SCQ83
Topic Author

Ryanair Bans Booze On Glasgow-Ibiza Flights

Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:20 pm

According to a Spanish newspaper, for safety reasons and due to previous incidents, Ryanair is apparently banning alcohol on flights from Glasgow Prestwick to Ibiza

http://www.elmundo.es/baleares/2015/...4/07/5523c58c22601d59708b4578.html

This is the original link (in English):

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...ans-booze-notorious-flight-5462177

Would this be for real or made up by the British tabloid? How does the airline implement such a measure in a particular flight? What happens if you are caught with booze?

CRJ900

RE: Ryanair Bans Booze On Glasgow-Ibiza Flights

Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:35 pm

Then I assume they will not sell any alcohol from their trolleys either? Replace the drawers containing alcohol with soda and water.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

tortugamon

Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:55 pm

This seems to be more about the problem of bringing alcohol on to the flight.

tortugamon

N1120A

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:57 pm

Where is GKirk to respond?  
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

toxtethogrady

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:14 am

Probably a prudent move on their part.

frostyj

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:46 am

Ban alcohol on ALL flights.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

roseflyer

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:56 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Thread starter):
Would this be for real or made up by the British tabloid? How does the airline implement such a measure in a particular flight? What happens if you are caught with booze?

If you have duty free alcohol, they will gate check it for you. The problem is people drinking from the large duty free bottles. The small bottles served on board aren't as big of a problem.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

gkirk

Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:44 am

Quoting frostyj (Reply 5):

Wind your neck in, just because a tiny minority cannae handle their juice, it doesn't mean others have to suffer.

The Weegies are known for their drinking culture, EK's GLA-DXB route serves more onboard alcohol than any other route that EK operates, and that includes the 5 x daily whales into LHR!
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Cipango

Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:22 am

Enough with the sweeping statements. It's getting very annoying.

Quoting gkirk (Reply 7):
The Weegies are known for their drinking culture, EK's GLA-DXB route serves more onboard alcohol than any other route that EK operates, and that includes the 5 x daily whales into LHR!

Wow. Where did you hear that?

I glad Ireland didn't get the title. We don't all pour vodka into our cereal and whiskey in our coffees like the world believes   
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

coolian2

Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:34 am

Why?
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

Auchmithie

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:07 am

Quoting Cipango (Reply 8):
EK's GLA-DXB route serves more onboard alcohol than any other route that EK operates, and that includes the 5 x daily whales into LHR!

Wow. Where did you hear that?

I was (very proudly) told this by a Emirates Leisure Sales Rep in Glasgow circa 2006.

PlymSpotter

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:08 am

No. Just ban idiots.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

SKAirbus

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:16 am

To be fair they should ban alcohol on all "bucket and spade" holiday flights from the UK... Brits are notoriously awful when it comes to drinking before and during travel. The only other country where I regularly see people binge drinking at airports at 5 am is Norway...

Unfortunately in the UK and Norway binge drinking is so engrained in the culture that people cannot go on holiday without consuming copious amounts of it*... People have no "situasjonsforståelse" as people say in Norway.

*A gross generalisation but stereotypes are there for a reason.
Base: BRU

ltbewr

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:44 am

Probably another way Ryanair can get a fee, like 5 Euros/Pounds for holding from your booze during your flight.

This may become a more common policy on Ryanair and other airlines on selected flights due to disruptions, costly diversions, and ruining the flight of the overwhelming majority of flyers.

frostyj

Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:05 am

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 9):

Because its a small enclosed space and we don't need the hassle.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

Cipango

Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:15 am

Quoting frostyj (Reply 14):
Because its a small enclosed space and we don't need the hassle.

Then just fly Saudi Arabian airlines or Royal Brunei if you don't want alcohol on your flight. I am fully entitled to a drink on a flight with my meal and I don't ever remember being a "hassle" to anyone.

[Edited 2015-04-08 04:16:39]
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

PlymSpotter

Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:30 am

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 12):
Brits are notoriously awful when it comes to drinking before and during travel. The only other country where I regularly see people binge drinking at airports at 5 am is Norway...

That is a silly generalisation - I've seen this in every country I've been to frequently.

Dan  

frostyj

Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:36 am

Quoting Cipango (Reply 15):

I am not a fan of alcohol and I am entitled to my views.

kdhurst380

Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:07 pm

Quoting frostyj (Reply 17):
I am not a fan of alcohol and I am entitled to my views.

You are even if the statements are a bit unfair.

I personally like to relax in the airport with a drink, and have a couple whilst in the air (particularly on longer sectors), Nobody else has to suffer me misbehaving because I, like the majority, enjoy a drink and conduct myself in an adult manner, like the adult that I am.

I hate this culture of banning things that people enjoy because of the actions of a few, it's not on. Deal with the root of the problem (which Ryanair in this case are doing), you have never been allowed to consume alcohol that you bring onboard yourself on any airline, which all this move by Ryanair does is make sure that definitely cannot happen, as opposed to trusting people not to.

I suspect they will still sell from the onboard bars, the article does not mention stopping this, the difference however is that the crew can limit your consumption/how much you are sold. That's sensible.

gilesdavies

Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:55 pm

No one should be able to bring alcohol onto a flight...

You are not allowed to open duty free before arriving into the country you are traveling to and because of the no liquids rule through security, it shouldn't be happening.

Cabin crew onboard a flight, have a responsibility not to provide further alcohol to passengers if in their opinion have had too much already... So if the cabin crew are happy to continue plying these passenger with alcohol, after they have spent the last few hours in the bar at the airport, they very much have themselves to blame.

Also if these passengers have had too much to drink before boarding and causing concern, they should not be allowed to board the flight.

While no one likes confrontation, it is the cabin crews job to enforce the rules where necessary. But they seem to like taking the softly softly approach and just keep giving the passengers what they want, to avoid upsetting anyone and cross their fingers hoping the alcohol does not cause an issue on the flight.
(This is however only my experience on previous flights to Europe!)

Unfortunately us Brits do have a reputation for drinking... I recently flew MAN-ATL with Delta and the cabin crew kept saying in a polite way how we liked our liquor on the flight, and don't usually get through the amount they did, on similar flights...

It was prompted after I asked for a Jack Daniels on the flights and they ran out of all bourbon whiskies, vodka and red wine! However I should point out there didn't appear to be any problems and was a very peaceful flights.

It doesn't apply to FR, but if there is free alcohol on a flight, boy oh boy do us Brits jump at the opportunity!

ec99

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:05 pm

The English article at least pretty clearly indicates that this only means you wont be allowed to bring duty free alcohol in your hand luggage.

It is hard to believe Ryanair would want to stop sales onboard. Any flight crew here can correct me but I imagine on a full holiday flight to Ibiza, which would take about three hours, they could easily sell 250-300 drinks. That would conservatively equal about 1300 pounds or $1900, of which at least 80% is profit (beers are 5 pounds, drinks 5.60). It is hard to see penny-pinching Ryanair forgoing that revenue.

Lastly, I can’t speak to how much Brits, Scots and Irish drink but as an American who has spent a good deal of time in Europe it always frustrates me that any poorly behaving English language speaker is assumed to be an American. I can’t tell you the number of times I heard Dutch or German people making comments about boorish Americans when the drunkard was clearly from Ireland or Scotland.

Andy33

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:17 pm

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 19):
You are not allowed to open duty free before arriving into the country you are traveling to and because of the no liquids rule through security, it shouldn't be happening.

While that's quite correct, if the alcohol was bought at PIK by a passenger travelling to Ibiza it wouldn't be duty free, as duty free sales to people travelling wholly within the EU were stopped years ago. People still call it duty free but it is actually tax free which is quite a difference, and nowhere near as cheap as true duty free.
Of course you could bring something like 70cl of spirits through security in the liquids bag as long as they were in 100ml or less containers. Theoretically you could take a litre but physically fitting the containers into the bag would be a challenge.

luv2fly

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:19 pm

If the problem is people drinking there duty free purchases then yes this is the solution. Don't ban sales of alcohol when that isn't causing the problem. Does FR offer duty free alcohol to buy on board?
You can cut the irony with a knife

bobdino

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:26 pm

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 19):

The "duty free" is post-security, and since the flight is intra-EU it's not actually duty free and therefore there's no one checking seals at the other end.

Andy33

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:26 pm

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 22):
Does FR offer duty free alcohol to buy on board?

No airline offers duty free alcohol for sale on flights that are wholly between EU airports. FR does sell alcohol on board on a per-drink basis at prices that are notably higher than in landside bars. Of course the crew can then refuse to sell more if the passenger is becoming a problem.

luv2fly

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:34 pm

What about tax free sales?
You can cut the irony with a knife

bobdino

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:38 pm

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 25):
What about tax free sales?

The EU is a single market, so flying between Scotland and Spain is similar to flying between Wisconsin and Florida. No duty or tax free sales, though you can generally purchase alcohol and other typical duty-free goods post-security. You just have to pay the taxes  

PW100

Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:05 pm

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 9):
Quoting frostyj (Reply 5):Ban alcohol on ALL flights.

Why?

Why not??

OK I'll bite and go first.

Stuffing 200 people in the confined space of a small city bus (737/320 series), for hours and hours, with low air humidity, cramped seating, and 8000 ft pressure altitude, crying babies, smelling neighbors, unsocialized behavior, and no police force on board. To put it mildly, that's not your ideal atmosphere to enjoy alcohol.

That, combined with the fact that you have 200 different individuals on board, who all react differently and unpredictable to alcohol (and to other people closely around them infringing in their unnatural habitat), for me that's plenty enough reasons not to serve alcohol on board.

[Edited 2015-04-08 07:11:40]
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

PlymSpotter

Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:17 pm

Quoting PW100 (Reply 27):
Stuffing 200 people in the confined space of a small city buss, for hours and hours, with low air humidity, cramped seating, and 8000 ft pressure altitude, crying babies, smelling neighbors, unsocialized behavior, and no police force on board. To put it mildly, that's not your ideal atmosphere to enjoy alcohol.

I disagree - most of your points are subjective and highly, highly variable. Turn it around (comfortable seat, quiet cabin, everybody being sociable, beautiful view from the window) and it begins to look like a pretty good place to de-stress and have a glass of your favourite beer or wine etc... Now 99.99% of people can manage this without succumbing to excess, and the answer for controlling those one in a thousand people is certainly not banning all alcohol onboard.

Regardless, I think the main point to remember here is that we're all talking about Ryanair again... Ahh the publicity.

Dan  

GT4EZY

Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:51 pm

Well done to Ryanair......and I'm not one of their fans I might add.

The consumption of passengers own alcohol is a growing problem and one that should be addressed IMO. The sale from the bars on board, generally speaking, is not a problem and "most" crew are generally responsible.

It is however very difficult for crew to call and to keep everyone happy. There are certain flights to certain destinations at certain times of the week that can be described as lively. I sometimes operate these flights and personally I don't see any issue. Yes they can be fairly loud, and there is banter between friends and groups. The problem is that there are some passengers who find this unacceptable, often they will remain quiet all flight but then suddenly become quite vocal with the crew as they disembark. In my personal opinion, there are certain flights at certain times of the week where the flight isn't going to be quiet and serene and that there is little the crew or airline can do.

But then you do get some flights, notably many of your IBZ and increasingly PMI, where you do get unruly and obnoxious behaviour and in my experience this is dealt with pretty well by the crews involved. This policy of Ryanair's will only help these crews further and should be used on certain routes/frequencies where a problem persists. I think it's very responsible.

Should we ban alcohol? No, should we hell. Most people enjoy drinks onboard responsibly. I should also add that many OAP's I see on flights can put a fair bit of drink away these days too.

I also don't see the problem with early morning drinking either. For the vast majority it merely marks the start of their holiday/break away and isn't a regular occurrence. The thought process of not drinking before 11am is also archaic and snobby at best. Each to their own, as long as they behave.....and most do.
Proud to fly from Manchester!

IADCA

Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 7):

I've heard that it's NCL, then GLA, but your sources are probably better than mine. Either way, it's again a cultural thing - the North East has a similar reputation to Glasgow in that regard.

Planeflyer

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:01 pm

If you have not sat near someone who is way too drunk I think it is difficult to understand the issue. Not an enjoyable flight.

frostyj

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:04 pm

Quoting bobdino (Reply 26):

No its not. Scotland and Spain are both completely different countries.

jetblue1965

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:09 pm

Quoting frostyj (Reply 32):

Scotland tried to be their own country, but the recent secession referendum was a major flop. Funny that GLA and EDI were exact opposites in the election results.

frostyj

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Quoting PW100 (Reply 27):

THIS and I am sure that these people can cope without alcohol for a few hours NOT. It is just part of the culture of this country, people always feel as though they NEED a drink and they use any opportunity to do so.

I have reached the grand old age of 19, tried alcohol and don't intend on drinking anymore NOT worth it.

[Edited 2015-04-08 08:11:33]

frostyj

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 33):

Don't even think about going there.

frostyj

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:13 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 28):

So wait you can't destress without alcohol? Um ok???? I'm a bit offended because you are trying to insinuate that those of us who don't drink are debbie downers and can't destress.

You don't actually need alcohol to destress, again you are a typical Brit who has a pathetic reliance on alcohol and insists that you need to have alcohol at every opportunity that arises.

[Edited 2015-04-08 08:14:51]

EIDL

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:24 pm

In a single market, which was his point.

TC957

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:27 pm

I know VS always make the announcement during the safety briefing that " only alcohol served by the crew maybe consumed on board "
I would have thought this to be standard policy with everyone.
Still, it's another Ryanair story in the news and that's what really matters here with them.

PlymSpotter

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:36 pm

The relevant part to note was 'EU Single Market'.

Quoting Planeflyer (Reply 31):
If you have not sat near someone who is way too drunk I think it is difficult to understand the issue. Not an enjoyable flight.

I have, twice. One was an airBaltic flight where a Russian chap had smuggled his own Vodka onboard and passed out whilst landing... fuss for the crew both who had to administer oxygen, but until he passed out nobody even noticed him. The other was a WizzAir flight where the crew kept serving a passenger who was clearly drunk and becoming increasingly racially abusive. Upon landing he fled to the terminal and the crew did nothing. This is the one in a thousand person who should never have been allowed to reach this state as the crew were mostly responsible.

Quoting frostyj (Reply 34):
THIS and I am sure that these people can cope without alcohol for a few hours NOT. It is just part of the culture of this country, people always feel as though they NEED a drink and they use any opportunity to do so.

Consider that the vast majority of people who drink do not 'need' to, they choose to. Vital difference.

Quoting frostyj (Reply 36):
So wait you can't destress without alcohol? Um ok???? I'm a bit offended because you are trying to insinuate that those of us who don't drink are debbie downers and can't destress.

That is a spectacularly flamboyant interpretation of what I said:

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 28):
Turn it around (comfortable seat, quiet cabin, everybody being sociable, beautiful view from the window) and it begins to look like a pretty good place to de-stress and have a glass of your favourite beer or wine etc...

Note the 'and', this means the relaxing and the drinking are not interdependent.

You don't actually need alcohol to destress, again you are a typical Brit who has a pathetic reliance on alcohol and insists that you need to have alcohol at every opportunity that arises.

Just wow... wow... If I wasn't laughing so much at that utterly ridiculous statement I might even be a bit offended!

Dan  

frostyj

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:47 pm

Quoting EIDL (Reply 37):

Still foreign countries.

frostyj

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:48 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 39):

Oh but theres where you are wrong, they DO need to drink! If they didn't need to drink they wouldn't be down in the bar ever god damn weekend.

BA777

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:49 pm

Quoting EC99 (Reply 20):
Any flight crew here can correct me but I imagine on a full holiday flight to Ibiza, which would take about three hours, they could easily sell 250-300 drinks. That would conservatively equal about 1300 pounds or $1900, of which at least 80% is profit (beers are 5 pounds, drinks 5.60). It is hard to see penny-pinching Ryanair forgoing that revenue.

While your figures sound correct, Ryanair's primary objective is to conduct its flights safely and if this threat to the operation is deemed too high a risk, safety must come first.

coolian2

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:56 pm

I'm a bit offended because you are trying to insinuate that those of us who don't drink are debbie downers and can't destress

If I'm honest you're not disproving this right now.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

PlymSpotter

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:56 pm

Quoting frostyj (Reply 41):
Oh but theres where you are wrong, they DO need to drink! If they didn't need to drink they wouldn't be down in the bar ever god damn weekend.

Spectacular missing of the point there...

BlueShamu330s

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:16 pm

I quite agree with frosty.

Drinking leads to neglect of duty, moral degradation and crime.

I'm thinking of forming the a.net Temperance Society.

First round's on me. Who's in..?  
Flying around India

PlymSpotter

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:22 pm

Quoting BlueShamu330s (Reply 45):
First round's on me.

Mine's a latte!

Cadet57

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:23 pm

You need to take a step back and chill. Anytime someone disagrees with you (especially when you're wrong) you fly off the handle and attack the person. Maybe take a second, and post a reply like a rational human being. You may actually get somewhere.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

SCQ83
Topic Author

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:28 pm

Quoting GT4EZY (Reply 29):
But then you do get some flights, notably many of your IBZ and increasingly PMI, where you do get unruly and obnoxious behaviour and in my experience this is dealt with pretty well by the crews involved. This policy of Ryanair's will only help these crews further and should be used on certain routes/frequencies where a problem persists. I think it's very responsible.

Magaluf in PMI is well-known indeed for the "balconing" practiced by some of those British visitors

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...ning-over-hotel-balcony-falls.html

frostyj

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:29 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 48):

Thank god I can pretend to be Irish when appropriate!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos