Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sierrakilo44
Topic Author

American FA's Complain To Nicole Kidman Over EY Ad

Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:51 am

Is it a fair complaint, or is EY being attacked because it is a threat to american-based airlines?

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/bu...sky-talk-blog/article17203784.html

DTWLAX

RE: American FA's Complain To Nicole Kidman Over EY Ad

Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:18 am

A bunch of cry babies.... that is all to it.
Nicole Kidman is free to endorse whatever she wants to. If she wants to be associated with an airline that offers top notch service, it is her choice.

bgm

Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:19 am

Sour grapes from the disheveled dragon brigade.

jsnww81

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:00 am

Quoting bgm (Reply 2):

Certainly seems so, eh? AA's longhaul cabin crews are about the worst there is, and they (and their union leadership) know it. Watch them waddle through NRT or LHR on the heels of a graceful, smiling, professional non-US cabin crew, and you'll feel like hiding your passport.

Etihad is not Qatar Airways. There haven't been any accusations leveled at EY like the ones that have been aimed at QR. This seems like APFA lashing out for no reason - and at the wrong airline to boot. They ought to take a look at their membership and think about why longhaul passengers would choose another airline over AA. Nicole Kidman is certainly not the problem.

BestWestern

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:11 am

I took 4 EY flights in March, and the staff were really fantastic. I would go as far as saying, on three of the sectors - the best inflight cabin crew service I have ever witnessed. Really fantastic, loving their job and their product. (I slept for the 4th flight, so cant really tell)

Whilst this set of flights was fantastic - it is by no means a one off - I'm a Gold card holder with EY and they are my airline of choice between Asia and Europe.

Typically The letter totally misquotes the WSJ....

the Wall Street Journal has publicly reported “may fire women if they become pregnant” and forces flight attendants to live in “confinement” in secure compounds.

And in reality...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/persian-...new-global-flight-crews-1417646586

The housing is typically a two-bedroom apartment shared by two new hires in a secure compound—better than camps where construction workers typically live in Qatar and the U.A.E., but still criticized by U.S. and European airline labor unions as confinement. (The airlines say it isn’t confinement, but simply a way to keep employees safe.)

On pregnancy.... it says

Etihad will let pregnant crew members fly for the first three months, but then they have to leave or move into a ground job, if available.

[Edited 2015-04-02 23:14:00]

RyanairGuru

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:18 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 4):
forces flight attendants to live in “confinement” in secure compounds.

They really need to get their facts straight.

I'm not sure about QR, but at EK and EY (who both look after their employees significantly better than QR do) there is no requirement that you live in company provided accommodation after completing your training.

And the argument is just bizarre. Kidman can endorse whatever product she wants.

zeke

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:24 am

Elle Macpherson another Australian like Kidman was the face of Garuda for years. I don't fee why the flight attendants should seek to prohibit Kidman from earning income.

scbriml

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:32 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 6):
I don't fee why the flight attendants should seek to prohibit Kidman from earning income.

Because it's just not American! Oh wait, neither are Kidman or Etihad. Oh...

BestWestern

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:36 am

Looks terrible

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/32396526.jpg

And that poor enslaved cabin crew who has to live there....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icsrGM2Oezw

bgm

Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:37 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 8):
Looks terrible

Looks like a typical American vacation resort. The video showed spas, shops, restaurants etc. Yup, slave conditions indeed, 

It really is pathetically laughable how the US3 are clasping at straws here.

Welcome aboard Etihad Airways:

Welcome aboard American Airlines:

GSPSPOT

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:07 pm

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 3):
AA's longhaul cabin crews are about the worst there is, and they (and their union leadership) know it. Watch them waddle through NRT or LHR on the heels of a graceful, smiling, professional non-US cabin crew, and you'll feel like hiding your passport.

I've noticed similar on NW, DL and CO longhaul in the past, but only in the subjective age and looks areas. Service was at least friendly, if not quite "sophisticated". I can't speak to AA as I haven't flown them longhaul yet, but as my partner and I are now tied to AA based on where we currently live, I'm sure I'll find out soon.

[Edited 2015-04-03 07:22:30]

PanAm1971

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:18 pm

Back in the day US FA's knew the job was not forever. They enjoyed their time flying around the world... and prepared for the next stage of their lives. Back then that meant finding a husband or going to college. These days it would mean graduate school or entering a professional field. The service was MUCH better aboard US flagged carriers then. There's a reason for that. The job is not forever... and it is not a right.

AirPacific747

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:52 pm

I recently flew AA LHR-MIA and return. I honestly don't have any complaints regarding how the cabin crew was working or their servicemindedness. Friendly and smiling to me.

777way

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:58 pm

Nicole is not even American, what their problem, losers they are so jealous the a westerner is brand ambassador of an Arab airline, basically its hate for Arabs behind this agenda.

chepos

Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:14 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 13):

Hate for Arabs???? Come on now, there are a few people of Arab origin that work at AA and nobody is persecuting them. That claim is a bit ridiculous.

I myself like LG but I think this open letter to Nicole Kidman is unnecessary, she can endorse whomever she wishes. This portrayal of ME airlines as horrible villains is over the top.

eastern747

Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:34 pm

God am I sick of this same song coming back. I believe back in the day several European airlines grounded flight staff when they reached a certain age and were assigned ground jobs. Swissair comes to mind. " Back in the day, flying was expensive and the flights were full of business folk" Come fly with me,(National Airlines) where the f/as had shorts on up to their ass. Large cities with bases had apartment complexes that were stew zoos. Men weren't allow to fly as stewards until some guy with big [email protected]@@s sued PanAm in the early 70's and won. ME3 flight crews are trained and told that if they don't do what's told, they are gone. Last rant.....How would you react to having a job, where you dress in a sharp uniform, fix your hair and spend time pulling yourself together. The next time you folks get on plane, take a moment to take your headsets off, put down your play toys and ipods and pay attention to the F/As when they give safety instructions. Look them in the eye and be courteous. The flying public today are rude. I wouldn't be Miss Mary Sunshine if I had to deal with the trash that flies today. When they come to your row, put down your play toys and put a pause on the movie and give the inflight staff your attention. You do that and your Mother would be proud. And before you flame me, I was not a F/a. I spent most of my career in Dining services.

JOYA380B747

Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:40 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 8):
And that poor enslaved cabin crew who has to live there....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icsrGM2Oezw

Probably missing the point of this topic.... the Etihad FA in that YT video tho!! (ended up watching all the vids in her channel - don't understand a word in Russian)    

Francoflier

Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:46 pm

Quoting DTWLAX (Reply 1):
icole Kidman is free to endorse whatever she wants to.

Absolutely.

Although I doubt she gives a rat's fart about the underlying labor conditions, however good or bad they may be, and is just happy to take the money and get whizzed around in the A380 Residence suite.

I know I would...

futureorthopod

Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Quoting bgm (Reply 9):
It really is pathetically laughable how the US3 are clasping at straws here.

hahahaha those pics are classic and ohhhh so characteristic of the difference between the US3 and the top tier international airlines

[Edited 2015-04-03 09:22:33]

afcjets

Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:37 pm

Nicole Kidman is free to endorse whatever she wants to. If she wants to be associated with an airline that offers top notch service, it is her choice.

Yup, and AA flight attendants are free to write an open letter to her. According to the article, she is a high profile international women's right advocate as a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador and they feel it is hypocritical that she would endorse a state subsidized airline from a region which many feel lags behind in women's rights.

777way

Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:45 pm

Quoting afcjets (Reply 20):
According to the article, she is a high profile international women's right advocate

Yes but still, who hasnt it botherd her native Australians and crew from western Europe, Canada, New Zealand, are there no women in their crews what about Asian womens rights organisations or even those from Africa and latin America do they not care about womens rights? obviously there is some bias and an agenda.

readytotaxi

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:06 pm

Quoting bgm (Reply 9):

that looks like my childhood Nanny !

afcjets

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:14 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 21):
Yes but still, who hasnt it botherd her native Australians and crew from western Europe, Canada, New Zealand, are there no women in their crews what about Asian womens rights organisations or even those from Africa and latin America do they not care about womens rights? obviously there is some bias and an agenda.

It would not surprise me in the least if AA management helped orchestrate the effort because they see ME3 carriers as one of the their biggest threats down the road, so any management bias would be purely about $. The flight attendant union though is not overly concerned with that (whether or not they should be is a different topic), they are concerned about women's rights. I am not sure if you aware of it, but we have been informed by our leaders warfare is being waged on women in America today by a major political party so women's issues here tend to get a lot of airtime.

MKIAZ

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:57 pm

Quoting johnboy (Reply 24):
It would not surprise me in the least if AA management helped orchestrate the effort because they see ME3 carriers as one of the their biggest threats down the road, so any management bias would be purely about $. The flight attendant union though is not overly concerned with that (whether or not they should be is a different topic), they are concerned about women's rights

I think you have it completely backwards. AA management is not mad at Etihad... they are partners. AA is making money feeding EY's flights. AA doesn't even compete with the ME3 as they don't fly to the mid east / Africa (unlike DL).

AA's union on the other hand is worried about the same things as every other union, namely loss of relevance and/or members. To that end, it is bad for them if airlines with non-union FA's are successful and start rapidly expanding as it puts their relevance in question.

AirlineCritic

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:41 pm

Somebody should sue the ME3 for unfair competitive practices. Smiling flight attendants, that is totally inappropriate subsidy for their business.

US3, sigh... improve your game, stop complaining, but a smile on your faces  

jsnww81

Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:56 pm

In November of last year, I completed two longhaul trips in J, on Etihad (AUH-LAX) and on American (LAX-NRT). The experiences were very revealing of how crew on each approach their duties:

On Etihad, three crew members were waiting at the door. One took my boarding pass, walked me to my seat, took my coat, asked me if I wanted a pre-departure drink, and explained the functionality of the seat to me. Once I was seated, the J cabin supervisor knelt next to me, welcomed me by name, walked me through the service cadence of the flight, explained the various food and beverage options, and took my meal orders. Champagne was brought in a glass. Meals were provided with restaurant-style presentation, cooked to order. Crew was in the aisles constantly, refilling drinks and making conversation. When it got dark outside, they walked the aisles offering to make up each passenger's bed.

On American, when I boarded at NRT, there was no flight attendant in the 777's entrance vestibule. I found my seat and sat with my coat in my lap until after we took off, when I finally asked an FA if she could hang it (at that point she was taking drink orders and looked annoyed at having to take it.) Pre-departure drinks consisted of prosecco in plastic cups. Menus were distributed without a word and no explanation of options was given. When orders were taken, I noticed the phrase "greet passengers by name" was printed in large bold letters across the order sheet. Neither FA bothered to look at the names and just said "dinner tonight?" over and over again. Plastic drink cups weren't picked up before departure and passengers had them hold them during takeoff. After the meal service, I sat for another thirty minutes with my dirty tray in front of me; one FA even walked the aisles instructing everyone to lower their shades, but never picked up trays. Drink refills had to be requested in person, in the galley, until the second service an hour before landing.

Are these all first-world problems? Of course. But when you have experiences like these, there's no question why a savvy traveler wouldn't choose the better service provider. The AA crew wasn't polished and made it clear they had no interest in delivering a superior experience. They went through the basic motions required to keep their jobs, then sat down for the rest of the flight. On Etihad, the preflight announcements describe the crew as "being here to look after you." On American, "we're here primarily for your safety."

APFA knows its members lag their international peers where service and attitude are concerned. Admittedly, carriers like EY, EK, JL, CX, etc. provide more resources and more amenities for crews to deliver for passengers. But it's no excuse for AA crews not even delivering the bare minimum of service. It's not an issue of wanting young, sexy crew or forcing people to retire at a certain age. It's an issue of a workforce that is unwilling to deliver a competitive experience, and a union looking to divert attention.

This Kidman flap is a sideshow that distracts from larger, more glaring issues.

afcjets

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:24 pm

Quoting MKIAZ (Reply 23):
I think you have it completely backwards. AA management is not mad at Etihad... they are partners. AA is making money feeding EY's flights. AA doesn't even compete with the ME3 as they don't fly to the mid east / Africa (unlike DL).

AA and EY certainly do compete and in one of the most lucrative and emerging markets. AA is planning on expanding South America to Asia even more via their DFW hub which is in direct competition with EY's AUH hub. AA also competes with Oneworld partner BA despite their partnership. Things can get nasty between partners as evidenced by the battle going on right now between the US3 and ME3, which are America, Delta, and United's newest and substantial threats long term.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...tep-up-dogfight-with-gulf-carriers

Flighty

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:36 pm

There is no reason why older people can't provide exceptional service. It is the same as hotels or other professional service environments.

However, when a staff member stops providing top quality service to customers -- for whatever reason -- there is nothing wrong with giving that job to an applicant who performs the job better, and saying goodbye to the employee who isn't as good at the job.

Age is the wrong thing on which to focus. Plenty of young people would provide HORRIBLE service. The ME3 simply enforce performance standards on their staff, and the US3 do not. To me that is not slavery, it is actually called professionalism.

AR385

Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:10 pm

I find it ironic that a union leader is essentially criticizing another person for her freedom of labor.

Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 15):
God am I sick of this same song coming
Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 15):
if I had to deal with the trash that flies today.

And where is Eastern now? They are not flying around the world with A380s are they?...

jsnww81

Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:47 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 27):
Age is the wrong thing on which to focus. Plenty of young people would provide HORRIBLE service. The ME3 simply enforce performance standards on their staff, and the US3 do not. To me that is not slavery, it is actually called professionalism.

Spot on. Airlines like Lufthansa, Qantas and SAS have plenty of senior crew members, just as the US3 do. They have no problem delivering high-quality, professional service every time.

It's been so long since AA's longhaul crews were held accountable for their generally subpar performance that many clearly believe they are untouchable, and continue to let standards slip lower and lower.

It's very telling that AA's advertising for premium service revolves almost exclusively around seats and IFE. You'll almost never see a crew member depicted in the advertising, because (for whatever reason) the airline has given up trying to enforce service standards among its most tenured crews. They really do mar what could otherwise be an exceptionally competitive product.

afcjets

Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:57 pm

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 29):
It's very telling that AA's advertising for premium service revolves almost exclusively around seats and IFE

And IMO it would be very smart if AA would invest more in the seat and cabin aesthetics because it appears US airlines have little control over unionized customer service delivery today.

texdravid

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:14 pm

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 25):

Consider yourself lucky. Most of us fly AA coach and whether it's a CDG-DFW 763ER or a DFW-ORD MD-80, the service in the back is beyond horrible. I fly them all the time and I am an elite status on them. I actually have personally witnessed two FA's stopping drink service and bitching about union issues and criticizing AA!

Or, loudly complaining about work issues around final approach so loud the last few rows could easily hear.

The unprofessionalism of AA crews just amazes me. The demeanor, their slovenly dress, their entitled attitudes are beyond disgraceful. Don't even get me started on UA!

chepos

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:14 pm

I will be the first one to say AA has some F/A's that have no business flying anymore but AA also has some excellent long haul crews. I recently flew in J DFW-SCL-MIA, the IDF crew on the southbound leg was very nice and very procesional. Everythinfg was delivered with a smile and they overall did a great job. Northbound SCL MIA was a SCL based crew and it was the best crew I have ever seen on AA. Excellent purser and exteemely profesional crew as a whole. Yes both sets of crews were senior but they did an excellent job. Like any airline AA has some crew members who should move on but as a whole many try their best with what they have.

timpdx

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:20 pm

I am" fresh"off taking EY from LAX to AUH to EVN. Have nothing to say about the excellence of the crews on both legs. Attentive, plenty of snacks for the crazy long sector from LA. (We did 9100+ miles, wellover the GC route). Excellent IFE with a deep selection. But this is my first 10Y 777 and its pretty awful, esp. On the 3rd longest non stop in the world. But kudos to the EY staff mixed crew from all over the world great for making up for the cramped plane.

AA cant hold a candle to this level of service. And they still cram in 10Y on the 77W. American an complain all they want, but I know wheremy travel dollaris going when I am in this part of the world.

And, of course they play the Kidman ad, and show of The Residence on video screns

[Edited 2015-04-03 16:21:18]

[Edited 2015-04-03 16:29:53]

DDR

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:23 pm

Quoting bgm (Reply 9):

Ha Ha. You made me laugh out loud. That was actually hilarious.

afcjets

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:34 pm

The thing I don't quite get is unless someone is a slave to their employer's corporate contract, lives in a hub city, or unless they are redeeming miles from a previous era, if they are so put off by the treatment from AA cabin crews, why not just fly Delta? While all airline's have gone down hill since the golden age of flying and even since the 90s, Delta cabin crews are still non-unionized and much more professional and friendly, relatively speaking. While they have formerly unionized NW flight attendants, Delta gave them raises and they are much better off, and you don't hear often about poor customer service from even DTW and MSP crews. Actually if things are as bad on AA today as portrayed in these forums which I am not doubting, I would even choose to change planes over flying nonstop if I could avoid all the negativity.

[Edited 2015-04-03 16:42:52]

joeycapps

Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:05 am

Not to get overly political, and I am just as proud to be in America as anyone else - but in the typical 'new age' mentality in the US, folks are too busy trying to police the world, and ignoring the mess in our own backyard. I remember reading awhile back that US pilots were moving to companies like Etihad and Emirates because they could make more money and more benefits, than even more senior flight crew at US airlines.

At the end of the day, a celebrity's endorsements are business. I saw the Kidman ad campaign when it posted on A.Net awhile back, and there was nothing of controversy or worth mentioning, other than a popular [albeit beautiful] actress, promoting a wonderful product. Don't like it? Don't fly it. 99% sure that cabin crew in other countries don't have a gun up to their head to work, and could leave when they want. Let's face it; unless you're upfront, I doubt there's a shortage of cabin crew [or cabin-crew wannabees] in the world.

chepos

Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:11 am

Quoting afcjets (Reply 35):

The thing I don't quite get is unless someone is a slave to their employer's corporate contract, lives in a hub city, or unless they are redeeming miles from a previous era, if they are so put off by the treatment from AA cabin crews, why not just fly Delta? While all airline's have gone down hill since the golden age of flying and even since the 90s, Delta cabin crews are still non-unionized and much more professional and friendly, relatively speaking. While they have formerly unionized NW flight attendants, Delta gave them raises and they are much better off, and you don't hear often about poor customer service from even DTW and MSP crews. Actually if things are as bad on AA today as portrayed in these forums which I am not doubting, I would even choose to change planes over flying nonstop if I could avoid all the negativity.

While we like to romanticize about how excellent DL is they have their fair share of surly crrews as well. I recall two recent examples of flying on DL, both of these were between SJU and ATL.
Example 1.1) Went into the lav and noticed there was no soap, I exited the aft lav and advised the crew member in the aft galley that they were out of soap. On our aircraft we carry an Lavatory service kit kit containing extra soap and lav supplies so I advised her in case they had something similar or extra lav supplies. She looks at me and says "What do you want me to do?" and shrugs, it seems like I was bothering her by advising her. While doing the drink run she seemed annoyed to be there and was more interested in talking to her colleague on the other side of the cart,
On a second recent flight between SJU-ATL this F/A again while doing the service was literally screaming at some pax who had a hard time with the language. When she got to my seat I asked her if she was the one doing bob sales, she almost shouting at me said "What d you want to order, come on". In a nasty tone, apparently she was in arush and wanted to get the service done asap and not have to deal with passengers. Flying many times on numerous US carriers I can tell you every single airline has their fair share of flight attendant who provide subpaer service, even DL. Just like every airline has excellent crew members.

afcjets

Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:10 am

Quoting chepos (Reply 37):
Flying many times on numerous US carriers I can tell you every single airline has their fair share of flight attendant who provide subpaer service, even DL. Just like every airline has excellent crew members.

So true and anyone can have a bad day, but what is more commonplace on AA seems to be more rare on Delta. Not trying to defend the Delta flight attendant you mentioned, but at least in that case her surly response of what do you want me to do was because she is not a fleet services agent and there is not much she can do in the air, other than the direct you to another lavatory. You mentioned it was aft too, so it's not like she is going to take it from FC and put it back in coach. I don't think they stock extra soap on board for FAs to refill I believe that is all done on the ground. The difference is most of the AA stories you read about seem to be when a passenger asks a flight attendant for something that is part of their actual basic job description.

The worst I have ever been treated on Delta is when the FA took my pre-departure drink order for a short late night flight and I asked for club soda. When she came back to my seat I asked do you have a lemon or lime and she responded something like "Oh, you are going to be THAT passenger!" but then she smiled and she was just being sarcastic, but she still was only half joking and got her point across, "it's late honey, it's a short flight, do you really need a lime, can't it wait til after takeoff?"

jc2354

Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:54 am

Quoting texdravid (Reply 31):
The unprofessionalism of AA crews just amazes me. The demeanor, their slovenly dress, their entitled attitudes are beyond disgraceful. Don't even get me started on UA!

I think this applies to all the US airlines. If I have a choice, I will always fly the international flag carrier of the country I'm going to.

As for Ms. Kidman, it's interesting how our morals, thoughts, views, etc., can be had for a price. I wonder how much her price was?

chepos

Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:58 am

Yes, aircraft carry extra labatory suppliss. On US and certain AA aircraft there is a black box called the lavatory service kit which containe extra stock. On the aircraft that do not have the box (737 and S80) theze are located in lav compartments. Not sure what DL does but we at AA/US if cabin supplies it on the overnight it is there.

Jamake1

Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:59 am

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 25):
In November of last year, I completed two longhaul trips in J, on Etihad (AUH-LAX) and on American (LAX-NRT). The experiences were very revealing of how crew on each approach their duties:

On Etihad, three crew members were waiting at the door. One took my boarding pass, walked me to my seat, took my coat, asked me if I wanted a pre-departure drink, and explained the functionality of the seat to me. Once I was seated, the J cabin supervisor knelt next to me, welcomed me by name, walked me through the service cadence of the flight, explained the various food and beverage options, and took my meal orders. Champagne was brought in a glass. Meals were provided with restaurant-style presentation, cooked to order. Crew was in the aisles constantly, refilling drinks and making conversation. When it got dark outside, they walked the aisles offering to make up each passenger's bed.

On American, when I boarded at NRT, there was no flight attendant in the 777's entrance vestibule. I found my seat and sat with my coat in my lap until after we took off, when I finally asked an FA if she could hang it (at that point she was taking drink orders and looked annoyed at having to take it.) Pre-departure drinks consisted of prosecco in plastic cups. Menus were distributed without a word and no explanation of options was given. When orders were taken, I noticed the phrase "greet passengers by name" was printed in large bold letters across the order sheet. Neither FA bothered to look at the names and just said "dinner tonight?" over and over again. Plastic drink cups weren't picked up before departure and passengers had them hold them during takeoff. After the meal service, I sat for another thirty minutes with my dirty tray in front of me; one FA even walked the aisles instructing everyone to lower their shades, but never picked up trays. Drink refills had to be requested in person, in the galley, until the second service an hour before landing.

Are these all first-world problems? Of course. But when you have experiences like these, there's no question why a savvy traveler wouldn't choose the better service provider. The AA crew wasn't polished and made it clear they had no interest in delivering a superior experience. They went through the basic motions required to keep their jobs, then sat down for the rest of the flight. On Etihad, the preflight announcements describe the crew as "being here to look after you." On American, "we're here primarily for your safety."

APFA knows its members lag their international peers where service and attitude are concerned. Admittedly, carriers like EY, EK, JL, CX, etc. provide more resources and more amenities for crews to deliver for passengers. But it's no excuse for AA crews not even delivering the bare minimum of service. It's not an issue of wanting young, sexy crew or forcing people to retire at a certain age. It's an issue of a workforce that is unwilling to deliver a competitive experience, and a union looking to divert attention.

This is an excellent post. There's so much I want to say that I don't quite know where to start. I am a career flight attendant. Although at this point in my life, I thought I would've moved on by now. I earned my business degree somewhat later in life and when I graduated, the world was in the midst of one of the worst economic downturns in history. I took a voluntary furlough in order to complete my university studies in hopes that I would move on from flying. In the words of the late John Lennon, "Sometimes you make plans and then life shows up."

U.S. carriers are at a competitive disadvantage to the ME3 carriers because we have labor laws in the U.S. that permit flight attendants to fly well into their 80's. This could not happen anywhere else in the world. Secondly, most of the ME3 carriers do not allow female flight attendants to be a mother and still fly. I believe some of the Asian carriers have some of the same restrictions.

Furthermore, flight attendants are subject to age discrimination in many parts of the world. Most of the ME3 carriers hire their flight attendants on a contract basis. As such, you do not see cabin crew in their 40's and 50's working for Emirates, Ethihad, or Qatar Airways.

I will never, ever defend U.S. flight attendants who have lost sight of the reason why they (we) were hired. At the end of the day, we are paid to be professional ambassadors of our respective airline. Losing pensions in bankruptcy; having to take pay cuts; etc. does not give flight attendants the right to be rude. We are paid to put on a good face for our respective airline's customer base.

On another note, since labor laws in the U.S. tend to be much more progressive, there is an inherent maturation of labor costs in the U.S. relative to the Asian and ME3 carriers. In Asia especially, flight attendant recruitment is based upon one's age and physical size. A man or woman in their their 40's would never be hired as a new recruit in the way that they could be hired by a U.S. carrier. Furthermore, since U.S. carriers have career flight attendants in the way that Asian and ME3 carriers do not, U.S. carriers are relegated to having to do more with less...in terms of much higher labor costs. Asian and ME3 carriers have the ability to staff their aircraft with more junior flight attendants at a much lower pay scale than U.S. carriers are able to staff their flights...who have a significantly higher cost of labor. As such, U.S. flight attendants often have to make do greater passenger demands and fewer cabin crew members relative to Asian and ME3 carriers.

I don't mean to make excuses, but rather making the point that there are significant workplace constrains and realities of U.S.-based airlines in comparison to Asian and ME3-based airlines. And none of this means that I excuse poor service on the part of U.S.-based cabin crew members. Since U.S. carriers have to pay for costs of capital in a way that ME3 carriers do not; U.S. carriers are simply unwilling to expend the capital necessary to hold flight attendants accountable to a higher standard. As such, U.S. carriers are simply not willing to invest in the capital that is necessary to hold their own cabin crews to a higher standard.

At the same time, U.S. customers are somewhat complicit in the dismal service that they receive while traveling on U.S. airlines. The American consumer has demonstrated repeatedly that cost is the most important factor when choosing air transportation. If ME3 airlines do not have to pay for costs of capital based upon the fact that they are subsidized by their respective governments, then indeed there is an unequal playing field.

At the end of the day, it is so easy to say that ME3 carriers are a cut above...but if those carriers are operating with immunity from pure market forces, then it's a comparison of apples to oranges.

777Jet

Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:20 am

Nicole can endorse whatever she wants and I don't think she cares one bit what sour FA's from a much inferior airline think.

A bunch of cry babies....

Quoting bgm (Reply 2):

LOL

Quoting bgm (Reply 9):
Quoting bgm (Reply 9):

Hahaha those pics are way too funny, but sadly tell the truth  
Quoting 777way (Reply 13):
Nicole is not even American, what their problem, losers they are so jealous the a westerner is brand ambassador of an Arab airline, basically its hate for Arabs behind this agenda.

Interesting insights...

ikramerica

Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:46 am

My guess is that besides the human rights aspect, they are also miffed because she has flown on AA in F so much during her career on the studio dime (and probably been demanding while doing so) and then shows her gratitude by endorsing another a carrier.

BestWestern

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:43 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 44):
and then shows her gratitude by endorsing another a carrier.

And they show their gratitude by dumping on her.

besides the human rights aspect,

Remind me, What Human righst aspects are EY breaking?

RyanairGuru

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:03 am

I assure you that if AA put down 7 or 8 figures then she would be more than willing to "show gratitude"  

But seriously, you argument is pitiful. All that AA did is deliver a service they were contracted to provide; beyond paying the ticket price she owes them nothing.

rlwynn

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:19 am

Delta on Longhaul is not so bad. I really cannot say I have had a bad experience. AA on the other hand is hit and miss. And I am only talking about fron the back of the plane. The last AA flight from LAX-LHR was almost funny. The old FA had the enough time in the plane that she could take your drink order and give it to you wthout ever looking at you. I noticed it the once and she did it everytime. It is just the work culture and what is tolerated with the US3.

almehairiauh

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:38 am

I did not get the point why they keep on complaining, now the confirm that they are really jealous on EY steps,
Next they will talk about the food onboard " Why no pork" just deal with it.
Each airline has its own way but with rules

bennett123

Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:15 am

AA should get their own celebrity.

BestWestern

Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:40 am

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 49):

AA should get their own celebrity.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos