Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

Yet Another SJC Fence Hopper Security Breach

Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:17 pm

5th one in 1-year.

What is going on? Is fence hopping becoming a hobby in Silicon Valley?

Latest airport fence breach renews focus on persistent problem

Nearly a year after a high-profile security breach at Mineta San Jose International Airport, little seems to have been done to bolster what has proven to be a repeatedly exposed vulnerability: 6 miles of perimeter fence that doesn't do its job of keeping people out.

That was evident yet again on Tuesday when a 20-year-old woman apparently hopped the fence and was spotted walking across the tarmac by a UPS driver.

The fifth security breach in less than a year at the San Jose airport once again has politicians in the nation's capitol renewing calls for more significant security upgrades.

"I don't know of any other airport in the country that has had five security breaches this year," said Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Hayward, a member of the House Intelligence Committee, who described the repeated breaches in San Jose as "alarming."

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-cou...eached-airport-security-identified

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

n53614

RE: Yet Another SJC Fence Hopper Security Breach

Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:55 pm

I have to wonder how much the publicity given to the Hawaiian stow-away has contributed to the increase of (reported) SJC breaches.

I do know that this will only lead to increased scrutiny and the possible removal of our beloved spotting locations at SJC.
B722 B732 B733 B734 B735 B73G B738 B739 B742 B752 B763 B772 A319 A320 A332 CRJ2 DHC8 DH8D E135 E140 E145 MD83

mikesairways

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:26 pm

I'm sure this happens at other airports more frequently than is actually reported. But the system worked, someone was spotted with out credentials, was challenged and law enforcement removed the person. No system will ever totally prevent a breach -- if someone wants in they are going to get in. Great job to all at SJC who intercepted and handled the situation.

On that note, I'm a bit more apprehensive about spotting in my favorite locations now as the common folks don't understand why i'm standing next to the roadway with my camera and radio. I've been contacted by Law Enforcement a couple of times while out there and each time has been a positive experience.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

mercure1

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:35 pm

As article states, there have been 5 known breaches, but how many more undetected at SJC?

Its interesting that the main fence at SJC is mere 6 feet (under 2 meters) in height in areas. I always thought there would be government regulations on higher required fencing for sensitive facilities such as airports.

I believe in the EU regulations call for something like 2.5 - 3.0 meter fencing plus things like slanted or barbed wire designs to discourage entry.
mercure f-wtcc

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:50 pm

Yes both the FAA and TSA have guidelines on the books in regards to perimeter security standards including very detailed information in fencing types, heights, setbacks, additional coils/razor choices, fabric covering etc.

Interesting the lowest allowed fence height today per the guidelines is 7 feet plus one or more coils of stranded barbed wire on top.

As article states the SJC seeks to modernize its perimeter with 10-foot fences but it still working on getting the millions in money.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

cabochris

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:16 pm

Security breach...lol. Dont think for a second a chain-link fence will stop a determined individual to climb over, cut or drive through, at any height or with razor coils.. they are what they are, just Animal Barriers. You see, the threat of a deer or coyote running across the actives and coming in contact with an aircraft on takeoff or landing is the point of these perimeter fences. The patrolling security vehicles are for the humans. Maybe step up the patrol times, I believe right now they are set at like 1 an hour for the whole perimeter in most places, like SJC. It is sad that a non event, crazy person on a walk becomes a news story, then a politician gets on the horse, because if becomes political equity you will see action that will cost allot and not actually solve anything. Your fears of loosing viewing access may be become true... but for what?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos