Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aloha73g
Topic Author

Aloha Airlines - 7 Years Since Last Flight

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:59 pm

Hard to believe it has been 7 years since Aloha's last flight on 3/31/08...it seems like yesterday!! I remember the day so well.

Aloha Airlines' twitter account has been tweeting a bunch of great old pictures:

http://twitter.com/Aloha_Airlines

Aloha was a great little airline with a colorful history and some of the best liveries to ever fly...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Je89 W.

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon Collection-Pima Air and Space Museum

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlton Ho

Here's to Aloha's 61 great years....gone but never forgotten!

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

TWA772LR

RE: Aloha Airlines - 7 Years Since Last Flight

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:43 pm

I wish I had the chance to fly on them. Does anyone know where I can find an Aloha 73G with winglets 1:400 model? Preferably Geminijets.  
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

MSPNWA

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Time flies. It doesn't seem that long ago. I would have loved to have a chance to fly a 732 with Aloha. I believe my parents got that chance. But my first trip to Hawaii was a couple weeks after their shutdown. At least I have memories and pictures of their 737s parked at HNL.

GSPSPOT

Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:46 pm

Sad anniversary. I never had experience of them (the 1st of our 3 trips to Oahu was after they stopped flying as a passenger airline), but it's a great loss not having both them and HA inhabiting the islands. It's bittersweet still seeing the Aloha Cargo birds at HNL.

[Edited 2015-03-31 15:48:25]
Great Lakes, great life.

Tomassjc

Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:57 pm

First inter island flight ever, back in summer '76, on AQ HNL-OGG! Flower power baby.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 1):
Does anyone know where I can find an Aloha 73G with winglets 1:400 model? Preferably Geminijets.  

You'll occasionally find one on ebay...... the 1/200 scale is a bit easier to come by.

Tom in SJC
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

Yflyer

Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:23 pm

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 3):
I never had experience of them

Back in 2005 I took a trip to Maui. I seriously considered booking Aloha's SMF-OGG flight, but I was more price sensitive back then and I connecting itinerary on UA that was nearly $200 cheaper. In hindsight, that's the flight I most regret not taking when I had the chance.

B727skyguy

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:28 am

Aloha was a wonderful, little airline. I flew them several times on interisland flights. I was so sorry to see them go. I was taking my then 84-year-old aunt on a once-in-a -lifetime trip to Hawaii in April 2008. We planned to fly AQ HNL-LIH-HNL. I was so disappointed when they shut down just days before our trip.

bjorn14

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:01 pm

And Ron Perlman still clings jealously to AQ's IP rights.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

cathay747

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:44 pm

I didn't realize the anniversary date, or that it's been that many years already.

I was lucky to get to fly them roundtrip HNL/KOA/HNL in June of 1986, their
50th anniversary year. I managed to save a cocktail napkin, and so made
a little "shrine" along with the three 1/200 scale 737 models I have (corresponding
to the 3 liveries I flew):

Those are the Inflight200 models commissioned by Kyle of AeroBlue Designs
and two of the three are still available (the middle one, called "Funbird II" on
his website is the one sold-out). If you're interested, here's the URL:
http://www.aerobluedesigns.com/default.asp?nc=1401&id=87

I flew them several times back in the 70's too, but I was too young to
remember them now. I was so sad when they shut down.

[Edited 2015-04-01 15:45:01]
Try a Little VC-10derness

n901wa

Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:58 am

I also Miss Aloha. Was so sad to see them go under. My Father worked for them a few years before going to Hawaiian then Western. My first flight was in a Aloha BAc-111. But I was to young to remember.
Here's some pictures from when I worked in HNL. in the N73712 Picture, check out the tail of the RAA L-188 that Aloha use to bring for extra Cargo lift. Hope you enjoy the pic, 901wa
737-300

GSPSPOT

Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:13 am

I so love HNL and the island of Oahu. It seems just criminal that I never got to witness Aloha at their zenith!
Great Lakes, great life.

Pohakuloa

Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:10 am

My first flight on Aloha as a child was on that 733. Knew it was special at the time, though not sure why exactly. Was always fond of that livery too. When Funbird returned, i was hoping to see this same grace a 73G, then well, history is known well in this thread. Hindsight being what it is, i was fairly lucky to have flown on both the 300 and 400 in its brief duration with AQ.
Fast cars and 'Jet A' - such a sweet smell!

mke717spotter

Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:20 am

I was fortunate to be able to fly AQ on both of my trips to Hawaii. I was just a little kid back then, but I loved the thrust buckets on the 732s and then the fruit punch they gave out during the flight. We've seen People Express and Eastern make comeback attempts, any chance we'll ever see something similar from AQ?
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

ua2162

Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:49 am

While I only worked for them for three years, I still feel part of the AQ family. This was the last ad campaign we released just before we stopped flying:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QIhmtcQfR30

To this day I remember when we filmed this commercial. It took us 11 takes to get the correct "We do!" And after all that, they didn't even use our footage. We did, however, make it in the extended version that was aired by Friends of Aloha the week following our collapse:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nz1JZ2io690

I honestly feel they gave up on Aloha too early. It's like they wanted us to fail. They were looking for an excuse.

I see so many of my friends in the video above around the airport but we're all scattered between different airlines. What Aloha had can never be duplicated. It's a shame they gave up on us.

superjeff

Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:29 pm

Quoting ua2162 (Reply 13):
While I only worked for them for three years, I still feel part of the AQ family. This was the last ad campaign we released just before we stopped flying:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QIhmtcQfR30

To this day I remember when we filmed this commercial. It took us 11 takes to get the correct "We do!" And after all that, they didn't even use our footage. We did, however, make it in the extended version that was aired by Friends of Aloha the week following our collapse:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nz1JZ2io690

I honestly feel they gave up on Aloha too early. It's like they wanted us to fail. They were looking for an excuse.

I see so many of my friends in the video above around the airport but we're all scattered between different airlines. What Aloha had can never be duplicated. It's a shame they gave up on us.

I grew up in Hawaii. Flew Aloha's DC3 Vistaliners, F27's, BAC-111's, Viscounts, and 737's. They were a good operation, but no different than Hawaiian (except for the history of the company where they were started by an Asian American). Don't overblow it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos