Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AV8AJET
Topic Author

What's The Chance Of E-175's At EV? ExpressJet

Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:51 am

Skywest has 100 E-175's + 100 options, 100 E-175 E2 + 100 options, and 100 MRJ's plus + 100 options on order. Does anyone think that OO will transfer any of these over to the CRJ or even ERJ EV side. With Legacy ASA and original Expressjet still in contract negotiations is there any hope of seeing some of these airframes? If so I would imagine replacement flying for the current ERJ's on the United Express flying side. Not sure DL has anymore room in scope for additional E-175's.

[Edited 2015-03-27 18:56:12]
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

DDR

RE: What's The Chance Of E-175's At EV? ExpressJet

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:00 am

My friends at the original ExpressJet think that OO wants to shut them down. I can't imagine why. ASA was the worst regional airline in the world. ExpressJet was 100 times better.

cxb744

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:04 am

ExpressJet is the old ASA. They took the ExpressJet name. It bleeds money and Skywest is not happy.
It will come down to the new contract. Stay turned....
What is it? It's A 747-400, but that's not important right now.

DDR

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:09 am

Yea I know ExpressJet is the named of the combined carrier. The ORIGINAL Expressjet (Continental Express) was a great airline. ASA has always sucked. I worked there for 8 years and could tell you lots of horror stories.

DiamondFlyer

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:41 am

Which one has a union, which one doesn't. It doesn't take a mental giant to figure out OO is killing off the union shop, slowly.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

northwestEWR

Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:40 am

I don't think it's fair to bash ASA too hard. There are a lot of great people over there that have had it hard for a long time. Along with Comair, they were DL's bitch.

ExpressJet in the early-mid 2000s was a solid regional. A lot of that came down from being under the extremely strong CO brand. The sell off of ExpressJet didn't go well. They were quickly heading down hill after that.

Then OO pushed ExpressJet and ASA together and it was a disaster. You take crappy and crappy and you expect to get gold.... Ask UA/CO how that's going for them.

Today's EV is actually doing a LOT better than it was even a year ago. There's a long way to go but with them being a union house, I'd be surprised to see OO reward their hard work with new airplanes. Undoubtedly someone will eventually have to take over the EV role as they continue retirements of -200s and ERJs and I expect that to be non-Union OO.

Long story short: I seriously seriously doubt you'll see any new aircraft at EV. Unfortunately.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

flyDTW1992

Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:13 am

Personally I'm of the opinion that RAH is going to be the leading E175 operator going forward, given they'll be flying a whole lot for both UA and post merger AA, and a smaller but significant number for DL. Not to mention it'll be their sole fleet type within a year or two, and they've been maintaining and efficiently flying them for longer than just about anybody else. Additionally, RAH at a corporate level is, at least for the moment, more stable than SkyWest Holdings, particularly finance wise.

That said, OO's got a ton of orders. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see some pretty significant shuffling of RJ orders and deliveries in the next several years as the big 3 continuously reevaluate and move ahead.

Bottom line, I don't see EV getting 175s. If anything OO will buckle down and try like hell to become the undisputed leader in the 75-seat contract flying sector, i.e. a shootout of sorts breaks out between SkyWest, Republic, and Trans States Holdings.
Now you're flying smart

eugdjinn

Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:09 pm

There are two big things in the way of EV getting 175s and they are these:
OO management
and EV itself.

Let's take them in reverse order.

ExpressJet is its own worst enemy. From top to bottom, ExpressJet cannot find the way forward. More than half the company is trapped in its past and is looking the wrong way. They are in no way one company with one mission and one bright future. Former ASA flight attendants fly the line with ASA wings to show their bitterness, Pilots, managers, etc refer to the CRJ side as ASA, and on the flip side, you hear endlessly about the incompetence in Atlanta. To add fuel to the fire, neither crew scheduling nor dispatch seem to be able to find their way to the bathroom without assistance for the last two months - releases are posted as late as ten minutes to departure, and both entities are unavailable by phone and openly hostile when they do answer. (And this is to people who are trying to help them get planes out on time and save them some embarrassment!)

That rolls downhill too, some pilots are true professionals and go out of their way to make things smooth. Some are really tall three-year olds. We have a cadre in Atlanta who consistently run their APUs to burn fuel then call Delta to say they were shorted (Um, listen up chuckleheads - we can show Delta how much fuel we left your aircraft with using DELTA's software) and force the fueler to return and hook up again to "top them off" instead of just asking the fueler to bump the fuel by 300lbs for APU burn on the ramp like grownups. Guess who gets the delay when that happens? You do. And guess who's off the clock while your door is open? Yes, you are, and the crew.

Legacy ASA FAs and Pilots have been holding out for years to maintain priveleges in their contracts that they believe are better than those in the Legacy XJet contract, but almost none of them have read the ExpressJet contract. It's amazing. Hey folks - it was modeled on CONTINENTAL MAINLINE. Really. It's far more generous than yours. You really need to read every line. You want that contract.

Collectively though, these things and the constant sniping have everyone inside either half focused on what was, not what COULD be. And they seem to be able to drown out the voice of new President Alex Marren who is trying to lead everyone toward a future as one company. If you cannot look forward, you cannot drive toward new aircraft, or earn them.

And the last and perhaps most damning problem inside of ExpressJet as it currently stands is that a large number of current middle management is a group of nice folk who grew up inside ASA and have found themselves in positions that are way over their heads. When the airline doubled, they drowned and noone noticed. They don't have college educations, they are doing their very best, but they're just over their heads, poor things. They need a graceful exit.

Now, that has a dangerous corollary at SkyWest, which is that any old degree from Dixie State College in St. George where being Mormon is enough to get you one, doesn't make you qualified for management. And yet, if you're male, and mormon, and have one, you get hired into OO management to join the good ole boys there! Competence be darned. Ooh - and if you're a CPA that's even better!

OO has in the last seven years actively chased away what were shining stars that should have become its next round of great management. It started after Ron Reber left and picked up steam sharply with the first great loss of stations. In their place, OO now relies on managers that devalue the employees. The problem is that its quite possible they may have sown the seeds for a successful unionization inside both their FAs and their pilots.

In the meantime, the anti-union sentiment in St. George may well be enough to keep them from being able to realistically evaluate any performance gains or capabilities in ExpressJet. And while they ignore that, they are pushing their own team way past breaking trying to do everything all at once, and all for less and less money.

There are a few signs of good moves, maybe. The combined entities are shifting to one massive Benefits dept, perhaps stupidly in St. George. I commend the realization that it should be in one place. I find the choice of St. George foolish. I think the talent pool in Salt Lake would have done better for all and been much, much wiser. And been more palatable politically. Too, the remnants of Atlanta and Houston teams might have considered the move.

It's time for the combined management of SkyWest Inc to sit down and lay out clear goals for ExpressJet that need meeting for them to get 175s. And then challenge ExpressJet to hit those targets in six months, and twelve months. Its clear that the industry is going to change and that EV needs to do so to survive. Throw down the gauntlet.

northwestEWR

Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:00 am

Quoting eugdjinn (Reply 7):

Welcome to my Respected User's list. An incredibly detailed and accurate portrayal of what's happening at EV and OO. It's a damn shame they can't get it together because it has a lot of potential!

flyDTW1992

Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:08 am

All the more reason I feel RAH is in a favorable position to step up as the industry leader in E175 flying. It's a very drama-free company relative to a lot of the other regionals such as OO/EV, though it certainly has its share of issues to deal with.

Now I'm a newbie to the regional airline business so don't be too hard on me if I'm way off base, but that's just my two cents.
Now you're flying smart

northwestEWR

Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:06 am

Quoting flyDTW1992 (Reply 9):

I think you're on target. Republic has its issues but they are much less systemic than those at EV. It's little problems like stupid crew scheduling decisions rather than a war of cultures with no forward vision.

[Edited 2015-03-28 22:06:42]

bhmdiversion

Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:50 am

To add fuel to the fire, neither crew scheduling nor dispatch seem to be able to find their way to the bathroom without assistance for the last two months - releases are posted as late as ten minutes to departure, and both entities are unavailable by phone and openly hostile when they do answer. (And this is to people who are trying to help them get planes out on time and save them some embarrassment!)

First of all... don't make yourself out to be a Martyr.

Since I know exactly where the bathroom on the 3rd floor is - you might want to consider that the ones who do work in the OCC (such as myself) - we are the ones working 50, 60, and sometimes 70+ flights in a particular shift.

You work *up to* 6 legs a day at max (of course whichever contract you fall under).

I don't have time asking scheduling to call you to make sure your at the airport when Ops calls, or at the gate because the tower says your not there, basically, me holding your hand and making sure you do your job.

I have enough to worry about, so along with your comment - shouldn't the crews do their job, since I am having to babysit them?

Shouldn't the crews show up on time to the airport?

Shouldn't the crews do the job they trained for, and go on with their lives?

If not, I am sure I can arrange for a round of applause at hubs/outstations to congratulate the crews for showing up to do the profession they choose to do. So, save your embarrassment comments for someone else.

My ONLY concern is the safety of ALL the flights I am assigned, the legality of ALL the flights I am assigned, and then maybe, if I can take away from my flight following duties, maybe I might want to help a pilot who ACARS'ed me a question asking me what is the score of the game, or some other random question.

antoniemey

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:35 pm

Quoting cxb744 (Reply 2):
It bleeds money and Skywest is not happy.

EV bleeds money in large part because of the ridiculously cheap contract rates that SKYWEST management agreed to when buying ASA and XE.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

ridgid727

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:49 pm

Now, that has a dangerous corollary at SkyWest, which is that any old degree from Dixie State College in St. George where being Mormon is enough to get you one, doesn't make you qualified for management. And yet, if you're male, and mormon, and have one, you get hired into OO management to join the good ole boys there! Competence be darned. Ooh - and if you're a CPA that's even better!

I almost choked on my Diet COKE, when I read your spot on comment about OO and the Good Ole Boys in SGU. This company is so entrenched in the "church" that even the best of the best would be overlooked if he didn't have his Temple Recommend. or be a part of the Nepotism Group of Family.

toxtethogrady

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:57 pm

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 4):
Which one has a union, which one doesn't. It doesn't take a mental giant to figure out OO is killing off the union shop, slowly.

Doing this in the middle of a pilot shortage is a good way to kill yourself.

strfyr51

Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:26 pm

Collectively though, these things and the constant sniping have everyone inside either half focused on what was, not what COULD be. And they seem to be able to drown out the voice of new President Alex Marren who is trying to lead everyone toward a future as one company. If you cannot look forward, you cannot drive toward new aircraft, or earn them.

I don't understand why Alex Marren would put herself through that. Turmoil, Didn't she get enough of that running United's Network Ops Center? Hell!! they split Her job into 5 separate Director Jobs to do what she did.
You guys treat her right!! She's good People..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos