Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lpdal
Topic Author

Germanwings A320 Crashed Enroute BCN-DUS - Part 10

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:41 pm

And we are rolling part 10 now, as part 9 has 220+ replies

Here the link to part 9 again: Germanwings A320 Crashed Enroute BCN-DUS - Part 9 (by SpaceshipDC10 Mar 26 2015 in Civil Aviation)

SOME IMPORTANT REMINDERS FOR ALL OUR MEMBERS TO CONSIDER BEFORE POSTING IN THIS THREAD:

**** Out of respect to the crew, passengers and also family members; close to those on board the Germanwings flight; please keep science fiction theories and content related to past / current movies or possible future movie rights out of these threads. ****

**** PLEASE DO NOT REPEAT QUESTIONS AND SCENARIOS THAT HAS BEEN COVERED AND DISCUSSED IN PREVIOUS THREADS AND WHICH DO NOT CONTRIBUTE OR APPLY, IN A CONSTRUCTIVE MANNER, TOWARDS THIS CONVERSATION ANY LONGER. ****

**** Please make an effort to read through some of the threads, if possible the latest in the series, before adding your own comments and theories to the current, active thread on this issue. ****

**** PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL TOWARDS OTHER USERS AND KEEP THE FORUM RULES AND REGULATIONS IN MIND WHEN POSTING IN THE FORUMS. SHOULD THERE BE ANY RULE VIOLATIONS, PLEASE BRING THIS TO THE ATTENTION OF THE MODERATORS BY MAKING USE OF THE SUGGEST DELETION FUNCTION.

**** WHEN STATING FACTS, STATISTICS OR NEWSWORTHY BULLETINS, PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE AN HTML LINK OR REFERENCE TO A PUBLICATION. IF YOU ARE MERELY PROVIDING AN OPINION, PLEASE MENTION THIS IN YOUR POST. ALL MEMBERS ARE RESPONSIBLE TO AVOID ARGUMENTS BASED ON RUMORS OR MISINFORMATION

**** Some members may not be aware of the fact that all members have an edit window of 60 minutes, from the time you first make a post in which to add or remove any additional comments or information into/from the post. Please make use of this feature made available to you, for your own convenience, instead of posting one post after another (doubles, triples or more).

**** Also keep in mind that this is a discussion forum and not a chat room. If you would like to chat about this incident, kindly make use of the "Live Chat" option, which is available in the "forum drop-down menu". Messages of agreement such as "ME TOO", "I AGREE WITH X", YES OR NO have been found to waste time and space and are therefore to be avoided. A message consisting of only one or two lines of text is probably not worth posting. Do not make posts that contain only a smiley face, check mark, etc. Make sure the content of your post is relevant to the topic.

-LPDAL

[Edited 2015-03-26 11:07:06]
TWU Local 568 represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

Markam

RE: Germanwings A320 Crashed Enroute BCN-DUS - Part 10

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:50 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 219):
This is the second confirmed pilot suicide--the other was Egypt Air 767 a few years back. It is strongly suggested that the Indonesian 737 was suicide as well but was never proven. Then there is MH370, still unsolved.

Do not forget TM470, AFAIK that has also been (preliminary) ruled a pilot suicide.

idlewildchild

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:51 pm

Quoting s5daw (Reply 138):
>

No question what so ever LH will face a class action suit for negligence. However you may think about it, the bottom line is they hired and retained a probable murderer. Though they'll argue there's no way they could have prevented this, the fact remains they hired him and it resulted in the death of 149 innocent people who paid to fly on their aircraft safely.

I'm afraid LH insurance is going to be paying out quite a lot of money here, though I'm assuming there are caps in Europe, I wonder if the family of the 3 Americans will sue in the US where there are no caps?

In any event, this is a tragedy of the grandest proportion. May their souls R.I.P.

F9Animal

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:52 pm

Apparently the copilot removed his facebook page 2 days prior. This is a red flag to me. Perhaps he had a relationship problem?

Some have said his behavior went from normal to weird as the flight progressed. Hypoxia? I doubt it. Perhaps a drug he took like a pill or pills? I am sure they will be looking into drugs in his system. He would have to be out of his mind to do this. It might explain his lack of response to the knocking, being ripped out of his mind, but coherent enough to keep the door locked until impact.

Suicide can be sudden. My cousin in law just pulled out a pistol at a stoplight, and blew his brains out as his girlfriend was driving! Absolutely no warning! We had no idea at all. We knew he had depression at times, but we never once considered he would take his life. Had we suspected he would do something like this, we would have done everything we could possibly do to help him. This shows how broken our mental health system is around the world.  
I Am A Different Animal!!

CF-CPI

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 3):
Apparently the copilot removed his facebook page 2 days prior. This is a red flag to me. Perhaps he had a relationship problem?

Are Facebook pages retrievable? In a case like this, I suspect law enforcement could force Facebook to provide it, assuming any vestige remains.

MadameConcorde

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:59 pm

Quoting CF-CPI (Reply 4):

Are Facebook pages retrievable? In a case like this, I suspect law enforcement could force Facebook to provide it, assuming any vestige remains.

Searches (perquisitions) are under way in Germany
source: the French Judiciary
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Aesma

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:00 pm

Quoting holzmann (Reply 81):
FYI to American readers...it's not so uncommon for a Uni Student to live at home...BUT a paid professional? And why live at home if you have a residence?

I thought it was common for young regional/LCC US pilots to be hugely in debt, paid very little, and share a flat with others, or have a very small bachelor pad ? Could be the same here.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

capri

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:00 pm

Easy jet just announced from tomorrow there always be 2 people in cockpit

Aesma

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:02 pm

Usually the problem with Facebook is when you want things to be deleted, not the opposite.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

capri

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:04 pm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Maroc_Flight_630

There was a claim also in 1994 of an ATR 42 of AT crashed that was blamed on pilot suicide with a motif of "LOVE" marital issues, which unions debated as a scape goat.
You never know how investigation end up in those parts of the world

A332DTW

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:06 pm

I still don't want to believe that this was a murder-suicide, but it's becoming more and more apparent that it was.  
Now all that comes to mind is why?

pvjin

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:11 pm

Quoting capri (Reply 7):

Norwegian has also announced that. From now on two people always in cockpit will probably become the new standard in European aviation industry... Apparently Finnair had that rule in place already.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

FCAFLYBOY

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Well many people close their account quite regularly, as I often do. So in its own right its not significant, however when we are talking about the Facebook account of the FO who is now deemed to have committed an atrocity, well then it does seem ver significant indeed. Pieces are starting to really fall in to place now to build a very sad, tragic picture.

qf789

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:14 pm

Summary of past 9 threads

4U9525 departed BCN at 10.01 heading to DUS
Reached cruise at FL380 at 10.45
Left cruise at 10.46
Decent for 8 minutes, ATC lost signal at 10.53 at 6000ft
Crashed into the valley of white on one side of the mountain of the Three Bishoprics. Rough terrain up to 3000m high
Weather was good
A320 D-AIPX ex LH cn 147, manufactured November 1990, delivered 29/11/90, with 4U since January 2014
58,300 flight hours, 46,700 cycles
Last A Check Monday 23rd March 2014
Last C Check in summer 2013
Captain with LH & 4U for 10 years, 6000 flight hours on A320
144 passengers and 6 crew on board
Known nationalities include
Germany 72
Spain 35
Australia 2
Argentina 2
Iran 2
Venezuela 2
US 2
UK 1
Netherlands 1
Columbia 1
Mexico 1
Japan 1
Israel 1
Denmark 1
Belgium 1
Other nationalities to be confirmed 25
CVR found, damaged but readable
BEA leading investigation, assisted by BFU and Spanish equivalent
Technical advisors from Airbus, Germanwings & Lufthansa assisting
Reports FDR found (though nothing confirmed), severely damaged with memory chip dislodged and missing
NYT Report – one of the pilots outside of cockpit, co-pilot alone in cockpit while pilot went to the toilet
First 20 minutes on CVR reveal both pilots exchanging in a normal way
Captain then prepares briefing for landing in DUS. Co-pilot answers seem to be brief
Captain then ask co-pilot to take command of aircraft, sound of a seat moved backwards then a noise of a door being locked
Co-pilot alone in cockpit, manipulates switches of the flight monitoring system to activate decent
Co-pilot did not answer when pilot wanted to enter cockpit, co-pilot refused to open door
Breathing heard inside cockpit until crash
ATC requested pilots to declare 7700 emergency but no answer, no mayday or emergency called
ATC requests other aircraft to do radio relay to get in contact with Germanwings
Alarms were triggered to alert proximity to the ground, loud knocks are heard as to violently break down the cockpit door
Alarms which are pullups to straighten back the aircraft trigger just before final impact, probable sound of first impact on an embankment
Prosecutor concludes in his statement that the above actions as a ”will to destroy the aircraft”
Victim Identification starts today, 26 march 2015
Current investigation makes it likely that co-pilot crash the plane deliberately, more details on co-pilot’s background to be provided later
Co-pilot Andreas Lubitz, 28 from Germany, Worked with Germanwings since September 2013, not thought to have a terrorist background

BEA comments/findings so far

Wednesday Press Conference
Priority will be given to finding recorders and finding main components of aircraft, then certain choices will be made to recuperate and analyze certain parts of the plane made difficult by aircraft parts scattered all over
The aircraft has followed the planned route; it was cruising at 38000ft. Last message to ATC was around 1030am. The message was routine and was allowed to continue as normal.
About one minute later aircraft started a decent until the last radar position, the impact at the impact site about 10 minutes later.
Last altitude recorder by radar was 6000 feet.
Cannot tell why aircraft descended and why contact was lost
Flight Recorder found (CVR) found Tuesday was received by us at 945am Wednesday
The important part containing data is in our hands
The work of reading this has begun immediately and some difficulty has been met but we have succeeded extracting an audio file than can be used
It’s too early to draw to conclusions on what happened
We need to work on the file to decipher all the details in the file
Have audio for whole length of the flight, need to work on the information in conjunction with the FDR (once recovered) to refine the comprehension of the flight so they can transcribe the data, will communicate once they have more information
Could take several weeks or months
Have not found the second flight recorder (FDR)
Cannot confirm that no element if the second flight recorder were found
Have no knowledge of any flight recorder that has been totally destroyed in whole aviation history
Crash site Not too big so shouldn’t have too much finding FDR and being able to fully analyze flight data
Will scour whole area and do everything necessary to find second flight recorder (FDR)
3000ft per minute descent (constant) radar data
Will close no door on cause of crash
BEA says the aviation world has had a lot of mishaps so the context is difficult but the work will be done and we will take all the time necessary aside from all the emotional feed coming from the crash
The radar trajectory goes to some hundred meters of the crash point; the aircraft flew to the end
debris and distribution of debris does not suggest there was an explosion on board the aircraft
Debris is small and shows an impact on a very hard surface at very high speed
Will look at all weather data at departure, during flight and at crash point to see if this can be a factor for the crash but nothing shows any weather problems
Will look if the accident is a result of a technical problem or intentional action, have no information on this yet so cannot tell for the time being
Techies from the airline and Airbus will participate in the inquest
Some BEA people are onsite, they are not there to inspect precisely certain debris but to find the missing recorder and examine certain debris they have found, with some that may be repatriated to a lab
Will start transcribing the first recorder (CVR) asap before they find the second recorder (FDR)
Hope to find second recorder (FDR) soon
Too early to tell about engines – not one engine failure or 2 engine failure
Will look into professional backgrounds of pilots but their names will be not be made public
Forum Moderator

flyzapper

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Does anybody know if the position of the door lock switch in the cockpit is recorded in the FDR? If it is, I'm not sure that the exact details will ever be made public, but investigators or airline regulators are probably very interested in how the switch was used in this flight.

Luftfahrer

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:16 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 11):
two people always in cockpit will probably become the new standard in European aviation industry

It should have been since yesterday. Not so much because of events like this, but due to actual medical/physical incapacitation of the remaining pilot.
'He resembled a pilot, which to a seaman is trustworthiness personified.' Joseph Conrad

qf789

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:18 pm

Quoting flyzapper (Reply 14):
Does anybody know if the position of the door lock switch in the cockpit is recorded in the FDR? If it is, I'm not sure that the exact details will ever be made public, but investigators or airline regulators are probably very interested in how the switch was used in this flight.

The FDR hasn't been found yet so its not possible to say at this stage
Forum Moderator

readytotaxi

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:20 pm

It appears as a result of the event that EasyJet has now stated that if a crew member leaves the cockpit from now on they will be replaced by a cabin crew member.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

757gb

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:22 pm

Question: would the calls from ATC be recorded in the CVR?
I haven't had time to read all posts but I have not seen anything regarding them in the audio file.
Would that be in any way an indicator of intention if the co-pilot did not answer or he somehow interrupted those calls?
God is The Alpha and The Omega. We come from God. We go towards God. What an Amazing Journey...

namezero111111

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:27 pm

Quoting 757gb (Reply 18):

If the cvr was functioning correctly, then yes, it should have recorded an audio track for the selected radio frequencies.

B747forever

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 17):
It appears as a result of the event that EasyJet has now stated that if a crew member leaves the cockpit from now on they will be replaced by a cabin crew member.

Same change just announced at DY.
Work Hard, Fly Right
Flown: 1100 flights/312 airports/194 airlines

Planeflyer

In hindsight seems like a no brainer to have 2 crew members always on the flight deck but is there a downside? I mean LH is nothing but professional so why would they have not done this sooner?

GSPSPOT

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:30 pm

This shows how broken our mental health system is around the world.

Thing is, there is NO way to tell what someone is truly thinking or will do. That will always be a "wild card" in dealing with human beings.
Great Lakes, great life.

Tugger

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:31 pm

It should be fairly straightforward to develop an "override" option the the locked cockpit door:
Develop a process of multiple codes from multiple people on board or an option to transmit an unlock from the ground upon a confirmed legitimate request to do so.

I am thinking for on board: add another keypad at the rear of the cabin, two or three codes are then required to be entered by crew in a certain time interval. One of those crew could be a cockpit crew member (to eliminate the one person in the cockpit problem).

The other could be the ability of ground based personnel to transmit a code which would deactivate the "lockout". The trigger could either be some process utilizing a request from the aircraft (say a call with appropriate validations from the cabin). Or simply ground personnel see a situation like we see here and they send the "release" signal as that is the only option and certainly will not add to a bad situation.

Though with all this said, I do think the simple option of an FA in the cockpit when one pilot leaves is perfectly adequate for these types of situations. Suicide is a lonely thing, not something one does with someone else there with them and close.

A very sad situation. My condolences (again - a terrible and sad situation just became shockingly even more so) to all involved.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

flyzapper

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:31 pm

Quoting qf789 (Reply 16):
The FDR hasn't been found yet so its not possible to say at this stage

I'm also wondering in general if FDRs usually record the position of the door lock switch. It would be helpful in this case, but I'm also just curious if anybody with technical expertise knows.

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:33 pm

United States commercial aviation once again has led the way on cockpit safety. US carriers require a cabin crew member to enter and remain in cockpit when one of the cockpit crew leaves. Why other carriers have not adopted this including LH speaks to a mentality that "that can't happen here" or "American overreaction". Lufthansa the parent of German Wings speaks of safety first. So why not rise to the level of what carriers in the US have adopted?

Easy Jet, Norwegian, Air Canada are now adopting requirement of additional crew member to enter flight deck. Bravo to them for reacting so quickly.
787 Italia - Io, il comandante dell'aria

mpsrent

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:33 pm

Quoting capri (Reply 7):

Air Canada has also implemented a two crew in the cockpit policy effective immediately.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...w-in-the-cockpit-at-all-times.html

kenperkins

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:34 pm

Paid my $25 to offer this comment; A truly sad and heartbreaking (and simultaneously fascinating) thread. I've read every comment across all 10 threads.

Obviously there is a fundamental trust issue at hand. You give the Pilots complete trust as they're charged with operating the aircraft in a safe manner from departure to arrival. There can be no foolproof mechanism to only allow this in "good" situations, but not in bad.

That said, if someone in the cockpit is operating the "lock" mechanism to deny access to an external person, could that not automatically send out a 7700 or similar alert? When would the lock-out ever not be some form of emergency?

Certainly, you can go down the path of then preemptively disabling systems, but this goes back to the fundamental trust problem.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:37 pm

I haven't had time to read all posts but I have not seen anything regarding them in the audio file.

Refer to post 13 above yours as well as in the previous thread. It answers most of these questions.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

tockeyhockey

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:39 pm

i've never understood the purpose of the locked cockpit door.

it was brought to us by 9/11, but if 9/11 taught us anything, it's that the days of old-fashioned hijackings are over. negotiations are not necessarily the purpose of the terrorists. therefore, in a hijacking situation, it's all able bodied men to the front of the cabin. if you're going to die, you might as well die fighting. keeping the door open actually helps in that situation, as passengers and crew could work together to incapacitate terrorists. the locked door -- if they (or a suicidal captain) -- are smart enough to employ, only makes fighting back that much harder.

it looks to me that this is a classic case of unintended consequences... in an effort to make airlines safer, lockable doors are now responsible for 150 deaths. and you could speculate that helios might have had a better chance with an unlocked door too.

GianiDC

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:40 pm

Given that there are now numerous airlines worldwide implementing immediate changes in case a pilot leaves the cockpit, i suspect LH and its subsidiaries will follow very soon.

kenperkins

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:42 pm

Quoting tockeyhockey (Reply 29):
it was brought to us by 9/11, but if 9/11 taught us anything, it's that the days of old-fashioned hijackings are over. negotiations are not necessarily the purpose of the terrorists. therefore, in a hijacking situation, it's all able bodied men to the front of the cabin. if you're going to die, you might as well die fighting. keeping the door open actually helps in that situation, as passengers and crew could work together to incapacitate terrorists. the locked door -- if they (or a suicidal captain) -- are smart enough to employ, only makes fighting back that much harder.

I'm inclined to agree. I think the door should be hardened such that an attacker doesn't simply run in and jam on the control stick, but perhaps not completely and utterly impassible.

I know I would certainly be attacking anyone on a plane that I see attempting to do harm to others; it's par for the course in a world where an assailant may be attempting to weaponize the aircraft.

exfss

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Quoting kenperkins (Reply 27):
That said, if someone in the cockpit is operating the "lock" mechanism to deny access to an external person, could that not automatically send out a 7700 or similar alert?

That is a good idea but would not change much in the plane.
Unless someone can remotely open the cockpit door.
(or remote fly the plane.)
No question is stupid.Only answers can be.

Luftfahrer

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:45 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 23):
Develop a process of multiple codes from multiple people on board

There are surely many technical implementations that come to mind but we have to keep in mind that they would have to be used in exceptional circumstances that are chaotic enough by itself. I'd say another person mandated in the cockpit is the better consequence.
'He resembled a pilot, which to a seaman is trustworthiness personified.' Joseph Conrad

kenperkins

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:45 pm

Quoting exfss (Reply 32):
That is a good idea but would not change much in the plane.
Unless someone can remotely open the cockpit door.
(or remote fly the plane.)

Right. It gets back to the fundamental trust we give the pilots. And even a remote unlock or remote fly option could likely be bypassed by disabling breakers on those systems.

Tugger

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:53 pm

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 33):
Quoting Tugger (Reply 23):
Develop a process of multiple codes from multiple people on board

There are surely many technical implementations that come to mind but we have to keep in mind that they would have to be used in exceptional circumstances that are chaotic enough by itself. I'd say another person mandated in the cockpit is the better consequence.

Yes, I do fully agree.

Was just putting it out there that such a process can developed.

tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

klwright69

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:56 pm

What a terrible tragedy.

Unthinkable and unreal a pilot cannot access the cockpit in his own plane, and the other pilot can seal himself off. It seems overkill. Please no pun intended. I can't even believe it. Just how many layers of security are needed for the cockpit door?

My father was a pilot, and so was his father. My mother is a pilot. Pilots are humans too, and can conceal their problems.

I suppose I am the only one here that remembers the pilot that went crazy, wasn't it on B6 to LAS from JFK, and diverted to Amarillo. Remember pilots can have issues. They are humans like the rest of us.

I remember Egypt Air crash long ago. The other pilot struggled with copilot Al-Batuti to bring the plane under control again. Two people is not necessarily a panacea.

More psychological screening, I agree with one who said "Give me a break." Not everything will show up. I believe LH when they say they have rigorous testing for pilots fitness.

I am so glad no one here seems to still be holding out that this was accidental.

[Edited 2015-03-26 11:57:04]

qf789

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:57 pm

Quoting 787 (Reply 25):
United States commercial aviation once again has led the way on cockpit safety. US carriers require a cabin crew member to enter and remain in cockpit when one of the cockpit crew leaves. Why other carriers have not adopted this including LH speaks to a mentality that "that can't happen here" or "American overreaction". Lufthansa the parent of German Wings speaks of safety first. So why not rise to the level of what carriers in the US have adopted?

Easy Jet, Norwegian, Air Canada are now adopting requirement of additional crew member to enter flight deck. Bravo to them for reacting so quickly.

Add Air Transat to that list

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/germanw...-after-crash-revelations-1.3010494

While it is good to see airlines acting swiftly on this I do find it disturbing that this should of been their procedure a long time ago
Forum Moderator

namezero111111

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:01 pm

I don't understand why 2 people in the cockpit isn't mandatory in Europe, but what if next time the f/a smacks the remaining pilot unconcious/dead and then proceeds to crashing themselves?
I don't think there is a remedy for these kind of things.

757gb

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:02 pm

Quoting namezero111111 (Reply 19):

If the cvr was functioning correctly, then yes, it should have recorded an audio track for the selected radio frequencies.

Thank you.

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 28):

Refer to post 13 above yours as well as in the previous thread. It answers most of these questions.

-Dave

Thank you, I did look through post 13 and it mentions the ATC calls, but it is not clear if it's mentioned as part of what was found in the CVR, or as infomration known from other sources (which it was as I understand it). I also did read through most of the previous thread, will try again.
God is The Alpha and The Omega. We come from God. We go towards God. What an Amazing Journey...

Skydrol

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:03 pm

Quoting mpsrent (Reply 26):
Quoting capri (Reply 7):Easy jet just announced from tomorrow there always be 2 people in cockpit

Air Canada has also implemented a two crew in the cockpit policy effective immediately.

It is incredible that such a regulated and safety/security conscious industry reacts with such knee-jerk responses to tragic events. With all the suggestions and hypotheses just here on a.net in a few days about how a cockpit door should be operated or modified, it has to be considered: Are there not think tanks in airline security, or federal regulators who would consider scenarios such as having created a fortress for a lone homicidal pilot, and have safeguards in place to deal with it? Or the person in the meeting who asked "What if?" was ignored, and is now shaking their head in disbelief.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

flymia

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:06 pm

Quoting idlewildchild (Reply 2):
I'm afraid LH insurance is going to be paying out quite a lot of money here, though I'm assuming there are caps in Europe, I wonder if the family of the 3 Americans will sue in the US where there are no caps?

International flight, Montreal convention applies. There are a lot of caps on damages. No punitive damages allowed, I want to say no emotional damages as well. Victims families will get money, but it won't be huge sums to everyone.

Quoting 787 (Reply 25):
Air Canada are now adopting requirement of additional crew member to enter flight deck.
Quoting mpsrent (Reply 26):
Air Canada has also implemented a two crew in the cockpit policy effective immediately

I am pretty surprised AC did not do this already. I always saw this procedure as a no brainer, an obvious safety measure. I always assumed all major airlines did this. Surprised I was wrong.

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 36):
I suppose I am the only one here that remembers the pilot that went crazy, wasn't it on B6 to LAS from JFK, and diverted to Amarillo. Remember pilots can have issues. They are humans like the rest of us.

Lets remember a locked door kept him out of the cockpit too.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Luftfahrer

Quoting namezero111111 (Reply 38):
but what if next time the f/a smacks the remaining pilot unconcious/dead and then proceeds to crashing themselves?

Not too great of a risk I'd say given that they sit in the jumpseat form time to time anyway and also regularly serve the pilots food or drinks, especially on longhaul flights.

seahawk

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 33):

Better but not enough. Because if a fight brakes out in the cockpit others need to able to help. Imho we need a solution the requires to persons to engage the full lock down. This could be a switch in the cabin + one in the cockpit and 2 widely separated switches (finger print scanners) in the cockpit that must be operated at the same time and in a way that you can not engage one and then be done by engaging the second.

If those switches are not engaged the door should open when a valid access code is entered.

With the current system you could engage the lock and than you have 5-20 minutes to knock out the other person before the door opens if the switch is not activated again.

Revelation

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:07 pm

Quoting capri (Reply 7):
Quoting pvjin (Reply 11):
Norwegian has also announced that.

Maybe an improvement, but not a solution. In essence this means that the airlines are now saying that the risk of FA being able to overpower a CA/FO and crash the plane is less than the risk of a sole CA/FO being suicidal. Some pretty poor decisions have come from comparing tiny numbers...

It still makes me wonder how the FAs are being trained. Sure they can go into the cockpit and hope their presence deters a suicidal pilot, but there's no guarantee it will. What do they do if they feel the plane diving - presume the pilot is trying to kill everyone or presume the pilot is just performing their duty?

As before, there's no single answer that's going to be perfect. Up to this point the safest presumption had been that the pilot is trustworthy. Adding a FA to the cockpit extends some degree of trust to them that hadn't been there before, and presumably comes with some burden to train the FAs on what they should or should not do when alone in the cockpit with a CA/FO. Yes, the US has been doing this for a while. It'd be interesting to see what the FA training for this consists of.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

capri

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:08 pm

Quoting namezero111111 (Reply 38):

This lead me to think what I read around a month ago that Lockeed/ Honeywell are developing something like " Ground captain" so there will be only a single pilot

Edit, i found a link http://aviationweek.com/technology/n...s-single-pilot-operations-concepts

Will this be a good idea to develop such technology, and with event like this, these people will have a case to push for it?

[Edited 2015-03-26 12:12:43]

seahawk

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:09 pm

I personally think it is time to consider that the average FA is as trustworthy as the average pilot.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:11 pm

Quoting 757gb (Reply 39):
Thank you, I did look through post 13 and it mentions the ATC calls, but it is not clear if it's mentioned as part of what was found in the CVR, or as infomration known from other sources (which it was as I understand it). I also did read through most of the previous thread, will try again.

No problem. I might have inferred what it said in the post as being clear, but I read in another post (maybe by Madame Concorde?) a fuller version that made it clear that they could hear everything in the cockpit off of the CVR, including the ATC alls to the aircraft.

I mainly just referred you to the thread to keep from re-explaining it. These threads move so fast that it's almost impossible to stay on top of it all.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

diverted

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:12 pm

[email protected] if you do, [email protected] if you don't...

Remember a few years back everyone was heralding the locked door after the B6 pilot had a breakdown of sorts?

Phen

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:18 pm

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0326/689994-cockpit-rules/

Apparently EI and FR have had a two-people-in-cockpit policy since sealed cockpit policy was introduced.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos