Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airbazar

RE: Emirates Announces Orlando Effective 01SEP15

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:02 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 91):
But I'm always impressed when people fly 15 hours in economy with their crying babies just to visit Disneyland ....

I wouldn't fly for 1 hour with a silent adult, to go to Disney but I'm always amazed at how many people are so passionate about everything Disney, even borderline brainwashed. I know people who are unemployed and can't afford to pay their bills but somehow figure out a way to take their kids to Disney World during February vacation. True story.

Quoting ckfred (Reply 94):
So, who will be flying F and J on Emirates? Can Emirates really generate enough traffic from Africa, India, and Asia to get enough people on a 777-200 that the flight makes money?

If I were a betting man I'd bet on this becoming a 2-class A380.

And as far the catchment area for this route, lets not forget this:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article1981627.html

BobbyPSP

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:05 pm

Disney hotels Swan and Dolphin are huge convention properties attached to an equally huge convention hall. I've worked several high tech conferences there.

mi5flyer

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:23 pm

There is another lounge adjacent to the Delta Sky Club. I'm not sure what airline had it before but it was actually kitted out quite nicely so I could see that space being made available. Whatever the location, I'm sure it's was hashed out prior to the announcement.

Malayil

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:50 pm

Very surprised MCO has got in before MIA, EWR, ATL, DTW and PHL. Anyone else reckon we will see more new US destinations?

Miami

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:56 pm

Quoting Malayil (Reply 103):
Anyone else reckon we will see more new US destinations?

We probably will see at least 1 more US City announced around the end of the year.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

jetblue1965

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:59 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 92):

Great point. They really have little competition in this regards where as you pointed out MIA has the 2nd largest European airline presence in the U.S. With EK fares they will try to take in everything that was going to MCO in their region. Very interesting move considering the political climate with the carriers as well.

MIA might have broader European airline choice but in terms of seats I would imagine both ORD and IAD would have just as many.

yowza

Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:02 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 83):
For the same reason that people from Japan and Europe go to Orlando now. None of those destinations, not even Disneyland, are even remotely close to what Orlando has to offer. I'm not Disney fan, in fact I hate the place, but Orlando is a lot more than just Disney World. Orlando and Florida as a whole are a destination while those other places a mere parks.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I'm not writing this off by any means it just took me a bit by surprise. Let's see what shakes out.

YOWza

B8887

Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:36 pm

About what percentage of pax do you think will not have the MCO area as a final destination or origin?

Florida is a very wealthy state after all, with lots of purchasing power and spare money...

Regards.

B8887

Miami

Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:42 pm

Quoting B8887 (Reply 107):
Florida is a very wealthy state after all, with lots of purchasing power and spare money...

Where do you think most of that comes from?
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

continental004

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:51 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 100):
I wouldn't fly for 1 hour with a silent adult, to go to Disney but I'm always amazed at how many people are so passionate about everything Disney, even borderline brainwashed. I know people who are unemployed and can't afford to pay their bills but somehow figure out a way to take their kids to Disney World during February vacation. True story.

I know how you feel, especially living in LA so close to Disneyland. If you speak anything ill of Disney parks, you will be seen by these people like a traitor and they will assail you as such. I live only about 25 miles from Disneyland but I have only been there 5 times in the last 15 years - two of which were school-sponsored trips (8th grade annual class trip in 2003; Grad Night in 2007). I cannot even begin to count how many people my age have annual passes and will think of nothing of dropping hundreds of dollars for a pass, even if they work a minimum-wage job or are a "broke" college student! One of the managers at my work who is a couple of years older than I am goes to Disneyland at least twice a month, if not more!

When I visited Paris five years ago, I thought nothing about visiting Disneyland Paris. Why visit the same thing you can see at home? Well, when I told my Disney-obsessed cousin about my trip, it was as if I committed a mortal sin by skipping Disney (Not surprisingly, she and her husband went there for their honeymoon a couple years later)!

A close friend of mine is similarly obsessed with Disney. He has told me and another close friend of ours that he will visit Paris, Tokyo or Hong Kong just to go to the Disney park - this practically enrages our other friend who is more expressive about our shared opinion that it's an odd idea at best, a slap in the face to the local culture at worst!

flymia

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:59 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 105):
MIA might have broader European airline choice but in terms of seats I would imagine both ORD and IAD would have just as many.
MIA has 18 European carriers. ORD has 15 including TK, IAD has 12 . When we include seats from domestic carriers then the numbers and destinations amounts are different. But for what EK wants to do, with Miami with that many carriers plus QR going daily I can see why MCO is a better choice for their first Florida market.

Quoting B8887 (Reply 107):
About what percentage of pax do you think will not have the MCO area as a final destination or origin?

Not many IMO. Tampa is near by but it is not a big time international destination. If someone is going to fly 15+ hours to visit Florida though many will visit both Orlando and Miami. So I am sure there will be plenty of people who visit both areas. But people going to MCO to go to another city in Florida. The drive is 3.5-5 hours depending on traffic between Orlando and Miami. Add in gas and tolls, with a large choice of euro carriers into Miami and QR I doubt many will be flying EK to go to Southeast Florida only. Orlando+Southeast Florida, sure. The rest of Florida is not huge on international tourist besides for the German niche market at RSW and now growing into the TPA area and Brits who travel on the west coast of Florida as well.

[Edited 2015-03-25 12:59:44]
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

FlyingSicilian

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:28 pm

Quoting continental004 (Reply 109):
A close friend of mine is similarly obsessed with Disney. He has told me and another close friend of ours that he will visit Paris, Tokyo or Hong Kong just to go to the Disney park - this practically enrages our other friend who is more expressive about our shared opinion that it's an odd idea at best, a slap in the face to the local culture at worst!

Or let them do what they like, and you do what you like, and everyone can be happy...
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

LAX772LR

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:13 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 82):

No one is going to transfer international US international thanks to US regs which prohibit such transfers while staying in holding rooms

What are you talking about, people do just that all day every day. As mentioned prior, several US airports advertise the ease at which intl-intl cnnx can flow through their new(ish) or redesigned facilities.

And besides, no one asked you to repeat the same (false) statement. Let's review, the request was:

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 73):
Please share with us the data that show just where B6 pax are transferring at MCO, since you claim to know such to the point of being able to exclude pin-pointed routes.

...we're waiting.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

tjh8402

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:16 pm

Awesome! Congrats to my hometown airport and EK. Can't wait to see that beautiful bird on approach. I can't find any hard numbers to back this up, but my observations from working both at an Orlando area FBO and at a Fire Department that covers the attractions area is that there are no shortage of visitors from the Middle East specifically that come here. I find it a bit ironic that not a week after the "first Florida airport with service to Asia" thread generally concluded that MCO couldn't sustain a 15 hours ULH flight that we have the announcement of just such a route. I am also a bit surprised at the equipment choice. Like others said, I would've thought a higher density 77W (two class if they have them) would've been the better choice, but maybe range would've been an issue? It's 6738 NM DXB-MCO. According to Boeing's chart, the 77W would be payload limited whereas the 77L could still comfortably make it both ways. Florida is a big agricultural state, so I guess there's potential for export of produce in the belly?

I should add that there are a few other things that could make this route appealing. the University of Central Florida in Orlando is actually a top engineering school (disclosure, my alma mater), and there were many students of Middle Eastern and South Asian background there. Florida in general is a popular flight training locale for foreign students. We see them all the time at my FBO stopping by doing cross countries. Aerosim, Flight Safety, Bristow, ERAU are all close to MCO. Orlando also has the second largest convention center in the country, and I believe it actually has the most single room space of any (supposedly one of the reasons NBAA likes to have their show here), and as others have mentioned, many of the hotels here have convention center space as well. I wonder how much/if the All Aboard Florida rail initiative has played into this? For those that talk up Miami, keep in mind that AAF is slated to have high speed rail service to Miami, with the Orlando station being at MCO. Could ease of customs also play into this route decision? The 1140 arrival time is comfortably between the red eye arrivals from Brazil and the afternoon heavies rush from Europe and Brazil (again). I read on here about the nightmare that is customs at airports like MIA and LAX - has anyone had experience with MCO at a non peak time? Maybe connecting to another flight, even an international one wouldn't be that much of a pain, especially since it's a relatively early arrival? It's not like MCO is a particularly challenging airport to get around.

Since this is a leisure route and theoretically less demanding of frequency, it does make you wonder if this could grow enough to support a high density A380, at least seasonally. That would be a sight.

airbazar

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:08 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 112):
What are you talking about, people do just that all day every day. As mentioned prior, several US airports advertise the ease at which intl-intl cnnx can flow through their new(ish) or redesigned facilities.

IIRC the U.S. is still the largest connecting point for travelers between Latin America and Asia. Some, perhaps a lot of the market share has been lost to Europe and a small amount to the ME carriers but I believe the U.S. is still the largest.
And yes some airports make it easy but I can't comment on it because I've never done it myself. I do know that IAH for example, has dedicated immigration booths for passengers doing intl-intl connections. I don't know what other airports have such dedicated channels.

Rdh3e

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:18 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 114):
IIRC the U.S. is still the largest connecting point for travelers between Latin America and Asia

I posted the data for a sample of the larger markets and you'd be surprised, the US carriers are quite far down the list. The ME3 and Euro carriers capture a large majority of the traffic anywhere they have a flight. Otherwise, if US carriers are the only option then yeah, US carriers do okay.

[Edited 2015-03-25 15:24:55]

flymia

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:27 pm

Quoting tjh8402 (Reply 113):
I find it a bit ironic that not a week after the "first Florida airport with service to Asia" thread generally concluded that MCO couldn't sustain a 15 hours ULH flight that we have the announcement of just such a route.

To be fair it is EK. In that thread we are talking more about carriers like JAL, ANA, CX. EK cost structure is completely different. Is EK at MCO a surprise? Yes. But Far East Asia-MCO and EK on DXB-MCO are different ball games. At least IMO.

and there were many students of Middle Eastern and South Asian background there.

While true, this could be said about any University in a major U.S. city.

Maybe connecting to another flight, even an international one wouldn't be that much of a pain, especially since it's a relatively early arrival?

On what airline? B6 is the only one with any type of agreement with EK at MCO.

Could ease of customs also play into this route decision?

This does not seem to be a consideration of any airline. I think the level of competition at other airports like EWR, MIA and ATL played the biggest part.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

tjh8402

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:46 pm

At the risk of turning this into a Florida advertisement, I did some quick looking around and here's other things I found that might be of interest to EK and its passengers besides the mouse and what I mentioned above:

US Central Command, which covers all US MIlitary in the Middle East, is in Tampa, less than two hours from MCO. I dunno that DOD would use EK, but I imagine its possible that plenty of other people would have reason to transition between Fl and the ME.

Both Northrop Grumman and Lockheed Martin have big presences in this area. LM has two big plants in Orlando and one in Ocala, and NG has a presence in Orlando, St Augustine, and a big plant in Melbourne (2 hours away). many other major defense and aerospace companies are within a few hours drive of Orlando. I know it's a biased pro Florida source, but the map in this brochure gives an idea of who is around Orlando (and perhaps closer to MCO than MIA).
http://www.enterpriseflorida.com/wp-...ief-aviation-aerospace-florida.pdf

Jacksonville is about 2.5 hours drivetime away and is a major rail hub with both East Coast Class 1s meeting there, as well as Class II Florida East Coast Railway, and has a deep water port (with plans currently in the works to deepen the water to allow it to receive the largest, heaviest container ships from Asia)

http://jacksonville.com/business/201...ip-yet-mol-competence-weighs-about

EK should look into a partnership or at least interline with 3M, since they're the main intrastate airline in Florida. They connect MCO to 7 other Florida cities (including FLL) as well as CHS and a bunch of Bahamian destinations. If you don't want to fly commercial or drive, there's no shortage of King Airs, Lears, Citations, and Beechjets on charter certificates in Florida ready to pick you up from MCO and take you wherever you want to go (Signature and Atlantic's MCO FBO's must be happy) for probably less than you paid for that round trip J class ticket. Does EK have any bizjet operator partners? I know Flexjet has an alliance with QR and KE.

[Edited 2015-03-25 16:13:30]

lightsaber

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:54 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 4):

Well played. MIA and DTW were my first picks if that helps..

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 31):

I didn't see this. MCO wasn't even on my radar. MIA, EWR, ATL, DTW, and even BWI were ahead. Heck, SAN if aeK ever buys the right equipment. I need to check, but I think I lost 3 beer bets on this...

Now to read more in order to make sense...

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 99):

EK is very numbers run.

Quoting continental004 (Reply 109):

I'm debating in a few years getting a Disney star pass to explore the global parks. Then again I'm probably joining the Disney dads group as I already have the passes... Its like a fitbit or Diet coke, there is a high risk off addiction with Disney.

Now where will 'Disney Arabia' be built? IMHO past due to serve the ME and Indian markets. I doubt it will be in India due to permit, land, and corporate investment laws. Disney will demand a large plot of land with rights to build amazing hotel and convention facilities. Could there be a chance?

Lightsaber
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

frostyj

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:02 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 83):

Big deal Florida sees over 1,000,000 brits a year
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

727LOVER

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:32 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 4):
Me when I saw the thread title and after I opened the thread.

Why?
God forbid another florida airport gets a new airline. DAB is getting B6, do you need tissues for THAT????

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 28):
I'm surprised! I would've expected EWR, MIA and ATL before Orlando.
Quoting mah4546 (Reply 26):
Not entirely surprising to see Orlando, but before Atlanta, Miami and/or Newark, or even Detroit, I do find surprising.

Is ATL that important an O & D market to DXB?

Quoting BGIplanefreak (Reply 62):
I was on an AC flight from MCO to Montreal last month, and once again I was surprised, this time by the large number of people I overheard saying that they drove down from Jacksonville and Tampa to pick up the flight.

Very strange considering there's TPA-YUL service

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 70):
What I see is a very low yield, leisure destination.

Don't airlines need to fly to low-yielding vacation destinations to placate FFers cashing in reward miles Do you want a free trip to Pittsburgh or Orlando/Caribbean/Hawaii?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Miami

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:44 pm

Where should they go next? They have planes available.

Check this out, great read and discusses what I said above.

http://www.experiencetheskies.com/em...orlando-where-are-they-going-next/

Miami

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:48 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 120):
Why?
God forbid another florida airport gets a new airline. DAB is getting B6, do you need tissues for THAT????

Have a sense of humor.

airbazar

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:27 am

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 115):

I posted the data for a sample of the larger markets and you'd be surprised, the US carriers are quite far down the list. The ME3 and Euro carriers capture a large majority of the traffic anywhere they have a flight. Otherwise, if US carriers are the only option then yeah, US carriers do okay.

No one is debating that. What I said is that the U.S. (as in, ALL U.S. airports combined, not airlines) see more connecting passengers between Latin America and Asia (this includes U.S. and foreign airlines), than all EU or all ME airports combined. As you said, it shouldn't be surprising given the sheer volume and destinations between U.S. hubs and Latin America. Even the ME carriers use U.S. airports such as IAH and DFW to transfer passengers between Asia and LatAm, hence why IAH has dedicated channels for exactly those passengers.

My comment was in response to reply 82 in which the poster suggested, quite falsely that:
"No one is going to transfer international US international thanks to US regs which prohibit such transfers while staying in holding rooms. The need to enter the U.S. and then exit to do the transfer has made a scenario DXB-MCO-BOG on B6 unrealistic."
It is false because it happens by the thousands every day.

jfklganyc

Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:09 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 112):
Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 82):

No one is going to transfer international US international thanks to US regs which prohibit such transfers while staying in holding rooms

And besides, no one asked you to repeat the same (false) statement. Let's review, the request was:

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 73):
Please share with us the data that show just where B6 pax are transferring at MCO, since you claim to know such to the point of being able to exclude pin-pointed routes.

...we're waiting.

Keep waiting

. I am not sure what you are asking relative to my original statement.

My original statement was and is that B6 is providing no feed to the EK flight because

1. All their domestic flights go two hours north

2. Their Carribbean flights involve an international to international connection in the US which is a ridiculous pain in the neck compared to any other country

So I'm not sure what data you want relative to B6 and my original statement.

But look at the B6 system from MCO:

Domestic North

Bos
Buf
Syr
Roc
Bdl
Ewr
Jfk
Lga
Swf
Hpn
Orh
Pvd
Dca

International

DR
Mexico City (soon)
Cun
Columbia
Costa Rica
Nas

Domestic South

PR

So what is feeding this flight to DXB from MCO via B6?

usxguy

Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:46 am

there are a LOT of people in Central Florida that will use EK to fly to the Middle East, Africa, and parts of Asia....
xx

MCOGVADCA

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:20 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 124):
2. Their Carribbean flights involve an international to international connection in the US which is a ridiculous pain in the neck compared to any other country

This has been answered, but your opinion that no one would opt for an international transfer in the US is ridiculous. What are the alternatives? Places like NAS, MBJ, and SDQ don't offer a lot of alternative connecting points outside of the US, and most of the alternatives they do have don't offer timely connections to ME/India/SE Asia, or they involve significant backtracking. The notion that someone would avoid changing in the US in favor of an 8 hour layover is absurd.
18 months: pvg sea lax mco lgw stn rak cmn saw tlv ltn gva mrs lys lhr mia gig jfk sof pmi kut ktw nce fni dfw bsl oak

S75752

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:26 am

Quoting ojas (Thread starter):

I guess that should settle the EK MIA debate now
Quoting Malayil (Reply 103):
Very surprised MCO has got in before MIA, EWR, ATL, DTW and PHL. Anyone else reckon we will see more new US destinations?

Wait what the hell, I thought they already served MIA, with recent news of an A380 upgrade... What airline was I thinking of then?!

Didn't they serve PHL for a while at some point?

MAH4546

Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:26 am

Quoting S75752 (Reply 127):
Wait what the hell, I thought they already served MIA, with recent news of an A380 upgrade... What airline was I thinking of then?!

Qatar flies to MIA (and PHL) and is upgauging the route to a 77W (downgauging PHL to a 77L) in May.
a.

B8887

Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:02 am

Quoting tjh8402 (Reply 117):
Jacksonville is about 2.5 hours drivetime away and is a major rail hub with both East Coast Class 1s meeting there, as well as Class II Florida East Coast Railway, and has a deep water port (with plans currently in the works to deepen the water to allow it to receive the largest, heaviest container ships from Asia)

Exactly.

2.5 hours is a perfectly fine driving time to start a long haul journey. The catchment area of MCO ends up being bigger than MIA when you take this into account.

Look at the location of MCO within Florida. Right in the middle. When you add up all the tourism traffic, MCO makes perfect sense.

B8887

adamh8297

Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:24 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 124):
International

So what is feeding this flight to DXB from MCO via B6?

I'm wondering that too the flight time just doesn't work for a lot of B6 connections. I think CM MCO-PTY has the potential to offer feed more than anything.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

rtalk25

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:20 pm

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 26):
Well, no, it's not. Traffic figures don't support that assertion. Orlando is very U.S./UK-centric, along with Brazil.

Easy to stimulate, though, so a lot of Emirates key beyond markets from Orlando are going to grow in big numbers and insanely fast.

Possibly India-DXB-MCO will be supported a lot, since Indians like Disney and Universal and many don't like traveling to the East coast when it's otherwise cold in the winter. But a direct trip to warm Florida can be year round. But I can't expect it being high yield traffic.

727LOVER

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 122):
Have a sense of humor.

OK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

But seriously, you provided what seems to be the best explanation

Quoting Miami (Reply 20):
It appears Orlando was the largest connecting market from JFK to DXB.

I wonder what this service will do to this:
National Airlines Seeks Orlando-Dubai (with 757) (by LAXintl Jun 12 2014 in Civil Aviation)

Guess this thread wasn't so dumb after all:
Which Florida City Will See First Asian Service? (by Max Q Jan 30 2015 in Civil Aviation)
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Miami

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:40 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 132):

You do realize that yes, it's true. MCO is the largest connecting market from JFK to DXB but do you also realize there's other markets and airlines airlines that can provide something similar?

For example: MIA-DOH-DXB, FLL-ATL-DXB, PHX-LAX-DXB, etc..

It's a bit hard to explain but I'm sure you know what I mean.

RyanairGuru

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:56 pm

Regarding international-international connections, let me say that the transit process really isn't that bad. I have done it quite a few times when it was the only available connection or when chasing the lowest price, and would definitely do so again if that was necessary. The US is still far and away the worse transit point I can think of anywhere in the world, but it is manageable.

BUT, and this is the important part, I am a citizen of a Visa Waiver country. If I had to apply for a US Visa to transit I can promise you sincerely that I would take any other option, no matter how long or inconvenient, as that would be a sound investment in my time compared to dealing with the visa process. If you have never had to apply for a visa for the USA then you really can't imagine just how awful it is. Relevant to this thread, of course a lot of LatAm,
ME and Asia isn't Visa Waiver.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

MAH4546

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:59 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 134):
BUT, and this is the important part, I am a citizen of a Visa Waiver country. If I had to apply for a US Visa to transit I can promise you sincerely that I would take any other option, no matter how long or inconvenient, as that would be a sound investment in my time compared to dealing with the visa process. If you have never had to apply for a visa for the USA then you really can't imagine just how awful it is. Relevant to this thread, of course a lot of LatAm,

But here's the thing: people in these countries, the ones that travel often, they traditionally have multi-year U.S. visas that are often valid for 5-10 years.

It's not a big deal - most Latin American/Caribbean islanders who are travelling around the world have a U.S. visa in the first place!
a.

TPAfan

Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:24 am

Quoting usxguy (Reply 125):
there are a LOT of people in Central Florida that will use EK to fly to the Middle East, Africa, and parts of Asia....

Not sure if I'm supposed to detect sarcasm here or not. Maybe you're hinting at the reality that Orlando is only a medium sized metro, third in the state, that reflects its more international side by the amount of Hispanic residents, or are one of those people who sees a few arabs and asians and say "They are everywhere, trust me, Orlando has got alot of them."

MCOGVADCA

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:04 am

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 135):
But here's the thing: people in these countries, the ones that travel often, they traditionally have multi-year U.S. visas that are often valid for 5-10 years.

It's not a big deal - most Latin American/Caribbean islanders who are travelling around the world have a U.S. visa in the first place!

Exactly. As well, some countries use the US visa as their own de facto visa. For example, Chinese citizens traveling to the Bahamas don't need a Bahamian visa, just a US one (which is now good for ten years). Cuts down on unnecessary bureaucracy/costs for smaller nations while encouraging more visitors to experience their country.

In other words, as MAH4546 indicated, a significant portion of non-visa-waiver travelers changing in the States will already have US visas.
18 months: pvg sea lax mco lgw stn rak cmn saw tlv ltn gva mrs lys lhr mia gig jfk sof pmi kut ktw nce fni dfw bsl oak

SCL767

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:20 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 59):
Because for just about anyone in Latin America or Asia they need a US Transit Visa.

Just to clarify your statement about "just about anyone in Latin America", Chilean citizens do not require visas to enter or transit in the U.S. (as well as Canada).

airbazar

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:45 am

Quoting rtalk25 (Reply 131):
But I can't expect it being high yield traffic.

Hence why I think it will be a 2 class A380 soon  
Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 134):
Relevant to this thread, of course a lot of LatAm,

It's not an issue now for the thousands who trnsit in the U.S. every year however it does pose a threat to growing that market.
The U.S. is a big tourist draw for Latin Americans. They will likely visit the U.S. before they go on to visit Europe or Asia, hence why they're likely to already have a visa. That is even more so for business travelers and frequent fliers.

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 135):

ualcsr

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:22 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 24):

Hence why this route makes no sense unless there's something else behind it. MCO is leisure destination; MIA has a leisure market but it also has a huge business, high yielding market.

This is a PDF link, but it's a nice little report put together by Mastercard (not Wikipedia) on overnight visitor spending. MIA is there; MCO doesn't even appear in the top 10 in the US. It's all about the $$$.

http://newsroom.mastercard.com/wp-co...d_GDCI_2014_Letter_Final_70814.pdf

MAH4546

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:57 pm

Quoting UALCSR (Reply 140):
Hence why this route makes no sense unless there's something else behind it. MCO is leisure destination; MIA has a leisure market but it also has a huge business, high yielding market.

In the background of recent events, Orlando and a second daily to Seattle make more sense - these additions are making bold statements about the "power" of the ME3 carriers and the benefits they can provide to the travelling public beyond what is obvious. Adding Miami (or Atlanta for that matter) and a second daily to Los Angeles (or Chicago, San Francisco, etc.) doesn't make a statement - those are things that won't surprise anybody.
a.

Clipper136

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:45 pm

This is a PDF link,

Did you read read the fine print of the report you linked?

Orlando was not one of the surveyed cities. There were 132 total cities surveyed and only 12 were US Cities.
"Visitors" spending surveyed were only for visitors arriving on non-stop direct flights and are of different nationality from the destination.
You can't beat the Experience.

bastew

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:58 pm

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...endants-accuse-gulf-airlines-of-ab

Interesting to see what 'Americans for fair skies' think of the whole MCO thing! Straight on the attack re MCO.

And now even the F/A's union have sent a letter to the US Travel Association asking how they can support airlines with such 'abhorrent labour standards'.

mcogator

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:25 pm

Seems like most are arguing about the business side of this flight being added, but for the consumer side it's great.

For example:

MCO-BKK-MCO
10/3/14-10/17/14

The two cheapest options in Y are:

$1179 UA
$1223 EK

The big difference is that you save 5.5 hours on the outbound and 1.25 hours on the inbound flight. 1 stop vs 2 stops make a huge difference to those not tied down by FF programs, like me.

The only other 1 stop option from MCO is LH, but they're priced at $1917 on those dates. Outbound is almost 2 hours longer. The return flight requires an overnight stay in FRA, so it's 15 hours longer.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

Viscount724

Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:24 am

Many EK destinations are almost entirely leisure. Seychelles, Mauritius, Bali and Phuket to name a few.

peanuts

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:13 am

The Orlando leisure market is clearly being under appreciated in this thread.

You go to Cancun, get a nice hotel, good food and drinks and then: you plunk your butt on the beach. That's it!

You go to Orlando, get a nice hotel, good food and drinks and then: you spend, you spend and you spend some more. Orlando is a huge money pit.

Disney Inc. has a huge, and I mean huge, following from the well to do. Disney knows as well, if not better, then the Las Vegas casinos how to wine and dine these folks and exchange lots of money for their goods and services.

Plus:
Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville folks are still living in double connector traps to many far and away destinations. EK will chisel away a few of these double connects.

wzafar

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:06 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 145):
beh

Didn't they just start DPS or are about to commence it soon?

mcogator

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:41 pm

Quoting peanuts (Reply 146):
You go to Orlando, get a nice hotel, good food and drinks and then: you spend, you spend and you spend some more. Orlando is a huge money pit.

We have the beach as well. We have the Atlantic side, which is a short 30-45 min drive, and then the Gulf side, which is a 75-90 min drive.

Disney Inc. has a huge, and I mean huge, following from the well to do. Disney knows as well, if not better, then the Las Vegas casinos how to wine and dine these folks and exchange lots of money for their goods and services.

Don't forget the huge draw of Harry Potter and Universal. You can also throw in Sea World and Busch Gardens. And our shopping. It's extremely cheap here compared to other places around the globe.

Plus:
Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville folks are still living in double connector traps to many far and away destinations. EK will chisel away a few of these double connects.

More than a few. Basically any location that LH doesn't fly to that EK does. With BA you need to change airports in London.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

peanuts

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:22 pm

Quoting mcogator (Reply 148):

Yes. Central Florida has a lot to offer.
What I was going for is the upper echelon of the tourist though. Disney definitely has that covered. So does Universal. The Grand Floridian Resort is just one example. They know where the money is.

Busch Gardens and Sea World are a different category and have been on the decline somewhat. The whole Fun Card has taken it down a few notches. Certain people wont be seen there anymore.

EK will do well at MCO. In different segments of the market.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos