Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max752
Topic Author

VX Revisited--Aftermath Of Their April Fools Stunt

Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:53 am

I consider myself Virgin's biggest fan. Not the Virgin group but Virgin America. I want to see VX grow and be at level playing fields with jetBlue (B6) and Southwest (WN) and maybe even one day the 'big three' (DL, AA, UA). However, I can't see that ever happening with VX's all or nothing-hipster-east-west-coast structure.

Their little joke about flying to BKG and Mr. Cush's thought on transcon premium travel really got me thinking about VX again. What is their future and where is their place in the hyper-competitive US market?

Will VX ever serve the 'fly-over states'? Will VX ever serve cities like MCI, STL, DEN, MEM, BNA, IND, or CLE? Well my prediction is "I think so". VX likes expansion and with ~40 a320s (some arriving in the next few years others in the late 2010s and early 2020s) I can see VX launching service to the most 'hispter' or 'trendy' fly-over cities like BNA or MCI.

Is VX too stubborn? I kinda think so. It's obvious that those who can afford it, it being premium class transcon travel, prefer lie-flats and suites not lazy-boy recliners. CEO David Cush's statement saying that travelers prefer gourmet meals and wi-fi over comfortable seats seems very stubborn.

Anyway, I'll leave it up to you. What is next for Redwood?

Thanks,
-Max

[Edited 2015-03-31 20:13:02]

[Edited 2015-03-31 20:13:19]
Super 80, pff, more like Stupid 80 | TravelUpdate.com & TheCollegePoints.com |

ipodguy7

RE: VX Revisited (Aftermath Of Their April Fools Stunt

Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:10 am

I could see VX on BNA-SFO/LAX eventually (to serve the booming Nashville business scene to Silicon Valley, and Nashville premium entertainment traffic to LAX) but not in the next 3-5 years, we have 3 airlines (AA/WN/DL) on BNA-LAX, but currently noone serving the BNA-SFO market (granted WN is launching BNA-OAK later this year, still not SFO). I think BNA will see AS before VX. 5-7 years down the road I could see both, but I would think that BNA would be higher up on AS's list than VX's, as VX has bigger fish to fry first, but AS has served most of the larger markets already. Just my 2c
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AS/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ/JL

rtalk25

RE: VX Revisited--Aftermath Of Their April Fools Stunt

Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:55 am

Quoting ipodguy7 (Reply 1):
to serve the booming Nashville business scene to Silicon Valley, and Nashville premium entertainment traffic to LAX

I think VX is more keen on serving the Bay Area and LAX market, point of sale, to points out east than the other way, when it runs routes at low frequency.

Atleast when it dwindled on SFO-PHL at 1x daily before it ended, the flight was timed for the SFO market, not the PHL market. The PHL-SFO flight arrived late in the evening and connections (to SEA) weren't possible. The SFO-PHL flight left SFO around 9am.

Maybe the pharma biotech traffic which drives the PHL business traffic from the Bay Area wasn't hip enough to choose VX and was sticking to UA.

But, I think VX has moved on and PHL won't be back even if seasonal as a summer service for leisure customers. I think it has a lot of opportunities obviously, from shorter range markets like DEN and PHX, to mid range like IAH, to markets greater in distance ATL and BNA, to more transcons like BWI. Or go for the niche medium size markets where UA might have RJ service or limited seasonal based service.

Quoting ipodguy7 (Reply 1):
but currently noone serving the BNA-SFO market (granted WN is launching BNA-OAK later this year, still not SFO).

I think the moment VX launches BNA-SFO, Southwest will find a way to switch it's BNA-OAK flight over to SFO.

[Edited 2015-03-31 20:59:40]

airliner371

Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:00 am

Quoting Max752 (Thread starter):
and be at level playing fields with jetBlue (B6) and Southwest (WN) and maybe even one day the 'big three' (DL, AA, UA).

To be clear, B6 and WN while similar, are on two completely different playing fields. If anything, WN is closer to the legacies than B6 in terms of equal playing fields.

N104UA

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:19 am

Quoting Max752 (Thread starter):
DEN,

VX has been trying to get into DEN for a couple of years but no one will give them gate space. UA, WN, and F9 won't give up any, and with WN expanding I see them snagging any open gates before VX is able to.
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

Italianflyer

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:26 pm

Quoting Max752 (Thread starter):
DEN
VX has been trying to get into DEN for a couple of years but no one will give them gate space. UA, WN, and F9 won't give up any, and with WN expanding I see them snagging any open gates before VX is able to. 

I am sure this question is buried in another thread but what about F9's gates that are redundant as they pull down DEN?
It's not like UA is growing the market and WN has applied the breaks to its build up. They may be waiting for the market to shake out before adding more capacity to a saturated market.

As stated above, BNA is a no brainer over the long term. Same with RDU. MSP could be a mid continent dark horse with VX customer loyalty being SFO - centric and not tethered to DL.

questions

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:42 pm

What is Mr. Cush's point of view on transcon premium travel?

MaverickM11

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:48 pm

Quoting N104UA (Reply 4):
VX has been trying to get into DEN for a couple of years but no one will give them gate space.

I find that near impossible to believe.
I don't take responsibility at all

ridgid727

Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:34 pm

Quoting ItalianFlyer (Reply 5):
DEN
VX has been trying to get into DEN for a couple of years but no one will give them gate space. UA, WN, and F9 won't give up any, and with WN expanding I see them snagging any open gates before VX is able to.

If VX wanted to get into DEN, Im sure they would be accommodated.

airliner371

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 7):
I find that near impossible to believe.
Quoting ridgid727 (Reply 8):

Spirit found gate space, I'm sure VX could find it too.

usdcaguy

Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:44 am

Quoting ridgid727 (Reply 8):

Is F9 currently in the process of relinquishing a few?

tom11

Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:46 am

I think VX could find more of a market looking into places like BDL or PBI -- which both had non-stop service in AA (PBI's ends May 4), with high load factors (>85%) but AA wasn't happy and moved the planes to more profitable routes. Both BDL and PBI desperately need LAX or SFO service, which VX could provide -- and still make a profit. I know BDL and PBI have gate space -- and both airports are always trying to attract service.

Max752
Topic Author

Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:51 am

Quoting questions (Reply 6):
What is Mr. Cush's point of view on transcon premium travel?

Premium class travelers will take wi-fi and food over a lie-flat bed and they won't be changing their product anytime soon. That's his and the companies view.
Super 80, pff, more like Stupid 80 | TravelUpdate.com & TheCollegePoints.com |

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:07 am

BNA-LAX seems like a natural VX route.....but Its also a VERY well served route southwest, american, and delta. They would have to think they can chase delta off the route or i dont see there be room. No way can that market handle 2x VX also and thats what they would need to offer some time options and be competitive for the crowd they need.