FlyASAGuy2005
Topic Author

Delta DTW-CHA Still Around - Why?

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:53 pm

Please don't take my question as DTW-CHA shouldn't exist. It's still operating for a reason. My question is, what could those reasons be?

You wonder with ATL being a hop and skip away, what is it that DTW offers that's unique to ATL, thus allowing this flight to continue to operate? Is it the local market? I get some of the other SE stations that are much larger.
What gets measured gets done.

hjulicher

RE: Delta DTW-CHA Still Around - Why?

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:56 pm

Maybe it's the fact that CHA has the new VW plant and VW technical operations are based in Auburn Hills. That means the route isn't just for connectivity, but for the O&D that exists between the two cities.
Detroit Moves the World!
LH 442

FlyASAGuy2005
Topic Author

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:01 pm

Quoting hjulicher (Reply 1):
Maybe it's the fact that CHA has the new VW plant and VW technical operations are based in Auburn Hills. That means the route isn't just for connectivity, but for the O&D that exists between the two cities.

I assumed it was O/D but the route has been around for quite some time post merger, unless one can correct me.

tom11

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:26 pm

There's obviously some market there. I'm not sure why it's so surprising that DL operates this route. There are plenty of relatively small markets that DL serves with both ATL and DTW, in addition to MSP sometimes as well.

We could ask the same questions about AA at CHA. Why do they fly CHA-DFW and CHA-ORD?

If DTW wasn't a DL hub, then it might merit questioning why DL flies the route. But, DTW is a huge hub for DL...so it's really not surprising at all DL operates the route.

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:34 pm

Quoting tom11 (Reply 3):
We could ask the same questions about AA at CHA. Why do they fly CHA-DFW and CHA-ORD?

The difference, however, is that CHA is only 106 miles away from ATL. DFW and ORD are both much further and can serve different markets more easily. While I agree that CHA-DTW is around for a reason, it wouldn't be too far-fetched to see it cut in favor of routing all traffic via the very nearby hub in ATL.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

FlyASAGuy2005
Topic Author

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:39 pm

Quoting tom11 (Reply 3):
Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 4):
The difference, however, is that CHA is only 106 miles away from ATL. DFW and ORD are both much further and can serve different markets more easily.

The point I was going to make. CHA I less that 100 miles from Atlanta and there's quite the service to ATL with a combination of 50 seaters, large RJs and 717s for what was once an all CR2 station for years. You can't exactly get to DFW or ORD in 45 minutes air time like you can to ATL.

FlyASAGuy2005
Topic Author

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:40 pm

Quoting tom11 (Reply 3):
The difference, however, is that CHA is only 106 miles away from ATL. DFW and ORD are both much further and can serve different markets more easily.

The point I was going to make. CHA I less that 100 miles from Atlanta and there's quite the service to ATL with a combination of 50 seaters, large RJs and 717s for what was once an all CR2 station for years. You can't exactly get to DFW or ORD in 45 minutes air time like you can to ATL.

tom11

Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:19 am

The difference, however, is that CHA is only 106 miles away from ATL. DFW and ORD are both much further and can serve different markets more easily. While I agree that CHA-DTW is around for a reason, it wouldn't be too far-fetched to see it cut in favor of routing all traffic via the very nearby hub in ATL.

Then I would say DTW serves as an O&D market, and a connecting market, perhaps. There is probably very, very, little O&D traffic on CHA-ATL.

cha747

Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:38 am

When I lived in CHA a few years ago when the route was first started, some of my friends who flew to Asia for business used this flight quite frequently. This is also a large Michaganese diaspora of Seventh Day Adventists in Chattanooga.
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

Cubsrule

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:20 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 6):
The point I was going to make. CHA I less that 100 miles from Atlanta and there's quite the service to ATL with a combination of 50 seaters, large RJs and 717s for what was once an all CR2 station for years

CLT isn't much further, and AA has cut other pmAA routes to strong US cities (e.g. CRW).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

flyDTW1992

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:11 am

Well, for comparison, FWA, with a metro area very close in size to CHA, is in the neighborhood of 100 miles from DTW, and they have DL service to DTW, ATL and MSP. MBS in Michigan also has flights to all three hubs, and is roughly 100 miles from DTW.

Point being, it goes both ways, and as long as they can fill planes to the point of making money, I don't think they're too concerned about the perceived redundancy.
Now you're flying smart

yellowtail

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:21 am

I lived in CHA for a few years, when DL flew DC9 from ATL there and EA flew it too. DL ATL CHA was a license to print money. Those DC9s would go out packed day in and day out.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

rta

Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:07 am

DTW still flies to a lot of places (mostly regional) that ATL doesn't fly to. This isn't really surprising, imo.

bhmdiversion

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:10 am

CHA has one of the biggest populations of Medallions in the US...

HPRamper

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:50 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Thread starter):
Please don't take my question as DTW-CHA shouldn't exist. It's still operating for a reason. My question is, what could those reasons be?

Since the NW days, that region has had connectivity through DTW. NW seemed to like connecting markets to two hubs, and those secondary Tennessee markets were generally connected to DTW and MEM. I can recall flying NW Airlink from DTW and MEM to TRI and TYS and CHA is right up the road. Fairly long, but not uncomfortable Saab flight DTW-TRI.

FWAERJ

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:10 pm

Quoting flyDTW1992 (Reply 10):
FWA, with a metro area very close in size to CHA, is in the neighborhood of 100 miles from DTW, and they have DL service to DTW, ATL and MSP.

Correct. 4 flights a day to DTW, 4 to ATL (though that number will temporarily go down to 3 for the summer when people head north), and 1 to MSP - 9 flights in all. In fact, one of the DTW flights is timed for the international bank and is served on a CR7 with F - if there wasn't the international demand from FWA served via DTW, it would most likely be a CR2 like all the other flights. And if people simply drove up to DTW to catch these international flights, the CR7 wouldn't be there. Truth be told, the drive from Fort Wayne to DTW is about the same length of and is slightly easier than the drive to IND, but using DTW as your origin is a headache compared to using FWA. At DTW, long-term parking is scarce and security lines can last 20 minutes or more, while long-term parking is ample and you can get from car to gate in 10 minutes at FWA if you only have a carryon and use a mobile boarding pass. Once you get past security, though, DTW is a great airport.

AA does a similar thing at FWA. It's about a 3-4 hour drive from ORD, but there's Eagle service to ORD, DFW, PHL, and CLT, with a total of 9 flights per day. No larger planes, but I suspect that FWA will be one of the first Eagle stations to see Envoy E175s given the historical strength and the long stage length of the route. With the long ER4 routes from MIA upgauged to E175s, FWA-DFW is now one of the longest ERJ routes in the Eagle system and a prime candidate along with routes like CVG-DFW for larger aircraft.

UA only serves ORD from FWA, but times all four flights per day to connect with UA and Star Alliance international flights. There have been rumors of another UA hub from FWA for years, and if such a move occurs, I would expect EWR (already served from SBN and doing very well there) or DEN.

And let's not forget that G4 serves both FWA and IND, about 100 miles from each other, and serves SFB, PIE, PGD, and MYR from both at similar fares between the two airports. I don't think that G4 entering IND has hurt them at FWA - otherwise, they wouldn't have increased the spring break schedule to SFB this year over last and gone all-A320 on the route (11 more profit-making seats per plane than an MD-80). Instead, I think that G4 is keeping their loyal local customer base at FWA while going after the local people at IND affected by the higher Florida fares that WN is now charging when compared to FL.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

AVLAirlineFreq

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:30 pm

Quoting hjulicher (Reply 1):
Quoting HPRamper (Reply 14):
Since the NW days, that region has had connectivity through DTW. NW seemed to like connecting markets to two hubs, and those secondary Tennessee markets were generally connected to DTW and MEM.

NW and then DL connected a number of smaller markets in the region to DTW. Many are being eliminated as 50-seaters disappear from the fleet and DL once again pushes everything through ATL.

I suspect there's enough premium O&D on the route to justify its continued operation, particularly with VW in Chattanooga. I only did a spot check, but It may be telling that the nonstop doesn't operate on Saturdays in July this summer.

diverdave

Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:18 pm

Quoting AVLAirlineFreq (Reply 16):
NW and then DL connected a number of smaller markets in the region to DTW. Many are being eliminated as 50-seaters disappear from the fleet and DL once again pushes everything through ATL.

This. HSV-DTW is down from 3x daily to 5-6 days per week now.

David

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos