Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A332DTW

RE: Germanwings A320 Crashed Enroute BCN-DUS! Part 3

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:19 pm

These last two years are going to leave a spike in long-term aviation safety graphs. My deepest condolences to victims' families and friends.

Seeing how there's no piece of a debris possibly larger than a car door, I wonder what that tells the investigators about how the aircraft impacted terrain. If I'm not mistaken, most CFIT accidents usually have larger pieces of debris and sometimes even entire chunks of fuselage.

[Edited 2015-03-24 11:19:49]

MVAair

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:22 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 19):
Wow. Terrible loss. That aircraft was obliterated.

Definitely not controlled flight into terrain

The idiot media will say the plane was too old if it was built in 1990.

heyjoojoo

You guys have to watch such statements, like "praying for the victims...". We should pray for the *families* of the victims.

In any case, from the photos, I couldn't make out any areas where it could be a point of impact.

Anyone else?

Western727

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 45):
As Germanwings only have Airbus (plus the CRJ's) they don't refuse to go on board an AIRBUS plane, but more like not going to work at all as they are in shock as well, lost co-works, friends etc.

That sounds a lot more sensible. Crews are professionals, and they know very well the risks of flying...and that flight and cabin crews are far more likely to die of other causes, even as often as they fly. They also know of the 320's impressive safety record.

OO-VEG

Quoting oly720man (Reply 23):
It's not really a search if the crash site is well defined. It's now down to identifying bodies and determining the cause which can only be done with people on the ground and that may not be practical at night in the mountains unless they're going to helicopter generators and lights up there.

Wasn't there word of bad weather and snowfall tonight?

It's horrible to see how much small all the debris is, it looks like the plane pulverized on impact. Is it normal that there is no sign of fire? (or am i missing the clues of fire?)

IADCA

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 48):
Looking at the video from francetvinfo, It's highly unlikely that what we see is burned ground as some have suggested earlier. Rather, the terrain look like black shales, a very widespread rock formation in this part of the Alps (rocks also referred to as Terres Noires by locals). Very crumbly, steep and scary terrain, usually poorly vegetated as landslides and debris flows are frequent. No evidence of burn therefore (in my opinion) which however should not mean evidence of no burn. The smoke that we see is likely a debris of the aircraft that caught on fire, but what I'm saying is the crash probably did not ignite the whole mountain slope.

As one of the posters who mentioned a possible burned area, it was a distinct (darker) shade than even alpine shale and contrasted against it. It may just have been the lighting/shadows in some photos, though.

Luftfahrer

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:25 pm

Quoting Finn350 (Reply 41):

What about oil fumes? As far as I'm concerned, there are no warning systems for this - and germanwings has had an incident in CGN where both pilots nearly fainted. Rapid depressurizations or the cabin not pressurizing at all during climb happen almost every week, and these events would be easily handled by any proficient crew. How likely is it that both the CA's and the FO's oxygen supply would fail? These items would be tested before every flight.

MadameConcorde

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:26 pm

I'd rather place it around or below 2000 m based on vegetation and lack of snow (although it looks to be right under the first snow cover).

Tr: Le Figaro:

How will emergency access the crash site of the aircraft Germanwings deemed inaccessible? The Airbus A320 crashed at 1500 m altitude in the valley of the White on one side of the mountain of the Three Bishoprics opposite the ski area of Val d'Allos. A very steep face. "This is a very mountainous region, very snowy wilderness site oscillating between 2,000 and 3,000 meters," do we detail in a town hall. An owner of B & B in the municipality of Méloans said: "You have from my home, a half-hour drive and five-hour walk to reach it. Few people have heard something because it is an uninhabited area. It is very isolated. "

http://www.lefigaro.fr/societes/2015...perilleuse-mission-des-secours.php

exfss

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:27 pm

Quoting A332DTW (Reply 50):
These last two years are going to leave a spike in long-term aviation safety graphs

I think aviation is following the law of probability.
The more plane , the more chance of accident.

Seeing how there's no piece of a debris possibly larger than a car door,

In my point of view, a plane that crashes into a mountain 's face (which act as a solid vertical wall) would leave different pattern of debris than an aircraft that hit an horizontal ground.

As a comparison, a plane that go straight down vertically would also leave very few big debris.

I had the idea of the rudder going off,(therefore changing the gravity center, ) but the fact there was no call is not compatible with this ''speculating thought''.

MD80Nut

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:33 pm

Quoting OO-VEG (Reply 54):
It's horrible to see how much small all the debris is, it looks like the plane pulverized on impact. Is it normal that there is no sign of fire? (or am i missing the clues of fire?)

When I was in the Air Force, I was part of a crash recovery team of one of our A-7Ds that crashed head on into the ground at high speed. While there was an explosion that basically pulverized the plane, there was only a few small scorched areas in the grass. No sign of a large fire. The experts who analyzed the crash said that the initial explosion consumed almost all the fuel so that was likely why there were few signs of fire.

Cheers, Ralph

[Edited 2015-03-24 11:42:26]

vfw614

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:33 pm

Quoting jerrylee (Reply 42):
If it is true that Germanwings flights had to be cancelled because of crew refusing to go onboard Airbus planes, this will become the biggest scandal in German aviation so far. I simply can't believe these news.

Are you joking? They probably simply feel not fit enough to perform professionally, having just lost friends and colleagues they have probably worked with dozens of times. Do you think it is safe to operate a flight with a crew that is emotionally unsettled?

A332DTW

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:35 pm

Quoting exfss (Reply 58):
In my point of view, a plane that crashes into a mountain 's face (which act as a solid vertical wall) would leave different pattern of debris than an aircraft that hit an horizontal ground.

Correct. I was under the impression that since it seemed like a controlled descent (2,500 FPM) that it would come in slower and "crash land" if you will in a valley, but looking closer at the picture it does seem like a "head-on" collision with the mountain.

MadameConcorde

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:37 pm

Le patron d'Airbus sur les lieux de l'accident
France 3 Côte d'Azur

Tr: Airbus CEO and President Tom Enders and F. Bregier were on the crash site in a helicopter earlier this evening.

Just heard the same on the FRance24 live feed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFwedk4dBCc

LXLucien

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:37 pm

Quoting OO-VEG (Reply 54):
Wasn't there word of bad weather and snowfall tonight?

Yes there is bad weather approaching from the south and also for tomorrow I'm not sure if the weather will get better.

Pihero

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:38 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 17):
If you look at the paragliding video I posted above, it shows that these areas are very difficult to access. The crash site must be I think... about 3000 meters high.

I'd rather place it around or below 2000 m based on vegetation and lack of snow

The site is between 1700 and 2000 meters of altitude.
The location is just below the mountain called "Le Galèbre" just 2 km east of Vernet.

Good post !

Miami

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:39 pm

No more helicopters now over the crash site due to night and weather is getting worse.

txlbased

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:42 pm

If it is true that Germanwings flights had to be cancelled because of crew refusing to go onboard Airbus planes, this will become the biggest scandal in German aviation so far. I simply can't believe these news.

i think it´s because they are simply not fit to fly.

Rara

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:43 pm

If it is true that Germanwings flights had to be cancelled because of crew refusing to go onboard Airbus planes, this will become the biggest scandal in German aviation so far.

The biggest scandal in German aviation so far is the Lockheed affair from the 1970s.

sharles

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:44 pm

These last two years are going to leave a spike in long-term aviation safety graphs.

No, no they will not.

Quote:
Calendar year 2014 has turned out to be the best 12 months ever for airline safety, according to Ascend, a Flightglobal advisory service.
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-safety-performance-in-2014-407718

Quote:
Despite high profile accidents, 2014 was the safest year ever according to ASN data
http://news.aviation-safety.net/2015...t-year-ever-according-to-asn-data/

javierglez

Last week, another german 320 crew had to switch off some computer to regain control on descent because of frozen pitots. As a small Airbus shareholder with +20.000€ worth of stock I think I'm entitled to say that better pitot freezings and subsequent algorythm troubles had nothing to do with plummeting descent this time. And if they had, they better fix it for good. I'm not blaming the pitots but the computer not releasing control to pilots soon enough or not giving proper information. I'm not a pilot but statistically there's clear bias against airbus compared to boeing on this class of issues.

mika

That maintenance yesterday makes me think about the Helios accident some years back, especially coupled with the seemingly controlled descent shortly after reaching cruise altitude.

At any length this is very sad. My thoughts go out to the ones affected.

FCAFLYBOY

Quoting vfw614 (Reply 60):

Are you joking? They probably simply feel not fit enough to perform professionally, having just lost friends and colleagues they have probably worked with dozens of times. Do you think it is safe to operate a flight with a crew that is emotionally unsettled?

This is very tenuous ground guys. As ex-crew I can totally understand that after the loss of colleagues and friends they simply do not feel professionally or emotionally fit to operate and that is perfectly understandable and reasonable, and also responsible as safety is primary.

On the other hand, if this is true,then it should not be being made public as yes, it would've be highly unsettling for passengers if even crew do not wish to fly ( for whatever reason, personal and emotional or safety related). I don't think such personal matter should be being made public. It puts unfair pressure on crew but also, and very understandably, must be very frightening for even ther most seasoned fliers due to travel today/ tomorrow or in the coming days, with German Wings.

There's no right or wrong - just perception which as we all know, often fails us all.

RIP to those lost today and of course, condolences to ther it loved ones

F9Animal

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:47 pm

I know some of you are upset that the rescue operation was stopped at night. From what I read, they determined there were no survivors. Apparently, the impact has dismembered all aboard. I am sure they went and looked thoroughly through the crash site in hopes of finding survivors.

Just yesterday, I was reading about the possibility of terror attacks using chemicals. I know it is likely a coincidence, but part of my brain fears foul play. I hope they can determine the cause quickly. Hope the CVR and FDR can help reveal it.

BaconButty

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:48 pm

Quoting javierglez (Reply 69):
I'm not a pilot but statistically there's clear bias against airbus compared to boeing on this class of issues.

Could you share the figures?

A332DTW

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:50 pm

Quoting sharles (Reply 68):

I stand corrected. Looking at the graphs, it's interesting seeing the safest phase of flight has the greatest number of accidents... by a steep margin. This accident being no exception.

Finn350

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:52 pm

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 56):
What about oil fumes? As far as I'm concerned, there are no warning systems for this - and germanwings has had an incident in CGN where both pilots nearly fainted.

It is difficult to speculate, but maybe it could have been fumes.

Quoting mika (Reply 70):
That maintenance yesterday makes me think about the Helios accident some years back, especially coupled with the seemingly controlled descent shortly after reaching cruise altitude.

If they climbed 40 minutes to 38000 feet without oxygen, the pilots would have certainly been incapacitated long before... but who started the descent then?

RyanairGuru

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:52 pm

The only statistic 2014 will be a blip for is media coverage. 2014 was the safest year ever for aviation, and was significantly safer than 2013.

mat66

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:56 pm

Just checked TXL and 5 in- and outbound 4U flights were cancelled in the last 2 hours alone. Apparently the same is true at other airports in Germany right now. I don't want to speculate or judge the crews of 4U on this very difficult and tragic day. I only wonder if that happened before with other airlines right after an accident. I just don't recall anything like this from the past.

mika

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:57 pm

Quoting Finn350 (Reply 75):

If they climbed 40 minutes to 38000 feet without oxygen, the pilots would have certainly been incapacitated long before... but who started the descent then?

Yes, assuming that the cabin never pressurized in the first place. I honestly don't know, it's just a gut feeling that i've got. There are many possibilites in regards to what happened.

We shall see, hopefully sooner rather than later.

wilco737
Topic Author

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:58 pm

There is an airplane coming from Braunschweig (BWE), that's where the accident investigation team is located (BFU) and is flying southwestbound, I guess towards BCN.

Registration is EC-ITU. I guess the team is on board there and getting ready for work soon.

wilco737

747megatop

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:02 pm

Quoting richierich (Reply 18):
I think it is quite clear this was not a survivable crash. The images I have seen are heart-breaking.

Can't ever assume that in any crash till SAR confirms that. Past crashes have shown. Even 1 life lost is too many; so faster the SAR teams are able to reach a crash site and tend to any survivors if any..the better.

hivue

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Quoting exfss (Reply 58):
I think aviation is following the law of probability.
The more plane , the more chance of accident.

No. That's like saying the larger the number of clouds in the sky the higher the chance for rain. You'd never get anywhere predicting weather that way. Way too many other factors involved. Commercial aviation is considerably safer now than 50 years ago even though there are a lot more airplanes flying.

keuleatr72

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:07 pm

A Lufthansa flight just took off from MRS. Flightnumber is LH9881, an A321 (D-AISZ) which may have brought in the teams of LH and 4U. Appears to be heading home.

kl911

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:08 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 38):
It is said 43 Spains and 67 Germans. Rest is not published yet.

Dutch government has confirmed at least 1 fatality, a 20 year old girl/woman.

MadameConcorde

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 72):
I know some of you are upset that the rescue operation was stopped at night. From what I read, they determined there were no survivors. Apparently, the impact has dismembered all aboard. I am sure they went and looked thoroughly through the crash site in hopes of finding survivors.

Tr. Le Figaro:
La nuit tombée, les hélicoptères restent au sol
La nuit tombée, les hélicoptères de secours ont arrêté de survoler la zone du crash. Ils reprendront leurs recherches demain matin, au lever du soleil, selon la gendarmerie.

After dark, the helicopters remain on the ground
At night, rescue helicopters have stopped flying over the crash area. They will resume their search tomorrow morning at sunrise, according to police.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualites/20...elonnette-barcelone-dusseldorf.php

Une nouvelle photo des lieux de l'accident
Certains débris était encore fumant quand elle a été prise.

A new picture of the accident scene
Some debris were still smoking when the picture was taken.

https://twitter.com/ARancoule/status/580436047173165056/photo/1

wilco737
Topic Author

Quoting keuleatr72 (Reply 82):

Yes, it was a flight from FRA to MRS and now heading back to FRA.

And another airplane coming from BWE is ANE5391 (EC-ITU) which has a team on board as well.

wilco737

javierglez

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:09 pm

Quoting BaconButty (Reply 73):
Could you share the figures?

Obviously I'm no big fish, thus I don't have statistics, but since AF447 I've heard more than once that some airbus craft had had a stretch of steep descent and the crew had had a bad time to try to find out a solution to regain control.

pvjin

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:11 pm

Perhaps there was a decompression that quickly incapacitated pilots who for a reason or another didn't follow proper procedures or didn't have enough time to do so. Before passing out they could have managed to set the autopilot to descend to a certain altitude. I guess normal procedure in such a situation would be setting the autopilot to descend to 10k feet, however under hypoxia they could have very well set it to something lower by accident.

Maybe then they lost consciousness before they had time to turn the aircraft from its original course to avoid mountains. I guess diversion to Marseille or some other coastal airport would have been the most logical way of action.

Probably severe fumes could have also resulted in loss on consciousness, after all there have been a lot of fume incidents lately.

[Edited 2015-03-24 12:11:57]

exfss

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Quoting hivue (Reply 81):
No. That's like saying the larger the number of clouds in the sky the higher the chance for rain. You'd never get anywhere predicting weather that way. Way too many other factors involved. Commercial aviation is considerably safer now than 50 years ago even though there are a lot more airplanes flying.

hehehe well i should answer to you( as an ex weather observer for aviation (flight service specialist) that the more cloud in the sky,the more chance of rain, is not far from the truth indeed...
I agree that flying is way safer as the years go by.
Still i think the more plane in the air, the more chance of something wrong happening, which is not at all saying that the security of flying is lower.

Aloha717200

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:13 pm

Any news lately of that potential survivor?

Gasman

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:14 pm

That's like saying the larger the number of clouds in the sky the higher the chance for rain.

Which is in fact correct, if they are rain clouds.

If the rate of air crashes is x per million flights, the more flights there are, the more numerical crashes there will be without any actual change in safety, or risk. The original poster exfss is correct.

Commercial aviation is considerably safer now than 50 years ago even though there are a lot more airplanes flying.

A better way of stating this would be "Commercial aviation is considerably safer now than 50 years ago regardless of whether there are a lot more airplanes flying".

Sorry if this has been discussed, but was there ANY interaction between ATC and the flight crew? It seems that for at least eight minutes, this flight strongly deviated from the assigned height, so I would imaging that there should have been some inquiry from the ground (would it be Marseille ?) as to why they were descending.

jetblueguy22

Quoting pvjin (Reply 87):
Perhaps there was a decompression that quickly incapacitated pilots who for a reason or another didn't follow proper procedures or didn't have enough time to do so. Before passing out they could have managed to set the autopilot to descend to a certain altitude. I guess normal procedure in such a situation would be setting the autopilot to descend to 10k feet, however under hypoxia they could have very well set it to something lower by accident.

First reaction is always to go for the oxygen. You don't mess with the autopilot then decide to save yourself. Commercial pilots know the hypoxia symptoms. Hypoxia makes your mind a little loopy. But if you are conscious enough to come up with a game plan what to do, that game plan will include getting your mask on.
Pat

pvjin

Quoting javierglez (Reply 86):
Obviously I'm no big fish, thus I don't have statistics, but since AF447 I've heard more than once that some airbus craft had had a stretch of steep descent and the crew had had a bad time to try to find out a solution to regain control.

If that had been the case here I'm sure pilots would have let ATC know about control problems, they had plenty of time. As the aircraft descended steadily, seemingly under control I doubt the pilots were too busy fighting for control either. I think it's safe to assume they were incapacitated for a reason or another, deliberate action is another option.

LTC8K6

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:15 pm

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 89):
Any news lately of that potential survivor?

I think the pics of the crash site speak for themselves.

A survivor would be a miracle.

pelican

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:17 pm

May all passengers and crew rest in peace!

Spiegel Online (not a reliable source on such matters) reports that D-AIPX was grounded for several hours yesterday due to problems with the nose landing gear door.

pelican

bralo20

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:18 pm

Quoting MVAair (Reply 51):

The idiot media will say the plane was too old if it was built in 1990.

If the plane didn't receive the Extended Service Goal program then it was close to the end of it's Designed Service Goal and then you can call it "old"

Normal Service goal:

60.000 Flight Hours
48.000 Flight Cycles

After receiving the program:

120.000 Flight Hours
60.000 Flight Cycles

It's unclear wetter this plane did receive the modification or not... (the plane had 58.300 hours and 46.700 cycles)

LTC8K6

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:18 pm

I didn't see it asked earlier.

What are the regs about using oxygen for this flight?

Is it the rule about one pilot leaving the cockpit and the other pilot going on oxygen?

Or would one or both have been on oxygen already for flight at FL380?

wilco737
Topic Author

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:20 pm

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 97):

No, not at FL380. Even if one leaves the cockpit, the other doesn't have to put on the oxygen mask.

The time of useful consciousness is long enough at that altitude to put on your oxygen mask.

But who knows what happened here. We have to wait and see.

wilco737

LTC8K6

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:21 pm

Quoting pelican (Reply 95):
D-AIPX was grounded for several hours yesterday due to problems with the nose landing gear door.

How would that cause this, though?

It seems like it must have been sudden, like a windscreen failure.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos