United1
Topic Author

UA Updates International Y Class Service

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:26 pm

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....3680&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2035377

free beer and wine on long haul flights
updated menus
adding BoB snack options

Not bad changes and I am happy to see that they have made Wine and Beer free...something that should have always been on long haul flights.

LAXintl

RE: UA Updates International Y Class Service

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Yawn....

Personally I think charging for beer/wine was the right thing. You don't go to a hotel, restaurant or other establishment and expect it to be for free, so why free on a plane in Y class?

9w748capt

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:40 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 1):
You don't go to a hotel, restaurant or other establishment and expect it to be for free, so why free on a plane in Y class?

Very true. Short answer is that everyone else does it - so UA needs to keep pace. I'm sure UA management looked at what DL is doing since UA seems hell-bent on copycatting every move DL makes.

Good for UA though - maybe this will put more pressure on LCC management to maybe serve actual edible food, even in Y.

MaverickM11

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:41 pm

Quoting United1 (Thread starter):
updated menus
adding BoB snack options

I believe the three courses in Y involve three separate cart services, which is pretty interesting

ScottB

You don't go to a hotel, restaurant or other establishment and expect it to be for free, so why free on a plane in Y class?

Because the competition offers beer and wine (and in the case of DL, liquor) for free in Y class. And in Europe, wine and beer are often less expensive than soda at restaurants.

815Oceanic

And courses instead of just one platter. That's a big improvement for a U.S. carrier!

codc10

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:44 pm

Suppose it's a perception thing... you don't fly BA, CX, SQ or even DL and pay for booze in Economy, so why shouldn't you expect something similar on UA?

United787

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:50 pm

I enjoy my alcohol as much as any American but offering free alcohol on long haul flights just seems like a bad idea and will just encourage over consumption and end up with more diversions sue to roudy pax...

CALMSP

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:52 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 7):

but yet this was done previously for years. No big deal.

Polot

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:55 pm

Quoting United1 (Thread starter):
updated menus
adding BoB snack options

Oh no! What will A.net complain about now in regards to UA's international Y service vis-a-vis DL's/AA's?

Obviously Smisek fought tooth an nail against this but fortunately he lost       

Stitch

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:56 pm

Personally I think charging for beer/wine was the right thing. You don't go to a hotel, restaurant or other establishment and expect it to be for free, so why free on a plane in Y class?

Because historically it was complimentary?

bgm

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:58 pm

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 2):
I'm sure UA management looked at what DL is doing since UA seems hell-bent on copycatting every move DL makes.

That's not entirely true. UA only copies the 'enhancements' (read: bad stuff) from DL.  

IrishAyes

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:59 pm

I've said this once and I will say it again....beer and wine literally cost pennies. The markup is absurd to charge pax $7-8 for an individual bottle that can be purchased for $1 at CVS.

Moreover, the FAs rarely do more than 2 drink runs in Y on long-haul flights until the meal trays are cleared and cabin lights are dimmed. In the vast majority of times when I've flown long-haul in Y on foreign carriers were drinks were complimentary, I always felt like it was frowned down upon to have more than 2-3 beverages in a single flight.

The one exception was when I flew DL to GRU and the flight was packed with Brasilians, and they had a Brasilian FA who was happily topping us all off with some classy boxed juice. Let's just say the Duty Free cart spent more time in the aisle that flight than any of the catering services that day (although moot point since DL has gotten rid of it?)

MaverickM11

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:00 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 10):
What will A.net complain about now in regards to UA's international Y service vis-a-vis DL's/AA's?

Easy. No more drop downs of prerecorded out of focus Hillary Duff movies   

TK787

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:00 pm

I don't fly UA international that much. On a recent flight, I asked for a beer and the FA said that " That will be $7" (IIRC),
when he realized that I was taken by surprise that I had to pay, he offered it complimentary.

will just encourage over consumption and end up with more diversions sue to roudy pax...

I guess we hear it from time to time that it happens, but in my 30+ years of flying this never happened to me (fingers crossed). Even from planes leaving remote Alaskan airports where everyone was given two cans of beer to start with  
On the other hand, I've seen a guy yelling and screaming at a FA, when she spilled some hot tea on him on a BA trans-Atlantic flight. Eventually they had to move him to the front cabin to shut him up.

Prost

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:03 pm

As a DL flight attendant, I'd like put in my 2 cents regarding free beer, wine, and for us, alcohol. We go through a lot less alcohol on the flights than you'd think. Customers are pretty savvy about the effects of alcohol on their bodies on long haul flights, and I thought we'd have a lot more problems with people wanting to get sauced than we do.

I know it's fashionable to jump all over UA for service and product, but let's look at the positives here's: They've just made an enhancement to their product, and I congratulate them on that. Well done.

qf002

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:03 pm

There is a basic expectation among 99.9% of the travelling population (outside the US, at least) that you'll be able to enjoy a "free" drink with your "free" dinner served by the "free" flight attendants while watching a "free" movie on your "free" PTV, before chuffing off to use the "free" toilet and using the "free" recline function to get some sleep while the "free" pilots fly the "free" aircraft to your destination.

Nothing is "free". It's all supposed to be included in the base fare that you pay. Good to see UA rectify this major shortfall, though I guess they'll still be charging for spirits (which I think the other US carriers do as well?).

fun2fly

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:11 pm

Well, about time to give customers a reason to choose UA. A bit late in my opinion, but makes it better.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 3):

I believe the three courses in Y involve three separate cart services, which is pretty interesting

The FA's will have to work more to do this, but they should save tons of time with the free bottle of water. I still have a hard time believing it took this long for that to happen. FA's have to rejoice not seeing pax for water constantly.

Oh no! What will A.net complain about now in regards to UA's international Y service vis-a-vis DL's/AA's?

Obviously Smisek fought tooth an nail against this but fortunately he lost

I guess they will now only have the 747's to complain about.

airbazar

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:13 pm

You don't pay a $600 fuel surcharge to heat your hotel room either 

VC10er

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:14 pm

I think it's a good thing. The better UA makes Y, the less customer complaints.

Back in the day, VARIG would give amenities to make the long flights more hospitable. Toothbrush and eyeshades in a basket that came down the aisle before take off!

I think United should do something like that in Economy Plus. The goal being, to make a tough to endure experience just a tad better. I think eyeshades, ear plugs and socks would be inexpensive but much appreciated.

rta

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:18 pm

Instead of offering free wine/beer in Y, I'd prefer if they made the food more edible.

United1
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 3):

That would be unique...

Quoting qf002 (Reply 17):
Good to see UA rectify this major shortfall, though I guess they'll still be charging for spirits (which I think the other US carriers do as well?).

AA does charge for spirits however DL does not.

Quoting irishayes (Reply 13):
've said this once and I will say it again....beer and wine literally cost pennies. The markup is absurd to charge pax $7-8 for an individual bottle that can be purchased for $1 at CVS.

Probably not that big of a markup for UA at least...remember they are buying from a caterer.

Quoting rta (Reply 21):
I'd prefer if they made the food more edible.

...sounds like they are changing out what food is served onboard. Not sure if anyone can expect a Y class meal in the past 20 years to be anything more than "edible" however. I have had some decent food both on UA and other airlines in Y however I don't expect much from a meal that was cooked/frozen prior to flight and then reheated.

rwsea

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:33 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 21):
Instead of offering free wine/beer in Y, I'd prefer if they made the food more edible.

Did you even read the linked article? They said that they are improving the food and offering new menu options, as well as 3-courses.

I enjoy my alcohol as much as any American but offering free alcohol on long haul flights just seems like a bad idea and will just encourage over consumption and end up with more diversions sue to roudy pax...

Every other legacy carrier across the Atlantic offers free beer/wine (and in many cases, spirits). Where is the flood of stories about diversions due to pax that can't handle alcohol? In my experience, they only do one-two drink runs anyway, so at most people only have 1-2 drinks.

MaverickM11

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:36 pm

Quoting fun2fly (Reply 18):
The FA's will have to work more to do this, but they should save tons of time with the free bottle of water. I still have a hard time believing it took this long for that to happen. FA's have to rejoice not seeing pax for water constantly.

Yeah I'm shocked UA FAs didn't shoot this down since it involved more work.

MSPNWA

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:41 pm

Very nice soft product Y upgrades by UA. I especially like the 3-course meal service. The free beer and wine isn't that big to me, but it will be for others. To me a long-haul should have it free.

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 2):
I'm sure UA management looked at what DL is doing since UA seems hell-bent on copycatting every move DL makes.

UA has copied some DL moves, but nobody mentions the things that DL has copied from UA.

bgm

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:41 pm

Quoting VC10er (Reply 20):
I think it's a good thing.

If United pooped in your food, you'd think it was a good thing.  
Quoting Prost (Reply 16):
I know it's fashionable to jump all over UA for service and product, but let's look at the positives here's: They've just made an enhancement to their product, and I congratulate them on that. Well done.

What you mean is that, after many years they are finally providing something that their competitors have been providing for years?

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 24):
Yeah I'm shocked UA FAs didn't shoot this down since it involved more work.

Don't worry, I'm sure with the extra service, the lucky passengers will get an extra helping of attitude too.   

OA412

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:55 pm

The only move here that is applause worthy is the purported upgrade to meal service. Free beer/wine is a service their competitors have been offering for years, so going back to doing what everyone else already does isn't really something to applaud. The BoB snacks are a downgrade. $4 for crappy pringles is robbery. There's no way UA is paying anywhere near that for them.
Quoting CALMSP (Reply 8):
but yet this was done previously for years. No big deal.

And continues to be done each day on hundreds and thousands of flights without incident. These same doomsday concerns have been voiced for years, and they've never come to fruition.

Quoting Stitch (Reply 11):
Because historically it was complimentary?

Quoting irishayes (Reply 13):
I've said this once and I will say it again....beer and wine literally cost pennies. The markup is absurd to charge pax $7-8 for an individual bottle that can be purchased for $1 at CVS.

Perhaps, but when I go to a restaurant, at least in Denver, I don't pay $7-$8 for a cheap wine or beer. In fact, you can get excellent craft beers for $4-$5 (maybe up to $6) a pint in most places. Never mind that all other carriers offer it for free, charging that much for crappy selections they're paying very little for is customer unfriendly.

[Edited 2015-04-15 10:07:15]

United1
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:05 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 27):
Never mind that all other carriers offer it for free, charging that much for crappy selections they're paying very little for is customer unfriendly.

I don't necessarily find any of the alcohol selections on UA crappy (goose Island IPA is not bad) but I do think this was a case of keeping up with the rest of the pack...

There are certain areas of in-flight were UA is a leader but dining has never been one of them...glad to see them making some very positive changes to the food service in all classes.

OA412

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:10 pm

Quoting United1 (Reply 28):
I don't necessarily find any of the alcohol selections on UA crappy (goose Island IPA is not bad) but I do think this was a case of keeping up with the rest of the pack...

I don't like IPA's, so I'm not familiar with them. They don't list the brand of "house wine," but Budweiser and Miller Lite are swill, and Heineken is passable at best. $7-$8 for a can is way, way overpriced for any of those.

United Airline

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:12 pm

Oh finally we are getting something we should be getting. I do not salute to them. Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Qantas, British Airways, Lufthansa, Air France offer free food/alcohol (including wine, beer, spirit etc) onboard ALL flights including domestic flights. US standards are low but not the rest of the world. If Cathay Pacific takes away free alcohol do expect all Hong Kong newspaper to put that on front page.

I hope they amend the new stupid mileage plus policy

jetblue1965

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:13 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 25):

UA has copied some DL moves, but nobody mentions the things that DL has copied from UA.

Because it would go against their propaganda and spin. If you listen to the echo chamber, DL's management is a godsend while Jeff Smisek is hellbent on driving UA to become the next PanAm and Enron.

Summa767

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:15 pm

Well, as soon as I saw this announcement I thought that they might reverse the BoB for flights to and from Northern South America, but no, it stays, whereas AA and DL do offer free food.
I flew BOG-EWR a couple of months ago and actually saw a pax voicing his outrage at the Purser at the lack of complimentary food (he was comparing it to BOG-JFK on AV where there are 2 complimentary services -not sure what DL does on the same route). It was no surprise for me and I saw I made sure to get something at the airport for the 5h+ flight (buying my own catering ensured it was was one of the best onboard snacks I have ever had!!) and so lack of free catering it won't put me off flying UA on that or a similar route again, but it may do others.
I have to say that FA's tried as they did to flog the pile of baguettes that the had for sale, I did not see anybody purchase one.
Whilst on the subject, what I did think was mean was having to pay to see the flight map on this international flight! It's only available if you buy the DirectTv (or movies -as half it's out of TV coverage) for the flight.

United1
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:23 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 29):
but Budweiser and Miller Lite are swill, and Heineken is passable at best. $7-$8 for a can is way, way overpriced for any of those.

Yes that is high but about what their competitors charge as well....and for the same "class" of beer as well. Miller Lite, Heineken, Sam Adams and Blue Moon (DL offerings) are all kind of in the same boat...not crappy but not great either.

Polot

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:37 pm

Quoting United Airline (Reply 30):
Oh finally we are getting something we should be getting. I do not salute to them. Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Qantas, British Airways, Lufthansa, Air France offer free food/alcohol (including wine, beer, spirit etc) onboard ALL flights including domestic flights. US standards are low but not the rest of the world. If Cathay Pacific takes away free alcohol do expect all Hong Kong newspaper to put that on front page.

Well unless they stick you on Germanwings, Transavia, Jetstar etc which you notice are growing while the mother brand shorthaul stay rather stagnant.

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 31):
Because it would go against their propaganda and spin. If you listen to the echo chamber, DL's management is a godsend while Jeff Smisek is hellbent on driving UA to become the next PanAm and Enron.

If you believe some people here you would get the impression that UA is days away from going bankrupt and liquidating. It is so melodramatic that it has crossed the line from sad into funny.

jayunited

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:46 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 27):
The only move here that is applause worthy is the purported upgrade to meal service. Free beer/wine is a service their competitors have been offering for years, so going back to doing what everyone else already does isn't really something to applaud. The BoB snacks are a downgrade. $4 for crappy pringles is robbery. There's no way UA is paying anywhere near that for them.

I agree we should not be applauding UA for offering free wine and beer in coach on international flights. I think UA is finally starting to head in the right direction by not only offering free wine and beer but also by upgrading the meal service in coach. As far as the BoB snack boxes I think it is a great idea that has the potential to bring in additional revenue. The standard mid-flight snack will still be available its not being taken away (which basically is just a small sandwich and a cookie or brownie) but for passengers who want more then they will soon have the option to buy a snack box the same snack boxes offered on domestic flights. In my opinion UA has some really good and tasty snack boxes. So if passengers don't want a snack box they don't have to buy it but the standard mid-flight snack will still be available for free.

All the changes that UA is making to onboard domestic, UAX and international flights this years seems to suggest that perhaps UA is finally getting its financial house in order. DL has been able to make these changes much earlier than UA because DL has been out performing UA financially for years while UA has lagged behind mire in this on going never ending merger. Perhaps there is a light at the end of this tunnel after all and UA is improving financially which is now allowing UA to invest more money in improving their customer experience.

Eirules

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:54 pm

I think ye are being a little harsh. United have been thrashed by many on here due to their poor food offerings in Y and their lack of booze versus their transatlantic rivals. Now they commit to addressing one completely and at least attemp to improve the other, yet people still aren't happy. Credit where it's due to UA. Yes there's far more to do such as improving lounges, reducing RJ flying etc but it's not as though DL or AA are the perfect example of the ultimate Y experience either

jetblastdubai

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Quoting summa767 (Reply 32):
Well, as soon as I saw this announcement I thought that they might reverse the BoB for flights to and from Northern South America, but no, it stays, whereas AA and DL do offer free food.

From the article....they'll offer the complimentary meals AND pax can purchase the snack boxes in addition.

"The airline will also introduce snacks for purchase in United Economy on long-haul international services. Along with enjoying complimentary meals, customers will be able to purchase packaged snacks and snack boxes throughout their flights through the airline's Choice Menu Snack Shop"

Personally, I think a hot towel service in Y would be a welcome service enhancement for very little investment.

rta

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:56 pm

Quoting rwsea (Reply 23):
Did you even read the linked article? They said that they are improving the food and offering new menu options, as well as 3-courses.

New menus with larger portions does not necessarily mean that they will be better quality. If they can do that while offering free wine/beer, then that's great. If I have to pick between the two, then I'd still pick better food.

We'll have to see how it turns out. Still good news, nevertheless.

rwsea

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Quoting jayunited (Reply 35):
The standard mid-flight snack will still be available its not being taken away (which basically is just a small sandwich and a cookie or brownie) but for passengers who want more then they will soon have the option to buy a snack box the same snack boxes offered on domestic flights.

That's not correct. This will be going away. The one downside to the otherwise improved offerings.

United1
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:11 pm

Quoting rwsea (Reply 39):
That's not correct. This will be going away. The one downside to the otherwise improved offerings.

Not sure what your source is for that but you could be right....

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 37):

Quoting summa767 (Reply 32):

From the article....they'll offer the complimentary meals AND pax can purchase the snack boxes in addition.

"The airline will also introduce snacks for purchase in United Economy on long-haul international services. Along with enjoying complimentary meals, customers will be able to purchase packaged snacks and snack boxes throughout their flights through the airline's Choice Menu Snack Shop"

This won't be rolled out to markets like BOG or LIM at this point... SCL, EZE, GRU and GIG will get upgraded meals, BoB snacks and free beer/wine.

Quoting EIRules (Reply 36):
Now they commit to addressing one completely and at least attemp to improve the other, yet people still aren't happy. Credit where it's due to UA. Yes there's far more to do such as improving lounges, reducing RJ flying etc but it's not as though DL or AA are the perfect example of the ultimate Y experience either

Indeed...UA has had a lot of projects going on in parallel to improve onboard, the clubs and basically every other customer touchpoint. A lot of theses projects are nearing completion or far enough along that we can see that the product on the other end is actually rather good....

IAHWorldflyer

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:17 pm

When I opened up this thread I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't an April Fools joke.
Glad to see some improvements!

ukoverlander

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:23 pm

Well done to United for taking these few small steps towards providing a better customer centered experience on international services. Definitely a move in the right direction.

They will also be offering 'humble pie' to the Anet naysayers who have been saying if the customer won't pay for it why would they offer it. Evidently UA recognizes that a better customer experience will help them to attract/maintain passengers in Y which can only be a good thing.

codc10

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:25 pm

Quoting jayunited (Reply 35):
The standard mid-flight snack will still be available its not being taken away (which basically is just a small sandwich and a cookie or brownie) but for passengers who want more then they will soon have the option to buy a snack box the same snack boxes offered on domestic flights. In my opinion UA has some really good and tasty snack boxes. So if passengers don't want a snack box they don't have to buy it but the standard mid-flight snack will still be available for free.
Quoting United1 (Reply 40):

Not sure what your source is for that but you could be right....

Internally it has been confirmed that the mid-flight snack on transpacific and longhaul daytime transatlantic (>10h block time) will be removed in lieu of the snack boxes, which will also be available in additional markets throughout the flight.

On transpacific flights, this was often gelato or mini ice cream cups, which will now become the dessert (separately distributed) of the main service.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:37 pm

Nor do you expect to walk into a restaurant and get food for free. Should they not have free food on longhaul Y either?

Summa767

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:41 pm

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 37):

Please note my highlight. Northern South America is not long haul international. UA treats it as it would its domestic flights, whereas AA and DL do provide complimentary catering. As I said, I don't mind personally, and a free flight map would do, as paying for it is a bit much, but I have seen other pax perplexed when the competition do offer free IFE and catering on these routes.
UA says on the changes: "this significantly upgraded food and beverage experience June 1 on trans-Atlantic flights; service between the United States and Argentina, Brazil and Chile; and most trans-Pacific flights."

ikramerica

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:45 pm

They should provide unlimited food loaded with tryptophan and simply sleep complementary but charge for booze...

United1
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:59 pm

Quoting summa767 (Reply 45):
As I said, I don't mind personally, and a free flight map would do, as paying for it is a bit much, but I have seen other pax perplexed when the competition do offer free IFE and catering on these routes.

The IFE bit depends on the aircraft...

On the 737/753s with DirecTV there is a fee (note that is not paid to UA...UA gets a very small percentage of that from DTV)

On all other aircraft IFE is free be it streaming video, AVOD or overhead.

As you mentioned BOG...

The flight to EWR is on a 73G with DTV
The flights to IAH are on 752s with AVOD

Quoting codc10 (Reply 43):
Internally it has been confirmed that the mid-flight snack on transpacific and longhaul daytime transatlantic (>10h block time) will be removed in lieu of the snack boxes, which will also be available in additional markets throughout the flight.

OK...makes sense...thanks

caleb1

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:11 pm

Quoting EIRules (Reply 36):
I think ye are being a little harsh. United have been thrashed by many on here due to their poor food offerings in Y and their lack of booze versus their transatlantic rivals. Now they commit to addressing one completely and at least attemp to improve the other, yet people still aren't happy. Credit where it's due to UA. Yes there's far more to do such as improving lounges, reducing RJ flying etc but it's not as though DL or AA are the perfect example of the ultimate Y experience either

I think the reason why so many people are underwhelmed by United is Smisek. I have no basis in fact for the following statement, so please bear with me. I get the impression that Jeff Smisek allowed these positive changes to occur in Y not because they were good enhancements to the passenger experience, but it was done because he had to. If it were left to him, he would leave things exactly as they were. Tripping over dollars to save pennies type of mentality. That's what really burns me up about Smisek and his approach to running UAL. I want United to succeed, but not Smisek. These are positive changes and I do applaud the company for making them...no matter how/why they might have happened.

ytz

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:21 pm

Quoting IAHWorldFlyer (Reply 41):
When I opened up this thread I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't an April Fools joke.
Quoting bgm (Reply 12):
UA only copies the 'enhancements' (read: bad stuff) from DL.

I certainly thought that's what "Update" meant. Pleasant surprise to find out that it's a real update.

Quoting United Airline (Reply 30):
Oh finally we are getting something we should be getting. I do not salute to them.

Exactly. I don't get how actually doing your job should get you applause. The meal service is a very nice upgrade though.

Quoting Polot (Reply 34):
Well unless they stick you on Germanwings, Transavia, Jetstar etc which you notice are growing while the mother brand shorthaul stay rather stagnant.

Those discount brands come with discount prices too. US legacy carriers offer services closes to those carriers, with legacy prices.

Quoting summa767 (Reply 45):
I have seen other pax perplexed when the competition do offer free IFE and catering on these routes.

I was certainly perplexed a few weeks back to see that UA charges for live TV on my YYZ-MSY trip. That will go against them the next time I travel to the US. And then I purchased a snack box. And was utterly shocked at how poor the value is for the product. Won't do that again either. Air Canada has a BOB program here. And the portions and options are very decent.

BA0197

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:39 pm

Having lived in both the US and the UK (comparing cultures here)- I always have valued my free Bloody mary/ G&T/ beer / wine that I receive on my BA flights. It is the norm here and indeed BA are generous with it because it is part of the product that people expect. I will happily get through 2-3 drinks on a LHR-EUROPE flight and allow myself to enjoy the flying experience.

All this nonsense about "we will see more diverted flights" is quite funny. If that were the case the EU3 would be in for it! Now if we are going to argue about US v British/ European drinking standards- well, I'll leave that one for the good Airliners.net community to decide.

Good on UA for joining the list of real airlines.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos