Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MVAair
Topic Author

Frontier Horizon Airlines

Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:43 am

Does anyone have any history on Frontier Horizon?
Fleet?
Destinations?
Start Date?
End Date?
Classes offered?
Service?

Thanks

knope2001

RE: Frontier Horizon Airlines

Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:57 am

Here's what I remember:

Started early 1984

Arm of Frontier Airlines formed to evade Frontier unions -- I don't recall if FH was flatly non-union or if it was formed to work around aspects of the existing union contract at Frontier.

Flew 727-100's

Connected DEN to SFO, LGA, IAD, MCO, TPA, all of which were (I believe) new markets for Frontier.

I believe they were all-coach just like regular Frontier.

With Frontier's failing fortunes FH ended by spring of 1985 with some markets (like SFO) taken over by standard Frontier and others (like IAD) gone.

mtnwest1979

Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:07 am

DEN-SFO/ORD/LGA/IAD with 727-100s were original locales. MCO and TPA came a bit later.
By the end, only ORD remained of the F H cities. Well, other than DEN.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

wedgetail737

Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:23 am

Those Frontier Horizon 727-100's were ex-AA birds. But FH didn't last very long....and some of it was taken over by Frontier.

ridgid727

Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:30 am

I non-reved on them once from DEN to ORD. They were just like regular Frontier and they did offer a snack box on board. Actually their service was more like what you would experience on Wn today. It was one class fairly dense as I remember.

MVAair
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:22 pm

Ok thanks. I thought given they flew to business markets, service would include F class and a more upscale product.

Odd that they would choose those markets for a no frills type service.

mcg

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:37 pm

FH used those funny mobile boarding lounges to board their flights. Their departure area was in the D concourse at Stapleton and the planes were parked between the concourse and the hanger on that side of the airport.

n7371f

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:36 am

Quoting ridgid727 (Reply 4):

I non-reved on them once from DEN to ORD. They were just like regular Frontier and they did offer a snack box on board. Actually their service was more like what you would experience on Wn today. It was one class fairly dense as I remember.

I believe Frontier Horizon had First Class. The ex-AA 727's that Frontier Holdings purchased were kept in the same configuration minus different seat covers.

I flew them DEN-IAD in coach and my notes indicate a hot, full meal.

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 1):
Arm of Frontier Airlines formed to evade Frontier unions -- I don't recall if FH was flatly non-union or if it was formed to work around aspects of the existing union contract at Frontier.

Yes, Glenn Ryland and the board created FL Horizon to be non-union and serve the "larger" markets that mainline Frontier lacked from Denver.

However I can tell you that from talks with Hank Lund, who was named President of Horizon, Ryland and Holdings management made so many agreements to satisfy ALPA that the low-cost advantage at planning was lost at start-up.

n9801f

Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:13 am

Quoting n7371f (Reply 7):
I believe Frontier Horizon had First Class. The ex-AA 727's that Frontier Holdings purchased were kept in the same configuration minus different seat covers.

Yes, that aligns with my memory, too. I'm pretty sure it was the original AA configuration, possibly with new fabric.

I flew Frontier Horizon once LGA-DEN and they did a good job - steak for dinner and free red wine.

Some trivia I remember is that their code was FW.

Horizon Airlines (in the Pacific Northwest) raised a trademark issue about the use of "Horizon", so there was an employee contest to rename FW and the name that was chosen was "Frontier Discovery".

However the point was moot. As Frontier's financial condition deteriorated (UA, CO and FL all had hubs in DEN, and CO had a low-fare business model; Frontier was the odd-man out) Frontier management and employees pulled together to try to solve things. I'm guessing it was part of this conciliatory process that saw FW folded into Frontier.

I'm pretty sure there was a transition period (as FW was winding down) where Frontier itself operated a 727 or two in 1985, however this was brief.

My recollection is that the FW operating certificate was sold to a company called "Skybus" that wanted to start an airline at an alternate airport in Atlanta, however that enterprise never got off the ground.

Frontier continued to operate some FW routes, such as DEN-MCO, with 737's after Frontier Horizon closed.

knope2001

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:47 am

Quoting n9801f (Reply 8):
I'm pretty sure there was a transition period (as FW was winding down) where Frontier itself operated a 727 or two in 1985, however this was brief.

Yup -- flew a Frontier 727 SFO-DEN in May 1985 and it wasn't Frontier Horizon at that point. I don't know how long the 727's stayed with Frontier -- perhaps right up to the end as Frontier didn't last too much longer at that point.

n7371f

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:40 am

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 9):

Quoting n9801f (Reply 8):

Yup -- flew a Frontier 727 SFO-DEN in May 1985 and it wasn't Frontier Horizon at that point. I don't know how long the 727's stayed with Frontier -- perhaps right up to the end as Frontier didn't last too much longer at that point.

Frontier did briefly operate a few 727-100's in 1985 after Horizon was shut down and the certificate sold to Skybus. But the -100's were off the Frontier certificate by 1986.

When Frontier filed for Chapter 11 in September 1986, only 737-200's and MD-80's were on the FL certificate. The 727-100's were still around - just parked somewhere (Tulsa I believe) and under the auspice of Frontier Leasco and Frontier Leasco 2. Glen Ryland was all about subsidiarys and Holdings created Leasco and Leasco 2 to buy and then lease out the 727-100's and the 580's to operate as Horizon and Commuter respectively.

There were somewhere around 5-7 subsidiaries of Frontier Holdings that were included in the bankruptcy. Essentially what Continental did was buy the Frontier Airlines subsidiary out of bankruptcy.

[Edited 2015-04-16 20:43:27]

Cody

Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:08 am

I am about 80 % sure there was a first class as well offered from DEN-IAD. I am fairly certain the cabin was 100 percent American Airlines with red/orange diamond patterned seats. I think they may have had a headrest cover with the "f" logo on it. One thing I am sure of, the forward bulkhead had the American cloud design in red, white and brown typical of that era.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos