migair54
Topic Author

IB Big Summer Expansion

Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:56 pm

Today I read in a spanish newspaper that IB will add 39 routes and 19 new destinations, using IB, IBX and Air Nostrum.

link in Spanish. http://www.abc.es/economia/20150330/...ria-rutas-verano-201503301425.html

IB will increase frequencies in the routes to México, Bruselas, Ginebra, Marraquech, Prage, Tel Aviv, Zagreb, Athens, Dublín, Gran Canaria, Ibiza, La Palma, Mallorca, Tenerife, Asturias and Santo Domingo.

Also IB will recover the seasonal LAX, BOS, ZAG, Dubrovnik and San Petesburg.

Some more regional routes like A Coruña-Paris, Madrid-Lourdes, Madrid-Perpiñán, Ibiza-Perpiñán, Alicante-Carcassona, Madrid-Edimburgo, Mánchester and London Gatwitck, also London Heathrow to Tenerife, Gran Canaria and Mallorca, Vigo-LTN,

In America also (some already discussed here) MVD, SDQ, CLO-MDE, HAV.

In Germany, new flight to HAM and extra freqs to BER, FRA and DUS.
In Italy, IB & IBX will add, Florence and Naples year round and Palermo, Catania and Verona in summer and extra VCE flights.
In France, MAD-CDG, Santander-CDG, Lyon, Niza and Nantes and TFN-LYS.
In Portugal, Funchal, Faro and extra LIS flights.
Quite a lot of news in IB, it seems like the combination between IB, IBX and ANS are doing a good job, it´s great to see Spanish airlines doing good after few years of problems.

aircatalonia

RE: IB Big Summer Expansion

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:16 pm

MAD-PGF in summer? is there really demand for that? There is a high-speed rail link Figueres-Madrid, barely 50km away.

edit: FR doesn't fly GRO-MAD anymore

[Edited 2015-03-30 13:20:26]

OA260

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:26 pm

Its certainly good to see IB/I2 expanding. Its turning into a pretty decent product. I had great flights with both recently and T4 MAD is a joy to transit in. Really glad that DUB is increasing which was announced a while back.

Also the trend is being felt in the Canaries too :

The Canary Islands airports have scheduled 23.2 million seats for the 2015 summer period classed as (March 29th to October 24th).
37 different airlines have scheduled 121 routes to Lanzarote Airport, with more than 27,500 movements to 73 destinations. In total more than 4.2 million seats are available, and of these more than 2.9 million are for international flights and 1.36 million for domestic.
Germany and the UK are the countries having the highest number of routes to the Airports of Gran Canaria, Tenerife, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura.

Link in Spanish http://www.lancelotdigital.com/lanza...anzarote-en-la-temporada-de-verano

uberflieger

Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:13 am

It's so cool to see Iberia blossom again and I simply love MAD & T4  

r2rho

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:05 am

With IB, we still need to distinguish between net expansion and mere reopening of routes shut down during the restructuring and union negotiations. The IB fleet and route network are still not what they used to be before the restructuring, but it's slowly getting there.

Will IB be taking new a/c? Activating stored A320's? Wet leases? Combination of all? I can't imagine this with the current fleet.

It is very good news to see this growth, including some new and atypical routes rather than classic "me-too" ones. Nice to see growth into the underserved "regions" of other countries and not just the main hubs - there is money to be made there. They are also not being afraid of launching leisure routes and competing in LCC territory, a proof that the cost base has been greatly reduced.

teme82

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:35 am

I was kind off hoping that they would start MAD/BCN-HEL route but perhaps they are letting AY to cover them.
Flying high and low

migair54
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:07 pm

Quoting teme82 (Reply 5):
I was kind off hoping that they would start MAD/BCN-HEL route but perhaps they are letting AY to cover them.

AY is a partner on that routes, but I hope we will see more Scandinavia in the future, IB group presence in Scandinavia is very small for the volume of traffic, I see a good market there with the re-opening of American routes and the recovery of Spanish economy.

Quoting r2rho (Reply 4):
With IB, we still need to distinguish between net expansion and mere reopening of routes shut down during the restructuring and union negotiations. The IB fleet and route network are still not what they used to be before the restructuring, but it's slowly getting there.

Very true, still an expansion it's a good sight.

Quoting r2rho (Reply 4):
Will IB be taking new a/c? Activating stored A320's? Wet leases? Combination of all? I can't imagine this with the current fleet.

Obviously they'll need some planes and my guess is that they'll reactivate some A320, I'm not sure how many new A320 IAG has still on order but I think few of them.

Quoting uberflieger (Reply 3):
It's so cool to see Iberia blossom again and I simply love MAD & T4  

T-4 is great and it can still accept many more pax, still when plenty of pax are around you never have the feeling of being crowded because of that big glass walls and high roof.

Quoting aircatalonia (Reply 1):
MAD-PGF in summer? is there really demand for that? There is a high-speed rail link Figueres-Madrid, barely 50km away.

I always though that one of the best assets of IB is serving good number of airports in France, Italy and Germany, that can attract many pax looking to avoid some places like CDG, FRA, LHR and transit via MAD Specially in flights Latin America even some USA.

seahawk

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:48 pm

Good news. Iberia has become a quite nice airline. I am happy to see them grow.

OA260

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:11 pm

Funny enough just checked my emails and 3 from I2 advertising their new UK-Spain routes.

KLMA330

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:23 pm

You can thank BA for putting IB's house in order.

mfc

Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:28 pm

Quoting r2rho (Reply 4):
With IB, we still need to distinguish between net expansion and mere reopening of routes shut down during the restructuring and union negotiations.

Many of the routes announced are new and were not suspended with the restructuration, such as: EDI, MAN, LGW, HAM, HAJ, STR or CDG. MDE and CLO are new as well. So we can say that Iberia is experiencing a net expansion.

Quoting r2rho (Reply 4):
Quoting migair54 (Reply 6):
Obviously they'll need some planes and my guess is that they'll reactivate some A320

No more A320 to reactivate, the A320s that are stored are very old. IBS is getting an A320 from Vueling in June and I suppose any additional A320s will come from Vueling or from another carrier. According to flightglobal Iberia have some A320 options left but I doubt they could get them soon if they confirm them.

AY is a partner on that routes, but I hope we will see more Scandinavia in the future, IB group presence in Scandinavia is very small for the volume of traffic

I have been told that ARN is performing very poorly and that they are trying to minimise losses on that route.

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 9):

IAG and Iberia put Iberia in order. Luis Gallego, the current CEO, made the change possible and he has nothing to do with BA. I didn't blame BA for Iberia's cuts and problems in the past but neither I'm praising BA now that Iberia is back on track.
So, we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past

SKY1

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:29 am

Your remark is a bit inopportune, isn't?

IB was founded in 1927 ...among the World's eldest carriers for sure they don't need any "saviour".
Time flies! Enjoy life!

iahmark

Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:34 am

Glad to see IB expands or at least retake some of its old routes back.

Also they should concentrate in developing new routes in what I consider IB’s bread and butter market = Latin America.
For starters they should see if they can serve GDL, MTY in Mexico; its number #2 and #3 cities. Do 3-4x/week for each; I believe there are not altitude problems so they could use the A333.

Other route could be LPB (I believe they served 30plus years ago ) , maybe they could do a 2-3 weekly triangulation via VVI or ASU and steal some of the thunder from the future expanding Air Europa.

One thing I would like to know it’s the fleet planning especially the decision for the replacement of the A346’s.I see the A350-900 as a more economical 777-200ER but probably will struggle in hot and high airports (MEX, BOG and UIO) ; does anybody have any idea as to what is on IB plan? call me crazy but IB could be a good candidate for a sub fleet of 748’s ..Let’s say 10 or so for these types of airports plus for the added capacity/cargo for the heavier routes (MEX, EZE, GRU).

r2rho

Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:57 am

Quoting mfc (Reply 10):
Luis Gallego, the current CEO, made the change possible

I agree that he was instrumental to this. The previous CEO was a banker, put there to set up the merger with BA - a role in which he performed extremely well with IB punching above its weight in the negotiations. But he knew little about running an airline, and should have stepped down right after finishing his job (the merger) to leave the running of the airline business to someone else. Gallego is an aerospace engineer and knows the airline group very well. In particular he helped set up Clickair, later merged into Vueling, and set up IB Express - he has a good history of running a lean and efficient airline operation.

aircatalonia

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:14 pm

I always though that one of the best assets of IB is serving good number of airports in France, Italy and Germany, that can attract many pax looking to avoid some places like CDG, FRA, LHR and transit via MAD Specially in flights Latin America even some USA.

Makes sense. I was thinking of O&D passengers but the route is probably targeted towards transit to Latam.

OA260

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:42 pm

Quoting iahmark (Reply 12):
and steal some of the thunder from the future expanding Air Europa.

I flew UX for the first time a few weeks back. I just wanted to try out their product. I flew out of LGW on the E Jet and was not sure what to expect. I had read some really bad reviews. I have to say they were excellent. With ST Elite Plus I had access to the rather nice No.1 Lounge and extra baggage allowance and Priority tags/boarding etc... Crews were excellent and all on time flights. The majority on my evening flight were connections to South America , Lima especially. It seems they offer some very attractive fares from major cities in Europe Via MAD. It will be interesting to see IB grow and if they tap into their market share. Still its good to see two well performing Spanish airlines. Of course T4 MAD crushes T2 when it comes to transit experience.

Ironically IB the way they are gong will have a better product than BA! BA just seem to be cutting and cutting . Executive Club benefits being chopped and now the LGW F lounge closing at 1500 shunting Golds onto the Silver lounge.

migair54
Topic Author

Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:01 pm

Quoting aircatalonia (Reply 14):
Makes sense. I was thinking of O&D passengers but the route is probably targeted towards transit to Latam.

if the route were more for O&D I think we could have seen I2 taking some of the routes, some regional markets are very good for big airlines due to high fares, try to fly to TLS, and having MAD just a nice place for transit make things a bit easier for pax. I´m sure some O&D traffic is also there in the mix of both is were the business is.

Quoting iahmark (Reply 12):
For starters they should see if they can serve GDL, MTY in Mexico; its number #2 and #3 cities. Do 3-4x/week for each; I believe there are not altitude problems so they could use the A333.

I think offering like 3-4 weekly it could work, but maybe not good enough, so the same plane can do something more profitable, continue the good job in Latin America.

What about USA? I think in the future IB needs to go LAX, BOS and IAD year round and why not, try some new markets with big names like IAH or SFO. And the most speculated Asia routes, I think soon it will be the right time to try.

Quoting r2rho (Reply 13):
I agree that he was instrumental to this. The previous CEO was a banker, put there to set up the merger with BA - a role in which he performed extremely well with IB punching above its weight in the negotiations. But he knew little about running an airline, and should have stepped down right after finishing his job (the merger) to leave the running of the airline business to someone else. Gallego is an aerospace engineer and knows the airline group very well. In particular he helped set up Clickair, later merged into Vueling, and set up IB Express - he has a good history of running a lean and efficient airline operation.

Totally agree, both are doing the job they were suppose to do.

CHI787ORD

Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:08 pm

Is ORD going 10x weekly this summer? I believe there were additional frequencies last summer

RemoFlyer

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:36 pm

Quoting CHI787ORD (Reply 17):

Yes - beginning June (I think) there is an additional flight dep ORD 320 pm on Sun Thurs and Fri

r2rho

Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:19 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 16):
some regional markets are very good for big airlines due to high fares, try to fly to TLS, and having MAD just a nice place for transit make things a bit easier for pax. I´m sure some O&D traffic is also there in the mix of both is were the business is.

Actually the particular case of TLS has a lot of O&D traffic due mainly to Airbus corporate travel & related, plus, for those who can afford it, VFR given the considerable Spanish population in the area and cultural links. In fact, ever since U2 shut down its MAD base and pulled out of the route, IB is making a killing charging monopoly fares.

SCQ83

Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:09 pm

Perpinyà is an Air Nostrum route, so it should be catered to the local (and booming) Spanish market going to the beach. They are also starting Faro. Also I suspect since Perpinyà is the capital of the "French Catalonia" there will be some links to the rest of Spain (VFR and so on). Air Nostrum is not part of IAG so they can launch their own routes as they please.

Air Nostrum is also flying PGF-IBZ which in this case is obviously catered to the French local market going to the island.

migair54
Topic Author

Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:59 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 20):
Perpinyà is an Air Nostrum route, so it should be catered to the local (and booming) Spanish market going to the beach. They are also starting Faro. Also I suspect since Perpinyà is the capital of the "French Catalonia" there will be some links to the rest of Spain (VFR and so on). Air Nostrum is not part of IAG so they can launch their own routes as they please.

Air Nostrum is also flying PGF-IBZ which in this case is obviously catered to the French local market going to the island.

I´m not sure if this is Iberia routes, operated by Air Nostrum or own Air Nostrum routes. But is kind of few charter flights only.

Ibiza – Perpignan 28JUN15 – 31AUG15 1 weekly
28JUN15 – 19JUL15
IB8402 IBZ1445 – 1635PGF AT7 7
IB8403 PGF1705 – 1840IBZ AT7 7

27JUL15 – 31AUG15
IB8402 IBZ1145 – 1300PGF CR2 1
IB8403 PGF1330 – 1435IBZ CR2 1

Quoting r2rho (Reply 19):
Actually the particular case of TLS has a lot of O&D traffic due mainly to Airbus corporate travel & related, plus, for those who can afford it, VFR given the considerable Spanish population in the area and cultural links. In fact, ever since U2 shut down its MAD base and pulled out of the route, IB is making a killing charging monopoly fares.

almost every major european airline have very high fares to TLS, but some other regional routes also, and as I said offering options to pax in regional airports is great for them and can attract some more business for IB and for the regions.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos