Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Whiteguy

RE: Germanwings A320 Crashed Enroute BCN-DUS - Part 7

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:19 am

Quoting hivue (Reply 61):
So when a pilot leaves the flight deck the door locks behind him from the inside only. However, the cabin crew have a secret code to get into the flight deck if necessary. However... the pilot remaining on the flight deck has a magic switch that keeps the secret code from working for 5 minutes. Or longer than 5 minutes if it's set differently. Sounds like a cockpit door designer who should actually be doing games for Nintendo.

Depends what the airlines procedure is. With us, prior to entering the code we call the front to verify we're coming back up and identify ourselves. We then enter the code and are allowed to enter. If someone tries to enter the code without calling up front first then we can lock them out.

wjcandee

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:22 am

Tomorrow will be an important news day. As I said earlier, the BEA isn't saying anything but give it a few hours and we'll have some leaks. And Voila!

If there is even an inkling of truth to the NYT article, then the police are tearing apart the home of the flying pilot, and we will see if there is any indication of suicidal intent. If there was such intent, there is a better-than-even chance that there will be conclusive evidence or suggestive evidence. A note. Some preparation like leaving the will on the dining room table. A discovery of a need for a large amount of money by the family. Something. If the motivation is political rather than personal, then even more likelihood that something will break.

We may or not be told about it from officials tomorrow, but, again, there will be leaks.

Or maybe we will find out that the Times has been punked, again. Baba-Booey!!

It sure will be interesting.

32andBelow

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:24 am

The Flight Data recorder will either immediately confirm or deny the suicide theory. Either the flying pilot set the plane to descend or he did not. And the way the inputs were entered will be key.

LTC8K6

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:34 am

AI Flight 403 was an A320 with a locked out pilot.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome...g-Bhopal-pilot-locked-cockpit.html

flyzapper

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:34 am

Does anybody know if the FDR records the position of the door lock switch in the cockpit?

TheRedBaron

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:44 am

Its a sad situation if the NY times leak is true .

I am siding with my fellow AR385 on this one, the pilot went out to the lav, the switch was on the lock position, and the remaining pilot had a pressurization trouble, he selected a shallow decent in the AP, and somehow became incapacitated, maybe the oxygen mask failed, or had a heart attack stroke, whatever, and the other pilot tried to gain access to the cockpit and could not.... tragic.

I bet this will make some people rethink cockpit procedures, in my view its easily fixed by putting a small lav inside the cockpit...

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

LTC8K6

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:46 am

Quoting TheRedBaron (Reply 105):

Why would he put the switch in LOCK when the other pilot left?

Seems like that would be unusual. Should be in NORM?

tailskid

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:49 am

I am siding with my fellow AR385 on this one,

It doesn't matter who you side with or what anyone here currently thinks. The only thing that matters as far as this conversation goes is: what really happened?

Your post reminds me of another thread here where some people seem to think that if they just pretend hard enough, they can change what has already passed.

avek00

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:58 am

I am siding with my fellow AR385 on this one, the pilot went out to the lav, the switch was on the lock position, and the remaining pilot had a pressurization trouble, he selected a shallow decent in the AP, and somehow became incapacitated, maybe the oxygen mask failed, or had a heart attack stroke, whatever, and the other pilot tried to gain access to the cockpit and could not

Too far-fetched for serious belief.

If the NYT report is true, there are two precisely options left:

1. Pilot murder-suicide; or

2. Hijacker murder-suicide.

The authorities likely believe #1 the most probable scenario, in part because they're not releasing information about the flight crew's identity in order to secure evidence and info before rapacious European media and paprazzi taint the inquiry.
Live life to the fullest.

AR385

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:05 am

I am siding with my fellow AR385 on this one, the pilot went out to the lav, the switch was on the lock position, and the remaining pilot had a pressurization trouble, he selected a shallow decent in the AP, and somehow became incapacitated, maybe the oxygen mask failed, or had a heart attack stroke, whatever, and the other pilot tried to gain access to the cockpit and could not.... tragic.

Thanks. I´m just not willing to switch over to the suicide theory yet. A lot of info. is still to be analyzed to reach said conclusion.

Interesting account here, sorry, in Spanish only.

http://internacional.elpais.com/inte.../actualidad/1427329690_145707.html

The major thing that strikes me in this article is that it says that the NYT got the info. about the pilot leaving the cockpit from an "anonymous military source". But, while the article mentions that same source says they can hear the intensity of the pilot outside the cockpit hitting the door ever more desperately, when asked what was the reason for such pilot to leave the cockpit in the first place. He "does not know."

So, it is heard in the CVR mics the desperate attempt of said pilot to reenter the cockpit, but he can´t say or doesn´t know what was the reason for him leaving the cockpit in the first place? So any pilot just up an leaves his seat without saying anything to his fellow cockpit member? Nothing that registers on the mics?

I don´t buy it. I can believe that one of the two left the cockpit. I can´t understand why they are not saying the reason. Either the source the NYT is using is making up stories (not likely, sure) or there is a reason why that source stopped short of saying the motive.

It´s not that simple.

No conspiracy theory here. But there is some info. they are holding back.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:05 am

Quoting avek00 (Reply 108):
Too far-fetched for serious belief.

I think a lot of theories are being put forth that are trying really hard to bring together an unbelievable amount of coincidental happenings. However, as they say, "stranger things have happened".

If the NYT report is true, there are two precisely options left:

1. Pilot murder-suicide; or

2. Hijacker murder-suicide.

I would agree almost completely, but I would love to be surprised quite frankly.

The authorities likely believe #1 the most probable scenario, in part because they're not releasing information about the flight crew's identity in order to secure evidence and info before rapacious European media and paprazzi taint the inquiry.

Zeke has said that names are normally released by the coroner, for example, but the longer we go without some info on them, the more it will seem like they are holding info to protect the investigation. I don't have a problem with that, though. More than likely, someone at Germanwings who knows who it was in the cockpit will start anonymously posting info somewhere. We'll probably begin seeing rumors and so forth pretty soon if nothing comes out officially.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

32andBelow

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:08 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 109):
I don´t buy it. I can believe that one of the two left the cockpit. I can´t understand why they are not saying the reason. Either the source the NYT is using is making up stories (not likely, sure) or there is a reason why that source stopped short of saying the motive.

I could easily look at someone in the face and make a nod or gesture and it be understood that I am going to the bathroom.

AR385

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:09 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 111):
I could easily look at someone in the face and make a nod or gesture and it be understood that I am going to the bathroom.

Very true. I did not think of that. You are right.

seahawk

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:11 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 109):
So, it is heard in the CVR mics the desperate attempt of said pilot to reenter the cockpit, but he can´t say or doesn´t know what was the reason for him leaving the cockpit in the first place? So any pilot just up an leaves his seat without saying anything to his fellow cockpit member? Nothing that registers on the mics?

I think most crews would assume that you want to go to the toilet when you push back your seat and stand-up.

aerobus12

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:14 am

Why can't both pilots and FAs have some sort of entry mechanism so that they can enter if there is an emergency? Why not at least the pilots?

LTC8K6

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:16 am

Cockpit recordings recovered from the crash site indicated one of the seats was pushed back and the door opened and closed. Then knocking is heard, said the source, adding "there was no more conversation from that point until the crash".

The source said an alarm indicating the proximity to the ground could be heard before the moment of impact.

http://news.yahoo.com/pilot-locked-c...nwings-crash-source-022140232.html

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:16 am

Quoting seahawk (Reply 113):
I think most crews would assume that you want to go to the toilet when you push back your seat and stand-up.

While I agree that there may have been some non-specific commentary about where the pilot was going, perhaps even some sort of visual cues, I really find it hard to believe that the captain would just get up and leave without verbalizing "something".

I think there's a good chance that the source simply doesn't know what the reason he left was because either his words were somehow indiscernible or just too generic "Be right back" versus "I'm going to go to the restroom. I'll be right back." Therefore, when asked why the captain left the cockpit, "I don't know" might simply mean "the actual reason wasn't clear". However, they apparently know it was the captain so I'm guessing there was some cue (unless his shouting or use of the F/O's name was clear enough).

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

32andBelow

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:17 am

Quoting aerobus12 (Reply 114):

Why can't both pilots and FAs have some sort of entry mechanism so that they can enter if there is an emergency? Why not at least the pilots?

Because if someone held a gun to your head you would probably open the door.

LTC8K6

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:20 am

They do, but to thwart hostage demands, the pilot in the cockpit can keep them out if necessary.

pvjin

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:23 am

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 115):

Sounds awfully much like LAM 470 to me.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

wjcandee

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:27 am

They do. And then to prevent terrorists from taking advantage of that, there is a switch in the cockpit that locks them out that the Captain can push. Which is why there is the US protocol of putting an f/a in the cockpit when one person left; this becomes much more difficult to accomplish.

wilco737

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:31 am

It is still not official. It is not confirmed by the BEA or by LH or GWI.

So, please do not jump onto conclusions again right away.

This all makes me very sad. it is tragic and so sad for all involved, no matter what the cause is.

So let's try to keep it rational and wait for further confirmed details from the autorities...

Thanks guys.

It is a tough time for us...

wilco737

wjcandee

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:31 am

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 115):
Cockpit recordings recovered from the crash site indicated one of the seats was pushed back and the door opened and closed. Then knocking is heard, said the source, adding "there was no more conversation from that point until the crash".

The source said an alarm indicating the proximity to the ground could be heard before the moment of impact.

Okay, so this is Leak Number 2, from a different source close to the investigation (EWAG: A French source) to Agence France-Presse.

Sounds like confirmation to me, and with some interesting additional details.

Wilco, I am so sorry that you have to go through this. But I just wanted to say that it of course does not reflect on the professionals at your airline or its subsidiary, or airline professionals in general. If it shapes up in the direction it seems to be going, it's a one-off and, in some ways, better news for the industry in general because it's a human failure that the public can write off as a freak occurrence, rather than "evidence" of the danger of "old planes" or all the other crap we were hearing at the beginning of the investigation.

[Edited 2015-03-25 23:36:03]

JimJupiter

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:32 am

Quoting DC10LOVER (Reply 39):
Anyone have the names of the pilot and co pilot?

Don't hold your breath. Authorities probably won't release any names, as there are privacy rights in place over here. And I for one am glad about that, as it prevents media and self declared terrorist hunters on the interwebs from molesting friends and families.
One is born, one runs up bills, one dies.

PanHAM

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:36 am

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 96):
I disagree. The policies for its use need attention. This wouldn't have happened in the US, as kind of shown by what happened when a JetBlue pilot had a psychotic break mid-flight.

If that was really the cause, the regulations must be changed. It cannot be that 150 People die because of security regulations. A lot of the post 9/11 regulations are agaoinst common sense and some are even idiotic especially when it comes to cargo. Locking a pilot out of the cockpit, assuming that there really is no way to re-enter except that the other pilot opens from inside (wilco would not confirm that yesterday) than this is a gross safety/security hazard.
Murphy's law would apply and we can only hope that the reports are not true.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

seahawk

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:39 am

US airlines have a policy that a FA enters the cockpit when a pilot goes out. I always thought that this was a good idea.

wilco737

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:41 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 124):
(wilco would not confirm that yesterday)

And I won't. This is security information i won't release.

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 122):
Wilco, I am so sorry that you have to go through this. B

Thanks.

LH doesn't confirm the news as they are not coming from official authorities. It is all maybe leaked information, but not officially confirmed.

wilco737

wjcandee

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:45 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 126):
It is all maybe leaked information, but not officially confirmed.

Absolutely. And it's only one snapshot of a small part of a much bigger canvas. An important part, but there is plainly a much more detailed and involved sequence to investigate, analyze, and use to draw conclusions and recommendations.

[Edited 2015-03-25 23:47:12]

TheSonntag

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:45 am

It is a french investigation but at least in Germany, full names are usually never mentioned by the press when accidents happen. Even in criminal cases this is rate.

32andBelow

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:47 am

Quoting JimJupiter (Reply 123):
Don't hold your breath. Authorities probably won't release any names, as there are privacy rights in place over here. And I for one am glad about that, as it prevents media and self declared terrorist hunters on the interwebs from molesting friends and families.

I have 0 doubt of these names getting out in the next few days.

sharles

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:50 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 129):
I have 0 doubt of these names getting out in the next few days.

That is horrible. There is zero public utility in anyone but the investigators knowing these names.

32andBelow

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:51 am

Quoting sharles (Reply 130):
That is horrible. There is zero public utility in anyone but the investigators knowing these names.

It is just reality. Too many people would know who was on the plane.

[Edited 2015-03-25 23:51:25]

tailskid

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:57 am

If you want to start a thread in the non-aviation section I and many others will debate you on that. But for here we should let that conversation die.

wjcandee

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:58 am

Nice graph in the Economist about airline safety in recent years. A nice thing to look at for those concerned about "all the accidents recently". Not surprisingly, it's clear that the raw number of fatalities has declined, even as air travel has boomed.

http://cdn.static-economist.com/site...ges/articles/20140315_gdc500_0.png

zeke

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:59 am

Quoting litz (Reply 45):
So it IS theoretically possible to disable entry for a period of time that could, possibly, have exceeded the amount of time the plane had in the air, from the initiation of the action, to impact.

Ontop of the electronic lock, there is a physical mechanism that can be used from the inside.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:59 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 131):

It is just reality. Too many people would know who was on the plane.

Sad but true. I'm starting to wonder if I live in the USA or TMZ? It gets to be THAT CRAZY. But - we love to know everything right_now.

Actually, it reminds me of the Eagle's song "Dirty Laundry":

"We got the bubble headed bleach blonde who comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die, give us dirty laundry"

-Dave
-Dave

PanHAM

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:10 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 126):

And I won't. This is security information i won't release.

which I totallly agree to. But we will all see what will happen if the reports are confirmed.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

leo467

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:26 am

Is it just me or are there others who find the actions of the leaking investigator and/or the nyt totally unacceptable?

Now we have speculations all over the place and eg the families who just lost their loved ones are confronted with possibly totally unfounded allegations of suicide/murder/terrorism etc. The BEA was so right not to release info until they have a substantiated case and had the chance to verify info (eg who was in the cockpit if there was just 1 fc left)

I hope that whoever did this will be taken out of the investigation immediately and dealt with adequately. Just my personal opinion

LTC8K6

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:30 am

The BEA is free to discredit the AFP and NYT accounts.

All they have to do is say the stories are not accurate.

SamH123

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:31 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 124):
It cannot be that 150 People die because of security regulations. A lot of the post 9/11 regulations are agaoinst common sense and some are even idiotic especially when it comes to cargo. Locking a pilot out of the cockpit, assuming that there really is no way to re-enter except that the other pilot opens from inside (wilco would not confirm that yesterday) than this is a gross safety/security hazard.
Murphy's law would apply and we can only hope that the reports are not true.

To be honest though, it seems pretty hard to have safety mechanisms in place to significantly alleviate the risk of a rogue pilot?
Okay, a cockpit door that can be locked from the inside can make it more convenient to carry out a suicide but if the door thing wasn't possible, a suicide pilot still has lots of options (bash the other pilot on the head, down the plane quickly before the other pilot gets back e.t.c.)

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 am

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 138):

The BEA is free to discredit the AFP and NYT accounts.

All they have to do is say the stories are not accurate.

True - if they KNOW they aren't accurate. But it could be that the initial investigation gives the pilot murder/suicide concept some wings but they haven't put enough of it together to state it unequivocally. So what do they do, say "Well, their reporting has merit but we can't go into it" or just say "We don't comment on news stories"?

There's probably other things they could say than just my options above but certainly being forced to placate the media due to leaks would seem counter-productive.

-Dave
-Dave

Unflug

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:36 am

Quoting leo467 (Reply 137):
I hope that whoever did this will be taken out of the investigation immediately and dealt with adequately. Just my personal opinion

Absolutely agree.

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 133):
Nice graph in the Economist about airline safety in recent years.

Indeed, thanks for that link.

tailskid

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:36 am

Quoting leo467 (Reply 137):
Now we have speculations all over the place and eg the families who just lost their loved ones are confronted with possibly totally unfounded allegations of suicide/murder/terrorism etc.

Openness keeps many people honest. It comes at a price, but without openness tyrants tend to thrive.

Delta777Jet

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:37 am

IADCA: Even though english not beeing my native language I was right in Part 1 of this, that it was a controlled flight into terrain with pilot trying to get control back on the plane.

Someone working @ LH could may be just reveal if the cockpit door can be opened from the captain in case the other pilot is incapacitated ?

[Edited 2015-03-26 00:43:28]
I still miss Trans World Airlines and the L-1011

LTC8K6

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:39 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 140):

"We do not concur with those conclusions at this time."

That would discredit the stories.

[Edited 2015-03-26 00:40:07]

LXLucien

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:42 am

Just a simple question to some GW experts, does the company employ Pay2Fly Pilots?
Quote "Syriana": "Beirut, it's like Paris in the Mid-East"

MVAair

Th e crew names will get out. It is impossible to keep from the public.

wilco737

Quoting LXLucien (Reply 145):

No, all hired directly by Germanwings or Lufthansa itself. So no pay2fly at all. Zero.

wilco737

AirCalSNA

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:47 am

Quoting MVAair (Reply 146):

Th e crew names will get out. It is impossible to keep from the public.

The sooner the better .... It's odd to me how some of you guys love to kowtow to authority figures.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:47 am

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 144):
"We do not concur with those conclusions at this time."

That would discredit the stories.

Ya I could see that being a decent response. Not sure if it would really change anyone's mind about the leaks but at least it'd be a statement.

-Dave
-Dave

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos