yenne09
Topic Author

Alitalia To Foz Do Iguacu?

Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:48 am

The Paraná state's deputy governor has met Alitalia CEO to convince him to add Foz do Iguaçu to the Alitalia network.

http://aerolatinnews.com/2015/03/26/...-alitalia-de-sumarla-como-destino/

yowza

RE: Alitalia To Foz Do Iguacu?

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:05 pm

I will be shocked if we see AZ here any time soon. I've only ever flown into the Argentine side so I can't say this for sure but I doubt there's even infrastructure to support a widebody... And demand?

YOWza

VCEflyboy

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:09 pm

Not a chance of this happening.

TYCOON

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:10 pm

The Brazilian side can accommodate a widebody. I remember Varig used to have direct, no-change of plane service from Paris to Foz do Iguaçu, with a stop-over in Sao Paulo or Rio (can't remember which one). Flown with either an MD-11 or B763. Only on select days of the week. The other flight was a direct, no-plane change from Paris to Curitiba (via GRU or GIG).

But I honestly do not see Alitalia going to Foz!

migair54

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:13 pm

That won't happen for regular operation, maybe for some charters like they sometimes do ZNZ, but it makes 0 sense to operate that route, even as a tag on of another city.

The Brazil Ian airport has 2200 m runway, so I don't think anything bigger that A320/B737 can operate there.

EMB170

Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:09 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 4):
The Brazil Ian airport has 2200 m runway, so I don't think anything bigger that A320/B737 can operate there.

I agree...I have used both IGU and IGR and I am surprised that IGU could accomodate a widebody...I didn't think their runway was long enough. They don't even have a parallel taxiway to their runway...when I flew out of IGU on JJ we actually got onto the active runway, taxied to the end, and then turned around and took off. I know that IGR can on the Argentina side...if you do a photo search on IGR then you'll actually get a few old photos of AR 747s that showed up from time to time.

As far as AZ serving IGU, though, that's a real shot in the dark if you ask me. The only reason I could think of that such service might be proposed would be as a tag-on...if European airlines serving GIG/GRU do like the US3 do, arriving in the early morning and sitting around all day in GIG/GRU before flying back home late in the evening, perhaps the logic is that the AZ plane would otherwise just be sitting around Galeao, and this way, it would actually be flying. How many Italians visit Foz?
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

goliontus

Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:53 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 4):
The Brazil Ian airport has 2200 m runway, so I don't think anything bigger that A320/B737 can operate there

I have flown IGU-GRU on Varig PP-VOI (Boeing 767-300) and have taken pictures of Varig PP-VRB (Boeing 777-200) at IGU in 2005.

dcajet

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:44 am

There are far more potentially profitable destinations for AZ to serve in Brazil than IGU. Like CNF, REC or BSB.

Probably some wishful thinking from a journalist or from some State of Parana bureaucrat. Sorry to be blunt but I can't think of any way the route makes any sense.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

C010T3

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:13 am

Any intercontinental flight from IGU is definitely infeasible, but the airport does receive its share amount of unusual visitors:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tales De Lass Graciano

bleudefrance

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:36 am

Foz do Iguaçu is one of Brazil's most-frequented tourist destinations, mainly due to the famous Iguazu Falls which is one of the "New Natural Seven Wonders of the World." Surely there is some potential for more tourism in the area, but i'm with you, i do not see Alitalia going there.

incitatus

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:03 pm

If Alitalia adds Foz, it is a sign that Alitalia is indeed doomed.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

VCEflyboy

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:21 pm

Quoting incitatus (Reply 10):

If Alitalia adds Foz, it is a sign that Alitalia is indeed doomed.

Did you even read the article? It says some tourism executive from Parana met with AZ CEO in SP to suggest adding the destination. The airline has nothing to do with it. This is some desperate attempt to grab some headlines. I dont tihnk the airline would even consider it.

These tourism organizations always go out of their way to get some over-exaggerated headlines.
Like not long ago, the Haiwai'ian tourism board said Norwegian flights were imminent.

Marambio

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:55 pm

Quoting EMB170 (Reply 5):
The only reason I could think of that such service might be proposed would be as a tag-on...if European airlines serving GIG/GRU do like the US3 do, arriving in the early morning and sitting around all day in GIG/GRU before flying back home late in the evening, perhaps the logic is that the AZ plane would otherwise just be sitting around Galeao, and this way, it would actually be flying

Taking into account Brazilian regulations are quite protective of local airlines, sounds impossible that AZ would get freedom rights to sell GIG/GRU-IGU tickets.

The Iguazú/Iguaçú area is very well served from EZE/GRU/GIG and even ASU. This looks like another case of a bureaucrat trying to reach the headlines.
Aerolíneas Argentinas - La Argentina que levanta vuelo

29erUSA187

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:14 pm

Quoting C010T3 (Reply 8):

Woah! When was that there? Im almost 10,000% sure that QF never had scheuduled service there

MesaFlyGuy

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:23 pm

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 13):

I'd tend to agree with you, considering the QF plane was classified as an "unusual" visitor.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

C010T3

Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:27 am

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 13):
Woah! When was that there? Im almost 10,000% sure that QF never had scheuduled service there

It's an annual charter service through South America.

SCL767

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:30 am

Quoting Marambio (Reply 12):
The Iguazú/Iguaçú area is very well served from EZE/GRU/GIG and even ASU

LAN Perú also offers daily non-stop flights to Foz do Iguaçu from the LIM hub.

LipeGIG

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:48 am

Not a chance to see that happen.
If IGU wants international services from Europe, shall look for airlines with heavy Y set up.
What drives airlines in Brazil is the business and in certain extent, the high yield leisure. I doubt IGU can provide that type of mix.

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 16):
LAN Perú also offers daily non-stop flights to Foz do Iguaçu from the LIM hub.

GIG and GRU offers around 6x daily. IGU is not an easy market... JJ planned to operate 3x daily from BSB and nowadays they only are able to run 3x/4x weekly.
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

SCL767

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:40 am

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 17):
JJ planned to operate 3x daily from BSB and nowadays they only are able to run 3x/4x weekly.

TAM currently flies 13 weekly flights between BSB and IGU all via CWB. TAM will launch BSB-IGU non-stop thrice weekly starting on April 2nd while maintaining the current services that operate via CWB.

incitatus

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:59 pm

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 17):
Not a chance to see that happen.
If IGU wants international services from Europe, shall look for airlines with heavy Y set up.

Not even so. Tourism in the Falls is different from NE Brazil. Someone from say Scandinavia, can head to Fortaleza and they will be happy to go to the beach 7 days in a row. In fact, after the 7th day, many will be wondering why is it that they did not purchase two weeks. The Falls don't sell stand-alone - they are usually combined with another destination, often times Rio. Who will want to go to Iguassu and spend a whole week going to see the Falls day after day? It is two-day max. The value of a nonstop there is greatly diminished, because the trip will include a stop one way at least..
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

SJOtoLIR

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:03 am

This idea could not be materialized sustainably:

1. AZ may deploy other Brazilian stations prior to IGU.
2. IGU is predominantly oriented for tourism and AZ is focused on the business component.
3. AZ actually code-shares daily on G3 GIG-IGU and G3 GRU-IGU; both served with 737 equipment. In my view, the demand of passengers on AZ matches this pattern.
4. IGU experienced limited flights from abroad. A scheduled route from Europe seems to be exaggerated on a yearly basis. at IGU.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos