Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

nicholasjet

RE: Etihad No1 Econ Class Ranking (Airways Magazine)

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:09 pm

Just found the article and list online. full story here:-

http://thedesignair.net/2015/03/28/t...nairs-top-10-economy-classes-2015/

christao17

Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:59 am

Rankings of Y class in carriers seems almost pointless. The product is pretty similar with only marginal differences.

For example, I generally like ANA, Asiana, Korean, and EVA because their economy class is 33 or 34" pitch compared with 31" on many other carriers, but the seats are pretty much the same width, the food service is not much different, etc. In the end, the difference in Y class between carriers is just a matter of degrees, not anything that significant.

A few years ago I decided to fly SQ from Bangkok back to SFO. Okay, their service is friendly but Y class is still 31" pitch and I had more than 5 hours of extra travel, so I'm not sure it was worth it.
More than a dozen years flying in and around Asia...

ukoverlander
Topic Author

Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:46 am

Quoting christao17 (Reply 51):
Rankings of Y class in carriers seems almost pointless. The product is pretty similar with only marginal differences.
Quoting christao17 (Reply 51):
A few years ago I decided to fly SQ from Bangkok back to SFO.

Try riding back from Hong Kong in the back of a United 747 - I think you might change your mind.

MaverickM11

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:27 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 45):
Also, note that in the last 20 years EK has added amenities (like IFE) much earlier than other carriers. So clearly, there's no trend of cutting back.

Everyone has added IFE, and it's rare to find any discussion on EK without someone mentioning how much better they used to be. They've been cutting back just like everyone else.

Quoting YTZ (Reply 49):
Good on SQ. Hopefully, it wins them more business.

Don't worry, it won't. SQ has a better Y product than EK today, never mind the LCCs, and it is losing out to them.

[Edited 2015-03-29 05:41:51]
I don't take responsibility at all

VC10er

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Dancing on the head of a pin! No matter what, a regular economy seat on a long haul flight stinks. It's uncomfortable. 2 to 4 hours is ok, generally, even on a US3. The only antidote to 8 to 15 hour flight is the strength of your sleeping pill! Or, become rich and buy a business class seat.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

sassiciai

Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:30 pm

Quoting VC10er (Reply 54):
The only antidote to 8 to 15 hour flight is the strength of your sleeping pill! Or, become rich and buy a business class seat.

I have an alternative to your sleeping pills

I need to travel at least 2 times a year between BRU and MNL. I used to do this via LHR or CDG or AMS or FRA, each of which involved one or more changes, and one real long haul leg of 12+ hours.

Now I fly EY direct from BRU to AUH, and then on to MNL (or sometimes out of choice to HKG then a local dash to MNL - it often saves money). Hence, my flights are broken down to 2 flights of around 8 hours each (one shorter, one longer). Between each flight, a break to get out of the tube and really stretch your feet a bit. All flights have been reserved in Y, but I'm now silver (was gold) in the EY guest program, so I have lounge access at all departure/transit points, and have been upgraded more often than I think is statistically normal for a Y pax.

I think that EY is quite hard to beat, it is very consistent in its way. I used to be a frequent SQ flier, and consider them to be better - just! EY is the next one down, IMHO! And when cost is factored in, EY is probably better!