Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Deltabravo1123
Topic Author

JFK Airport Expansion And Slots

Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:50 am

Forgive me for being a bit ignorant on the topic... The USDOT website says, "The slot restrictions at...the two New York airports have expired, although the Department has implemented different operational limitations to relieve congestion at LaGuardia, JFK and Newark airports." What are these new "limitations" that were imposed? I've always been under the impression that slot restrictions were still in place.

I am also not extremely familiar with any planned expansion that is going to take place at JFK concerning new runways or new terminals. However, I was looking at Google Earth images of JFK and it seems like there is a substantial amount of space between 4L/22R and 4R/22L. Is there any possibility or likelihood that a 4C/22C could be built there or has that already been ruled out for some reason? Also, to the south of 13R/31L, there is a huge amount of space that could support another 13/31 parallel runway. Obviously artificial land would have to be constructed to support a runway there. Is this area under wildlife protection or something of the sort or is it another possible place for a new runway? I imagine just one additional runway could help a huge amount with delays and congestion.

Any input or info is appreciated!

LAXintl

RE: JFK Airport Expansion And Slots

Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:59 am

Slot rules are still very much in place.

The FAA has issued a NPRM in November 2014 that would by October 2016 modify the slot management process. Without getting into all the minutia, the FAA basically seeks to adopt and standardize its process more along the lines of the global IATA slot administration guidelines.

Link to NPRM in federal register:

http://www.federalregister.gov/artic...-kennedy-international-airport-and

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

strfyr51

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:48 am

71 operations per hour at LGA when they're presently over 100 is going to be hard to take.
The 0000-0600 curfew has reduced some problems but flights would have to divert were they to
be delayed from The west coast at 1645. though A redeye might fare nicely with a Tag landing after 0600 at LGA. UA98 was one of my favorite flights to Visit both DC and PHL to see family.
Catch the 10PM SFO-LAX , then LAX-IAD-PHL on UA98 the morning departure was no problem as I had ORD,DEN or IAD from PHL and numerous directs or connections to the west coast from IAD.
We were especially good at discerning Thru plane service to the west coast with MSP and DFW being the prime targets and I also routed friends and family like that to save them money as 1 stop service was cheaper than non-stop service even if it was thru service..

Moose135

Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:19 pm

Quoting deltabravo1123 (Thread starter):
Also, to the south of 13R/31L, there is a huge amount of space that could support another 13/31 parallel runway. Obviously artificial land would have to be constructed to support a runway there. Is this area under wildlife protection or something of the sort or is it another possible place for a new runway?

Yes, that's Jamaica Bay, a federally protected wildlife sanctuary, you are not going to build anything there.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

global2

Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:51 pm

Now that the B concourse at Terminal 4 has been extended (by Delta) to what feels like five miles in length, will the A concourse be extended? It only has six gates.

I am also not extremely familiar with any planned expansion that is going to take place at JFK concerning new runways or new terminals.

I believe Jetblue is about to build Terminal 5i where the former National Airlines Sundrome used to be.
Some day, American's Terminal 8 may have it's other half built should other OW partners like BA, CX, and JL choose to move in.
And then there's the big question about what will become of Terminal 2 (former Northwest/Northeast/Braniff), and the site of the now demolished Pan Am Worldport (T3).

jetbluefan1

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:39 pm

Quoting Global2 (Reply 4):
I believe Jetblue is about to build Terminal 5i where the former National Airlines Sundrome used to be.

Terminal 5i opened a few months ago. I flew through it in February after returning from GCM; it is head and shoulders above the immigration experience at Terminal 4.

That said, when Terminal 5 was first built, I'm pretty sure there was talk of it potentially being expanded from 26 gates to 36 gates, if needed. Terminal 5i added 3 gates (and converted 3 existing gates to international arrival-capable), so there is space for about 7 more gates in case the terminal is extended any further.

aajfksjubklyn

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:49 pm

[quote=Moose135,reply=3]
Also, to the south of 13R/31L, there is a huge amount of space that could support another 13/31 parallel runway. Obviously artificial land would have to be constructed to support a runway there. Is this area under wildlife protection or something of the sort or is it another possible place for a new runway?

Yes, that's Jamaica Bay, a federally protected wildlife sanctuary, you are not going to build anything there. [/quote

Normally I would agree, but this rule went out the door when they allowed a gas pipeline under Jamaica bay and through Riis Park which is part of the same federally protected land- aka Jamaica Bay national park or simply Gateway

Moose135

Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:29 am

Quoting aajfksjubklyn (Reply 6):
Normally I would agree, but this rule went out the door when they allowed a gas pipeline under Jamaica bay and through Riis Park which is part of the same federally protected land- aka Jamaica Bay national park or simply Gateway

A pipeline under the bay is very different from filling the bay to build a runway on it.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

flyinghippo

Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:39 am

No matter how much JFK expands, it will never get to fully realize it's capabilities due to LGA's airspace getting in the way. As of now, JFK cannot use all of its 4 runways simultaneously because of LGA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos