American 767
Topic Author

Irish 6/15: Eire San Aer

Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:28 pm

Please continue posting your updates and pictures here:

Irish 5/15: Eire San Aer (by kaitak Mar 18 2015 in Civil Aviation)

Cheers !!!  

Ben Soriano
Ben Soriano

EIDL

RE: Irish 6/15: Eire San Aer

Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:31 pm

Quoting 321neo (Reply 204):
Is it possible to book such tickets online?

Not from VS directly, but you can with Expedia etc. Some tickets are being dumped in to the Irish market at a fraction of the price without the DUB-LGW/etc leg; I've seem just under £400 DUB-LGW-LAS-LGW-DUB when the same LGW-LAS-LGW flights were about £1500.

OA260

Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:43 pm

Quoting American 767 (Thread starter):
Cheers !!!  

Ben Soriano

Thanks for a new thread Ben  

---

Quoting EIDL (Reply 1):
Quoting 321neo (Reply 204):
Is it possible to book such tickets online?

Not from VS directly, but you can with Expedia etc. Some tickets are being dumped in to the Irish market at a fraction of the price without the DUB-LGW/etc leg; I've seem just under £400 DUB-LGW-LAS-LGW-DUB when the same LGW-LAS-LGW flights were about £1500.

VS has been in the Irish market for years. At one point they seemed to loose interest only to come back and now have a medium presence in the market. You will find that large tour operators such as American Holidays/Topflight and Sunway all use their nett fares to package up their holidays. Also the main Irish consolidators all sell VS nett fares via trade and direct to their own clients. MCO LAS are the top sellers currently.

American 767
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:57 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
Thanks for a new thread Ben

My pleasure. It's my job, as a crew member, to archive threads when they become too long. That's what I do mostly.
Welcome on board   .

[Edited 2015-04-14 09:10:59]
Ben Soriano

Cipango

Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:11 pm

DUB seems to be 100% as it is showing up on the ET website.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll186/Cipango91/Screen%20Shot%202015-04-14%20at%2016.02.37_zpspljbr0eg.png

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll186/Cipango91/Screen%20Shot%202015-04-14%20at%2016.03.30_zpsbwqi0ozw.png
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

Eirules

Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:30 pm

Quoting Cipango (Reply 4):

The flight times are a tad odd. Is the YYZ flight planning to depart DUB at 6am?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

OA260

Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:38 pm

Apparently Westbound only and no traffic rights. Seems the lobbying has started already according to some sources.

321neo

Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:42 pm

Quoting Cipango (Reply 4):
DUB seems to be 100% as it is showing up on the ET website.

Funny how it was debated for so long if AI would move it's transit stops to DUB, while this one has seemingly popped out of the blue. Starting within the next month too!

JAmie2k9

Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 pm

Quoting EIRules (Reply 5):

04.50-05.50 - IAD
05.00-06.00 - YYZ
05.00-06.15 - LAX

[Edited 2015-04-14 09:53:39]

kaitak

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:41 pm

Very interesting and positive news. Glad to see ET move from Rome to DUB, though looking at the timings, can't helping wishing for lengthy delays!

shamrocka330

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:46 pm

Travelling through T2 in DUB this morning I was horrified to see the Ryanair branding all over the glass lift shafts.

It's so disappointing as it looks cheap, it is far too big and ruins the modern clean look of the new terminal.

I've never seen a terminal give up so much space in a prime location for such a huge advert! They must have received a significant sum of money for this tacky branding.

I must stress that I've nothing against Ryanair, I'd feel the same if it was any other airline. My concern now is that this will continue throughout the building and soon it will begin to deteriorate into a tacky, unpleasant experience for the customer.
aka thebigjd (member since Sept 2001)

OA260

Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:26 pm

Quoting shamrocka330 (Reply 10):
Travelling through T2 in DUB this morning I was horrified to see the Ryanair branding all over the glass lift shafts.

It's so disappointing as it looks cheap, it is far too big and ruins the modern clean look of the new terminal.

I did see it and tend to agree not because its FR I would hate to see EI or EK use that area that has been used. I also feel its a bit too much to be honest. There should be set areas that are advert free and thats one of them. Dublin Airport made a choice between revenue and taste and the former won!

BestWestern

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:50 pm

Surprisingly the will arrive at peak airbridge usage time.

It makes sense that ET have one transit stop airport in Europe, but this should be in a quieter airport.... This may have gone to Shannon in the days of one airport group.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

ClassicLover

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:38 am

Has something happened to the Aer Lingus pre-order meals?

I booked flights today - DUB-LHR-DUB - for 8 and 9 August and wasn't given the option to pre-order a meal during the booking process.

Afterwards, I went to Manage Booking and Pre Order Meals and got the following error message for both sectors -

Dublin - London/Heathrow: Pre-Order meals are launching soon on this flight. In the meantime, our delicious Sky Deli menu will be available for you to purchase on-board.

Are they planning to phase out the pre-order meals?
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

teahan

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:58 am

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 12):
Surprisingly the will arrive at peak airbridge usage time.

Do they need an airbridge?
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

AmricanShamrok

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:00 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 13):
Pre-Order meals are launching soon on this flight. In the meantime, our delicious Sky Deli menu will be available for you to purchase on-board.

Sounds like an old snippet from the website. Sky Deli has been phased out and replaced with Bia.

To add to the discussion on catering shortages on some EI flights; on a recent flight from LHR to SNN the cabin crew advised before we left the gate that there was a "very limited" selection due to unexpectedly high sales on the inbound SNN-LHR leg. Obviously they only stock up on catering back at base.

ClassicLover

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:06 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 15):
Sounds like an old snippet from the website. Sky Deli has been phased out and replaced with Bia.

Well that didn't bother me so much as not being able to order a Breakfast one way and another meal on the return!

OA260

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:06 pm

Obviously they only stock up on catering back at base.

I think that must be true for all the flights. Even on the longer flights down to the Canaries they are DUB loaded.

KIRFlyer

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:18 pm

To add to the discussion on catering shortages on some EI flights; on a recent flight from LHR to SNN the cabin crew advised before we left the gate that there was a "very limited" selection due to unexpectedly high sales on the inbound SNN-LHR leg. Obviously they only stock up on catering back at base.

I mentioned in the previous thread that I flew LHR-DUB-LHR last week, and on both legs there was a severe reduction on the savoury food. On LHR-DUB, we were told"heavy demand" on previous flights that morning. On the DUB-LHR leg, there was no reason. Other people have commented about this, and mentioned that it has also popped up on boards.ie

Can many of us finding issues with EI catering be a coincidence?

ClassicLover

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:03 pm

I don't think it's been mentioned, but the Aer Lingus Blog mentions that the new JFK lounge is now open!

http://blog.aerlingus.com/blog.htm

There's a video there of it. Looks very familiar  

Eagleboy

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:07 pm

Quoting shamrocka330 (Reply 10):

I would agree. While I must applaud the cheeky placment by FR I think the scale of the adverts (1 and 2 storey high) is appaling. No company should be allowed to dominate like that. Obviously Daa, sorry Dublin Airport (as its now called) decided money was more important than taste.

Quoting KIRFlyer (Reply 18):
I mentioned in the previous thread that I flew LHR-DUB-LHR last week, and on both legs there was a severe reduction on the savoury food.

For a few years now (prob 6-8) EI have only ever been stocked at home base. As most of their onboard offerings are pretty specific to EI they would not be able to uplift stock at other airports. In addition they would recoil at the "additional cost outlay to external suppliers"

The catering problems discussed here and on boards.ie are the result of a new plan...as with many such plans this was devised by back office admin/revenue staff....frontline staff have expressed their concerns and these concerns were completely ignored. Basically EI are now catering all 1st wave departures with all the food they will need for the day.

-The mgmt statement evens acknowledges that this will result in "passengers not having 1st preference options" on perishable items, or even "no perishable items onboard the last flights of the day" but that increased supply of non perishable items will allow alternates to be presented."
Apparently by moving to this new model it will "optimise on-board stock therefore reducing wastage"......EI are claiming that "all food retailers operate to this model" so EI "will be no different to shops or other airlines"

-EI mgmt are saying that "the cost of packaging and loading the stock on each outbound flight is too high and that the level of wastage post flight is far higher than industry standard". The frontline staff would argue that if they put the correct levels of popular items on board and got rid of the non popular stuff then the wastage would go down.

This ininiative is being driven by the Chief Revenue officer who has stonewalled all staff concerns over this and other new processes. Personally I would love to see twiiter/facebook and their online customer comment form being bombarded with passenger complaints. To me this new system is designed to cut staff numbers in the catering section and to deliberately undercater the aircraft so as to reduce wastage.

Eagleboy

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:28 pm

On another note EI have recently introduced a new inflight process on their longhaul aircaft. With the refresh of their Business Class menu options and the expansion of the cabin from 24 to 30 on the A330-300's EI have finally admitted that the J Class service requires 3 cabin crew to properly keep it flowing......

.....alas this is not the good news it appears to be. EI didn't look too far to find the 3rd body for Y Class. Y Class crew complement has been reduced from 6 to 5. (EI A330's have either 290 or 245 seats in Y Class) This means that the overly long inflight service on their T/A flights will become even longer.

As a comparison I can tell you that Titan have 265 Y seats on their B767, (which has operated quite a few EI flights recently) they have 6 crew and by not charging for alcohol can perform a speedier drinks service.
In order to "streamline" this 5 person service EI have reduced the size of their mealtrays (the same stuff is on there,just crammed into less space) This means that the Y pax will now be waiting longer to get hot drinks post dinner, longer 'trapped' in their seats by trays and carts, and longer to get a response to a callbell. (Thats if they heard the callbell as they will be in the cabin serving other pax)
But at the same time as they are reducing the crew numbers for pax service they are insisted that the numbers doing the inflight duty-free service stay the same and that the lights should not be dimmed until the D/F is over. Sounds like EI are desperate to get a few more quid from their Y pax.

EI will have 8 A330 over the summer, 54 weekly trips according to the website summer schedule. (maybe 40 weekly over the winter 15/16?)
The cost of adding 1 crew per aircraft has been estimated as a little under 3 million Euro annually by the chief revenue officer. 54x 20 weeks, 40x 32 weeks = 1080+1280 = 2360. I'll round down to 2350. I get a ballpark figure of 1276 euro per departure to cover the cost of an additional crew member........thats 1 round trip extra per flight!!
Lets imagine they only added the extra crew to the larger model, the 30/290 config -300.....then its under 650 per departure, that a one way ticket per departure from DUB!!

For an airline that want to become a 4* airline on Skytrax I think they are being hugely optimistic. A reduction in staffing for the majority of their pax, a reduction in food offering, T/A buy onboard, more harried staff onboard and in the terminal....and they think they can improve their Skytrax rating.

OA260

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 21):
For an airline that want to become a 4* airline on Skytrax I think they are being hugely optimistic. A reduction in staffing for the majority of their pax, a reduction in food offering, T/A buy onboard, more harried staff onboard and in the terminal....and they think they can improve their Skytrax rating.

I sense more strikes coming along  

Eirules

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:33 pm

I agree with much of what you said. EI have become a penny pinching airline while still publicly pretending to be improving their standards. With the announcement today by UA that they are improving meals in Y and offering free beers & spirits, EI are one of the few transatlantic carriers charging for booze. As someone who generally flies to USA at least twice yearly, their fares are generally higher than UA, DL or AA and they are now at a distinct competitive disadvantage.

The improvements in J standards, seat, meals, lounges etc should be applauded and are vital parts or the development of the airline. But they shouldn't be coming at the expense of J passengers

Think about it this way... A passenger flying MAN-DUB-BOS may now be told there's no food for them on the MAN-DUB leg despite them willing to pay for it. Now they will have to wait the guts of 2 hours to be fed on the long haul sector and have to pay for a cheap glass of wine. For a similar price a passenger may fly DUB-LHR-BOS with BA. They get a snack to LHR, a meal about an hour after departing LHR and as much booze as they want... Yes EI are on their way to being a 4 star airline.....
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

EI320

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:03 pm

I was offered a packet of crisps as an alternative to a sandwich on an evening flight last week - I politely declined.

I can understand the need for cost savings. But managing customer expectations is core to ensuring customer satisfaction. Customers generally expect there to be a sandwich (or a suitable alternative - crisps do not count) available at least most of the time if it is advertised on the menu. There have been reports of there being absolutely no perishable goods available on many flights in recent weeks.

Many will start to take a dim view of the inflight product if the perishable items advertised are consistently unavailable; having morning flights fully stocked is of little use to someone who always travels in the evening.

The EI BOB product on short-haul is typically quite good so I would hope they can correct the current mismatch between demand and supply ASAP.

Eagleboy

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:25 pm

Quoting EIRules (Reply 23):
EI have become a penny pinching airline while still publicly pretending to be improving their standards. With the announcement today by UA that they are improving meals in Y and offering free beers & spirits, EI are one of the few transatlantic carriers charging for booze.
Quoting EI320 (Reply 24):
I can understand the need for cost savings. But managing customer expectations is core to ensuring customer satisfaction. Customers generally expect there to be a sandwich (or a suitable alternative - crisps do not count) available at least most of the time if it is advertised on the menu.

I completely agree with the above. EI must watch costs but they are penny pinching on an industrial scale and I fear it will come back an bite them in 2 years when the EU/UK-DUB-USA market that they have carved out all decide the CBP isn't enough reason to fy with EI, and start to go back to their own flag carriers.
I would love to know how much revenue EI actual generate from alcohol sales on their T/A flights, considering that they say some flights have 70% non-Irish originating pax. (Yes,its a stereotype,but stereotypes exist for a reason)

As regards the revamp and investment into the J Class offering, well not every high yield pax travels in J. I would guess many companies mostly use Y class for staff/work travel. I know some who will get J Class westbound as they are working in the USA,while it is Y going back to DUB as they aren't going into work.These corporate accounts will go elsewhere if p**ed off enough.

The EI BOB product on short-haul is typically quite good so I would hope they can correct the current mismatch between demand and supply ASAP.

Well hopefully they will quickly adjust the planned loading to match demand over the last week and over the next 2 weeks.

Lets hope that enough customers voice their issues directly to the company rather then just mouthing off to teh staff or their friends and family.

Cipango

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:47 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 19):
There's a video there of it. Looks very familiar  
The cost of adding 1 crew per aircraft has been estimated as a little under 3 million Euro annually by the chief revenue officer. 54x 20 weeks, 40x 32 weeks = 1080+1280 = 2360. I'll round down to 2350. I get a ballpark figure of 1276 euro per departure to cover the cost of an additional crew member........thats 1 round trip extra per flight!!
Lets imagine they only added the extra crew to the larger model, the 30/290 config -300.....then its under 650 per departure, that a one way ticket per departure from DUB!!

We were discussing recently about the huge increase in price for Aer Lingus business class. Yes there is an increase in the offerings but the increase in price far outweighs the increase in costs for the new products.

Quoting EIRules (Reply 23):
Think about it this way... A passenger flying MAN-DUB-BOS may now be told there's no food for them on the MAN-DUB leg despite them willing to pay for it. Now they will have to wait the guts of 2 hours to be fed on the long haul sector and have to pay for a cheap glass of wine. For a similar price a passenger may fly DUB-LHR-BOS with BA. They get a snack to LHR, a meal about an hour after departing LHR and as much booze as they want... Yes EI are on their way to being a 4 star airline.....

Its a very good point and it reminds me of a long haul low cost carrier (think Norwegian). They charge a similar price to a full service carrier then charge you extra for bags, food and seat selection. It is one of the reasons why it is a flawed business model (for the most part). EI are showing attributes of this and they really need to up their game. They could get away with it for years as the US competitors were offering pretty shoddy service, but now US carriers are flying good products across the Atlantic and EI is starting to fall behind.

[Edited 2015-04-15 15:06:10]

OA260

Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:03 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 25):
Lets hope that enough customers voice their issues directly to the company rather then just mouthing off to teh staff or their friends and family.

Indeed and that crew make reports onboard in a pro active way which then get fed back as customer complaints. I fear that a lot of these complaints never get back. Either because the crew can't be bothered or the passenger can't be bothered.

kaitak

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:52 am

I had this experience on a JER-DUB flight about two weeks ago; we were told no fresh food was available. Didn't think much of it at the time, but would be very disappointed to see EI get a reputation for under-catering its flights.

Today's IT reports that the minister for transport is looking at DUB rail access options, with a Luas line to the airport favoured. Metro North looks unlikely, on cost grounds, though the Luas will involve a significant underground section

OA260

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:00 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 28):
Didn't think much of it at the time, but would be very disappointed to see EI get a reputation for under-catering its flights.

Indeed with a decent BOB reputation its a shame they are messing it up.

t DUB rail access options, with a Luas line to the airport favoured.

To be honest any rail access would be good at this stage. Less talk and more action being the preffered outcome. Its been way too long and exhausting at this stage.

JAmie2k9

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:16 pm

Today's IT reports that the minister for transport is looking at DUB rail access options, with a Luas line to the airport favoured. Metro North looks unlikely, on cost grounds, though the Luas will involve a significant underground section

2km hardly much underground, the more pressing concern is that a airport loop needs to be found as currently plans have neither Luas lines entering the airport.

Irish Rail's proposals are not really adequate at this time and until Dart Underground goes ahead people would suffer from a spur being build and it could do more harm than good.

Cipango

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:44 pm

In hindsight they could have worked with the port tunnel project with an extended Red Luas line from Tallaght to Dublin Airport.

EI121

Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:55 pm

A question on the potential on the IAG bid. If Leo Varadkar was still minister for transport do you think he would of been 100% in favour for it and it wouldn't have gone on this long? Or would it followed the same process it currently is.

Also I a separate note, I would like to hear your thoughts. If DUB had no runway restrictions and could fly to anywhere in the world. What airlines and what routes do you think would be served from DUB?

I would think maybe a CX service to HK or a JL service to HND/NRT.

Would love to hear your ideas.

Thanks, EI121   

AmricanShamrok

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:08 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 20):

Very informative posts there, thanks for that. Good to know what has been going on behind the scenes.

Quoting EI121 (Reply 32):
I would think maybe a CX service to HK or a JL service to HND/NRT.

Even if DUB did have the runway capability, I don't know if it would have nonstop services to Hong Kong or Tokyo. DUB could probably support service to PEK a few times weekly though I'd imagine.

Miami

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:52 pm

Decision on sale of Aer Lingus stake 'in the coming weeks' - Minister for Transport

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015...ium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

ClassicLover

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:44 pm

I was offered a packet of crisps as an alternative to a sandwich on an evening flight last week - I politely declined.

Further to the food issue...

I flew AMS-DUB today with my voucher for a Cottage Pie in hand. There were none loaded on board. The remedy is that they will give you anything from the Bia menu on board up to the value of your voucher AND you can contact Aer Lingus for a refund of your original €7.50.

The crew were unbelievably apologetic about it all. When I got off the flight they apologised again for what happened. They were sincerely a bit mortified at what had happened and advised me that they were currently having some issues with the catering.

My take on it?

They're not doing pre-order and instead of pulling it and refunding everyone, they might get away with everyone spending their €7.50 on Bia and not applying for a refund. Either way it's not great!

It really is! I had a Cheesy Mister (very nice!), Sliders (quite nice but not much food for €4.50 - I paid for this with cash), and a bottle of water.

The crew were concerned when I ordered the Cheesy Mister and had to call the rear galley which had at least one in stock.

Overall, my first flight on Aer Lingus in quite a while was great. I'd forgotten how good the service is at Aer Lingus - I have 5 more flights already booked with them this year so I am looking forward to it.

shamrock604

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:56 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 30):
2km hardly much underground, the more pressing concern is that a airport loop needs to be found as currently plans have neither Luas lines entering the airport.

Irish Rail's proposals are not really adequate at this time and until Dart Underground goes ahead people would suffer from a spur being build and it could do more harm than good.

Actually couldnt believe my eyes when I saw this - two Luas proposals, both of which would stop on the R132 by Kiely's pub - hardly a lot of use for a passenger. These proposals are daft, and quite honestly, it's not a great solution for Swords either.

If it's a luas line - the airport will need the Irish rail proposal as well, it couldnt be one or the other.

Or, they sould just build the bloody line that already has planning permission - Metro North.

shamrock321

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:28 pm

The length of time these catering problems have been going on is simply pathetic! It's been happening for a few weeks now, it's going to loose custom!

OA260

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:30 pm

Quoting shamrock321 (Reply 37):

Have not bothered to pre order for this weeks flight. Still major issues!

Cipango

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:13 pm

Quoting shamrock321 (Reply 37):
The length of time these catering problems have been going on is simply pathetic!

Completely agree! 1-4 days is understandable when they recuperate their operation but at this stage it is ridiculous for EI. I am sure someone is working on fixing this issue but what are they doing that is taking so long?

Don't fix something that doesn't need fixing.

Eagleboy

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:40 pm

Quoting Cipango (Reply 39):
Completely agree! 1-4 days is understandable when they recuperate their operation but at this stage it is ridiculous for EI. I am sure someone is working on fixing this issue but what are they doing that is taking so long?

Its hard to aim at being a 4 Star airline when you have 2 Star mgmt

OA260

Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:18 am

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 40):

Unlike some EI would not pay the bribes either. All this 4/5* airline stuff is fixed.

BestWestern

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:57 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 41):
Unlike some EI would not pay the bribes either. All this 4/5* airline stuff is fixed.

Skytrax is not an impartial rating system for airlines - it is a paid consultancy service - that helps airlines improve standards. I've stood up for them before as they do make airlines focus on service levels. However, some of the scoring is / was bizarre.

There is some rigor to the star rating - Hong Kong Airlines was a 'four star carrier' when it's service was far from it. . It is now missing off the list, so obviously they have fallen out.

China Eastern is a three star category, and I'd even question if that is valid... As to how Shanghai HongQiao is a four star airport is beyond me. They still had happy Christmas signage up as of Saturday in the airport operated international business lounge.

Another 'survey' that I'd question these days is the ACI airports survey... some of the results are truly bizarre.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

JAmie2k9

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:59 am

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 36):

I only looked at the Luas stopping outside the airport the other day to, was shocked as well. Anybody would think Ryanair were in charge!!

In other news, DUB spending 14 million adding 4 floors (1400 spaces) to T2 short term car park. Expected to fully be completed by December.

T2_Car_Park.aspx" target="_blank">http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-...Million_To_Expand_T2_Car_Park.aspx

Also spotted this on the ET article released by daa:
"A number of other European airports were bidding for this contract, so it’s particularly pleasing to have won it."

Wonder if SNN did bid to...

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-..._Use_Dublin_For_Transit_Stops.aspx

Clydenairways

Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:22 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 43):
I only looked at the Luas stopping outside the airport the other day to, was shocked as well. Anybody would think Ryanair were in charge!!

In other news, DUB spending 14 million adding 4 floors (1400 spaces) to T2 short term car park. Expected to fully be completed by December.

Thats' the whole problem. The DAA make a fortune from car park revenue so they haven't exactly been pushing for better public transport options over the years.

dstc47

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:04 pm

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 44):
Thats' the whole problem. The DAA make a fortune from car park revenue so they haven't exactly been pushing for better public transport options over the years.

True, a close in connection is needed, not a venue on the airport fringe.
Airport parking revenues will no doubt get a boost from bus strikes in the Republic on Friday, 1st May, Saturday 2nd May, and again on Friday, 15th May and Saturday, 16th May and one by the sole transport operator of bus and rail services in N.I. on 6th May.

Cipango

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:24 pm

Ireland is set to begin using EJ-XXX

Ireland To Start New EJ- Sequence (by winterlight Apr 20 2015 in Civil Aviation)

EIDL

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:26 pm

EJ in radio callsigns was originally isolated for use on Ireland's offshore islands - I doubt they're going to bring that over for this though!

JAmie2k9

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:51 pm

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 44):

I really think they won't be hit massively for a number of reasons:
1 - DUB handles the majority of inbound tourists (5+ million) and the same outbound and get no income in parking charges
2 - Luas will not make first wave of departures
3 - Business passengers I expect are unlikely to use such public transport

I accept they will take a hit but taxi drivers will be the biggest losers. Dublin Bus and Aircoach will lose out to. Capturing at least 3.5 million journeys each way to/from DUB would be some achievement and could generate around over €35 million if prices at €5 per trip (realistic pricing) annually.

[Edited 2015-04-20 06:53:18]

[Edited 2015-04-20 06:54:24]

Eagleboy

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:47 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 41):

Which to me makes it laughable that EI actually have a campaign running at teh moment to improve their stats on Skytrax..... its a dodgy ratings system. I can't believe EI mgmt really think its going to happen and/or make a big difference to their brand reputation.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos