JayJ
Topic Author

Airline Liveries Best And Worst - Getting Basic?

Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:45 am

A huge part of being an commercial aviation enthusiast is getting to see not just so many different airlines, but also many varied liveries.

It is a bit of a worry that so many airlines seem to be (in my opinion) simplifying their liveries too much. It is interesting that many of the premium airlines have re-branded in the last two decades or so and though their onboard product may be for the better, their liveries are getting "Dull" if that's the right word.

Examples - China Eastern, Transaero, Virgin Australia, Air France, Malaysian ('new' colours) and many more.

Some of the more adventures schemes included - Qantas Wunala Dreaming plus others, the BA World Tails (though that changed due to ATC recognition requirements). I used to love seeing the many and varied BA World Tails come in and out.

Air India Express also had some great variation in their 737s, as well as Air Asia (and Air Asia X to a smaller degree) with their many different schemes. There has of course been the odd special by many different airlines too - such as SQ Tropical, LH Retro, TG Retro, NZ - LOTRs, Hobbits 1 and 2 + All Black.

Sometimes simple schemes can withstand the test of time too - Singapore Airlines livery is very simple yet stylish and in my opinion well suited to their aircraft and their brand. I also felt the old Etihad was stylish and simple as is the new livery too.

It is interesting the way that many LCCs seem to be adopting more varieties of advertising and colour schemes as opposed to the Full service carriers. Here Air Asia and Air Asia X come to mind.

I can understand that airlines are so focused on cost - fleet type/markets/operations and product that maybe liveries are not so important anymore - as say - position in the market? But then liveries in my view are still important because like a cover on book - it can make you want to explore it further - or in this case explore the airline further.

At the end of the day - people choose airlines based on product/network/service and maybe the airport experience or routing. Of course the livery doesn't come into that much - but it can add a small element of extra satisfaction for the traveller.

Thoughts?

[Edited 2015-04-13 02:48:27]

Bongodog1964

RE: Airline Liveries Best And Worst - Getting Basic?

Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:09 am

Quoting JayJ (Thread starter):
he BA World Tails (though that changed due to ATC recognition requirements)

I recall that it had nothing to do with ATC, and everything to do with being a rubbish idea. Airlines try to create a strong brand, painting your fleet in a wide array of styles/colours achieves the opposite effect.

I was at LHR yesterday, from the Southern perimeter road there were over 40 BA planes in sight, instantly recognisable from their Chatham Dockyard tail fins, in addition over 50% of the takeoffs were in the same livery. Under the World tails idea, the same view would have been of a set of terminals that looked to be the home of about 20 different airlines. BA want you to see that they dominate LHR and if you wish to fly from there, they are the logical choice. Its just the same for AF from CDG, LH from FRA, EK from DXB etc.

rta

Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:46 am

I agree with Bongodog1984, having a uniform livery makes the brand appear stronger and more easily noticeable. As much as I would like for it to happen, I think this is why DL doesn't have any retro liveries in service. I also think liveries are important to a certain extent, as many people (including my self) tend to judge a book by it's cover. Ugly livery? The airline is probably not that good. And while I could understand why many believe, that in general, liveries are becoming bland, I've generally found the new liveries to be refreshing. AA, AC, BA, DL and EY come to mind.

TheRedBaron

Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:00 pm

Aerolineas Argentinas new A330 in the new livery is quite good... but most liveries are lost in a sea of white.... a cheat line is now a rarity.. sadly.

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

chrisjake

Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:05 pm

Quoting TheRedBaron (Reply 3):
a cheat line is now a rarity.. sadly.

So true. Nowadays most airlines have adopted the "Billboard" style livery.....along with some curvy, splash-onto-the-fuselage type of tail design. The traditional cheat line, tail-only designs seem to be fading away.

Chris

JBo

Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:26 pm

The biggest reason airlines have moved to more simplified liveries is cost: More elaborate liveries are simply more labor-intensive and paint-intensive to apply. Airlines want liveries that are cheap to apply, plain and simple.

And the reason everything is white is because it doesn't fade and doesn't need to be replaced or repaired as often.

I also think the main reason airlines have moved away from basic cheatline liveries is because technology over the past 20 years has made it possible for us to design and apply liveries that have large, billboard titles and curved, wavy effects much more easily and consistently.

Instead of masking off and painting everything by hand, which was how it was done before, computer templates can be created to precisely fit a particular aircraft, be printed off to scale, and applied to the aircraft to act as a stencil.

White and wavy is trendy now, unfortunately.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

roseflyer

Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:26 pm

Cost is king in the aviation world. Airbus and Boeing paint a 3 color paint scheme for free on a new airplane. If an airline wants a 4th color or any graphics applied, they have to pay extra. White is the lightest color and weight is crucial to fuel burn. For these reasons almost every airplane is solid white with 2 other colors on the tail in addition to white.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Polot

Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Yes, most current liveries are "basic", but so were most old liveries as well.

A cheatline is not some advance, cutting edge design/brand tool that takes a lot of thought to pull off well. It is just literally a line of color. The only reason airlines first did it was to make the planes appear longer/larger (hence the name ''cheat''line).

We won't even go into pre-jet era liveries.

Design trends change. In addition to the cost reasons mentioned above we live in a time that favors simpler, conservative, less flashy designs.

sierra3tango

Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:43 pm

Its years old now and really out of date but I still like the GF livery & even if you don't, it ceratinly stands out
in the crowd - you know which airline it is from afar

Filler

LBA1432

Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:12 pm

I have always loved RJ's livery.

RJ321

Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:31 pm

Quoting JayJ (Thread starter):

Hello,
I Definetly believe that the airline livery is a very important issue to consider, it provides people an insight into the airline and serves to provide a first impression. I personally admire the Royal Jordanian standard livery. Looks even better on a 787 http://www.airplane-pictures.net/pho...n-airline-boeing-787-8-dreamliner/

shuttle9juliet

Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 1):

I think ATC had problems telling other carriers to" follow the speedbird " especially at night time and say if you were a foreign carrier etc etc it could get quite confusing.

38m

Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:24 pm

I have always loved the blue cheatline liveries of KE and KL. The problem with cheatline liveries is that they can look extremely old, so they need some kind of update. I'm not saying curvy lines are the only answer to that, though I like updated KL livery.

mark2fly1034

Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:50 am

Quoting shuttle9juliet (Reply 11):

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 1):

I think ATC had problems telling other carriers to" follow the speedbird " especially at night time and say if you were a foreign carrier etc etc it could get quite confusing.

Same could be said about B6 right? Or is cause they all have blue make it better?

2008matt

Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:33 am

I can't quite imagine what Transaero were aiming for to be honest with you. I thought the new easyjet was bad but this - how can you even design that?X
Every Achievement Starts with a Decision to Try :)

Flyingsottsman

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:01 am

Does anyone think that Alitalia's livery has stood the test of time and still looks modern?

Flyingsottsman

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:03 am

Going back to BA's world tails I think the best of them was the Chelsea Rose design that to me look fantastic on the BA tails, maybe they should have done all their fleet in that design.

Bongodog1964

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:16 am

Quoting Flyingsottsman (Reply 16):

Going back to BA's world tails I think the best of them was the Chelsea Rose design that to me look fantastic on the BA tails, maybe they should have done all their fleet in that design.

When they scrapped the idea, it was logical to choose Chatham Dockyard, as this was the scheme previously reserved for Concorde their flagship plane. If however Chatham hadn't been the final decision, I agree that Chelsea Rose would have been a good choice as both looked good and announced to the World "this plane is from London"

tjh8402

Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:44 pm

I wonder how much liveries are done for the public an how much are done more to help inspire employee pride in the airline? It's the conventional wisdom on here that most of the public buys tickets based purely on price without regard to airline or airplane. Even those in the know will generally make their choices on things like airplane, hard and soft products, convenience, etc long before livery. I doubt that those who are loyal to top airlines like KE, SQ, CX, DL, WN etc would stop flying them if they went to a plain or boring livery. OTOH, a good looking airplane certainly helps your employees feel a sense of pride about who that work for, an important and worthwhile cause on its own.

dcajet

Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:16 pm

Quoting Flyingsottsman (Reply 15):
Does anyone think that Alitalia's livery has stood the test of time and still looks modern?

Indeed. A classic. Lets hope Etihad understands that and does not fudge with it.

Rds,
Keep calm and wash your hands.

bleudefrance

Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:46 pm

Quoting Flyingsottsman (Reply 15):

Yes, it's great.

Boeing778X

Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:51 pm

Delta, British Airways, Air France, Southwest and others like them all have very powerful and solid brands and liveries.

One of the worst in my book is Iberia.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

bleudefrance

Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:05 pm

Quoting Boeing778X (Reply 21):
Delta, British Airways, Air France, Southwest and others like them all have very powerful and solid brands and liveries.

I would switch AF for KLM.

AF is not so strong and its livery sucks, IMHO. Too much white.

My favourite airline liveries are KLM and Aeroflot.

afcjets

Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:09 am

I really liked TranStar (the US one), their deep purple MD80s looked really sleek. The cabins were very cool too, the first class section was very large and even coach had leather seating, which was uncommon during the 1980s.

910A

Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:27 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 7):
Yes, most current liveries are "basic", but so were most old liveries as well.

I can go with that. The current soon to pass livery in the America skies in US Airways, designed in house, with it's stripes on the tail and the "waves" on the sides is more than basic. Now the new Spirit takes basic to a new level, but the yellow saves it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos