Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

yenne09
Topic Author

Santa Cruz Viru Viru To Become A Megahub

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:15 am

The Bolivian government want to transform Viru Viru airport into a maga international hub for freight and passengers.

http://aerolatinnews.com/2015/03/24/...mega-terminal-aerea-internacional/

C010T3

RE: Santa Cruz Viru Viru To Become A Megahub

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:26 am

I thought April Fool's was next week.

Polot

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:55 pm

I want a million dollars. Just like the Bolivian governments wants, it is not going to happen.

scbriml

Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:04 pm

Quoting yenne09 (Thread starter):
Viru Viru airport into a maga international hub for freight and passengers.

This is VVI - the single runway, small ramp airport we're talking about?   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ScottB

Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:36 pm

Quoting yenne09 (Thread starter):
The Bolivian government want to transform Viru Viru airport into a maga international hub for freight and passengers.

Perhaps they will also start a new airline, Conboliviana, with A380's running the important VVI-CCS-DAM-IKA-FNJ route.

tguman

Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:15 pm

"If you build it they will come" may not work in this case. However, if the construction phases are worked out properly, the expansion of the ramp, buiding of new terminals (cargo and passenger) the decision to stop at that could make for a good useful airport for Bolivia. It may not be a megahub, but would be useful for generations of growth.

TGUman
Life is a Mine Field.

SCL767

Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:24 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 2):
I want a million dollars. Just like the Bolivian governments wants, it is not going to happen.

Of course it won't happen. However it is commendable that Bolivia will invest in upgrading the infrastructure at VVI. Airlines such as AA, AR, AV, CM, G3, LA, OB, PZ, UX, and Z8 all operate international flights into VVI. It's also worth noting that Bolivia is currently expanding and modernizing the facilities at La Paz-El Alto.

Quoting ScottB (Reply 4):
Perhaps they will also start a new airline, Conboliviana, with A380's running the important VVI-CCS-DAM-IKA-FNJ route.

The state owned carrier Boliviana de Aviación operates a fleet of 737s and 767s to destinations such as EZE, GRU, MAD, MIA, SLA, etc. via VVI. The Bolivian carrier Amaszonas also operates a focus city at VVI utilizing CRJ-200s.

IrishAyes

Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:38 pm

Typical Latin American aristocratic mindless thinking. They see something they don't have and they want it thinking that they can produce it overnight. It is sort of hard to play catch-up in the aviation industry when you're 1). the poorest nation in Latin America 2). the most corrupt 3). among the least tourist, foreign-investment and overall business-friendly 4). you lack an official airline, high-tech airport infrastructure, organized and cohesive ministerial group to regulate and adhere to safety regulations.

Some people have more insights into bureaucratic sentiments than actual sense.

r2rho

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:07 pm

The title is just typical exaggerated reporting by Latin American media. The word megahub seems to be the webiste's own invention, whereas inside the article it talks of a 500 Million USD investment. That should buy a decent pax terminal, a decent cargo terminal, runway improvements / taxiways and such. That sounds more like a sensible investment, and certainly not a megahub.

BigGSFO

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:48 pm

A mega hub? Like Atlanta or Dubai? Or Bolivia's largest hub, which would be minimal at best, given the facilities and elevation.

2travel2know2

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:12 pm

Back in its golden days, Lloyd Aereo Boliviano used to run a hub-like operation in Santa Cruz, first @ El Trompillo airport then @ Viru-Viru VVI. It wasn't the best but it did the job.
The idea of a regional hub in Santa Cruz (by state-owned Boliviana de Aviación) isn't far fetched and VVI need some investment, so it's good news but the Bolivian press has grossly exaggerated it.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

Motorhussy

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:53 pm

I think the 'mega-hub' is perhaps a reference to Bolivia and its Govt.'s intention to efficiently channel all traffic, passenger and freight, through this one port - and not a wish to convert this runway at 12-thousand feet (altitude) into a global conduit for air traffic. The US$500-million is not exorbitant for a project of this nature and seems appropriate for a nation of this size wishing to maintain contact and trade with the world.

Honestly, some of the postings on here speak such first world arrogance, it's embarrassing.

[Edited 2015-03-25 09:53:49]
come visit the south pacific

2travel2know2

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:10 pm

Quoting motorhussy (Reply 11):
this runway at 12-thousand feet (altitude)

For the record VVI airport runway is at 1225 ft (373 m) over sea level. LPB is the one with a 12,000 ft over sea level runway.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

LTU932

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:46 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 12):
LPB is the one with a 12,000 ft over sea level runway.

It's way over 12,000 ft, LPB is located at 13,335 ft to be precise.  
Quoting motorhussy (Reply 11):
I think the 'mega-hub' is perhaps a reference to Bolivia and its Govt.'s intention to efficiently channel all traffic, passenger and freight, through this one

Don't forget that longer flights departing LPB (no idea about CBB) need an intermediate stop, which is where VVI comes into play. Also, not all aircraft are certified for operations to LPB.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Motorhussy

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:50 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 12):
For the record VVI airport runway is at 1225 ft (373 m) over sea level. LPB is the one with a 12,000 ft over sea level runway.

LOL. Thanks and apologies. I got the decimal point out of place when quickly converting from metrics.
come visit the south pacific

AR385

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:08 pm

Quoting irishayes (Reply 7):
Typical Latin American aristocratic mindless thinking.

Yeah!!, right? Like that little Central American country that wanted something similar with its little airline COPA not 15 years ago............Oh wait.....

Very mindless, Panama.

Quoting irishayes (Reply 7):
when you're 1). the poorest nation in Latin America 2). the most corrupt 3). among the least tourist, foreign-investment and overall business-friendly 4). you lack an official airline, high-tech airport infrastructure, organized and cohesive ministerial group to regulate and adhere to safety regulations.

You are wrong in your assertions. Besides, Bolivia has an impressive, sustainable growth rate most countries in Latin America would envy. It´s a great idea, given Bolivia´s location, and I can see it working perfectly as a regional hub.

jmchevallier

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:22 pm

Viru Viru is and will remain the exit point of La Paz El Alto airport (13 175 ft) from which ranges are quite limited due to high altitude. It was built for that purpose 35 years away with Japanese financing.
I do not anticipate any private investor to back a big project there.

AR385

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:49 pm

Quoting jmchevallier (Reply 16):
Viru Viru is and will remain the exit point of La Paz El Alto airport (13 175 ft) from which ranges are quite limited due to high altitude. It was built for that purpose 35 years away with Japanese financing.
I do not anticipate any private investor to back a big project there.

While Viru Viru may have been originally built for that purpose, Santa Cruz is the region in Bolivia that is the most developed, rich, and growing. It is the hub of Bolivia´s energy industry which is in permanent growth and has years´ worth of very high quality natural gas reserves, among the biggest in the planet. It´s also very close to the grasslands of Western Brazil, and a huge metropolitan area, Cuiabá. Santa Cruz is also used by northern Argentines who wish to go to Europe and the US without having to fly 3 hrs. South to AEP and then transfer across and entire city to fly out of EZE.

May not happen overnight, but I can see the potential and certainly would not dismiss the idea outright.

DolphinAir747

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:47 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 15):
Yeah!!, right? Like that little Central American country that wanted something similar with its little airline COPA not 15 years ago............Oh wait.....

Very mindless, Panama.

Panama and Bolivia are two very different cases. Panama's characteristics (maritime hub, small population with very concentrated wealth, and location between major business and leisure markets, and more) make it a perfect regional DXB/SIN. Bolivia is quite a different story.

2travel2know2

Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:09 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 13):
Don't forget that longer flights departing LPB (no idea about CBB) need an intermediate stop, which is where VVI comes into play. Also, not all aircraft are certified for operations to LPB.

CBB is at 8360 ft (2548 m) over sea level, so it has some restrictions but nothing compared to LPB's. Strange that CBB also is a major Bolivian economic centre but with no or very limited direct/non-stop international flights.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 15):

Very mindless, Panama.

To make things clear, CM has grown to what it's now because its owners and staff vision and not because Panama - the last 4 governments - were really pushing to do something with that Panama-based, Panamanian owned private airline. It's widely known Panama hasn't been able to keep-up with CM fast growth.
Back to the subject, in Bolivia's case, seems the government and Santa Cruz - the region - is behind the desire to set up an airline hub @ VVI again like Lloyd Aero Boliviano once had and AeroSur wanted tried to replicate.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 17):
Santa Cruz is also used by northern Argentines who wish to go to Europe and the US without having to fly 3 hrs. South to AEP and then transfer across and entire city to fly out of EZE.

Since CM was mentioned here, the day Argentina allows CM more frequencies and into Salta SLA and Tucuman TUC it's the end for most of that traffic.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

AR385

Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:44 am

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 18):
Panama and Bolivia are two very different cases. Panama's characteristics (maritime hub, small population with very concentrated wealth, and location between major business and leisure markets, and more) make it a perfect regional DXB/SIN. Bolivia is quite a different story.

Bolivia is quickly turning into a middle class society, and wealth is certainly not concentrated. CM does not depend on traffic generated in/or only by Panama. Nor will VVI as a hub. Bolivia on its own has lots of economic potential that can sustain a regional hub in VVI. I talked about it previously. Maybe not a MEGAHUB, but certainly a regional hub. I lived in Santa Cruz for 11 months. I know what I´m talking about. Evo Morales is very pragmatic, nothing like Maduro, or Ortega. He actually is smart. Left leaning, but not stupid.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 19):
Since CM was mentioned here, the day Argentina allows CM more frequencies and into Salta SLA and Tucuman TUC it's the end for most of that traffic.

If those Argentines have the option to travel to European and North American destinations through VVI, I doubt CM would be so successful. We´ll see anyway when this current, nutty government goes off into the sunset in 9 months. Hopefully that protect AR at all costs attitude will disappear.

[Edited 2015-03-25 18:58:59]

yenne09
Topic Author

Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:08 am

Santa Cruz is the biggest city in Columbia with 1,5 M people. With the two northern province of Jujuy and Salta in Argentina
(about 2M people) and the Brazil's western State of Mato Grosso and Mato Grosso do Sul (about 5M people), it gives the
airport a regional catchment area of close to 8M people.

AR385

Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:16 am

Quoting yenne09 (Reply 21):
Santa Cruz is the biggest city in Columbia with 1,5 M people. With the two northern province of Jujuy and Salta in Argentina
(about 2M people) and the Brazil's western State of Mato Grosso and Mato Grosso do Sul (about 5M people), it gives the
airport a regional catchment area of close to 8M people.

Really? Really?

Please go and check some kindergarten Atlas.

2travel2know2

Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:43 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 20):
If those Argentines have the option to travel to European and North American destinations through VVI, I doubt CM would be so successful. We´ll see anyway when this current, nutty government goes off into the sunset in 9 months. Hopefully that protect AR at all costs attitude will disappear.

While a Bolivian airline may provide SLA and TUC with (almost) daily flights from a VVI hub, that Bolivian airline potential destinations might be only 2 in Europe: MAD, FRA (very iffy) and 5 in North America: HAV, MEX, MIA, NYC (EWR or JFK) and WAS (IAD not BWI).
That can't match how many North American and European destinations could be within SLA and/or TUC reach with only one connection at CM PTY hub.
Non-Buenos Aires international passengers are real victims of the Argentine government AR protectionism.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

AR385

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:08 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 23):
Non-Buenos Aires international passengers are real victims of the Argentine government AR protectionism.

I totally agree with you. But the Kirchner´s have that populist philosophy from the 70s...in theory, but that´s for another thread.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 23):
While a Bolivian airline may provide SLA and TUC with (almost) daily flights from a VVI hub, that Bolivian airline potential destinations might be only 2 in Europe: MAD, FRA (very iffy) and 5 in North America: HAV, MEX, MIA, NYC (EWR or JFK) and WAS (IAD not BWI).
That can't match how many North American and European destinations could be within SLA and/or TUC reach with only one connection at CM PTY hub.

We´ll have to disagree on that. Almost every person I met in Santa Cruz had to take a flight to GRU to connect to ANYWHERE, basically. So potentially, the idea is not too far fetched.

yenne09
Topic Author

Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:43 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 22):
Please go and check some kindergarten Atlas.

This is what I did (maybe wth a pre-kindergarten one). Who you think you are. You are Lucky to be the
only owner of the thruth.

peterinlisbon

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:41 pm

I don't think it's arrogance, it's just that when you hear the word "megahub" on an international aviation forum you think of Dubai with its order for 200 A380s or perhaps Atlanta or Beijing, not Viru Viru with its tired old 727s. And didn't Bolivia's biggest airline go bankrupt a couple of years ago?

SCL767

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:01 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 24):
Almost every person I met in Santa Cruz had to take a flight to GRU to connect to ANYWHERE, basically.

Really? A lot of pax ex-VVI pax tend to connect via the LIM hub (even AM just placed its code on LA flights to VVI)! There are more flights between LIM and VVI compared to VVI-GRU.

AR385

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:07 am

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 27):
Really? A lot of pax ex-VVI pax tend to connect via the LIM hub (even AM just placed its code on LA flights to VVI)! There are more flights between LIM and VVI compared to VVI-GRU.

You are the guy who has the computerized info. at his fingertips. So no point in me discussing or trying to argue with you  

What I am saying is purely anecdotical, and within the sphere of the "anecdotical", yes, most of the people in Santa Cruz I know, use GRU as their hub for going to Europe and NorthAmerica.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos