JBAirwaysFan
Topic Author

B6 In Daytona Beach: Will It Work?

Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:40 pm

So I know I've been advocating for this service for years and years (and years), but now that it's actually happening I'm starting to worry. I see so much effort and money thrown into this new service by the DAB area, and I do think it could actually work, but will it?

Some points I think of:
1) Everyone knows the influence of MCO and JAX on that area of Florida. Granted traveling between DAB and NYC will be much easier, but will it be enough to cut some of that leakage to MCO and JAX off?

2) How do we know that JetBlue isn't going to take the money and run? I know that JetBlue doesn't have a huge track record of pulling out of destinations, but who knows? DAB is notorious for that.

Basically, now that it's happening do we have confidence that it will work? Oh, and do we have a timeline for a schedule and fare release?
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

MesaFlyGuy

RE: B6 In Daytona Beach: Will It Work?

Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:52 pm

I sure hope it works, as I'll be attending ERAU next year and will be travelling back and forth to NYC to see family. As of right now I usually fly into/out of JAX to get there, so I hope that I'll be able to drive five minutes to the airport instead of two hours for some time! 
Quoting JBAirwaysFan (Thread starter):
Basically, now that it's happening do we have confidence that it will work? Oh, and do we have a timeline for a schedule and fare release?

I have been cautiously optimistic about this route since the start. I was surprised when they announced it on an a320, but I think the lower CASM than the E190 will help the route a bit.

2) How do we know that JetBlue isn't going to take the money and run? I know that JetBlue doesn't have a huge track record of pulling out of destinations, but who knows? DAB is notorious for that.

Correct. JetBlue doesn't have a track record for pulling out of destinations, rather they have a track record of stimulating traffic after they start new routes. Look at the numbers for NYC-CHS for before and after B6 started flying there. (Check out this thread: B6 Getting The Job Done On BOS-CHS (by adamh8297 Nov 20 2013 in Civil Aviation)?threadid=5927028&searchid=5927192&s=CHS#ID5927192 ). The presence of MCO and JAX will be a challenge to overcome, but I take a little comfort in it when I look at how they've done in SRQ, with RSW and TPA right there.

The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

JBAirwaysFan
Topic Author

Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:10 pm

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 1):
The presence of MCO and JAX will be a challenge to overcome, but I take a little comfort in it when I look at how they've done in SRQ, with RSW and TPA right there.

This. This right here. This was my argument for DAB from the start. They made SRQ work with TPA and RSW within reasonable distance. DAB shouldn't be much different, especially since it will be a very similar operation to start.

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 1):
I have been cautiously optimistic about this route since the start. I was surprised when they announced it on an a320, but I think the lower CASM than the E190 will help the route a bit.

You kidding? I was floored when they announced the A320. Huge play from left field. I don't even think DAB was pushing for A320 service. I've seen a past proposal they wrote up for JetBlue and they were pushing for 2x E190 service. The A320 was a huge surprise. Then again I'm pretty confident that FL would have made the 717 work had it not been for DL adding their own flight. Which poses another question, Delta has been quite silent so far on this new service. It's not like them.

MesaFlyGuy

Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:31 pm

Quoting JBAirwaysFan (Reply 2):
Which poses another question, Delta has been quite silent so far on this new service. It's not like them.

Honestly, I'm still waiting for their response. I mean they haven't even reloaded the Sat-only LGA flights that they ran last year (maybe the year before--my memory is a bit fuzzy on that one). Maybe they don't think the market is big enough to warrant a response? I really haven't a clue.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

JBAirwaysFan
Topic Author

Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:44 am

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 3):
Honestly, I'm still waiting for their response. I mean they haven't even reloaded the Sat-only LGA flights that they ran last year (maybe the year before--my memory is a bit fuzzy on that one). Maybe they don't think the market is big enough to warrant a response? I really haven't a clue.

They ran the Saturday only flight two years in a row. Last year and the year before on the E170/E175. Either that or they learned their lesson from when AirTran did it. I kind of have the impression that JetBlue sneezes at Delta when it comes to NYC-Florida markets.

catiii

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:46 am

So if this was your view from the start, why the whole thread?

xdlx

Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:39 pm

B6 will do just fine. JAX is maxed out for B6, do not know bout MCO

tom11

Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:58 pm

B6 will do fine. Nobody likes driving an hour to MCO (JAX is 90 minutes, not even worth it!). I have no worries about B6 at DAB and will add some nice variety to the usually DL and AA colors that come in.

MesaFlyGuy

Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:26 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 5):

Maybe he wanted to get others' opinions on the matter.

spinkid

Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:53 pm

Quoting xdlx (Reply 6):
JAX is maxed out for B6, do not know bout MCO

What do you mean by Maxed out?

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:58 am

New York any airport is huge in winter to pretty much any airport in Florida. JetBlue clearly thinks they can make it work.

Continental Airlines provided daily nonstop service to Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) for approximately 18 years before being forced out of the market by the 2008 recession.

DeltaRules

Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:15 am

If I had a dog in the fight (and if B6 were to start CMH again, I would), I'd go into DAB seven days a week if given the choice between DAB (ridiculously easy to use), MCO (crowded), and JAX (longest drive).

Really, if I were wanting to fly B6 from anywhere in the Daytona/New Smyrna/Ormond area, maybe stretching as far south as Cocoa or southwest to the Sanford area, and had the choice between DAB and MCO, I'd pick Daytona.

Here's hoping B6 can get others to think that way.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

vatveng

Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:32 am

Delta has been quite silent so far on this new service. It's not like them.
Quoting JBAirwaysFan (Reply 4):
Either that or they learned their lesson from when AirTran did it. I kind of have the impression that JetBlue sneezes at Delta when it comes to NYC-Florida markets.

Well, JetBlue is not AirTran, and JFK is not Atlanta. You start service from anywhere to Atlanta, Delta is going to respond.

jetbluefan1

Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:22 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 5):

If you have nothing to contribute to this thread, then don't comment.

This is a commercial aviation forum where people share their thoughts and opinions. Either add something to the discussion, or be quiet. Thanks.

Basically, now that it's happening do we have confidence that it will work?

It will probably work with one daily flight. I bet it will be similar to SRQ, as mentioned above. It's a unique market, but there is significant leakage to MCO and JAX (just as SRQ has leakage to TPA). There is demand for virtually any market from NYC, and if any airline can make it work, it's B6.

georgiabill

Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:31 pm

Perhaps if JFK- DAB works for B6 they might consider adding a seasonal BOS- DAB with an E190.

enilria

Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:46 pm

It will work in March only.

rtalk25

Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:04 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 15):
It will work in March only.

Perhaps it should have offered it seasonally, like how many carriers cover PBI.

JetBlue seems to have a knack for NY airport-Florida airport route permutations though.

I wonder if B6 will add ECP as another Florida station. if Southwest can stimulate ECP traffic from BWI, JetBlue probably can from JFK.

spinkid

Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:08 pm

Quoting rtalk25 (Reply 16):
I wonder if B6 will add ECP as another Florida station. if Southwest can stimulate ECP traffic from BWI, JetBlue probably can from JFK.

People in the NY area don't really have the VFR or desire to visit the "Redneck Riviera" that the midwest has. Southwest can pull from that area, especially via connections.

People in the Northeast enjoy the east coast of Florida, in fact, its really only the past 15-20 years that the west coast of Florida has become popular with the NE.

rtalk25

Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:33 pm

Quoting spinkid (Reply 17):
Southwest can pull from that area, especially via connections.

I always figured the BWI-ECP flight from Southwest was more capturing flows from the Northeast (like BOS, BDL, etc.) and O&D from BWI. I know a few families that drove down to BWI from NJ to fly that BWI-ECP flight.

What I meant is the same for JetBlue, but from the the larger NYC metropolitan area where Florida beach demand is high, over the DC region where Southwest flight originates.

It might not be lowest hanging fruit, but if B6 wants to expand it's JFK-Florida or JFK-leisure market portfolio, I'd think it'd work.

JBAirwaysFan
Topic Author

Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:01 am

I appreciate everyone's input. As someone who has put many, many years of flying between NYC (Home) and DAB (family lives there) you get nervous when you finally have this "door to door" service that you've been waiting for since you were a kid. You see how it could work, but then you question.

I know why AirTran failed at LGA, and Continental probably would have kept EWR going if it weren't for the recession.

This is just new for Daytona. Low fare service isn't the norm, and jetBlue finally announced service only to wait on schedules. I can see it working, but I can also see it failing. I think the 1x Daily flight is probably the best for the market right now.

I guess now we will really test how many people (as in DAB locals and people actually visiting the DAB areas) will abandon Orlando for DAB.

[Edited 2015-04-12 17:02:34]

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:55 am

Continental operated this route for 18 years, I hardly consider this a "risky" route. Will it be worth flying past subsidies who knows but they are getting a lot of money to advertise this service so I think they have a good shot at pulling this off.

727LOVER

Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:22 am

So we hear your drone on for years and years about this service, so when they announced, I said...OK, now maybe this kid will shut up....guess not.  

I mean, you're fretting, not even seeing schedules or fares, or DL responses.

Quoting jetbluefan1 (Reply 13):
This is a commercial aviation forum where people share their thoughts and opinions. Either add something to the discussion, or be quiet. Thanks.

Well, I'm going to add mine, thank you.

how they've done in SRQ, with RSW and TPA right there.
This. This right here.

NO...NO...NOT that right there!!!!

I have counted at least 5 times where you have used the phrase "a SRQ-type operation"....5 times that I can count...who knows how many more. Why does SRQ always get dragged into the DAB argument?

What is that supposed to mean?
If anything, B6 seems to be struggling at SRQ. No 2nd JFK flight this winter, they tried SRQ-BOS year round and have pulled that to seasonal

Quoting JBAirwaysFan (Reply 19):
As someone who has put many, many years of flying between NYC (Home) and DAB (family lives there) you get nervous when you finally have this "door to door" service

As stated, CO flew BAB-EWR for many years, not to mention Eastern and Delta with LGA...and AirTran!!

You kidding? I was floored when they announced the A320.

Don't be shocked if that goes E-190 for most of the year.

I can see it working, but I can also see it failing. I think the 1x Daily flight is probably the best for the market right now.

I guess now we will really test how many people (as in DAB locals and people actually visiting the DAB areas) will abandon Orlando for DAB.

MCO $159 vs DAB $309, we'll see. Depends on car rental rates as well.

DL response when B6 added SRQ-JFK? Not a dang thing. Expecting the same?...not sure, that was before DL bulked up LGA with all the extra slots.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

jfklganyc

Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:38 pm

Quoting spinkid (Reply 17):

People in the NY area don't really have the VFR or desire to visit the "Redneck Riviera" that the midwest has. Southwest can pull from that area, especially via connections.

People in the Northeast enjoy the east coast of Florida, in fact, its really only the past 15-20 years that the west coast of Florida has become popular with the NE.

And yet, the #1 destination from DAB is New York.

That aside, B6 has done very well JFK-Southeast coast. RDU CLT CHS SAV JAX

Not a huge amount of flights. But the flight flown 2-3 RDU 2 CLT 2 CHS 2 SAV 2-3 JAX seem to do well in terms of loads (and from public statements about CHS and SAV) profitability.

I would argue that DAB fits this model more than a PBI FLL MCO "Florida" model.

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 21):

I have counted at least 5 times where you have used the phrase "a SRQ-type operation"....5 times that I can count...who knows how many more. Why does SRQ always get dragged into the DAB argument?

If anything, B6 seems to be struggling at SRQ. No 2nd JFK flight this winter, they tried SRQ-BOS year round and have pulled that to seasonal

They have LGA now. JFK BOS LGA. If the station was struggling, you would never see a non hub route like LGA.

FlyPNS1

Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:47 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 22):
I would argue that DAB fits this model more

Maybe, but DAB is the smallest of those markets by far. I would also argue that DAB is also the weakest economically compared to those other markets. Even SAV/CHS generate some business traffic, however DAB has miniscule amounts of business traffic and very little of that is tied to NYC. And DAB suffers from bleed to other markets while places like SAV/CHS are far enough away that they can stand alone.

tom11

Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:10 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 23):
Maybe, but DAB is the smallest of those markets by far. I would also argue that DAB is also the weakest economically compared to those other markets. Even SAV/CHS generate some business traffic, however DAB has miniscule amounts of business traffic and very little of that is tied to NYC. And DAB suffers from bleed to other markets while places like SAV/CHS are far enough away that they can stand alone.

But I can tell you that everyone here would prefer to use DAB over MCO or JAX if they could. If the price is right, B6 will have no issues.

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:11 pm

Not a huge amount of flights. But the flight flown 2-3 RDU 2 CLT 2 CHS 2 SAV 2-3 JAX seem to do well in terms of loads (and from public statements about CHS and SAV) profitability.

3 CHS   Well, 18 weekly anyway.

Glad to see you're in good spirits...

Why does it get dragged into the discussion? Because it's very applicable to this situation.

SRQ-TPA: 40 miles
SRQ-RSW: 77 miles

DAB-MCO: 54 miles
DAB-JAX: 98 miles

TPA is a decent operation for JetBlue and fairly close to SRQ, yet SRQ manages to support a daily flight to both LGA (nonhub as mentioned before) and JFK, plus seasonal BOS. Forget the second JFK flight, as we're only talking about one flight a day from DAB, making the extra capacity irrelevant. From SRQ JetBlue flies 300 seats a day (I can't speak to loads on the flights but LGA must do well or we would've seen it dropped in favor of a better use for the slot by now), while only 40 miles away from TPA and 77 miles away from RSW.

How is that not a valid comparison to DAB and MCO/JAX? Maybe I'm missing something?

MCO $159 vs DAB $309, we'll see. Depends on car rental rates as well.

Don't forget that JetBlue will most likely drop the avg fare out of DAB. They did that in CHS; JetBlue's low prices drove Delta to lower theirs to a more humane level, and now traffic has gone up (Delta now runs 2x 717s each day on JFK-CHS, whereas they had one daily CRJ-200 before JetBlue entered the market), and prices have gone down.

JBAirwaysFan
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:28 am

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 25):
Why does it get dragged into the discussion? Because it's very applicable to this situation.

SRQ-TPA: 40 miles
SRQ-RSW: 77 miles

DAB-MCO: 54 miles
DAB-JAX: 98 miles

TPA is a decent operation for JetBlue and fairly close to SRQ, yet SRQ manages to support a daily flight to both LGA (nonhub as mentioned before) and JFK, plus seasonal BOS. Forget the second JFK flight, as we're only talking about one flight a day from DAB, making the extra capacity irrelevant. From SRQ JetBlue flies 300 seats a day (I can't speak to loads on the flights but LGA must do well or we would've seen it dropped in favor of a better use for the slot by now), while only 40 miles away from TPA and 77 miles away from RSW.

How is that not a valid comparison to DAB and MCO/JAX? Maybe I'm missing something?

I'm agreeing with this. This is exactly why SRQ is always dragged in. It's a market sandwiched between two larger markets yet manages to sustain its service (AirTran aside). Not to mention they started SRQ with the same level of service they're starting DAB with.

Quoting tom11 (Reply 24):
But I can tell you that everyone here would prefer to use DAB over MCO or JAX if they could. If the price is right, B6 will have no issues.

Absolutely! I've picked layovers in ATL over flying into MCO or JAX. I'm pretty confident that even if there was a slight premium at DAB (say MCO was $200 and DAB was $240) people would still take the DAB flight because if you factor in extra gas and higher parking rates you probably come out ahead at DAB.

[Edited 2015-04-13 18:29:32]

rtalk25

Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:29 am

That aside, B6 has done very well JFK-Southeast coast. RDU CLT

Just to nitpick-I think RDU and CLT are different type of market and not fitting with Southeast coast mix , CHS SAV JAX DAB etc. I think RIC, RDU and CLT fall in Southeast business market mix. What would ORF classify as if ORF was added?

Hopefully ATL will be added in the Southeast too.

[Edited 2015-04-13 18:32:44]

jetbluefan1

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:52 am

Quoting JBAirwaysFan (Reply 26):
Not to mention they started SRQ with the same level of service they're starting DAB with.

I think there are two key differences:

1. New Yorkers prefer the East Coast of Florida.
2. Sarasota has a larger condo/second home population than the Daytona Beach area.

It's probably a wash. And it's quite low risk for B6 to fly just one 320 a day - especially if it's subsidized (either directly or indirectly).

When B6 adds a leisure market to its network, it tends to stick, especially since B6 has a stimulative effect on such markets. It's not the best comparison, but B6 has stimulated demand to smaller markets in the Caribbean that the Legacies had neglected (BQN, PSE, CUR).

Quoting rtalk25 (Reply 27):
Just to nitpick-I think RDU and CLT are different type of market and not fitting with Southeast coast mix , CHS SAV JAX DAB etc. I think RIC, RDU and CLT fall in Southeast business market mix.

Agreed, although JFK-RIC was dropped a few years back. Somehow RDU and CLT managed to stick around despite having copious amounts of capacity out of LGA.

Quoting rtalk25 (Reply 27):
Hopefully ATL will be added in the Southeast too.

I hope so too, but it likely won't happen from JFK.

jetwet1

Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:08 pm

This is just new for Daytona. Low fare service isn't the norm, and jetBlue finally announced service only to wait on schedules. I can see it working, but I can also see it failing. I think the 1x Daily flight is probably the best for the market right now.

I've never had an issue getting a decent fare to DAB, normally it's the same as MCO from LAS, the key difference is, DAB is so much nicer to use than MCO, in fact it's probably my favorite airport in the US with mainline service.

What everyone is missing here is Port Canaveral, the cruise lines are expanding there in a big way, Carnival is moving two big ships (The Victory and the Magic) there early next year, that will result in thousands of new passengers, some will go through MCO, some through DAB.

Depends on car rental rates as well.

Again, the prices as MCO, but 2 minutes in line and walk out the door to the car against 20 minutes in line and the 5 mile walk to the garage....

BTW, Avis at DAB is fantastic, it puts a lot of the larger Avis operations to shame, great staff.

flyingcat

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:33 pm

I'm curious as to why they are starting this route, seems like and old school route they should have started 10 years ago and not the high yield routes they stte they are after. Robin Hayes may be giveing his planning department some leeway to start something they never could under the Barger. However like all things if this does not work out expect there to be more pushback against Florida expansion. Bottom line use it or lose it.

xpfg

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:43 pm

Quoting flyingcaT (Reply 30):
I'm curious as to why they are starting this route, seems like and old school route they should have started 10 years ago and not the high yield routes they stte they are after.

My understanding is it was somewhat of a gift to Barger on his retirement day. I don't remember the exact correlation, but the announcement even came to as surprise to city airport officials (even though they've been trying for it for years). B6 also plans to work with ERAU students job wise in some manner at the airport with this service (or so the story goes).

This aside, I think a lot of people here are unaware of the happenings in the DAB area as of the last year. Tourism rebounded considerably in 2014, and the NY market has a great history of success with regular service (Delta's silly 1x SAT service was hardly a test of good use). Aside from tourism, the Speedway project, local hotel projects (new Hard Rock, Westin, Hyatt Place, Marriott, and soon Hilton renovations), Trader Joes distribution facility, One Daytona mixed-use commercial project, and the now proposed (and likely happening) 80-100 store outlet mall are all good indicators of economic growth in this area. The kind of growth airlines like to see, especially in previously proven markets like NY.

More info on One Daytona here: http://www.onedaytona.com/

Hard Rock here: http://hrresidencesdb.com/

New outlet mall project here (5 page article): http://www.news-journalonline.com/ar.../NEWS/150419860/0/search?p=1&tc=pg

JBAirwaysFan
Topic Author

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:06 pm

Quoting xpfg (Reply 31):
Aside from tourism, the Speedway project, local hotel projects (new Hard Rock, Westin, Hyatt Place, Marriott, and soon Hilton renovations),

I'm very curious about this new Hard Rock in Daytona Beach. Isn't it opening next year? Good timing for B6 actually.

Looking forward to seeing the schedule announcement soon. I'm guessing it will be sometime this summer or whenever they open up their February schedules.

dc10lover

Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:40 am

JetBlue announces daily service to New York

http://www.flydaytonafirst.com/about...licPosting&calendar_entry_id=10405

I seriously believe this will be better than expected.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos