pipeafcr
Topic Author

Turkish To Start Non-stop BOG Service

Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:52 pm

Turkish Airlines is set to start BOG service from September 12, 2015 with B773 aircraft. The tickets are to appear on the GDS on the 12th of this month.

The news was first released last week by OPAIN, Bogotá's airport authorities, and since many other webpages and local forums have talked about the imminent arrival of the airline to Colombia. Since 2012, Turkish has been pronouncing it's entry into the Colombian civil aviation but it now seems to be a reality. Let's see what the GDS shows this April 12
Felipe Carrillo

TK787

RE: Turkish To Start Non-stop BOG Service

Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:04 pm

I haven't heard this anywhere. Usually TK makes some kind of an announcement to the Turkish Stock Exchange.

Miami

Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:48 pm

From this article (in Spanish)

Quote:
Turkish Airlines already has a date of arrival in Colombia for September 12, the inaugural flight will use a 777. If the route is approved, as it is believed to occur without any problems. Tickets will be sold from April 12, announced on Tourism time portal.

"We are ready to make an announcement about Turkish Airlines, the airline of Turkey is one of the largest in the world and we are tuning to officially inform the date start operating in Colombia," Ortega said. The REPORTUR.co Opain manager.
http://www.reportur.com/colombia/201...ombia-el-12-de-septiembre-proximo/
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

lesfalls

Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:51 pm

Congrats to TK  . I hope they are succeusful with the route.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

jetblue1965

Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:57 pm

The Transatlantic network on Star from BOG is really solidifying : LHR FRA LIS MAD BCN and now IST.

behramjee

Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:01 pm

what kind of traffic are they hoping to attract with this service as Colombia-Asia market segment has barely any demand worth chasing after unless of course they operate IST-BOG via Western Europe which is also unlikely !

PDPsol

Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:24 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 5):
what kind of traffic are they hoping to attract with this service as Colombia-Asia market segment has barely any demand worth chasing after unless of course they operate IST-BOG via Western Europe which is also unlikely !

Business traffic between BOG and Asia, as well as the Middle East. Commercial ties between Colombia and Asia are growing very, very quickly. Colombia is second-largest nation in South America by population (48 million, exceeding Argentina's 43 million), and is growing quickly. Colombia's economy is expected to surpass Argentina's over the coming years, as key industries develop. Colombia 2014 nominal GDP totalled USD 430 billion, compared to Argentina's USD 530 billion nominal activity last year.

Most importantly, Colombia has achieved a degree of institutional political and economic stability, confirmed by its investment-grade sovereign credit rating, found in few South American nations, most with much smaller economies such as Chile and Uruguay.

TK has likely performed extensive market due-diligence, as BOG is not served by other carriers from the Middle East or Asia. It is clearly seeking a "first-mover" advantage.

TK already serves the region's largest market, GRU, along with the ME3 and CA.

pipeafcr
Topic Author

Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:34 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 5):

Basically the same traffic they get from GRU and EZE, plus with the benefit that both BOG and IST are airports that can serve to connect to many other airports in the region.
Felipe Carrillo

United787

Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:38 pm

Congrats to BOG and TK (and to IST)!

If BOG-IST can work, certainly BOG-ORD can work too...any day now!

With BOG's high elevation and IST's long distance, with the 777 have any payload restrictions?

DolphinAir747

Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:54 pm

Great! Is BOG CDG next? When I flew MAD ORY on IB half of the pax were coming from BOG.

HB-IWC

Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:55 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 8):
With BOG's high elevation and IST's long distance, with the 777 have any payload restrictions?

A nonstop return portion BOG-IST is out of the question. BOG will have to be combined with something else. CCS would make the most sense but given the situation there, TK may also opt for PTY or even a second Colombian destination.

pipeafcr
Topic Author

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:02 pm

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 9):
Great! Is BOG CDG next? When I flew MAD ORY on IB half of the pax were coming from BOG.

Air France has been flying to BOG for over 62 years now, they have a daily flight between CDG and BOG with A343 aircraft

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 10):
A nonstop return portion BOG-IST is out of the question. BOG will have to be combined with something else. CCS would make the most sense but given the situation there, TK may also opt for PTY or even a second Colombian destination.

I'm not sure that there will be a stop, we have to wait what the GDS shows. Though BAQ and PTY would be the better options incase there is to be a stop
Felipe Carrillo

HB-IWC

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:09 pm

Quoting pipeafcr (Reply 11):
I'm not sure that there will be a stop, we have to wait what the GDS shows.

If KLM can't make it back nonstop to AMS then there is no hope for TK making it back nonstop to IST, a distance that is another 20 percent greater.

AF022

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:13 pm

does AV have any sort of hub that TK can tap into to get access to more than the BOG market?

airbazar

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:13 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 10):
A nonstop return portion BOG-IST is out of the question.

Not with the 77W that's for sure.
The only aircraft in TK's fleet that may do it is the A340.

Summa767

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:28 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 2):
From this article (in Spanish)

This article says that "if the route is approved, which is believed to occur without any problems" . Indeed, it should be approved if only TK had applied! They were supposed to register an application to be discussed at Colombia's Aerocivil at last public audience on 19th March, but they did not do so. The next is not for a couple of months. Still, they could programme the route and do the paperwork later.

Quoting pipeafcr (Reply 7):
Basically the same traffic they get from GRU and EZE, plus with the benefit that both BOG and IST are airports that can serve to connect to many other airports in the region.

The GRU and EZE are a combined flight. But I think that to compare BOG with these might be a stretch too far, even if the Colombian economy is growing at good pace.
However, I could have seen a IST- CCS-BOG flight working, mainly because of Venezuela's traffic potential, except that the difficulties there are severe and hindering.
Non-top to BOG. Well, let's see how it goes. I wonder if TK have done their homework on the restrictions departing BOG for such a long flight. They have to take into account reduced MTOW from BOG, bit also climb needs, obstacles in the case of engine loss. Yes, AV does it to LHR and BCN on their A330s, but with no cargo. AF considered a 777, and prefer to stick to an A340. KLM chose to do a CLO stop. IST is a lot further than these destinations and plan to do it non-stop?! Mm

A388

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:35 pm

Quoting pipeafcr (Reply 11):
Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 10):A nonstop return portion BOG-IST is out of the question. BOG will have to be combined with something else. CCS would make the most sense but given the situation there, TK may also opt for PTY or even a second Colombian destination.
I'm not sure that there will be a stop, we have to wait what the GDS shows. Though BAQ and PTY would be the better options incase there is to be a stop

TK can do a fuel stop in CUR on the way back to IST. After all, we are already a known fuel stop destination for cargo flights so why not passenger flights too. TK, just contact us...  

A388

jetblue1965

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 16):

TK can do a fuel stop in CUR on the way back to IST. After all, we are already a known fuel stop destination for cargo flights so why not passenger flights too. TK, just contact us...

=) If payload going back is a real concern, they can do a triangle like IST-BOG-PTY-IST ... solving the altitude issue of BOG while serving another destination.

In any case, BOG-IST is only 6680mi, roughly 1700mi shorter than the longest 77W flights. I think that gap can allow eastbound BOG-IST to be flown with full pax (just penalize some cargo)

A388

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:58 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 17):
In any case, BOG-IST is only 6680mi, roughly 1700mi shorter than the longest 77W flights. I think that gap can allow eastbound BOG-IST to be flown with full pax (just penalize some cargo)

The problem with BOG is the airport's altitude, not just being shorter than the longest 77W route flown. They can combine BOG with PTY but what if demand just doesn't warrant a flight to PTY? By just refuelling you don't add all the extra handling costs for the passenger handling, you only refuel and continue the flight.

A388

incitatus

Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:02 pm

Quoting PDPsol (Reply 6):
Business traffic between BOG and Asia, as well as the Middle East. Commercial ties between Colombia and Asia are growing very, very quickly.

As for Asia, maybe SE Asia, but Japan and Korea are much closer through the US.

In fact, IST is not too far off to be a connecting point to some of Europe. TK should sells lots of tickets to Germany, Switzerland and Italy.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

airbazar

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:07 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 17):
In any case, BOG-IST is only 6680mi, roughly 1700mi shorter than the longest 77W flights.

But BOG is at 8,300ft and it only has a 12,000 runway. Significanty higher than MEX, JNB, or ADD. No chance a 77W can fly from BOG to IST, non-stop with any meaningful load. By comparison ADD has a 15,000ft runway and JNB is 14,000.

Istanbuler83

Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:29 am

As far as I know the flight is gonna be via HAV.

[Edited 2015-04-10 02:31:27]

[Edited 2015-04-10 02:32:00]
Istanbuler83

Summa767

Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:43 am

Quoting Istanbuler83 (Reply 22):
As far as I know the flight is gonna be via HAV.

But I thought that there was going to be a separate flight: IST-HAV-MEX.
(IST-HAV-BOG is also 13% longer than the non-stop or CCS option)

The talk was of IST-CCS-BOG, but whether TK still plans on CCS seeing how messy venezuela is. Other airlines are actually pulling out of CCS as despite its traffic potential: Alitalia is the latest, which has also said that they would serve BOG instead (maybe later this year, and presumibly also with a stop: CLO, CTG or PTY)

[Edited 2015-04-10 02:49:33]

Yakamoz

Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:51 am

Wasn't it announced as Bogota-Caracas-Istanbul first?

The Mexico City routing will be via Havana i read when it was announced last year.

Marambio

Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:29 am

Nice to see more TK in South America, but do we have any official announcements yet?

I can't see BOG going nonstop - first because of its elevation above sea level, and second if GRU and EZE need to be put together in order to support a flight to IST, I can't see BOG doing it alone. Bogota's GDP is roughly 15% of Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo's combined.

Of course CCS would be the obvious stop-over, but I doubt anybody (not even TK) wants to fly to Venezuela these days. PTY has the advantage of CM being a Star partner. However, let's be more imaginative - a BOG-IST would necessarily fly over Spain. Could we see a TK flight BOG-MAD/BCN-IST?
Aerolíneas Argentinas - La Argentina que levanta vuelo

mfc

Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:52 am

Quoting Marambio (Reply 25):
Could we see a TK flight BOG-MAD/BCN-IST?

They would need 5th freedom rights and I don't think that neither Spain or Colombia would grant those.

Both IB and AV fly between Colombia and Spain, with a wide range of routes: MAD-BOG (IB and AV), MAD-CLO (AV), MAD-MDE (AV), MAD-CLO-MDE (IB from June) and BCN-BOG (AV). Air Europa has also stated its interest in opening a new route to BOG. The market is well served and TK has nothing new to offer.

And apart from that, who would prefer to fly DXB-IST-MAD-BOG instead of DXB-FRA-BOG? The stop in Spain would make the route less attractive for connecting passengers from Asia and the Middle East.
So, we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past

OlympicATH

Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:52 am

Quoting PDPsol (Reply 6):
Colombia is second-largest nation in South America by population (48 million, exceeding Argentina's 43 million)

Brazil?

jetblue1965

Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:08 pm

Quoting OlympicATH (Reply 27):

That's what PDP meant - Colombia is second to Brazil but ahead of Argentina

Yakamoz

Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:06 pm

Is something uploaded now in the GDS?

miaintl

Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:32 pm

Quoting Yakamoz (Reply 23):

The MEX route will be via MIA now.

LAXintl

Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:08 pm

Quoting Yakamoz (Reply 28):
s something uploaded now in the GDS?

Of course not.

Quoting miaintl (Reply 29):
The MEX route will be via MIA now.

I would refrain from posting random rumors as alleged factual statements.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Miami

Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:10 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 30):

And how would you know it's "random rumors"?

[Edited 2015-04-13 08:11:03]
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

mercure1

Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:26 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 31):
And how would you know it's "random rumors"?

If you have followed the Turkish threads the last many years, you would see that LAXIntl seems to know more about TK than TK does themselves.
I dont know who LAXIntl is, but maybe he sits at the desk next to TK CEO based on the information he has access to.

But from what I understand there needs to be some legal notifications and defined formal process before TK can launch routes. I dont believe there has been any such process of MIA whatsoever and for BOG/MEX they have only been listed as future destinations stage.
mercure f-wtcc

miaintl

Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:33 pm

You are right, but where did this MIA/MEX rumor get started from? There are top pilots in Mexico spreading these rumors.

Turkish777X

Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 32):
If you have followed the Turkish threads the last many years, you would see that LAXIntl seems to know more about TK than TK does themselves.

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 32):
I dont know who LAXIntl is, but maybe he sits at the desk next to TK CEO based on the information he has access to.

Or maybe he is the CEO !!!   

2travel2know2

Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:55 pm

I'd not underestimate CM and its hub draw to get BOG-IST flown via PTY.
It's not the best scenario as a one-stop service be from IST to PTY or to IST from BOG may push away some premium travellers but if TK can't take-off fully loaded for BOG-IST, stopping somewhere on the way to IST is a must.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos