ONTFlyer
Topic Author

UA 641 Cancellations

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:16 am

Am scheduled to fly UA 641 in a couple weeks and looking at Flightaware it appears there have several cancellations the past couple of weeks. Hoping those in the know could shed some light? Fingers crossed that my flight doesn't get cancelled! Thanks in advance.
Doin' just fine thanks...

simairlinenet

RE: UA 641 Cancellations

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:59 pm

Adding detail to save others trouble...

UA641 is LAX-HNL, departs at 0840.

strfyr51

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:05 pm

UA641 is a 777A Over the past few weeks the flight has been substituted.by a 747. For some reason they change the flight number when the airplane typw changes. (I have no idea why) We're going to subbing the 747 in again in the future I understand.
And again ua 641 will cancel and another number will take it's place. going to the same place. They're getting prety good at sending notes to your phone when changes happen.. So you would be notified of any changes.

catiii

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:29 pm

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 2):
And again ua 641 will cancel and another number will take it's place. going to the same place.

Not so sure about that. UA 641 cancelled yesterday. The flight status page at United.com for yesterday, when you search LAX-HNL, does not show any other flight leaving at that time under a different flight number. So in that case UA 641 cancelled and was not replaced by another equipment type operating under another flight number. The same holds for Sunday's UA 641 as well.

FlyDeltaJets

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:50 pm

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 2):
For some reason they change the flight number when the airplane typw changes. (I have no idea why) We're going to subbing the 747 in again in the future I understand.

We have had 2 777s stuck in GUM on mechanical for the past couple day putting strain on the 777 fleet. Generally the flight number is changed for a couple reasons, inter-subsiduary flying ie. a flight originally scheduled on sUA Metal to be operated on sCO Metal or vice-versa and A downgrade of equiptment, the change in flight number eases automated rebooking sofware.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

LHRBFSTrident

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:14 pm

I was booked on UA641 on 3/11/15 and it showed a delay of 3 hours approx 65 mins prior to departure (just as our Uber arrived at the terminal, grrr). With a stroke of luck I happened to check the website at home just as the flight cancelled 90 mins later, about 5 mins before the SMS update went out, so I was able to get rebooked on the early PM flight on a 753

I didn't see any additional flight to replace the UA641 so the pax must have been re-acommodated on later services or via SFO, etc. Later in the day, when we got a customer service update, it mentioned an 'APU problem'.

Apparently whatever happened wasn't repaired in time for the following day's UA641 because that service cancelled too...

Then I saw here that UA operated a 789 (or was it a 788) to HNL that day or the next day - presumably to make up for the shortfall in capacity to HNL - as a one-time thing with that type evidently

Lesson learned: even if you expect to be on a wifi-equipped aircraft take other content as well - that 753 flight ended up being close to 6.5 hours...yawn

ONTFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:33 pm

Just going to hope that the 777's that went mech in GUM will be back in service here shortly and all gets back to normal. Thanks again!
Doin' just fine thanks...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos