flight altogether.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

kq747

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:26 pm

It happened to me last year while "attempting" to fly ADD to NBO. There are many factors that contributed to it including my lack of sleep over three days of continuous flying and the chaos that is ADD. I am in my twenties and an experienced flyer so no excuses there.

I arrived in ADD on a Tuesday morning coming off a delayed flight from BOM-ADD and was mostly awake overnight in BOM. This was the last leg of my three day journey which started the previous Saturday before BOS-ORD-IAH-DME-SIN-BOM-ADD. Now if anyone has ever been to ADD, the ground level gates where passengers are bussed to aircraft is simply chaos. Multiple flights leave through the same door, no indication on the FIDS when a flight is actually boarding, and they look at your boarding pass but don't scan (not that it would help but they should look at your boarding pass before letting you board the bus). I know I'm flying a 737-800 which I board. The purser looks at my boarding pass and waves me in. I find my seat and see someone sitting in it. We have the exact same seat number. The FA said just take another seat as the flight was empty and I thought no more of it as I had asked the agent in BOM to change my seat and figured the change hadn't gone through or something (really should have been my first clue). Having not slept except for the 3 hours on the previous flight I fall asleep almost immediately. I wake up when were descending and overhear the captain announcing we will be landing shortly in some city. I didn't sound like she said Nairobi. I was a little worried but there was no way I was on the wrong plane. It seemed so ridiculous. Then I thought about the seats. A reasonable explanation for two passengers having the exact same seat was that someone was on the wrong flight. I jump out of my seat and ask a crew member "where did the captain say we were landing?" to which she replied "Librevillle." I had gotten on the wrong bus. Now I honestly was not really panicked about this, just surprised. She seemed more horrified when I told her I was supposed to go to Nairobi. She took my BP and spoke to the purser and came back and told me since the aircraft was turning around in LBV I could just come back with them. Upon landing in LBV the station manager already had new BP for LBV-ADD-NBO. They handled it very well. The plane departed back an hour later, and I once again faced the chaos that is ADD. This time there was a flight to PVG and CAI departing out the same door (imagine getting that one mixed up). But once again it was not made clear by the ground staff or the FIDS when the NBO flight was boarding as there was also another flight out of the same gate that multiple went up to confirm which flight was in fact being boarded at a particular time. This time I was far more careful but just as confused throughout. I did confirm with the people on the bus that they too were going to NBO and listened for the onboard announcement. I arrived in NBO 12 hours later than planned but I wasn't upset per se, just tired. I mean I got to fly two more flights than I had planned, logged a new airport and route, and visited West Africa for the first time. My biggest regret is that I didn't get miles for it   My family were far more strung out about the whole thing and they could not believe that this could happen to me of all people as like many of us here, I am an aviation nut.