Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aacun
Topic Author

AA Redisigned Uniform!

Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:02 pm

We were just shown renderings of an updated new uniform. After getting bombarded with negative comments about the mainly grey uniform we were going to get, they have actually added a splash of red white and blue to several pieces. I have to see it live before I can decide if I like it better.... I just cant wait to get ouf of this blue!!!!

ckfred

RE: AA Redisigned Uniform!

Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:42 pm

Are the pilots still getting double-breasted coats as part of their uniforms? A friend of mine is an AA pilot, and he as said for years double-breasted coats simply made no sense for pilots.

By the same token, the shade of blue that AA pilots wore stood out from the current DL and UA uniforms. Now, they appear to be almost the same color. The main difference will be the silver trim on the AA uniforms, while UA and DL (also with a double-breasted coat) have gold trim.

Are they doing about with the bomber jackets for pilots?

chepos

Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:12 pm

As a sidenote two new items will be introduced shortly (prior to uniform rollout) for use by both LUS and LAA. A blue tie for men and a blue scarf for women. I like the shade of blue used, it's nice.
Fly the Flag!!!!

cosyr

Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Does anyone have any artwork?

dcaord

Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:04 pm

This post is a little bit useless without any visuals....

catiii

Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:30 pm

Quoting Cipango (Reply 1):
While reading this all I could think of was this thread:

Do Airlines Monitor A.net? (by ridgid727 Jul 17 2013 in Site Related)

Why? It's been widely reported that the "new" uniforms aren't well received and they would be redesigned: http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...e-dont-like-the-new-uniforms.html/

BravoOne

Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:57 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 2):

Yea lets make them look really dumb. Argh!

catiii

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:01 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 2):
A friend of mine is an AA pilot, and he as said for years double-breasted coats simply made no sense for pilots.

They look good on, and work for, the Delta pilots.

Quoting BravoOne (Reply 7):
Yea lets make them look really dumb. Argh!
APA, on behalf of the pilots, requested a bomber jacket.

[Edited 2015-04-09 14:02:26]

afcjets

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:02 pm

I can see why the employees dislike the new uniforms. They are very drab and depressing and unless you have a great tan, are going to make you look washed out. They do however match the extremely drab new first class cabin on the A321T, and new business class on the 767. It is a bit ironic considering the new tail. Perhaps they should have reserved a tiny bit of that color explosion on the tail for the premium cabins.

GSPSPOT

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:05 pm

Quoting afcjets (Reply 9):
Perhaps they should have reserved a tiny bit of that color explosion on the tail for the premium cabins.

I so agree! Modern cabins are so dreary. Not even an airline's logo on bulkheads any more!
Great Lakes, great life.

BravoOne

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:49 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 8):

So what? If left to average pilot he would be happy in flip flops and cargo shorts with shirts optional!

afcjets

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:03 pm

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 10):
I so agree! Modern cabins are so dreary. Not even an airline's logo on bulkheads any more!

Actually Delta has started to put their name and logo on the cabin divider just above the last row of first class on certain aircraft, and it looks great!

I miss the design patterns on Pan Am bulkheads the most, I thought they always looked really cool.

[Edited 2015-04-09 15:05:29]

Byrdluvs747

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:06 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 8):
APA, on behalf of the pilots, requested a bomber jacket.

I hope that's denied. The leather jackets do not look professional.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

flyDTW1992

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:13 pm

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 13):

I completely disagree, I think they look professional and classic. Better than them wearing a North Face jacket or something they picked up at the mall for a winter/fall walk around.
Now you're flying smart

Cipango

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:20 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 6):
Why? It's been widely reported that the "new" uniforms aren't well received and they would be redesigned:

It was the OP's wording:

Quoting aacun (Thread starter):
We were just shown renderings

It just seemed like a "leak" from an inside source and it reminded me of that thread.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

afcjets

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:29 pm

Quoting flyDTW1992 (Reply 14):
I think they look professional and classic.

I also like that it reminds me of the military and historically that is where many pilots used to come from. I think passengers always have extra peace of mind when they learn the pilot of their flight used to fly military fighter jets during difficult combat missions.

BravoOne

Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:22 pm

Quoting afcjets (Reply 16):
I also like that it reminds me of the military and historically that is where many pilots used to come from. I think passengers always have extra peace of mind when they learn the pilot of their flight used to fly military fighter jets during difficult combat missions.

Ah shucks now you have opened a whole new can of worms 

catiii

Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:13 am

Quoting Cipango (Reply 15):

Unless the renderings were posted on the site in violation of a company policy, it's not an issue. Again, it's widely known they're redesigning the uniform.

Byrdluvs747

Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:29 am

I completely disagree, I think they look professional and classic.

Sure professional for a biplane or crop duster pilot, but not for a global airline pilot. I understand the military nostalgia, but if its a military look everyone desires then why not style it after the US Navy or Air Force?

Better than them wearing a North Face jacket or something they picked up at the mall for a winter/fall walk around.

Isn't the overcoat still part of the uniform? That's something I have yet to see in any of the new uniform images so far.

[Edited 2015-04-09 17:35:26]
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

JetBuddy

Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:01 am

I completely disagree, I think they look professional and classic. Better than them wearing a North Face jacket or something they picked up at the mall for a winter/fall walk around.

I agree. The bomber jackets are really awesome. They have a historic connection with aviation, and they're very functional.

But the new uniforms look really crappy. I can't believe some people liked them and said they had a "European cut". They're as far away from that as you can get. They're gray potato sacks. Very sad. I'm glad that they'll be revised, even if it's just adding a bit of color.

smi0006

Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:03 am

I think we should all wait for an official release, the first version was a leak and I doubt was final design. Colour seems a natural element to add. But I like the design, except untucked woman's blouse, looks sloppy and will be unflattering to larger ladies.

As for pilots jacket, I understand union concerns about material quality - designs however, from a fashion perspective???? If I was AA management Id laugh and show them the door, as a pilot id be livid my union fees were being spent on a discussion about single or double breasted jackets. Too much dialogue on ridiculous topics! AA and pilots shouldn't even entertain the discussion.

thegoldenargosy

Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:10 am

The new uniform looks like the current US uniform without the zipper fetish

GlobalMoose

Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:25 am

The entire airline industry based their uniforms off of the military.

Pan-Am, when they operated flying boats, modeled their uniforms off of Naval Officers to help give credibility to the new form of transportation - the rest is history!

Furthermore, DL's uniforms aren't too far off from the current uniform of US Naval Officers. I don't see why airline pilots shouldn't be allowed to wear leather jackets if they so choose. Yes, some of the uniform leather jackets do not look professional, but that has to do with the styling of the coat chosen by the airline themselves. Look at some of the AF and USN leather jackets at popsleather.com - that is were many of the AF mobility pilots pick theirs up and they look exceptional!
When it absolutely positively has to be there ... at some point.

VCEflyboy

Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:42 am

Can't AA ask Ralph Lauren to design them? They did a great job with the Olympic USA uniforms.
they are classy and with an American feel.

maxpower1954

Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:50 am

Both AA and US have authorized the leather B2 type jackets for many years. I personally chose not to wear one; I like the traditional four striper coat instead of looking like I'm about to fly off and bomb Berlin. BTW, many of the guys who wear them aren't military trained.

The double-breasted coat is far from being official. I rather like the retro look, rather like an AA DC-7 captain from 1955!

Russ Farris

BravoOne

Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:06 am

Well how about if we allow squadron patches on this jacket. Sort of like the early BOAC Captains that wore their service ribbons form WWll?

Don't like the leather jacket Harley rider look, but what ever makes you feel good about yourself is okay by me.

futureualpilot

Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:18 am

Regarding the leather jacket, for most pilots it is not about looks but practicality. While an overcoat can keep me warm on a walk around or the inevitable wait for the hotel van, it is far easier to put on the leather coat and be warm and water resistant while carrying one additional piece rather than a blazer and overcoat. This makes a difference for commuters especially.

That said, the connection to our roots as aviators is there as well. My grandfather wore a leader coat when flying missions during WWII albeit for different reasons than I might wear one. Appearance wise I prefer the blazer look but as a commuter it gets tough to keep it looking presentable, throw in an overcoat during winter months and trying to find storage space makes it not worth the hassle. An added bonus to the leather us that on an overnight I can remove the airline related flair and use it to stay warm should I venture out into the tundra and not take up bag space with an additional jacket.
Life is better when you surf.

AAR90

Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:25 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 1):

Are the pilots still getting double-breasted coats as part of their uniforms?
Quoting ckfred (Reply 1):
Quoting cosyr (Reply 3):
Does anyone have any artwork?
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

laca773

Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:13 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 5):
Why? It's been widely reported that the "new" uniforms aren't well received and they would be redesigned:

Really? I know they were only be issued on a trial basis. This was a smart move so they wouldn't spend a lot of money if they proved to not work or well received.
I find them to be rather stark, and dull.
If you're going to use darker shades of gray as the primary color, a blue red, navy, dark blue, will help the uniforms look more appealing and attractive. Those who need to wear, must feel good in them , which helps the motivate and shows the ground service and air crews, have a sense of pride.

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 23):
Can't AA ask Ralph Lauren to design them? They did a great job with the Olympic USA uniforms.
they are classy and with an American feel.

Agreed. I believe AA did hire someone to come in, and design a new concept for all service levels. At least it wasn't that nasty Cintas. Ralph Lauren would be a good company to have come in and do them new crew uniforms, as would Tommy Hilfiger, Brooks Brothers, Calvin Klein, and etc.

cosyr

Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:51 pm

Quoting AAR90 (Reply 27):

Those are the more colorful ones?! People gave UA a lot of flack for not being as bold as DL, but AA is testing the limits of how many shades of grey they can put on their airline. How bleak.

N1120A

Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:13 pm

I forgot this part - I like the new CSR uniform with the 3 piece suit. It just needs to have some color added to it. Reds and blues.

Quoting afcjets (Reply 8):
It is a bit ironic considering the new tail. Perhaps they should have reserved a tiny bit of that color explosion on the tail for the premium cabins.

Totally.

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 12):

Totally disagree

Quoting flyDTW1992 (Reply 13):

Exactly.

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 18):
Isn't the overcoat still part of the uniform?

How practical is that when you are sliding around on snow and ice during a walk around?

Quoting laca773 (Reply 28):
Ralph Lauren would be a good company to have come in and do them new crew uniforms

Well, he did the current and now ancient AA uniforms.

[Edited 2015-04-10 15:15:10]
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

questions

Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:28 pm

I hope there is not a dowdy, boxy housecoat option for the female FA's!

afcjets

Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:47 pm

Does anyone remember those fuzzy red coats NW FAs wore in the 1990s? The first time my friend saw a FA wearing it it happened to be December and he said something like "I like your Christmas coat" and she was not very happy. He was not trying to be obnoxious, he really had no clue. Perhaps that wasn't the first time she had to explain to someone they weren't just for Christmas.

[Edited 2015-04-10 15:51:16]